May

A non-inclusive list of things George Steinbrenner hasn’t done since 2010

Ghost Boss.

Ghost Boss.

When the Yanks completed their series to forget against the Mets last night, I knew someone would write it, and of course, Ian O’Connor drew the short straw. Keep in mind that George Steinbrenner had not been well for some time and passed away at the age of 80 in 2010. Allow me then to present a non-inclusive list of things the Boss would have done if he were still alive.

If the Boss were alive…

Perhaps it’s time to put this tired trope to bed.

Categories : NYC Sports Media

1. jsbrendog says:

my god sportswriters fucking suck, huh? sweet jesus

2. bigweiner says:

WWSD = instant story for hack writers

3. Mister D says:

Pooped. He would have pooped a lot of times.

4. mt says:

Thank you, Mike for pointing out this tired garbage – I was expecting the same thing – these sportswriters are so shameless – tired trope, indeed – when I saw headline of O’Connor article (who I normally like) I decided that was one I could skip.

These same sportswriters who all predicted before season Yanks would be in last (some of them predicted last even if some of of the stars like Jeter/Arod came back) now are acting so shocked and horrified that Yanks now are stumbling – not taking into account the pretty heavy level of new injuries that have occurred since they all predicted this before season.

Whenver I see these articles I get disgusted – life goes on, even for Yankees – people change and organizations tarnsition as people leave and/or die – who cares what GMS would have done – he’s dead (bless his soul) and I am saying that in a respectful way.

Also these are the same sportswriters who also point out that much of the Yankee success in the late 90s and early 2000s may not have occurred if GMS had not been suspended for the Spira incident – so these same sportswriters have it both ways (love GMS/hate GMS) like they always do.

5. FEED.ME.MORE! says:

Boy, the writers in the Metro area are imbecilic troll-baiting sacks of shit.

Look, the Subway Series was terrible. But the answer to our ills is to NOT do as George would have. In my time watching the Yankees (22 years), the LESS G.M.S. got involved in the everyday running of the ballclub, the better.

6. George Steinbrenner says:

you forgot:

TRADE ALL THE PROSPECTS

7. steves says:

Let me add one. If the Boss were still alive the Mets sweep would have killed him!

8. Robinson Tilapia says:

You are a god among men, Kabak.

I miss shit like this. Not gon lie.

9. sevrox says:

The RAB hex is killing Tyler Austin – please have him removed (and I did vote for his appearance on the ‘watch’ list).

10. FEED.ME.MORE! says:

It has gotten to the point where I don’t even read MSM on the Yankees.

There is no actual analysis. There is no long term vision. The articles are almost always negative, and even the positive ones include back handed compliments or gripes about Hal.

You would think that kind of stuff would be for a bad team or poorly run franchise. This kind of foolishness is written about a franchise that has missed the playoffs once in damn near two decades.

They get hit with “TEH YANKS DON’T MAKE PROSPECTZZ!!!!”, but have as many good homegrown players as any big market franchise.

“They haven’t developed a front-line starter since Andy Pettitte”. As if it’s so easy to develop borderline HOF pitchers. Look at all the other big spending teams and show me how many aces they develop.

They say “the Yanks traded for Pineda because they can’t develop an ace”, but then turn around and kiss Detroit’s ass for trading for Scherzer and Fister and Anibal Sanchez. As great as Verlander is, you think the Tigers would win with just him and 4 replacement level arms?

“The Yanks need to be about pitching and defense, like the Giants or Rays.” So they spend the first two months pitching well and scoring fewer runs (and leading the division), and, GUESS WHAT!? the writers bitch and moan about the lack of offense. WTF?

“The Yanks haven’t developed a great position player since Jeter”. A Bill Madden special. As if Robinson Cano flew here from the planet Plutarck.

I read sports sections for comic relief, nothing more.

RANT OVER!

• jjyank says:

Honestly, I can’t remember the last time I legitimately read a MSM article on any baseball team. The only exception is when someone posts a link here to make fun of an article, and I’ll skim it so I can join in on the fun. RAB, LoHud, and MLBTR are really my only sources of Yankee/baseball news. I’ll watch some MLBN too, but only until Harold Reynolds pisses me off.

11. Zack D says:

They’ve waited nearly two months for the Yankees to hit a low spot, finally get their chance to write articles they will be laughed at in Sept/Oct, although that’d only matter if journalism had any accountability. Don’t say anything ( too) racist or sexist, be wrong with 90% of your analysis, yell louder than the guy next to you, become a celebrity by bashing players for made up nonsense, and get a nice salary.

12. fishfin says:

need more players who can Bunt

13. ROBTEN says:

“Perhaps it’s time to put this tired trope to bed.”

How about we put you to bed. You’re fired.

Sincerely,
    Hypothetical George Michael Steinbrenner III

P.S. Get me Zombie Billy Martin!

P.P.S. Where’s my eggplant calzone?!?!?

14. Coolerking101 says:

They forget:

Would have called down to the dugout to get Jason Nix pulled from the game and immediately released following his 1st inning error vs the Mets.

15. trr says:

I guess most of this is supposed to be in jest. I’ll echo what most of the other posters have written, this isn’t much of an article. Truth is, there’s more cogency, coherence, and wit in the nightly game threads here than a dozen articles by the, ahem, professional writers.

GS was an impatient, angry, rude, infuriating and often ignorant student of the game. But also his passion for winning was unmatched then, now, maybe forever. He thrilled us and embarassed us. So what is his true legacy? A mixed bag of the good, the bad, the ugly, and the occasional bright shining moment.

Kinda like the rest of us.

16. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

This is really awesome. Reminds of FireJoeMorgan (RIP).

17. jjyank says:

Nice to see you back, Ben. Thanks for that round up. Truly is amazing how many writers seem to lay in wait for the Yankees to stumble for a week or two so that they may get back to bashing them.

18. WhittakerWalt says:

I know we’re not supposed to speak ill of the dead, but the Steinbrenner hagiographers need to give it a rest. He was a terrible person and oftentimes a terrible owner. The longest sustained periods of Yankees success occurred when he was out of the picture. He hated losing? Gee, that’s a unique trait.

19. D$1184 says:

The great ’98 Yankees got off to a bad start too (1-5, I think?) and Steinbrenner didn’t fire Torre then. The other side can’t even claim the popular “Well, Torre was untouchable after having won so much” argument at that point either because at that point, he had won one World Series and even only one AL East crown (Yankees snuck into the ’97 post season as the Wild Card).

20. Brian in MA says:

I was just thinking this myself when i saw that Ian O’Connor piece on ESPN.com. enough! Big Stein passed away 3 years ago, and even in the last few years, it was more Hank, Hal and Levine calling the shots with Cash.

Gotta sell papers and page-view though, right?

21. lightSABR says:

There is exactly one “If the Boss were here” I care about:

If the Boss were here, there’d be no moronic plan to get under $189m next season.