Record Last Week: 1-6 (12 RS, 31 RA)
Season Record: 31-25 (223 RS, 218 RA, 29-27 pythag. record), 3.0 games back in AL East
Opponents This Week: vs. Indians (three games, Mon. to Weds.), @ Mariners (four games, Thurs. to Sun..)
Top stories from last week:
- The week opened with four games against the Mets, the first two at CitiField and the next two at Yankee Stadium. David Robertson blew a late least in the series opening loss, then Mariano Rivera did the same on Tuesday’s walk-off loss. The Yankees got blown out on Wednesday before the Amazin’s finished off the sweep on Thursday.
- The Red Sox came to town for a three-game weekend series, and CC Sabathia returned to form in the series opening win. Phil Hughes got pounded in the second game before Boston walked away with a rain-shorted win yesterday.
- Injury News: Michael Pineda (shoulder) had to be shut down for a few days with a cracked fingernail. Mark Teixeira (wrist), Kevin Youkilis (back), and Joba Chamberlain (oblique) were all activated off the DL, and Andy Pettitte (trap) is expected to come off the DL and start today.
- Chien-Ming Wang did not opt-out of his contract at Friday’s deadline because no other team made him a big league contract offer. The Yankees will continue to mine the scrap heap for a shortstop as Derek Jeter recovers from his ankle fracture. They also inquired about Mike Zagurski.
- Vidal Nuno and Ivan Nova were sent to Triple-A to clear roster spots while David Huff was designated for assignment. Francisco Rondon and Huff were both outrighted to Triple-A.
- Gary Sanchez ranked 16th on Keith Law’s midseason top 25 prospects list. There will not be an international draft in 2014, and in fact the owners and players’ union will hold off talks until the current Collective Bargaining Agreement expires in 2016.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.