Fan Confidence Poll: June 17th, 2013By
Record Last Week: 1-5 (18 RS, 30 RA)
Season Record: 38-31 (270 RS, 266 RA, 35-34 pythag. record), 3.0 games back in AL East
Opponents This Week: Mon. OFF, vs. Dodgers (two games, Tues. and Weds.), vs. Rays (four games, Thurs. to Sun..)
Top stories from last week:
- The Yankees were off on Monday before opening a three-game series against the Athletics. Oakland bested CC Sabathia in the series opener before pounding Phil Hughes in the second game. The series ended with an embarrassing 18-inning loss to wrap up the sweep.
- Three games in Anaheim followed the sweep in Oakland, and the Yankees dropped the opener for their fourth straight loss on Friday. A fifth straight loss following the next day, but New York got off the skid and held on for a much-needed win yesterday.
- Injury Updates: Mark Teixeira (wrist) received a cortisone shot and is day-to-day with inflammation. Derek Jeter (ankle) has been cleared to resume baseball activities. Alex Rodriguez (hip) has resumed running the bases. Kevin Youkilis (back) has been placed on the 15-day DL. Frankie Cervelli (hand) has started playing catch. Michael Pineda (shoulder) threw 74 pitches in his latest rehab start. First rounder Eric Jagielo (hamstring) will miss a few weeks.
- The Yankees shook up the roster a bit on Friday, calling up outfielder Thomas Neal and right-hander Chris Bootcheck. Adam Warren was sent down following the marathon loss. Eduardo Nunez was placed on the 60-day DL and Cesar Cabral was outrighted to Double-A, meaning he cleared waivers and is officially Yankees property. The Rule 5 Draft rules no longer apply.
- Among the top ten round picks to sign this week were Jagielo ($1.84M), third rounder Mike O’Neill ($501k), fourth rounder Tyler Wade ($371k), fifth rounder David Palladino ($371k), sixth rounder John Murphy ($20k), and eighth rounder Brandon Thomas ($75k).
- The Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks showed informal interest in acquiring A-Rod over the winter. The Yankees made two offers to free agent catcher David Ross over the winter, but they did not pursue Yasiel Puig. They also “already have interest” in Marlins right-hander Ricky Nolasco.
- For the second straight year, Robinson Cano will serve as the captain of the AL squad for the Homerun Derby.
- Orlando Hernandez will make his Old Timers’ Day debut this coming weekend.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.