May

Yankees steal a win from Rays in extra innings

Source: FanGraphs

The Yankees had no business winning this game, and that’s not the first time I’ve written that this season. Maybe it’s just confirmation bias, but this team seems to have a knack for these dramatic, late-inning, come-from-behind wins. They looked helpless for the first eight frames before rallying late and walking away with their first series win in Tropicana Field since April 2010, nine series ago. Let’s recap…

• Shoot Dem Arrows: A first-inning Travis Hafner single produced the only run the Yankees scored against Matt Moore and various relievers until Fernando Rodney entered the game with a two-run lead in the eighth. He retired the first two men he faced before walking Lyle Overbay in a full count. After he took second on a defensive indifference balk, Brennan Boesch poked a double into the left field corner on an emergency hack, plating one run and putting the tying run in scoring position. Brett Gardner singled him in one batter later. The bases were empty with two outs and two strikes, but the Yankees turned it into a game-tying two-run rally. Incredible.
  • Numero Nuno: In his second big league start, Vidal Nuno held the high-powered Rays to two runs on five hits and one walk in six innings. He held them scoreless until the fifth, and frankly I didn’t think he should have started the seventh. Tampa seemed to have his stuff timed the third time through the order. James Loney led the inning off with a single before the bullpen coughed up two runs. Nuno wasn’t great but he was solid. Remember, we’re talking about the team’s seventh starter, maybe eighth depending on how your faith in Michael Pineda. Can’t ask for much more.
  • Death, Then Life By Bullpen: Shawn Kelley and Boone Logan each allowed a hit to the only man they faced in the seventh, contributing to two runs that gave theRays a 3-1 lead. Preston Claiborne came in to bail them out before throwing another scoreless inning, then David Robertson and Ivan Nova first scoreless innings in the ninth and tenth, respectively. Nova made a big mess, loading the bases with one out before escaping the jam with a strikeout and a ground ball. It was an ugly outing, but give him credit for the zero in the run column.
  • Loverbay: It seems like every time the Yankees have one of these big comeback wins, Overbay is in the middle of it. After drawing the two-out walk to spark the game-tying rally in the ninth, he hit the go-ahead solo homer off rapist Josh Lueke in the 11th inning. It was gone off the bat, a no-doubt blast to right. It probably would have landed in the second deck in Yankee Stadium, though I can’t be sure. Either way, it was a huge homer. Huge.
  • Leftovers: Mariano Rivera struck out two for his 18th save (in 18 chances) in the 11th and looked especially nasty. Like four swings and misses out of nine total pitches nasty … underrated moment of the game: Ichiro Suzuki‘s sliding catch of Yunel Escobar’s line drive with one out in the ninth. If the ball drops in, it’s game over since there was a man on second … Robinson Cano and Vernon Wells went 0-for-8 while the rest of the lineup went 9-for-32. Any time those two want to snap out of their slumps is cool with me … Gardner had two hits and a walk and is quietly on fire of late, though he did get thrown stealing second to end the ninth. He needs to stay put so Cano can hit with a man on in a tie game.

MLB.com has the box score and video highlights, FanGraphs some other stats, and ESPN the updated standings. Both the Red Sox and Orioles won, so they remain two and four back in the loss column, respectively. The Rays fall to six back. The Yankees will try to finish off their first series sweep at Tropicana Field since April 2008* on Sunday, when CC Sabathia gets the ball against Alex Cobb.

* That sweep in April 2008 was only a two-game series. Their last sweep of a three-game series at the Trop came in September 2005 (!).

Categories : Game Stories

1. Get Phelps Up says:

99.1% WE for the Rays at one point.
    I’d call that a pretty good comeback!

2. Deep Thoughts says:

“Rapist Josh Lueke?” Enjoy the lawsuit.

• Bob Buttons says:

He actually is a rapist. They made a big fuss about it a few years back when Seattle got him in the Lee trade, and some said they weren’t aware of that.

• Aron Barr says:

A comment like that has no business in a YES-affiliated publication. It’s a low-blow from the one guy at RAB I wouldn’t really expect it from.

At his legal worst, he’s an alleged rapist. Condemning someone for something they were never convicted for is poor form. His legal history from 5 years ago has no bearing on a 2013 MLB Baseball game.

• vicki says:

he pled no contest and did time for false imprisonment with violence. how about some outrage and indignation for the real victim?

• Pat D says:

Hey, guess what? He got off the more severe charges by pleading down, not by being innocent.

He’s a piece of shit and he can be called such anywhere at any time for any reason.

Don’t like that Mike said it? Door’s on your left.

• Alex F. says:

Well actually, the door to his left is the storage closet. The exit door would be to his right.

• Aron Barr says:

He can be the biggest piece of shit on the planet, but I don’t stop by RAB to read about people’s legal problems. Also, assuming someone who made a mistake (regardless of magnitude) can’t rehabilitate themselves is pretty petty too.

One minor professionalism faux paus isn’t going to cause me to stop reading what 99% of the time is the best Yankee analysis on the web. Ignoring offenses or pretending they don’t exist is actually a great way to reinforce that behavior, not deter it.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I don’t consider calling out rapists for their disgusting behavior a “faux pas”.

I don’t know when Mike started talking about other people’s legal problems. That’s all you. All Mike said was that he’s a rapist. Which he is.

Rape is not a “legal problem”. Rape is a sick, twisted act committed by a sick individual.

Also, when he gives evidence that he rehabilitated himself, I’ll believe it. But quite beyond that, Mike never said he can’t rehabilitate himself.

The dude is a shit and approving of causing a rapist displeasure is something I’m all for.

• Matt DiBari says:

Locking my keys in the car is a mistake. What Lueke did seems worse, no?

• Bob Buttons says:

He committed false imprisonment, his semen was in the victim (via DNA testing), and he served time for it. I suppose someone would consent to see while being held prisoner?

Should I assume that you were one of those calling for a stiffer sentence on Gary Plauche?

• Now Batting says:

I would bitch slap you immediately if you tried to defend a rapist to my face.

• your mom says:

Everytime I see/hear the word rapist I’ll be thinking of Josh Lueke. Awesome.

• Wolfgang's Fault says:

Yeah, Mike, tell us what you really think.

• Pinkie Pie says:

Regardless of the fact that Josh Lueke is a POS, I agree that including that little tidbit into the game recap was in pretty bad taste.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

It’s in bad taste if we’re talking about graffiti vandalism.

Rape? As far as I’m concerned let the world know and humiliate him.

3. nycsportzfan says:

I don’t think Gardner needed to be not running in that situation at all. We just grabbed momentum, and have our fastest runner on 1st, whos also been hot with the SB’s lately, and there were 2outs, so why not try and get em to 2nd for teams best hitter and momentum on your side?

Preston Claiborne has been a huge help for this team. I don’t know where this team would be without Claiborne, Nuno, Warren, and Phelps ths yr?

I was calling for Giardi to PH for Boesch when David Adams was up and we had 2outs, and needed 2runs to tie it late. As it worked out, he saved em perfectly, and he came through with a clutch double down the left field line. This team just continues to have unhearalded players involved in clutch wins every game it seems.

4. forensic says:

Rodney came in for the 9th inning, not the 8th, and Overbay moved to second on a balk, not defensive indifference (though he would’ve moved on the DI if not for the balk).

This is two straight for Nuno now. There’s no ‘b’ in “Numero”. I’m not sure what leaving the b in there does. It actually takes away from it…

Briefly saw the two grounders off Kelley and Logan. The defense sure let them down there. It would’ve really sucked if that was how they ended up losing. Both probably should’ve been caught, especially the Overbay one.

Nova was just trying to fit into the bullpen, doing his best Robertson impression.

And so continues why I don’t like Cano batting second. Gardner’s in a no-win situation now. If he doesn’t go, he’s just useless anchored to the base as usual. If he goes and doesn’t get caught, then he should’ve stayed put because now they can walk Cano. If he goes and does get caught (which every baserunner will at times), then he ruined the whole chance for Cano.

• sangreal says:

Noticed the Numbero/numero thing awhile ago but figured I was crazy because nobody else mentioned it. Glad that’s cleared up now

5. mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

“The Yankees had no business winning this game…”

They also have no business being this good with this roster or being in first place and so on.

“Maybe it’s just confirmation bias, but this team seems to have a knack for these dramatic, late-inning, come-from-behind wins.”

It’s not a bias it’s the damn truth. BTW looked for the stats. on “dramatic, late-inning, come-from-behind wins” on FangGragh, but I couldn’t find it.

Boar’s Head Natural All Beef Hot Dogs Presents Mustang’s Has Been and Wannabee of the Game Awards:

Wannabe of the game: Vidal “I don’t want go back to AAA” Nuno

Honorable mention to Brennan “this is for Tilapia & Vicki xoxo” Boesch

Has Been of the game: Lyle “find me an outfielders glove” Overbay

Honorable mention to Ichiro “Mike can kiss my shiri” Suzuki

• mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

To; trr

Here endeth the lesson

Much love

The New York Yankees.

• forensic says:

Honorable mention to Ichiro “Mike can kiss my shiri” Suzuki

Easily the best one so far.

• Wolfgang's Fault says:

Leave him at 1B, he’s better defensively there then Tex, & quite honestly, Overbay is a pivotal member of this unlikely but quite extraordinary edition of the NY Yankees. I love watching his a/b’s when the game is on the line as he always seems to get real good hacks and a/b’s, & quite frequently, the kind of results we just saw in this ballgame. Man, he crushed that pitch! I love the chemistry on this club & how tough they are to put away in any game they’re in. I’m not willing to mess w/that, so, nope, it’s Tex who should have to make room for Overbay & not the other way around. I know Tex’s career #’s are better than Overbay’s, but he’s on the downside and he’s got a bum wrist. His past history will not insure his #’s remain better, & sometimes #’s aren’t the entire tale. I’m so impressed w/Overbay, just put him in the lineup everyday & leave him & the core of this club alone.

• I'm not the droids you're looking for... says:

I thank you!

6. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Wow. Just looked up Lueke for the first time. What a horrible human being. I hope his career is a miserable failure.

7. Dave Miller says:

Can anyone explain to me how this collection of AAA/Shady Rest players is winning like this?

I keep expecting it to end and these guys just keep winning.

• Bob Buttons says:

YCPB.

• vicki says:

pitching and pixie dust.

• trr says:

just enjoy

• Wolfgang's Fault says:

How about some very hungry and healthy older players from elsewhere w/something to prove, & some very good pitching & defense so far? Wells, Overbay, Pronk’s bat, the bullpen, solid defense, just enough from everyone else. They could use Youk to get off the d/l and maybe some tweaks here and there, but please don’t mess w/the core as it presently stands right now. This is a very disciplined and mentally tough team at the moment. I hope they let them play it out w/the present contributors aboard (Overbay – not Tex, Overbay – not Tex, Overbay – not Tex . . .), and let’s see what happens.

• CountryClub says:

Very simple….pitching.

8. W.B. Mason Williams says:

Had completely forgot about the Josh Lueke rapist thing. Holy sh*t. Glad it was him we beat. You’re never supposed to wish someone ill, but I wish the homer could have ricocheted off his head and into the stands for the HR all the same. But hey! At least he didn’t do steroids, right? Disgusting.

• Bob Buttons says:

But hey! At least he didn’t do steroids, right?

Let’s just pretend he took some when he was a kid so there’s more reason to dislike him.

• WhittakerWalt says:

He and Brett Myers are definitely on the “not enough bad things can happen to them” list.
      Julio Lugo, too, but I think he’s retired.

9. Get Phelps Up says:

Also Fernando Rodney is garbage and I love it.

• your mom says:

Yep, can’t stand that arrow shit.

• I'mVernonI'mVernon4U says:

Honestly, I wouldn’t have gone crazy if we wound up losing the game after we handed Fernando another blown save. I was pretty much content with that.

The way that these closers are imploding… Rodney, Jim Johnson, I even think Kimbrel hasn’t been as dominant… just shows how much we need to appreciate Mo.

• vicki says:

it’s tough all over. the brewers have suffered six! blown saves between axford and michael gonzalez, and now henderson’s out with a hammy. dodgers’ pen has sucked; cards too. even mfiky has blown three.

we are privileged. knock wood and enjoy it while it lasts.

• I'mVernonI'mVernon4U says:

Wow so its even crazier than I thought. Every time he’s on the mound, I think about how cool it is to be experiencing it, knowing that one day his number will be up in Monument Park and his face will adorn the Great Hall in YS. Privileged for sure.

10. I'mVernonI'mVernon4U says:

Okay, they DID only score one run off Moore, but I still think the offense deserves credit for really working him. He got to 100 pitches pretty darn fast IIRC.

11. Bo Knows says:

I think Nova should be in AAA but I’m glade he went back to his old delivery, his command looked a lot better and for the most part he kept the ball down.

12. Wayne says:

Vidal deserves a rotation spot. But i don’t know if yankees will let him start after thursday unfortunately. Come on joe give him a shot in the rotation he deserves it! I mis see what the yes analyst said about nuno in the post game anybody know. I heard something about joe keep throwing sombody back out there especially with the way he has been pitching not sure if they were talking about nuno getting a possible rotation spot. The guy sitting next to bon lorenz said it. Can anybody confirm what he said and about who? Does anyone think this guy has a shot in the rotation besides me and he is doing this with alot of space in between starts. If he pitched moré consistently he would pitch deeper into the game i Have to assume! Rotation should be sabathia pettite kuroda,phelps and nuno. Any chance we go to six man rotation? If phelps feels funny on wednesday after line drive maybe things work itself out but sure hope phelps is okay.

• CountryClub says:

It’ll be interesting to see how he does when he has to face teams a second time. But so far, so good. Looks like a legit back end of the rotation option.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Then, unless injury or massive in effectiveness occurs, he’s put himself in great position for 2014 and can ride the shuttle this year as needed.

13. trr says:

Need to see more of El Nuno; sometimes guys do come out of (practically) nowhere to be impact players

• Rolling Doughnut says:

Nuno may not have the stuff to hang around more than twice through the lineup. Especially if/when the League sees him a few times. Still give him kudos for his outing though.

14. smurfy says:

Ichi saved the bacon on the off-field liner of Robertson. Fine play in right!