May

2013 Draft: Baseball America Mock Draft v1.0

Jim Callis of Baseball America posted his first mock draft today, and the link is free for all. You don’t need a subscription. He has the Astros and Cubs taking Stanford RHP Mark Appel and former Yankees draft pick/Oklahoma RHP Jonathan Gray first and second overall, respectively, which is no surprise. Those two are the clear top two prospects this spring.

The Yankees have three first round picks, and Callis has them taking Notre Dame 3B Eric Jagielo (#26), New Jersey HS LHP Rom Kaminsky (#32), and Oklahoma HS C Jon Denney (#33) with those picks. I wrote up profiles on Jagielo and Kaminsky, and Denney is the classic offensive-minded catcher the Yankees always crave. He’s a right-handed bat who projects to hit for both power and average, but although he has a strong arm and quick release, his defense needs work overall. Scouting director Damon Oppenheimer has drafted just one college bat higher than the third round during his tenure, so Jagielo would be bucking the trend with that 26th pick.

Categories : Asides, Draft

1. Gonzo says:

Mike, do you think targeting Ryan Boldt is wise now that he’ll probably slip in the draft?

2. trr says:

interesting – thanks for sharing!

3. RetroRob says:

Regarding DO’s past drafting patterns, I pretty much will throw his history out the window now. The new CBA changes things substantially to the point where the Yankees drafting approach will be entirely different.

4. Wayne says:

Mike with the first 3 picks I think Kyle Richter USC Kent Emmanuel UNC and JD Busfield from Valencia high school as being the best picks if they were available. I see Richter ‘s delivery and he reminds me of Tom Seaver from the left side he is that compact. JD Busfield is going to be an ace in my eyes with his size delivery and height .. Kent Emmanuel is a top 3 starter. I see Richter and Busfield as future aces and Emmanuel as a three starter. Where do you see these guys going in this years draft? I would take position players with the other top picks if you drafted these guys first would you?

5. Dalek Jeter says:

It’d be really cool if they take Rob. I know it’d be his brother’s dream come true, and all of his brother’s friends nightmares come true (all Met fans, and one Red Sox fan).

6. NickSD says:

I actually know 2 of the top 3 guys personally:

I played against Mark throughout travel ball and HS and it’s been pretty funny to have seen him rise to this poisiton. Although he was always a big prospect with big time stuff, he was never very good, and he wasn’t even one of the starters on his HS staff. He was actually behind Christian Jones, who is at Oregon and will probably be drafted in one of the first few rounds, and another guy who went to UWashington and is now at CSU Chico. All in all, Mark is sort of a religious maniac who will never get into any trouble but who may have a hard time adjusting to life in pro ball.

I go to school with Bryant right now and I’ve seen him a lot in the last 3 years. The dude is a beast, who also stays out of trouble (I’ve never seen him at any bars or parties in Pacific Beach). Guy was born to hit a baseball.

7. Larch says:

From a gaming the system perspective: What are the chances they intentionally pick a player the don’t intend to sign so they can use the pick next year?

I ask because Many experts are saying this is a weak year.

Also, do you folks think there any benefit to spreading out the picks by year? Ex: 4 first round in one year (4,1,1), or 2 each for three years (2,2,2).

8. Reggie C. says:

Right now, the way the Yankees have drafted low-ceiling, high-risk High Schoolers in the first round, I wouldn’t mind a switch to a more known commodity of a college hitter. I like Jagielo’s track record, and, by season’s end he’ll probably have cemented a first round selection with some club.

9. Greg says:

I’ve seen Denney projected to go much, much higher than that most places