Record Last Week: 3-3 (23 RS, 28 RA)
Season Record: 41-34 (293 RS, 294 RA, 37-38 pythag. record), 2.5 games back in AL East
Opponents This Week: Mon. OFF, vs. Rangers (three games, Tues. to Thurs.), @ Orioles (three games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The Yankees returned home from the West Coast and enjoyed two straight off-days at the beginning of the week — one scheduled and one rainout. They took the opener of Wednesday’s doubleheader against the Dodgers before being shutout in the nightcap.
- The Rays came to town for four games after that, and Tampa took the series opener by roughing up Andy Pettitte. Zoilo Almonte led the Yankees to a win on Friday night, then Vernon Wells did the same on Saturday. The bullpen gave it up in yesterday’s loss.
- Injury Updates: Mark Teixeira (wrist) was placed on the DL with inflammation. Kevin Youkilis (back) will be out 10-12 weeks following surgery. Alex Rodriguez (hip) has started facing live pitchers. Curtis Granderson (hand) had the pin removed as scheduled. Michael Pineda (shoulder) will make his next rehab start at Double-A Trenton on Tuesday. Frankie Cervelli (hand) has started taking dry swings.
- The Yankees and Robinson Cano remain far apart in contract talks and the second baseman is likely to become a free agent after the season. The team is unlikely to have interest in Manny Ramirez or Ramon Hernandez, but are “open for business” as far as trades are concerned.
- Almonte and Adam Warren were both recalled from Triple-A while Chris Bootcheck and Reid Brignac were both designated for assignment. Alberto Gonzalez was recalled and Thomas Neal was sent down as the furniture shuffling continued.
- Among the players the Yankees acquired to bolster their Triple-A squad last week were Corey Patterson, Brent Lillibridge, Mike Zagurski, Yoshinori Tateyama, and Fernando Martinez. Chris Bootcheck cleared waivers and signed a new minor league deal with the team.
- The Yankees signed supplemental first rounder LHP Ian Clarkin ($1.65M), second rounder 2B Gosuke Katoh ($846k), and ninth rounder LHP Conner Kendrick ($115k). Supplemental first rounder OF Aaron Judge has been offered slot money but has yet to sign.
- MLB investigators are convinced some suspensions will be handed out as a result of their investigation into the alleged South Florida performance-enhancing drug hub Biogenesis.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.