Apr

Saturday Night Open Thread

Here’s your open thread for the evening. All three hockey locals are playing, and I’m sure there’s baseball on somewhere. Oh, and I guess the Final Four is on as well. You know how this stuff works, so have at it.

Categories : Asides, Open Thread

1. forensic says:

There’s the final four too!

2. Preston says:

Thoroughly disappointing bull-pen today.

• forensic says:

Just today? Before today’s game, they arguably had the second worst numbers of any bullpen in the majors. I’m sure they’re closer to the worst now.

3. who cares says:

Joba Chamberlain is such a waste of talent what a bust. I am so happy I didn’t pay for the mlb package.

4. Eddard says:

A sweep is likely tomorrow. Our so called good lineup couldn’t even hit Verlander last year and the only player who did manage to hit him was injured yesterday. CC couldn’t even throw 90 mph his first outing, what chance does he have against this Tiger lineup?

Overbay, Youk, Hafner, Wells all performing. Who is failing us? The players we already had- Cano, Gardner, Joba, Logan.

• Bob Buttons says:

Actually pretty sure we scored 5 runs or more off him last year at some point.

• forensic says:

They hung in there alright against him in April and June last year and he dominated them in August and October. Scored 5 runs in both April and June starts, but both also involved unearned runs.

5. Andy says:

Rafael DePaula’s first start in the USA was today. 4.1 innings, 2 R, 5 H, 1 BB, 11 K(!). Impressive first start, I hope he can give our minor league pitching a boost this season.

• Bo Knows says:

And not a single one of those balls were hard hit apparently. Tje 1st run scored off a bunt single, the 2nd came from a reliever allowing the man to score. It might sound early but if De Paula has a similarline or bwtter over the next 4-5 starts I would like the yankees to bump him up to tampa.

• Andy says:

I agree, he’s already 22 so he should be promoted fairly aggressively. I wonder if he’ll be able to make it to AA ball by season’s end.

• Bo Knows says:

I hope so, it really bodes well for him to be generating that many whiffs and that much weak contact. Hopefully Patterson sees it as well (which he probably does)

6. Kramerica Industries says:

Of all the things to focus on today, all I’m going to say is to get that doddering piece of shit, Jobber, off this fucking baseball team.

Seriously. Fuck that guy.

7. Gonzalo Hiram says:

We need a lefty specialist instead of Warren or Kelley, Logan isn’t a bad reliever but he isn’t amazing against lefty hitters, last year that role was for Rapada.

Wells, Hafner and Youkilis are doing a good job.

Besides our supposed to be good pitchers, Cano and Gardner are killing the team.

It would be good to get Casper Wells and get rid of Francisco or Boesch.

8. Crespo says:

Axisa,

What do you think of doing a piece about the career of Joba up to this point? I think we could all use some clarity about what went wrong with that whole situation.

• Bob Buttons says:

I bet one word can sum it up.

Everything.

• matt montero says:

If he knew the exact reason, he would be working for the Yankees. It’s pretty tough to determine whether it was something in his development, rushing him to the majors, injuries, mishandling, or just being overrated. It’s probably some combination of all (or some) of those factors, but I would be interested in reading that too.

• Crespo says:

I would just like greater detail as I didn’t pay as close attention to the team as I do now and it seems as if the situation w Joba was one of the most important events in recent Yankee history

• WhittakerWalt says:

A little bit of all those things. It also didn’t help that he was SO phenomenal when he first came up at the end of the year. Nobody could be as good as he was in that 7 week period. He was bound to disappoint after that.

9. Slu says:

Well, I am off my whole small sample size thing. This team sucks. It is difficult to watch.

10. Manny's BanWagon says:

The pitching staff better get there’s shit together fast because if they give up more than 4 runs its pretty much game over.

11. RonNY says:

Thank God for SU! Go CUSE!!!!

12. AMANDA says:

HAL MUST OF BEEN JEALOUS HIS DAD LOVED THE YANKS MORE THEN HIM HE RUINED THE YANKEES BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO