May

A-Rod cleared to begin baseball activities

Alex Rodriguez and his surgically repaired left hip have been cleared to begin baseball activities, Brian Cashman confirmed. He has been able to run at full speed and will head to Tampa to continue rehabbing on Monday.

A-Rod, 37, has surgery in early-January and started light running last month. Cashman stuck to the original timetable when asked about a return date, meaning they’re still not expecting him back until after the All-Star break. I’m of the “whatever they get out of him this year is gravy” mindset, they can’t count on him for anything in 2013, but it is good to hear he’s progressing.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. One of my friends posted this on Facebook. Thought it was hilarious. It’s Artie Lange going off on an Arod rant.

2. Mike Eder says:

Make what you want of it, but in 2009, Alex Gordon had the same hip surgery. He was cleared to start running in June, and returned in mid-July.

Obviously Arod is older with more mileage, but he’s also been running for sometime now. If Gordon’s timetable means anything, it would probably mean that Arod would come back in early-to-mid June.

Much different circumstances here, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Yankees are giving a conservative return date just to get the media off Arod’s tail.

3. Betty Lizard says:

Yes, I know.
    And that too.
    But still . . .
    Hooray!

4. Robinson Tilapia says:

How many people would it piss off if he returned and just tore the shit out of the ball? A lot, you say? COME BACK AND TEAR THE SHIT OUT OF THE BALL, ALEX.

In all seriousness, though, I want him to do it because I’m sick of the nonsense and will really only care about him if he’s hitting. That or retire. You already have millions piled upon your billions.

• Dan6767 says:

I totally agree. Either hit the damn ball or retire.

• Laz says:

I completely agree. All those people trying to play it off all winter that there is a huge chance he never plays again. He isn’t 80 years old, hit surgery in your 30′s is completely recoverable.

• A-Rod's first dealer says:

“hip surgery in your 30?s is completely recoverable.”….perhaps for an average joe like us but for an elite level athlete, it may complicate things.

I always liked A-rod as a player.

5. Andy E says:

According to fangraphs wRC+, Vernon Wells is having a career year.
    139 wRC+

6. jjyank says:

I hope A-Rod kills it when he comes back. Relatively speaking, I know he’ll never be the A-Rod of old. But there are so many Yankee fans that want him to retire or be too injured to never play again, and that pisses me off. I hate that mindset, and I think A-Rod can still be an above average 3B going forward. So I will say this: fuck anyone who doesn’t wish a player on their team a speedy and comprehensive recovery. I hope A-Rod can at least reproduce 2012 levels, and I hope he comes back strong from this surgery.

• Mickey Scheister says:

All of this. I agree wholeheartedly. Get back soon Alex, and be productive!

• Laz says:

I agree.
      He is overpaid sure, but last year alex was 12th in the league for offensive production from 3B with at least 400 PA. .272/.353/.430 is still solid production. Not to mention we could use the .308/.410/.514 vs lhp of last year.

7. Andy E says:

According to fangraphs wRC+, Travis Hafner is having a career year.
    181 wRC+

8. shittyshittybangbang says:

Could be the nyy are bracing for an mlb suspension. Thus, lowering return expectations, etc.,,,,

• Mickey Scheister says:

I don’t think so. I’d think they’d need more tangible evidence to suspend a player, regardless of their previous association with PEDs. He’s older and needs more time to get in baseball shape, I’d imagine especially concerning hips with rotation, balance etc.

• Laz says:

MLB has nothing. PA will fight any suspension, because suspension would lose Arod money. No way really to suspend him without the positive drug test.

• hornblower says:

None of us know if he will be able to hit. We can only speculate on MLB’s actions. Notice, however, that the Yankees rarely refer to him in any way unless they are asked. It seems like they would rather not count on him.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Things are so much less likely to be based on conspiracy theories than we think. Life is actually pretty boring.

They want him back so he can earn his contract by doing his job.

9. Steve (different one) says:

There is literally no outcome for ARods season that would surprise me. 20 HRs in 2 months? Sure. Having a setback and not coming back at all? Ok. Coming back and sucking? Possible. Coming back in time for a 50 game suspension? Why not?

Nothing could surprise me with ARod anymore.

10. Get Phelps Up says:

I hope we have trouble getting Alex, Youk, Hafner and Tex all in the lineup in July.

11. dkidd says:

by “baseball activities” they mean “taking steroids”, right?

12. Eddard says:

I hope he gets suspended and retires. We don’t need him hanging around the clubhouse. If MLB can put a case together by the time he’s ready to come back then he’ll be suspended for the rest of the year and the Yankees can tell him to go home like the Giants did with Melky.

13. Manny's BanWagon says:

I hope he does well because I’m a Yankee fan first and foremost but I could never cheer for him again and I’m gonna have a hard time seeing his phony lying ass step foot on field at YS3 like he did nothing wrong.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Is there really any actual proof that he did anything wrong?

• Manny's BanWagon says:

You have to be pretty naive to not think where there’s smoke there’s also fire.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

So where’s the smoke? All I’ve noticed are a bunch of officials from MLB yelling “FIRE, FIRE!!!”

Give me a real reason, even a lame one, for me to believe that A-Rod actually did something wrong in this case, and maybe I will.

• freddy says:

Agreed. I love the Yankees and will always root for the team, but I never cheer for Andy Pettitte anymore. He admitted to using PEDs, he lied about it, then gave a phony press conference saying he was sorry and everyone acts as if all is forgiven or that what he did is different than what any other PED user did. He’s an admitted CHEATER just like A-Rod. Cheating is cheating, period. I wish he would retire already. Every time he takes the mound it makes me sick that people cheer for him when he’s just as guilty of cheating the public as A-Rod or any other cheater who disgraces the game. It’s a shame because I used to like him, but as soon as you cheat the game, I have no use for you anymore. As a ballplayer or as a person. He’s a weasel and a lowlife, no better than A-Rod or other cheaters.

14. forensic says:

As an unabashed, unrealistic A-Rod fan (who still counts him among my favorite players), I can’t wait to see him back sometime in June slamming homers into the visitor’s bullpen.

Seriously though, whenever he does come back, I sure hope he proves everyone wrong and forces the fans to cheer for him (at least after all his good AB’s, people who hate him are still certainly going to take any chance they can get to boo) as he hopefully helps the team toward the postseason.

15. shittyshittybangbang says:

C’mon guys, anyone who follows baseball, who follows the nyy, who doesn’t honestly feel that AROD had recently continued ped use, is lying to themselves. Proof ?! Circumstantial, tangible and implication (via witnesses or otherwise) has to count for something. MLB has repeatedly said that a “positive” will not be necessary for suspension. Especially with the likes of Ryan Braun making a mockery of mlb’s anti ped laws.