Jun

Game 56: Multiple Runs?

Need bats, not gloves. (Al Bello/Getty)

Need bats, not gloves. (Al Bello/Getty)

The Yankees have lost six of their last seven games, which is very bad. Just as bad is the utter lack of offense. They’ve scored exactly one run in four of their last six games, and in the other two games they scored four runs. In fact, the Yankees haven’t scored more than four runs in eight games now, and they’ve only done it once in their last eleven games. It doesn’t matter how good your pitching staff is, you can’t win like that. Not in a small ballpark in the AL East. The offense needs to get its act together and quick. Here’s the lineup that will face right-hander Clay Buchholz…

1. CF Brett Gardner
  2. 2B Robinson Cano
  3. 1B Mark Teixeira
  4. DH Travis Hafner
  5. LF Vernon Wells
  6. 3B Kevin Youkilis
  7. RF Ichiro Suzuki
  8. SS Jayson Nix
  9. C Chris Stewart C Austin Romine

And on the mound is the former Senshu University reliever in the Tohto University Baseball League, right-hander Hiroki Kuroda.

It was crazy hot in New York today, but there’s actually some showers in the forecast tonight. The heaviest stuff is supposed to start sometime around 10-11pm ET and continue into the earlier morning, so who knows how that will impact the game. First pitch is scheduled for a little after 8pm ET and can be seen on ESPN. Try to enjoy.

Update (7:45pm): The game will officially start in a delay, and no tentative start time has been announced. Also, Stewart was a late scratch with similar dehydration symptoms as last night. He’s being checked out by the doctor.

Update (8:18pm): First pitch is tentatively scheduled for 8:50pm ET.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Kevin says:

Indeed..and if we lose tonight..Baltimore will take over second. Not that they don’t have flaws of their own.
    The Garcia magic will wear out on them soon and no matter how good their offense is..their starters ERA is going to bite them in the butt just like our lack of offense is.

2. trr says:

I’m more concerned with our winning this game tonight. Winning 2/3 would be a good comeback after the Mets’ debacle…

• Troll says:

I would just like to remind everybody that the Yankees scored 7 Runs in 4 Games against the New York Mets. In 3 Games against the New York Mets the Miami Marlins scored 24 Runs.

That is some transitive ish right there, bitches.

Marlins are better than the Yankees. Hi-ya!

Blah, blah, blah. Priceless.

3. TomH says:

We heard again and again last season that the O’s just couldn’t keep it going (devastating statistics brought to bear). They wound up in the playoffs. Then we heard during the off-season that they’d never do it again (more statistical complacency).

At the 1/3 mark, they’re about .003 behind the Yankees. It’s time to take them seriously.

• The Doctor says:

They’re a different team this year. Davis has taken a huge step forward and Machado is coming into his own. Last year’s Orioles were still a freakish collection of good fortune. This year, they’ve at least got the players to show it’s legitimate.

4. forensic says:

Mets get swept by the Marlins now. That just makes the last week even more frustrating.

5. forensic says:

Just as I was getting happy again to see Cano in the #3 spot in the lineup, he goes back to #2. Yuck.

6. Winter says:

I don’t live in New York, what’s the forecast looking like?

7. Pat D says:

Hopefully the Prussian Army will rise up for this one.

Or the Red Wedding.

Either one.

8. Wheels says:

In a delay huh? That’s too bad.

9. jjyank says:

Ha! Who just saw that Cano commercial/preview thing? I got a kick out of that.

10. mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

I don’t know about you guys but do you think that the Yankees can’t win the way they offense is going especially in a small ballpark in the AL East?

No one has really touched on this point.

• forensic says:

The way the offense is going now? No, I don’t think they can win the division. Of course, the hope is that the offense won’t continue like this. Cano should pick it up and hopefully with time Youk and Tex will settle in more. Hafner will also likely pick it up a little bit. Wells, I’m not so sure of. Also depends on if Nunez comes back and figures out how to hit or if Jeter/A-Rod/Granderson come back and can still produce some.

• forensic says:

Forgot Cervelli too, which could nicely push Stewart to the bench more often. He won’t continue with a near-.900 OPS, but he can certainly produce more than the current tandem.

• mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

I was being sarcastic because we been hitting the offense drum since the 1-4 start with “you can’t win like that. Not in a small ballpark in the AL East” being the almost daily headline.
        I get it already but given the choice between needing offense and needing pitching (especially starting pitching) I will take the former over latter everyday.

• jjyank says:

That’s a fair assessment. Although I do think that could be enough to win the division, based on what we’ve seen so far. It’s all close enough to go either way at this point, though. I’ve never been a Nunez fan, but he is better than what he’s shown this year.

• forensic says:

Of course, if some of those things improve, they can certainly win the division. But, what we’ve seen so far shows that they can’t win like this. In April, the offense hung in the top half of the AL and they were able to do pretty well and win, since several guys were playing well over their heads. Once that stopped in May and the offense was arguably the worst in the league, the winning slowed down quite a bit, despite an improvement in the pitching, which was arguably the best in the league.

Even with that terrific pitching, they’ve only been one game over .500 since the start of May. The pitching probably won’t take a huge step back, but it’s going to be tough for them to hang at the top of the league considering the division and ballpark, so that’s another little bit the offense will need to make up too.

• jjyank says:

I agree with your general premise. I just think that the offense will be better going forward. What he got in April was a gift that nobody could have predicted (offense wise). The Yanks are in a better position than most of us could have hoped for, even including the May slump. A few reinforcements, maybe a hot streak from Ichiro, a bounce back of sorts from Wells, and the team can go on a tear again.

My point being that the offense won’t be as bad as it was in May, probably not as good as it was in April, but still good enough to take the division if the pitching holds up.

• mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Totally agree with your assessment.

11. Get Phelps Up says:

Off topic, but does anyone know why the Jays and Padres are playing a night game?

12. Bartolo's Colon says:

Is it even raining now at the stadium, or are they just waiting for something to pass? i’m only a few miles away and it’s fine here

• forensic says:

They showed Olney on the field and it wasn’t raining. They seem to believe there’s a ‘rogue cell’ that will pass through.

I despise ‘rain’ delays with no rain.

13. Wheels says:

Some shit about rouge thunderstorm cells.

14. Wheels says:

*rogue, not rouge

15. trr says:

Tarp off!

16. Winter says:

I like how Teixeira’s two games are a “slow start.”

17. forensic says:

Hooray for ‘rain’ delays where it never rains.

Absolutely absurd.

18. Alkaline says:

So what’s it looking like?

19. Tim B says:

Dehydration again? There must be something not right with his body that is causing that. I guess drinking a gallon of fluids didn’t help.

20. forensic says:

No Buster, Nix isn’t the 3rd catcher, Youkilis is. Just ask your coworker Chris Singleton…

21. Get Phelps Up says:

Is this the first ESPN game of the year? It seems like we usually have at least 3 of them by this point.

22. MB923 says:

I said after that loss against the Mets on Thursday that things will be back to normal at the end of the weekend and a win tonight guarantees that. Mets get swept, Yankees take 2 of 3 from Boston

23. Get Phelps Up says:

I wish the Yankees signed Napoli just so he wouldn’t be exposing the world to that awful beard.

24. jjyank says:

Ugh. I have to be at work a 7 tomorrow morning, so an 8 PM start was a stretch as it was. Now, I probably won’t even bother watching the game, seeing as I need to be asleep in about an hour. Stupid rain. Go Yanks, and enjoy the game, everyone. I hope it’s a good one.

…and I hope Kuroda at least throws up a QS so I can burry Plouffy in our fantasy matchup just a bit more :D

25. Bo Knows says:

I wonder if its a contractual obligation for Boston players to look like dingy, hairy, greasy hobos?

26. Hans Moleman says:

Nice perm, Salty.

27. forensic says:

Great analysis, as usual, from Kruk: “You don’t want to throw something right down the middle of the plate.”

Wow, really???

• Troll says:

I almost never watch ESPN anymore, but from what I recall a question doth arise . . . What the hell does Kruk have against the Yankees that makes him such a spiteful prick?

28. forensic says:

Geez Tex.

29. nyyankfan_7 says:

Why can none of our “professional” hitters hit a ball to the opposite side of the field and beat a shift? So damn frustrating to watch.

30. Troll says:

I’ve said it a million times, but, honestly, I can’t say it enough. Teixera is one of the biggest letdowns during my Yankee fandom tenure. I can’t stand him. He’s . . . . bad. He’s a pathetic disappointment with zero self-awareness. Watching him is painful for me, especially considering how excited I was when he initially became a Yankee.

• Winter says:

Teixeira has yet to have a below-average year as a Yankee. Obviously he hasn’t lived up to expectations–he’s no longer a .300 hitter. But he’s still god for 30+ HR in a healthy year.

• Chris says:

I was more excited about signing him that year than anyone else. And like clockwork, he starts a step and steady decline becoming a completely different type of player. Has to be maddening if you are cashman

• Troll says:

If only there were refunds in the MLB . . . Actually, isn’t that more or less what Boston did? At least AGon was still producing at an elite-ish level, though.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

He has a career 142 wRC+. He has faltered in the postseason overall, but did step up in 2008, 10 and 12. Hardly pathetic.

• Troll says:

He was with the Angels in 2008 and was only decent during the ’10 and ’12 ALDS . . . Understandably the pitching gets better as the tournament progresses, but, I mean, I’d hardly say that he stepped up.

He’s the king of pop-ups, strike-outs, and obstinacy. And, on top of all that, the mother chugger won’t don a mustache like the glorious follicular masterpiece that the Great Giambino wore.

• Winter says:

King of pop-ups and strike-outs? Teixeira’s career K% is 17.2%. League average is 18.5%. Teixeira’s career IFFB% is 10.6%. League average is 10%.

• Troll says:

I’m stickin’ to my guns on this one considering those are his career numbers. Either way, whatever the case, my eyes only remember the sh*t when it comes to the MT25.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

16.5 K% and 11.1 IFFB% as a Yankee, fwiw.

75 K% this season. ;-)

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Shocking that he’s not locked in after those 2 rehab games.

• forensic says:

On a serious note, that’s actually why I thought they might’ve needed to leave him down there longer, but there is certainly something to be said for at least having the switch-hitter threat in the lineup.

31. mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

22 pitches for Buchholz not bad without scoring move on.

32. Mykey says:

Slumping Yankees plus John Kruk. It’s like the liquor store planned this one.

33. forensic says:

Did Kruk really just advocate intentionally walking Jayson Nix???

34. Mick taylor says:

While arod, Burnett and others have earned the wrath of Yankee fans for failing to live up to their contracts, texiera has gotten a free pass for his mediocre play and unclutch playespecially his horrible post season play. He has not earned his 23 million per year

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Constant complaints = free pass?

• Mykey says:

I would hardly say Teixeira’s gotten a free pass.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

Mediocre no. .279/.369/.527/.896/131 wrc+ 142. He has been a disappointment overall in the postseason

• forensic says:

Why are you posting numbers that include all his seasons prior to joining the Yankees?

• Rolling Doughnut says:

Thought you were analyzing him as a player in general sorry:

.262/.357/.505/.861/126 with the Yanks

Not mediocre.

• forensic says:

I wasn’t analyzing him at all, that was the other guys. It’s just misleading to try to defend him by using the years prior to his Yankee time which has included a pretty large drop-off since his first year.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

I’m not defending him. He has dropped off since his first year. I have shit on him here many times. I do not think he’s worth his contract. But I don’t think he’s mediocre either.

• forensic says:

People are constantly on him. Hell, people wanted Lyle freakin’ Overbay to continue to play over him.

How is that a free pass?

• Troll says:

He’s received no free-pass from me. Although I’m sure nobody agrees with, I think he’s been an awful investment. He’s a GD lemon! I want my money back!

• DC says:

So you’re just going to write the same comment every thread?

35. Troll says:

Oh boy. Here comes Enrique . . . He’ll have 4 hits tonight. It’s inevitable.

36. Wheels says:

Damn Vernon.

37. Troll says:

I know most RABers don’t put much stock in Batting Average for some reason, but look at our starting line-up . . . Isn’t it gorgeous! Everyone’s hovering around .250. ‘Tis a beaut!

• Winter says:

It’s not that some of us don’t put stock in batting average, it’s that we realize that isn’t the best indicator of overall offensive performance. It’s still a good way of looking at whether a player is getting hits or not. And the league average BA is .253

Still, it confirms what we already know. The Yankees offense this year has hovered somewhere a little below league average.

38. forensic says:

And that groundout drops Wells’ OBP under .300. It’s been quite a drop for him.

Other than a little more power, his numbers are concerningly close to his numbers with Toronto in 2007 and 2009, and still dropping.

39. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Yankees best hitting starting OF has a 98 wRC+.

Yikes.

40. mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

I don’t know what depress me more the Yankees offense that inning or the commentary from the announcer.

41. Troll says:

Well, at least we can scrap the prospect of a no-hitter/perfect game. Next up? Avoiding the CGSO by Booooch.

42. mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Can we stop talking about any part of the male genitalia.

43. forensic says:

Kuroda making the Red Sox offense look like the Yankee offense. ;-)

44. forensic says:

Romine!

Solid line drive!

/boxscore’d

45. Wheels says:

We have a pulse here.

46. Get Phelps Up says:

Romine gets his first hit in forever and he’s greeted at 1st by Napoli’s awful beard.

47. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

We should start a pool on when Austin Romine will draw his first walk.
    David Adams as well if he’s still around tomorrow.

48. Troll says:

There goes your Romine single for the month . . . Quota filled.

49. forensic says:

Whew…

50. Mykey says:

If that were a double play, I would probably have cried.

51. mike_h says:

ugh wasted AB, atleast we got pitch count up

52. forensic says:

Ugh…

53. Wheels says:

Son of a bitch.

54. Mykey says:

Ugh, outcome aside, feel free to shift Cano all you want.

55. mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Question:

With the game on the line and men in scoring pos. Pedroia or Cano?

• mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Be honest all loves aside.

• forensic says:

Right or left handed pitcher?

Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park?

Though I’m sure you’re just being sarcastic again.

• mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

I’m not being sarcastic.

Don’t think the Right or left-handed pitcher matter but your choice.

Either park

It hurt me to say this but I think Im picking Pedroia.

• forensic says:

Against a lefty, in either park, I’m taking Pedroia.

Against a righty, it’s tougher and the park might matter more. Almost depends on which Cano is playing at that point.

• mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

“Almost depends on which Cano is playing at that point.”

Isn’t that always the question.

I never seen a player look so great when going right and so bad when going wrong.

56. nycsportzfan says:

I forgot who it was , but i discussed this teams offense reminding me of the 1991 yanks about 3.5 wks ago, and the person brought up overall numbers for the yr(which i obviously knew all ready but was forseeeing more then anything), and said check back in a few wks.. Welp, its been a few wks now. Still reminds me of 1991 offense.

57. nycsportzfan says:

Do you give any guy in baseball 200million that gets shifted on? To me, hell no!

58. Kramerica Industries says:

Sometimes, I think managers get way too fancy with their various defensive concepts.

That’s what happens.

59. forensic says:

Not really sure why they don’t shift Nix if they’re going to shift Cano.

60. nycsportzfan says:

Why in the fucking world would u leave that kinda hole on the right side? Thats the dumbest thing i’ve ever seen.

• The Doctor says:

Do you actually watch baseball or is it a ruse? That’s a cry basic defensive alignment with the 1st baseman holding the runner on and the 2B cheating a little against a pull happy lefty.

There’s nothing wrong with not having a comprehensive knowledge of the game, but you can’t complain about things you don’t understand.

• The Doctor says:

Very*

• nycsportzfan says:

No, actually you bring nix over on the first base side of 2nd, and put Cano in that short right field positon. You don’t leave a even bigger hole on the right side with a right handedhiter up.. Its not like he just hits balls down the line, he hits em all over the right side. What are u talking about?

• nycsportzfan says:

I meant left handed hitter up. Also you’d put Youk at almost Short stop and he’d be only one on left side.

• The Doctor says:

That’s if you want to shift for a pure pull hitter, like a left handed Tex. Ortiz is not quite that. Cano shaded over a tiny bit so Tex could hold on the runner. It is absolutely basic baseball that there will be a big gap on the right side of the infield with a runner on first.

61. Karl Krawfid says:

1-0…feels like the game is over already.

62. Rolling Doughnut says:

Feels like 5 zip why is that

63. MannyGeee says:

So…. I had a realization. With Stewart out, if Nix gets in a position where he should be pinch hit for… They can’t. He’s your back up catcher. And then I realized… Wow, do I miss Chris Stewart. Makes me feel dirty.

• forensic says:

According to Kruk you won’t need to PH for Nix because they’re going to IBB him…

• MannyGeee says:

Ha! That was the keynote question in the John Farrell ESPN interview, and he said they wouldn’t be able to PH where they would otherwise.

Obviously Farrell hasn’t been informed that Nix is a “Basebawl Playah”!

64. Wheels says:

Strike

65. Darl says:

1-0 ad feels like a mountain to climb. Have we got a runner to third this game yet?

66. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

strike 4

67. Pat D says:

So how ’bout that wedding?

68. forensic says:

Somebody buy Tex a calendar. Quick!

69. MannyGeee says:

Fucking hell, Bucholtz keeps getting uglier!

70. Kramerica Industries says:

3-35 at the plate?

I guess someone needed to assume the Ben Francisco mantle.

71. Yeayo says:

Tex looks overwhelmed. I honestly rather have overbay in there for his occasional clutch hit.

72. mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

well that was fun

73. Kramerica Industries says:

I am just so not used to seeing a Yankee offense that is so fucking awful that scoring runs, at all, feels like Mission Impossible.

1-0 deficits should never feel so insurmountable.

74. I'mVernonI'mVernon4U says:

Don’t have a good feeling about tonight..

75. forensic says:

Quite an inning for the 3-4-5 batters…

76. Rolling Doughnut says:

10 pitch inning. The meek of the lineup.

77. Pat D says:

So, forensic, I found that you were right. Last time Prussia was mentioned at the beginning of the game and they won was last Saturday.

I’m going to put the blame on Havok because he started the fucking meme and he’s been MIA for a while now.

• forensic says:

Yup, and it’s even bigger than that. They’ve actually right around .500 since that thing started, which was also right around when the offense really started disappearing.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Well, in fairness, it started after that mini-Cleveland series, where they put up two of their three double digit performances of the season. We all knew that was total overperformance at the time.

• forensic says:

The first Cleveland mini-series, back in mid-April? Nah, I don’t think it goes that far back. I believe it was somewhere in early-May, the Oakland series always comes to mind for some reason.

• Kramerica Industries says:

That Oakland series was a 2/3 dropped. They were shutout in the opener. There’s no way it would’ve stuck if its origins were from there.

It definitely had to come some time around that April hot streak.

78. Kramerica Industries says:

Fucking Iglesias.

I’m so tired of this bullshit.

79. MannyGeee says:

Fuck Jose Iglecias

80. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

HR Iglesias? Really?

81. forensic says:

A homerun to Iglesias??? Is this for real???

82. nycsportzfan says:

wow, we just gave up a HR to Jose Iglesias???lol Oh my god!

83. Rolling Doughnut says:

Iglesias. wow

84. Pat D says:

Well at least that wasn’t Iglesias’ first career homer.

(I mention this since Major League II is on MLBN and there’s a mention of a guy hitting his first career homer off Vaughn.)

85. Cy Pettitte says:

HR to Iglesias? Give me a fucking break. This team is now unwatchable, they give up 2 runs and you know it’s over.

86. Wheels says:

Stupid ESPN.

87. JobaWockeeZ says:

That’s fucking embarrassing, sorry.

88. MannyGeee says:

Kuroda hung that thing on a clothesline for Iglecias.

89. Chip says:

Am I the only one who feels like a 2 run lead is insurmountable at this point?

90. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I know this isn’t REALLY true, but honestly I feel as if this 1-0 lead practically guarantees a Red Sox victory right now.

91. Kramerica Industries says:

There will really be hell to pay if the Yankees, once again, win the series opener and then lose the next two games at home to the Red Sox.

I’ve seen this script way too many fucking times to count.

92. ClayDavis says:

It’s a little annoying how comfortable Red Sox fans are at the new Stadium.

93. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I had originally predicted 6-2 Red Sox before the game started.

It seems as if I’ve underrated Kuroda and overrated our offense.

94. ClayDavis says:

The Yankees should throw at someone. Boston used to drill our guys every time they were down in a game like his. Yankee pussification

• forensic says:

Yeah, because that’s what they need. More free baserunners.

• ClayDavis says:

At this point does it even matter

• The Doctor says:

They’re down by 2. All it takes is a bloop and a blast, which can happen, even with this offense.

Throwing at batters is not a part of the game. Working inside to back them off is about as far as it should go.

95. Troll says:

Can we please just all agree now that this is the worst offense in all of baseball?

• Wheels says:

This is bad.

• Leg-End says:

Can it even be called an offense at this point?

• forensic says:

They’re among the worst, but there are still several teams in that discussion with them.

• The Doctor says:

They’re 11th in the AL. You can’t just ignore their good times and say this is what they are. Is the Yankees’ offense at its worst worse than any team’s average? Quite possibly, but that’s not how comparisons work.

• Troll says:

Consider what has happened since the beginning of the season . . . Those “good times” you speak of are but a feeble memory to the catatonia that exists in the present. Between DL trips and veterans playing over their head, the team, as it stands now, has to sport the worst lineup in all of baseball. Honestly, there’s not even a lone bright spot with Cano shitting the bed every night.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

I like how you use AL only to make the ranking look better. wRC+ has them as the 25th worst offense in baseball. And yes that includes their good times.

96. mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

I know I’m going to get destroy for this and maybe it’s me but I seem to remember a few times when the Yankees offense went this cold last year most memorable in the playoffs. Maybe it just feels worse because of the names on the roster.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Yep. Their offensive playoff performance last year was just unbelievably bad.

• I'mVernonI'mVernon4U says:

I was just thinking how reminiscent this all is of the playoffs last year. So very frustrating…

97. Kramerica Industries says:

Groundballs and K’s.

This is pathetic.

98. Cy Pettitte says:

two true outcomes offense: roll over weak grond ball or strikeout

99. Troll says:

Can you technically forfeit a season? In all seriousness . . . . Is that possible?

100. Mick taylor says:

I’m sick of Kevin long . Bring in Lou pinella.

• The Doctor says:

Yeah because he’s the one out there hitting and he isn’t pretty much universally lauded by his peers and players.

Just stop.

• Will says:

Couldn’t agree with you more on the K-long part. I’m not sure Lou would be a good replacement. I’m so tired of every player trying to pull the ball the whole time. He’s gotten the team stuck in a bad hitting culture.

101. Will says:

I feel bad for the fans who save up their hard earned money for expensive Yankees tickets and are
    subjected to watch this pathetic team.

• mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Yes because buying Yankees tickets is a Necessity of Life.

On this note I leave the game thread before it gets worse.

• forensic says:

It’s their choice if they want to spend and go. I’ll still be spending in a little less than two months to go to a couple of games, just because it’s nice to get to go to a game. Sure, it’s more fun if they’re playing better, but you can’t necessarily tell the future and see when that will be.

102. Cy Pettitte says:

Jason Nix looks at another fastball down the middle for strike 3

103. Wheels says:

Moribund.

104. forensic says:

There have been two balls hit out of the infield tonight. Hafner’s foul out to leftfield in the 1st and Romine’s 15-hopper through the 3.5 hole to rightfield in the 3rd.

That’s it. Yuck.

• Cy Pettitte says:

as YES Network tries to figure out why ratings are down so much this year. These games are fucking boring.

105. Kramerica Industries says:

Oh great, it’s an official game now, too.

106. JobaWockeeZ says:

I thought Hughes pitched yesterday.

107. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

All right, I think we can safely say that there’s no point in putting on that channel anymore.

108. Kramerica Industries says:

And, for the love of G-d, this team is a fucking joke on their home field whenever the Red Sox come to town. It literally makes me sick to my stomach watching the Red Sox beat them time after fucking time.

109. Eddard says:

It might as well start raining so they can call this one and put the team out of its misery. Just an absolute disgrace from this offense. Romine was the offensive player of the game.

110. Cy Pettitte says:

I don’t know how a pitcher doesn’t throw at his head the next time he comes up after that. I know I would

111. MannyGeee says:

Yeah, ok…. I usually am ok with Ortiz, but that little bat flick just chapped my ass a bit. You’re being force fed to us as the “class act” of the league, fucking act like it.

• I'mVernonI'mVernon4U says:

Yeah and the booth downplays it with: “Its an entertainment industry”

• MannyGeee says:

No, exotic dancing and puppet shows are entertainment industries. So unless I am missing the boobs or marionettes, then I would say this is a sport. And the word “sportsmanship”, being sourced from the word “sport”….well, you know…,

• Pat D says:

He’s never been a class act. It’s a total fucking myth.

I don’t know why he’s been given a free pass on…basically everything.

• WhittakerWalt says:

I would absolutely fucking hate it if somebody on the Yankees Cadillac-ed it like that after a homer. The fact that I hate the Red Sox has nothing to do with it.

112. forensic says:

Well, can they score 4 runs in 4 innings to win in regulation? That almost seems impossible the way they’ve looked tonight (and the way they’ve looked the last month).

113. Will says:

It doesn’t matter how many runs Kuroda gives up if our offense doesn’t put up a fight.

114. BigBlueAL says:

The fears of being a 4th place team before the season will be unfortunately revitalized after tonight when they fall to a tie for 3rd. At least there is no way they finish last.

115. Wheels says:

Hopefully we will forget about this miserable stretch of play when the team is on fire in a month or two.

116. forensic says:

If they hadn’t been dumbasses and delayed the game 45 minutes for no rain in the first place, they’d be well into the 7th or 8th by now. Instead they’re only early in the 6th.

Way to go geniuses!

117. Eddard says:

Put the tarp on and leave it on. Call the game and put the offense out of its misery.

118. trr says:

Got an early day tomorrow , gotta turn in.
    Hope I’m missing a hell of a come back

119. KenClay says:

I really cannot understand all the buzz about Ortiz taking PEDs again. Clearly, the rain helped that ball. Just because the announcers compared it to Sosa and McGwire means nothing. It’s all in the wrists, which explains Tex’s futility.

120. MannyGeee says:

Bright side? Good chance both Kuroda (not feeling it?) and Bucholtz (definitely feeling it) won’t come back after the delay.

On another note Manny Acta just reached for a reason to let Ortiz get away with that cocksmanship after the homer. Fuck that dude too

• Pat D says:

He was also trying to defend Yadier Molina after he got tossed today. If you’ve seen the footage, you know there’s no defending it.

I’m not gonna say it, but it doesn’t smell right.

121. mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

They comeback and win it after the rain delay.

Calling it.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

This is probably, in the end, the best thing that could happen to them.

122. nycsportzfan says:

Another loss. 3games outta first now. Fucking wack!

• mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Yes, and half game of the wild card on June 2nd what will they do?

1- Go home and cry

2- Go home and play the rest of season on playstation.

3- Play the Indians tomorrow.

• Troll says:

Umm, who says they can’t do all three?

• FIPster Doofus says:

Speaking of the Indians, not surprisingly, this team misses Nick Swisher something fierce. Good thing they have Ichiro’s corpse instead. Thanks, Hal.

• forensic says:

He just would’ve hurt himself barrel-rolling in the outfield.

/thatoneguy

• mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

You mean he would help like in the playoffs last year yes I agree.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

You know, in order to play badly in the playoffs you need to make there.

Swishy was a very good player, and we could use him right now big time.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Exactly. Sucking in the playoffs > not making the playoffs. And playoff stats aren’t predictive, so Swisher could easily tear it up next time he makes it to the postseason (if he does).

• Kramerica Industries says:

The only positive is that Swisher is still one frustrating as shit player to watch. I don’t miss that.

And I’m not going to pretend I wanted Swish back. But I sure as shit didn’t want Ichiro on a fucking multi-year deal, either. Name Value strikes again.

• FIPster Doofus says:

I was annoyed with Swisher when he sucked in the playoffs yet again and then bitched about the fans treating him poorly for it, but I still wanted him back. He’s a consistently above-average producer year to year and his skill set is one that should age well. It pained me to see him leave, even though it was obviously going to happen from the minute the $189 million budget was publicized.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Swish isn’t the superstar some believe but at 4 WAR a year his contract was fair. I would’ve liked to see us trade Grandy while keeping Swish who is the more consistent player.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I heard the fans said some really nasty, uncalled for shit to Swisher. Like, insulting his wife and family. I don’t blame him at all for being pissed, New Yorkers can be shits.

• forensic says:

Does anyone really say ‘wack’ anymore?

The only thing I think of when I hear that is the ‘Not Another Teen Movie’ movie.

123. The Real Greg says:

So if they lose this game they will fall to 3 back in the division and into third place.

They get Masterson on Monday so that will probably be a loss.

Scott Kazmir and Corey Kluber will pitch the other 2 games, so we will see.

Hernandez will be seen in the last game of the 4 game set in Seattle.

• forensic says:

Why are you still paying attention? I thought the season was over already…

• The Real Greg says:

I got nothing better to do. And to be honest so far the Yankees have not disproven my sentiments.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Actually, they have, since they’ve continued playing, thus disproving the concept that the season was “over”. A comment, by the way, that made no sense no matter what happens on here on out.

• The Real Greg says:

True, in the physical sense, the season is not over. IN the “being a contender for a championship” sense the season was over.

As for making sense, JFK said that we would go to the moon by the end of the 60s. People thought he was nuts. And…

• The Real Greg says:

Unless they go on a 2009 second half run.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I’m not in the mood to decipher crazy Greg logic today. It will only get me more agitated. Sufice to say that your moon comparison is completely nonsensical. His was “nuts” because it was unlikely. Yours is “nuts” in the sense that saying 2+2=5 is nuts. No matter how you say it, you’re not making sense.

Anyway, no, it actually wasn’t, believe it or not. The team did not magically change when they lost that game. They actually got two better players. The team lost a game. That’s it. One game. No matter what it seems like to you in Greg world the game still counted for one, and after game one against the Sox, 1/3rd of the way through the season, they were tied in the loss column for first place and now have a better team than they did a week ago.

• mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

WHAT?????

How dare you go against the losing game thread theme of doooooom

124. The Real Greg says:

Oh and by the way, that’s why you walk Ortiz on Saturday.

125. The Real Greg says:

Mike Axisa ?@mikeaxisa 30m
    Daniel Nava: 30yo former indy baller, DFAd & cleared waivers 2yrs ago, better than anyone to come out of NYY’s farm system in last 5yrs

Note to Cashman and crew. DRAFT BETTER

126. ClayDavis says:

This delay might be a good time for the media to discuss Ortiz obviously being back on roids

127. Get Phelps Up says:

It sure seems like the Yanks could be worse off than (potentially) 3 games back with 106 to play.

• The Real Greg says:

True. The problem is where is the respite? They continue on this “offensive” stretch and they could fall 5 games back, 6 games etc.

This is why I said what I said. I knew Tex and Youk were coming back. But Tex is a slow starter anyway so it will take him a few weeks to get into gear. I have no idea what they get out of Youkilis.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Sure, they very well could. But they didn’t yet. There is also an excellent chance that they’ll play much, much better. After all, they’ve shown that they’re capable of that too.

• The Real Greg says:

So it’s a matter of “see to believe”. If they go out and dominate Cleveland and Seattle, go 5-2, then great.

But the team I see right now, with Tex and Youk back doesn’t seem like they are going to do that.

• Get Phelps Up says:

They can easily go 5-2 against those teams. Cleveland has been terrible of late and Seattle is…Seattle.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

No team in a slump seems like they’ll ever play well again. This team has shown that it’s more than capable, though.

• Wheels says:

Game back on if anyone cares.

• mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Why would say that they only lost their

Starting 3rd basement, ss, catcher, 1st, few pitchers off and on, back-up ss, and outfielder.

Did i miss anyone because I can’t seriously remember them all.

128. FIPster Doofus says:

Edinson Volquez hit a three-run homer off the Blue Jays. At least the Yankees aren’t them.

129. Get Phelps Up says:

I’m being reminded why I never watch Sports Center.

130. Pour some cougar on me says:

Do the Yankees have the worst offense in baseball? No. Is their offense bad? Yes. Is their offense awful? Yes. Is their offense one of the weakest in Yankees history? Yes. Is their offense the weakest since times when NYC had Detroit-style crime rates? Yes. Does their offense make me want to drown myself in a pool of seamen? Yes. Is their offense worse than having to pay child support for a baby that’s not even yours? No, but it’s close.

• True Pinstriped Blue says:

Best post of the fucking night. But are you sure it’s just not a slump. Bwhahahahaha

131. mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Because of RAB every time I hear Miguel Cabrera I think Jesus Montero.

Thank you.

132. Wheels says:

Monsoon season in the Bronx.

133. Get Phelps Up says:

I really hope this doesn’t get called because we have a much better shot now that Buccholz is gone.

134. Pistol Pete says:

The Yanks did it with mirrors for 2 mos but the party with these part time overachievers seems over. Hopefully Tex and Youkalis can get hot and stay healthy until Jeter Grandeeson Cervelli and Arod come back. Hope they’re still in striking distance. Really really concerned that Jeter and

135. forensic says:

Grounds crew really showing their brilliance tonight…

136. Pistol Pete says:

Meant to finish really concerned Jeter And ARod might not make it back.

137. Kramerica Industries says:

At least Joe Pawl’s twitter is still a great source of snark.

138. Chip says:

The thing is, outside of Granderson, do we really have any more shots in the arm coming up? I mean, if Tex continues to slide, Youk is the same as he was last season can you really expect a big second half from Jeter, Cervelli and A-Rod? Even with all hands back (and nobody else gets hurt), you might be running out black holes at first, third, DH and at least one outfield corner. I’m really don’t see a lot in this assortment. Also, next season we won’t have Granderson most likely so there could be a lot of this sort of game in our future.

139. Wheels says:

At what point do they call this?

140. Hans Moleman says:

Well that’s that. Hopefully we can score a run or two tomorrow.

141. Kevin says:

Game called..if we had jsut worked the count at least we could have simply hit the reset button.

142. Harko says:

I have had plans to go to NY from my home in Cali to attend 4-5 games in August.

Just left message – canceling plans, there is no way I’m wasting any money on this collection of garbage. Glancing at the lineup we’re throwing out there, there is only 1 major league caliber player and that’s Cano. The rest of the lineup belongs in AA or below or even better – retired.

Take a year off, trade any and everyone who another team will give us prospects for and build for 2014