May

Saturday Night Open Thread

(Presswire)

(Presswire)

Here is your open thread for this chilly evening. Apparently some parts of the Northeast actually got snow today, but thankfully not around here. The Braves and Mets (Minor vs. Gee) are on FOX, though some of you might see Nationals-Phillies (Pettibone vs. Haren) or Cardinals-Dodgers (Gast vs. Lilly) instead. Boo blackouts. There’s also some NBA and NHL playoff action as well — click over to NBC Sports Network to catch the end of the Rangers trying to save their season against the Bruins. Talk about any of that stuff and more here. Have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Eddard says:

They just keep on winning. The pitching has been phenomenal. EL Nuno again today with a good performance. They should send Nova down to AAA and have double barrel lefties in the pen. They’ve now secured at least a .500 road trip through Baltimore and Tampa and that’s all you can ask from a ball club on the road.

2. The Doctor says:

Huge props to Nuno (or Nuño I don’t even know which it is at this point), nothing flashy but he just keeps grinding it out. Not sure if this is just a classic soft tossing rookie lefty example or if he could legitimately be a solid back end piece going forward, but whatever it is I’m loving the way it’s going right now.

When Mo came in I said that I was honestly a little nervous when he pitched these days because logically he just HAS to screw up at some point.

Then he came out and was pretty much the best I’ve ever seen him.

I’m sorry for my sins.

• vicki says:

low k/9 and gb%; it’s got to be smoke and mirrors, right?

• Deathstroke Heathcott says:

He’s Big Game Vidal Nuno, he pitches beyond his peripherals.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

Maybe it’s League novelty, which would wear off with a few spins around the block. I am NOT complaining however. Kudos to Nuno…

• The Doctor says:

Probably, but certain soft-tossing lefties (i.e. Mark Buehrle) end up outperforming their peripherals. Not like it’s a guaranteed case every time but I think there’s a chane he could stick as a #5 type. Wouldn’t be remotely surprised if after a few times through he gets too exposed and loses it, but I’ll enjoy it while it lasts.

I initially thought you were talking about Mo and was just a tiny bit confused haha.

3. trr says:

Great, Great win!

4. Travis L. says:

A great job by everyone today, but I can feel completely justified in saying that if not for Claiborne, we wouldn’t have won this game. He picked up both Kelley and Logan, pitching a total of two solid innings. He is up to 13 innings without a walk. Glad he’s on our team!

5. Pseudoyanks says:

Wow what a win. Guess I shouldn’t have headed out to grab dinner before the last out. Brutal night in NYC though. Worst birthday weather in NYC ever in my life.

6. Mike N says:

WOOO!!

7. Bob Buttons says:

Bayern over Dortmund!

Not that I pay attention to Bundesliga any more, but still a minor Bayern fan.

8. Wheels says:

30-18 is nothing to sneeze at.

• SDM says:

Especially with a lineup that would honestly look very at home if it had “Houston Astros” on the banner. I don’t know what’s happening but this team is so much fun to watch. For me they were the exact opposite of last year, which was really frustrating in a lot of moments to me.

9. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Oh hey, guys. We won the game. da fuq?

10. Pseudoyanks says:

Anyone else wondering (just a little) if Tex can play 3B? Just kidding.

11. Favrest says:

Can someone break Teixeira’s finger too? And then Arod’s?

12. Favrest says:

I’m just kidding. I’m tired of all this team baseball. When are the assholes coming back?

13. The Real Greg says:

Interesting stat. Including today, the Yankees have the best record in baseball in games started by opposing left handers.

They are 11-4. Now of course, that doesn’t mean the lefty takes the loss, but it’s still interesting.

14. Vern Sneaker says:

On the remote pitch by pitch between Yanks 9th inning heroics and the winning 10th and the Rangers game (*weeping*). Some solace from the fantastic comeback. Totally impressed.