Apr

Pettitte strong in return as Yankees pound Jays

Source: FanGraphs

This weekend’s three-game set in Toronto is a statement series for the Blue Jays, but instead it was the Yankees who made a statement on Friday night. That statement: AL East titles aren’t won in the offseason. You’ve gotten earn that sucker during the dog days. New York pounded their division rivals to the north and won the series opener 9-4. Let’s recap…

• Back Problems? What Back Problems?: Andy Pettitte returned to the mound after essentially having a start skipped due to back spasms, but he didn’t miss a beat. Three runs — including two on this mammoth Jose Bautista homer … I mean seriously, look at that thing — in 7.1 innings on just 90 pitches, including a healthy ten swings and misses. After the first inning, Andy allowed just two runners to make it as far as second base, and both came on the homer. Typical Andy. Not flashy, just supremely reliable.
  • All The Extra-Base Hits: The Yankees picked up a total of 13 hits in the game, but only three (!) were singles. Robinson Cano, Travis Hafner, Frankie Cervelli (two), and Ichiro Suzuki (two) all had doubles while Hafner and former Blue Jays Vernon Wells and Lyle Overbay hit homers. Brett Gardner chipped in a triple. They were all over starter Brandon Morrow, who was giving up rockets left and right. Even the outs were hit hard.
  • Leftovers: The Yankees scored two runs on Eduardo Nunez‘s sacrifice fly because Colby Rasmus’ throw home wound up in the dugout … Ichiro appears to be on the verge of a hot streak, with the two doubles in this game and a couple of line drive in the finale against the Diamondbacks … Shawn Kelley, a.k.a the Phil Hughes of the bullpen, allowed his #obligatoryhomer but otherwise closed things out in relief of Pettitte … both Kevin Youkilis and Wells have started to come back to Earth a bit, but Hafner just continues to mash. He’s up to .349/.440/.767 on the season. The inevitable injury is really going to suck. Man can he hit.

MLB.com has the box score and video highlights, FanGraphs the nerd score, and ESPN the updated standings. The Yankees will send Hiroki Kuroda to the mound against veteran finesseballer Mark Buehrle on Saturday afternoon, so it’ll be interesting/painful to see how the lineup handles the lefty.

Categories : Game Stories

1. Kramerica Industries says:

I would’ve thought a YES .gif would’ve been Leiter spilling his soda.

2. King George says:

Hey, I’m not sure which one of you called it last night…but that douche, Zack Hample, aka professional loser ballhound was the one who caught Gregorius’ first HR and then caught Cervelli. What a prick. Get a job, bro…

Whoever called it, well done. Someone literally wrote “Bet that’s that Yankee hater douche, Zack Hample.”

• Now Batting says:

Never heard of this guy, but why the hate? Sounds like a big baseball fan and he gave the ball back to Cervy.

• Barry says:

Looks like a tool to me.

#keeponhating

• Leg-End says:

I believe I was the one that called it.

I actually used to read his blog, I’ve nothing against ballhawkers and if they have the time and money to do it then good for them, I wish I did.

My biggest issue with him is his constant Yankee whining despite the fact he spends seemingly 50% of his time at Yankee Stadium (presumably because of his location). He’ll crap on anything from security to billboard facades, just catch your balls bro.

3. Eddard says:

Andy Pettitte could have a severed spinal cord and he’d still go out there and give you a quality start. And Frankie certainly is making a name for himself. Russell who? Russell I’m making 8 million a year and hitting .143, best non-signing Cashman ever made. The RHP lineup is pretty good with Hafner giving us a power presence in the middle that Fransisco doesn’t. Sucks that we’ll have to revert back to the LHP lineup tomorrow.

4. julio rambo says:

When did that happen? inning?

5. vicki says:

everybody schadenfreude!

6. Barry says:

29.40/hr and I still wish I would of been home watching the game.

• Crespo says:

300k a year?

• Mickey Scheister says:

That’s only 61k, assuming a 40 hour workweek or 73k working a 48 hour workweek, not including possible OT. Or as some peeps round these here parts say, celery.

• Barry says:

I WISH! Although with that much money I’d probably donate 2/3 to charity or just put random kids through college..

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I just hope 300K will be enough to put my own kid through college when the time comes.

• Barry says:

Haha, true I guess. I’m just hopeful I’ll be able to go back and finish some time in the next half decade. Seriously though, education being so expensive is doing nothing but destroying America’s future. Plus with 3d printing becoming more and more incredible every day, the world won’t need the industrial base it once did, I just don’t see what people are going to be doing for work.

• forensic says:

Very true. My wife works at a University and we would get a discount there, but I’m not one who wants to force him to a particular school.

We’ll see what happens, long way to go still…

• Barry says:

Do the right thing and send him to the cheapest reputable school. Where the degree comes from rarely makes a difference in my opinion. My dad always says how he “wishes he would of put his foot down and sent me to the cheaper(by about 80%) than to the school I chose to go to” and eventually became priced out of.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

So we both have kids the same age and wives working at universities.

• Mickey Scheister says:

I make 40.06 an hour and still managed to watch. C’mon man!

7. MB923 says:

Yankees win, Rangers win, suspect caught. Great start to the weekend.

8. Midland TX says:

Hector Noesi in mop-up work vs. TEX:

3.1 IP, 1 H, O R, 0 BB, 2 SO

#lostthetrade

9. forensic says:

It’s so cute seeing how happy they all are on the clip of that homer.

Almost like they were misreading the scoreboard and actually thought they were doing well in the game…

10. forensic says:

Not dwelling on it, since tomorrow is the main test, but Cano and Youkilis had another combined 0-2 against a lefty in this one.

For what it’s worth, against Buehrle Cano has terrific numbers (6-14 (.429), 2 2B, 2 HR, 1 BB, 0 K) but Youk doesn’t (3-19 (.158), 2 BB, 2 K).

Also of note:

Hafner: 17-69 (.246), 4 2B, 3 HR, 7 BB, 16 K
    Ichiro: 21-48 (.438), 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 BB, 3 K (hopefully he keeps going)
    Wells: 21-44 (.477), 4 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 4 BB, 3 K (hopefully he gets restarted)
    Boesch: 4-15 (.267)
    Overbay: 0-16, 7 K (good thing he wouldn’t be expected to play anyway)
    Francisco: 3-9 (.333), 1 BB
    Nix: 2-8 (.250), 1 HR, 1 BB, 1 K
    Gardner: 3-5 (.600), 1 HR

I know I said of note, but I got in the rhythm and just put them all. He’s never faced Cervelli, Nunez or Stewart.

• Havok9120 says:

Be nice if some of those guys keep it up. And if Joe and The Binder see Hafner’s possible power contribution as better than any of the alternatives. This stretch of lefties will give him plenty of opportunity for rest- this is exactly the kind of game where we should start him despite platoon and injury concerns.

• forensic says:

Also just noticed that Hafner has been hit by a pitch from Buerhle 6(!) times. No other pitcher has hit Hafner more than twice and Buerhle hasn’t hit any other batter more than twice.

Those two don’t seem like the kind of guys who would have a big problem with each other (or really anyone), so you would think it’s just a coincidence, but who knows.

• BigLoving says:

Curious to see how Girardi plays this out when they face Moore and Price

• forensic says:

There’s much less history against both of those guys for the in-and-out players, so I would assume it’ll be more of what we’ve been seeing.

One interesting note against Price though. Nix is 0-10 with 3 K while Overbay is 4-9 with 2 2B (and 4 K). If he sees these numbers, would he give Overbay a start just for these 10 AB histories?

I’m (too big) a sucker for batter-pitcher histories…

11. WhittakerWalt says:

Apropos of nothing, Harold Reynolds is complaining that Joey Votto walks too much. Reynolds says no one’s paying Votto to walk, they’re paying him to drive in runs.
    His advice? Votto has to “expand the strike zone.” The same thing we always yell at Cano for doing.
    This is why Harold Reynolds is terrible.

• forensic says:

He always says that. Hits are vastly better than walks in my opinion (I’m not on that a walk is as good as a hit bandwagon), but you don’t go swinging at crap just for the hell of it.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Well of course. Hits are always going to be better than walks. But Reynolds tried to illustrate his point by showing footage of Votto not swinging the bat, yet all of the footage he showed was Votto being pitched around. There weren’t any strikes for him to swing at, but Reynolds wants him to swing anyway.

12. Now Batting says:

I hate to come off as insensitive but I can’t understand why the capture of the second Boston Bomber is the main headline on espn.

• forensic says:

1. Because it involved the Boston Marathon, which means there is a bit of a sports connection.

2. Insert typical comment about ESPN and Boston here…

• forensic says:

Though I do understand where you’re coming from and think the whole thing has kind of gone overboard from the media (way overboard) to the citizens and even some of the reported actions of the PD’s there.

Unfortunately, it’s probably one of the unavoidable things at this point thanks in large part to the damn social media options out there now.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Not the first time a major non-sports event has been the top story.

13. WhittakerWalt says:

What do you think the headline should have been?

14. mick taylor says:

Overboard? You are piece of s. Tell that to victims and their familes of these jihadist terrorists.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Lets throw the word “jihad” around like its fucking candy. Yay!

• Jim Is (not) Bored says:

I’m not sure if I’d like or dislike “fucking candy”. Is it candy that you fuck? Candy that helps with the fucking process?

I need to know!

• MannyGeee says:

In fairness, to call the bombers ‘jihadist’ is almost more insensitive than what Now Batting said. The term Jihadist refers to Islamic Fundamentalism. If ypu’re gonna use the word, be aware.

These dudes that blew up Boston could not have been less Islamic if they were eating bacon by the pound when they planted the bombs. You literally could have called them “towel heads” and got the same message across.

And while on topic, I am not happy that this happened to Boston. I would be as unhappy about it if it happened in Houston, Dallas, Portland, San Fran or St Paul… HOWEVER, the only thing that has relieved me throughout this whole thing is the one thing you inferred: The terrorists were NOT ISLAMIC. Because ANYONE who has access to Social Media of any sort knows that by 4PM Monday you all know someone who was throwing around “Terrorist from the Middle East” accusations.

Its the “know it all-ism” from people who don’t know shit that really irks me, so to see the vast majority of “the Great Unwashed” be so blatantly wrong about their ignorant assumptions (kinda like how they said the black president sucked because he’s trying to ruin the country instead of admitting that some of the hate mongering is racially biased… jus sayin) makes me feel only slightly satisfied about how things played out.

/rant

#comeatmebro

• trr says:

only gonna say this once.
        always left unsaid is the role of religion in sociecty. it has become a devise to separate people into different categories, making it easier to fear, then demonize, anyone who believes differently – try speaking about this to someone who’s devout and watch how irrational they become. labels mean nothing to me. I despise hate and ignorance wherever I find it and whatever it calls itself. I don’t give a fuck what these guys believed in or why. We’ve see the same bloody, murderous results for the last 10,000 years. It won’t stop until people cast aside their differences, especially religion, and learn to embrace their humanity.

• Jim Is Bored says:

And I’ll only say this once.

Casting a net over all people who are religious is just as insensitive as what every one else is doing in this particular thread.

• trr says:

I cast no nets and seek only to break down walls, of which religion is the most enduring and intractable
            Consider the role of religion throughout the sorry history of mankind and it’s easy to see what I mean

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I get the sentiment, but I can be both a Christian and not a fundamentalist who puts themselves above others.

• trr says:

Anyway, I didn’t come here to argue, certainly not to proselytize….

You might say our allegiance to our sports teams is almost a religion. For me, it’s more like a relationship. I’m 57, I’ve been a Yankee fan for 50 of those 57 years. That’s longer than almost any realtionshup I’ve had with any person , place, or thing
            in this world. Like any long-term relationship, it has its ups and downs, but I stay faithful and committed to the end.

• andrew j says:

I agree. A catholic here who finds a lot of what religion stands for so, how shall I say it, undemocratic, so un-american

15. Mick taylor says:

What do think their motivations were for setting those bombs? Let’s see,Russia warns us the older brother is a Muslim radical, the f.bi believes it is serious enough to interview him 3 years ago, these terrorists post on their websites sympatheitic messages for jihadistsand they do what jihadists do which is set bombs and kill innocent people. what would you call them sweetie?

• Jim Is Bored says:

Why would we call them sweetie?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I call them entitled to due process.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

And not for their protection, but for yours and mine.

• Mick taylor says:

Sorry I insulted these lovely young men who come to our country,are given freeeducation, were receiving government handouts,welfare,because they were unemployed,and use their time murdering innocent Americans. With videos showing them planting the bomb next to the 8 year old they blew to pieces, with their identificationby numerous law enforcement officers they shot at and threw bombs at , they will get their due process and be convicted.

16. MannyGeee says:

Same old Sorry Ass Blue Jays. Nothing to see here

17. Jim Is (not) Bored says:

Temporary new weekend handle, per RT’s request.

I hope Andy pitches until he’s 90.