Jun

Game 64: Bartday

(Getty)

(Getty)

On this date in 2011, Bartolo Colon was sitting on a 3.10 ERA and 3.37 FIP while averaging nearly seven innings per start for the Yankees. He had brought his career back from the dead and was looking like the number two starter the Yankees craved behind CC Sabathia. His starts were must-watch television thanks to the mid-90s fastballs on the corners and front door two-seamers for called strike three to lefties.

Also on this date in 2011, Colon hobbled off the field after straining his hamstring covering first base in the seventh inning of a rainy start against the Indians. He missed a month and was pretty much never the same for the Yankees after that, pitching to a 4.81 ERA and 4.14 FIP in his final 16 starts and 86 innings of the year. Instead of being number two behind Sabathia, he was left off the playoff roster entirely. Colon hooked on with the Athletics after that season and has been in Oakland every since, and tonight he’ll face his former team for the second time this year. Here’s the lineup Joe Girardi is running out there against Bart:

1. CF Brett Gardner
  2. 2B Robinson Cano
  3. 1B Mark Teixeira
  4. DH Travis Hafner
  5. 3B Kevin Youkilis
  6. RF Lyle Overbay
  7. LF Ichiro Suzuki
  8. SS Jayson Nix
  9. C Chris Stewart

And on the mound for the Yankees is the 20th overall pick in 1998 draft, left-hander CC Sabathia. I wonder how many teams passed on him that year because of his weight.

There’s a very tiny chance of rain tonight in Oakland, but nothing that should cause any kind of delay. The game is scheduled to start at 10:05pm ET and can be seen on YES. Enjoy.

Aaron Judge Update: Judge, the team’s second first round pick in last week’s draft, is with the Yankees in Oakland according to Ken Davidoff. He’s taking batting practice and working out with the team, stuff like that. Pretty common for high draft picks, and he’s only a few hours away in Fresno. Hopefully they show some clips during the game.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Pseudoyanks says:

I would guess 19 teams passed on him…

2. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

I was reminded the other day about the bet I had with Greg last year about Oliver Perez. Here are the results.

As per this comment — http://riveraveblues.com/2012/.....nt-4658431 — Greg bet that lefties would hit better off of Oliver Perez the rest of the year than righties would. This was based on 31 (!!) at bats to that point in the season, which somehow outweighed decades of baseball history and 9 years of Perez’s career where righties hit better.

At the time, lefties were hitting 13 for 31 off of Perez (.419), while righties were hitting 2 for 18 (.111).

THE RESULTS:
    For the rest of the year, lefties hit 3 for 26 (.115) off him, while righties hit 9 for 36 (.250).

Greg, I hope you see this as an example of why you shouldn’t use a measly 31 at bats to predict pretty much anything, let alone something that goes against years of previous data.

3. VT Yankee Fan says:

Have the Yanks announced where all their newly drafted players will be playing? I look forward to seeing the guys who play for Staten Island when they play up here in VT.

4. forensic says:

Kind of surprised Brignac isn’t in there instead of Nix, given Colon’s huge platoon split and that Brignac has had a touch of success off him (which Nix hasn’t).

5. trr says:

I’ll keep it simple: Let’s win this damn thing!

6. Eddard says:

How did Michael Kay make it out to Oakland? I thought he couldn’t travel west of Chicago.

7. OldYanksFan says:

Bad night in Beantown
    Pitchers .IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
    J Lester 4.2 8 7 – 7 – 7 – 3 – 3 4.12

8. forensic says:

Gardner trying to get Cano’s bat out of the lineup…

9. Dalek Jeter says:

Brett continues to be on fire.

10. Wheels says:

Gardner is in the zone.

11. Eddard says:

Robbie walked against a pitcher who doesn’t walk anyone! Maybe it’s a sign that things will turn around.

12. forensic says:

Ok guys, gotta capitalize on this opportunity.

13. Dalek Jeter says:

Love the aggressive baserunning there!!!!

14. RkyMtnYank says:

I dunno, just don’t like Robbie batting 2nd esp with back to back lefties, would rather Tex bat 2nd even.

15. forensic says:

That was your pitch Hafner.

16. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

So, finally finished the TV series “Firefly”. Next up is “Serenity”.

Do not get the River love. She’s in the show less than any of the other major characters.I can see it more with “Objects in Space”, which is my favorite episode, but even with that she gets the least lines of all the major characters by far. I go it a little bit in “Objects in Space”; maybe I’ll get it more in “Serenity”.

Overall consensus: The show is a gem, and the only show I can honestly say I really enjoy more is “Sherlock”. Undoubtedly one of the best sci-fis of all time. Executive meddling aside, I can see why it didn’t work; the idea is definitely very different and you really need to be invested in all of the characters.

“Firefly” does what “Star Trek” tried to do, but better: Psychological character studies and moral dilemmas interspersed with humor, but with a better setting, better premise, and better (or at least more consistent) writing. It’s a crime that it was cancelled so quickly.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Lack of interest while it was on and Exec meddling. You should totally check out the comics Wheaton wrote that bridge from the show to the movie, it’s not necessary just very well written.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Oh, I’m planning on checking them out, absolutely.

I wonder if “Firefly” would have done better if it was formatted like “Sherlock”. I would prefer, though, if there weren’t three episodes a season, a new season every year and a half, and a cliffhanger at the end of every season, thanks. Still, hour and a half episodes fit the show well.

• WhittakerWalt says:

I believe they also ran it against Desperate Housewives, which killed in the ratings.

• Betty Lizard says:

Thank you, IIDMW, for recommending Sherlock. I started watching it and love it!

• Dalek Jeter says:

Yup, Sherlock is great. The only problem is there are more seasons of most shows than episodes of it.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I actually had to look up what that acronym stood for, and I only figured it out by reading an old thread I found on google where I told somebody else to use the acronym.

• Tom says:

Yeah, I’m going to have to check out Sherlock too…

I’d still recommend Justified – good dialogue, similar ambiguity on good/bad, very good character development – especially the secondary characters.

(insert disclaimer here about Breaking Bad and The Wire being the best shows ever before someone goes nuts)

17. forensic says:

Come on Youk! This would be a good time for you to start hitting.

18. teddy says:

come on youk

19. flamingo says:

Is Colon getting squeezed the way Gameday makes it look?

• forensic says:

Zone looks alright to me so far. The A’s announcers haven’t even bitched about it yet, so it’s been fine.

20. forensic says:

Terrible Youk…

21. OldYanksFan says:

fuk

22. teddy says:

knew only way ny was goin score if hafner drove them in

23. Wheels says:

You can do it, loverbay.

24. teddy says:

overbay should have batting before youk

25. forensic says:

That’s pitiful guys…

26. J Money says:

Hating the Youk signing more and more each day

• forensic says:

I was ok with the signing (though it was maybe a bit too much money), but he’s been a massive disappointment in many ways so far.

27. I'mVernonI'mVernon4U says:

Welp, saw that coming. At least we worked the pitch count though.

28. Eddard says:

I wonder where that guy is who said it’s better to make a pitcher throw 30 pitches in one inning and score 0 runs than make him throw 6 pitches in one inning and score 3 runs. I still can’t believe he said that. I’d rather be up 3-0 right now.

• J Money says:

Was he being serious about it. If he was, wow lol

• Matt says:

This guy completely changed the argument that was being made so as to make it sound ridiculous. These idiots cannot tell the difference between probabilities and outcomes.

I merely suggested that they take an approach which lowers the probability of scoring in one inning in exchange for increasing it later in the game against the middle relief corps. Of course, these brilliant commentators interpreted it as suggesting that they forfeit all of their at bats in the inning and decide to not score, rather than increasing the average number of runs over 9 at the expense of the number of runs in the first 3.

• Matt says:

I never said that. Not even close. You’re arguing against a strawman.

What I said was that I would rather them be more patient and slightly decrease their chance of scoring in that specific inning, rather than take the risk of hacking away and letting the guy go deep into the game for little reward, hence decreasing their overall run production.

That inning was still productive, even though they didn’t score. Going up there and swinging at the first pitch against a guy with good movement and no command would likely have been even less productive.

• Matt says:

I said that I wouldn’t mind them scoring a little less early in the game if it came in exchange for running the starter out of there after 5 or 6 and scoring more later in the game. And they don’t necessarily give up those runs either by being patient rather than aggressive. You can’t think in such absolutes.

29. forensic says:

Geez…

That didn’t take long.

30. I'mVernonI'mVernon4U says:

Didn’t CC give up a leadoff HR last time we faced the A’s?

31. Cy Pettitte says:

you have to be fucking kidding me

32. teddy says:

cc is dreadful in this park

33. stuart a says:

Youkilis with a 367 slugging percentage. he is a squater, slower Ichiro.

he has bee ndreadful along with wells, ichiro, and the left side of the infield to name a few of the boppers…

• Cy Pettitte says:

I have to wonder, besides the lack of depth, how much worse this team could have possibly been if they went with Adams at 3rd and Gardy/Boesch/Dickerson/Neal as their 4 OF while waiting for Grandy to come back and didn’t sign Ichiro, Youk and trade for Wells. those 4 would have all cost nothing and had no commitment required for 2014 and beyond

34. Dalek Jeter says:

Robbie makes it look too easy….lazy dominican.

35. Slu says:

Great play by Robbie.

36. Pat D says:

A great start for CC. Beautifully conceived, beautifully executed. I don’t think he got hit too hard.

37. vicki says:

i’m sorry, but robbie saying there’s “no chance” he’ll pick billy butler for the derby is the best story i’ve read in a long time.

38. J Money says:

Suzyn Waldman sure is obsessed with Jayson Nix huh

39. Eddard says:

Stewie is their 2nd best hitter right now. At least Gardner is up with a man on.

40. forensic says:

Offensive catcher!

41. Get Phelps Up says:

CMW in his return to MLB: 7.1 IP, 10H, 5R, 2 HR against one of the worst offenses in baseball.

• SDB says:

But it’s better than 5 IP, 10 H, 7 ER and 0 Ks from the Cy Young winner against the same team yesterday.

• forensic says:

I stopped watching around the 5th inning. Can’t believe he actually made it to 7.1 innings.

• vicki says:

who could’ve predicted that?

oh yeah. everybody.

• Tom says:

In Toronto, that’s what they call an average start.

• Matt says:

I’m rooting for him, but I’m glad that we can finally see that the Yankees were justified in not calling him up, despite the opinion of those around here who looked at his numbers against AAA hitters without consideration of how much his stuff has declined.

Other than one stretch in 2007, Wang had nothing to go to besides the sinker. If it’s 90-91 instead of 94-95, he’s going to get hit. It’s sad, but it’s reality.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Semi-related side note: the Jays still don’t have anyone who’s made more than 3 starts for them with an ERA+ greater than 87.

42. Pat D says:

Good god, that’s Bret Hart’s music!

43. Matt says:

Gotta love Joe Girardi. He was so concerned about breaking up the lefties in his order that he put a guy who has downright terrible since coming off the DL inbetween two of his better lefty hitters, thus killing their potentially big rally. The funny thing is that Youkilis is actually 3 for 33 against lefties so far this year, which is worse than even Overbay has performed against them.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I like what Overbay has done for us…but he has a sub .300OBP, he’s had some ‘clutch’ hits and has played a solid first, but beyond that I don’t understand everybody’s love for him.

• Matt says:

He is better than Youkilis right now, and especially against RHP. Against RHP, Overbay is hitting .286/.331/.526.

44. Pat D says:

Well that was awesome.

45. Eddard says:

What the hell is Overbay doing out there in RF?

• Matt says:

You can’t be serious? Wells has been so completely useless on offense that any advantage that he provides on defense is likely lost from his bat. You can’t judge a decision based on one play.

• Matt says:

Wells has been worth -0.5 WAR in just the first 10 days of June alone. Even with Overbay’s lack of range, he can probably do at least as well as that.

46. forensic says:

Well, there’s the predictable danger of having Overbay in the OF.

47. OldYanksFan says:

My guess is Ichiro in RF has that ball.

• forensic says:

Easily. That ball was in the air forever. Of course then you have Wells in LF and he may not have even caught the ball in the 1st inning. But, it’s still a valid point.

48. Dalek Jeter says:

I knew the Overbay to RF would be…”meh” at best.

49. Rolling Doughnut says:

Well it didn’t take long for the strategy to backfire.

50. OldYanksFan says:

Although I think Overbay was afraid of running into Cano on that play.

51. Havok9120 says:

I’m watching my first game on MLB.tv tonight. I could get used to this.

Happy Father’s Day to my dad.

52. Chris says:

So how was everybody’s Halloween?

53. Eddard says:

They had their shot that 1st inning when Colon was walking people. When your best hitter is Gardner and your second best hitter is Chris Stewart you’re probably going to get shut out.

54. I'mVernonI'mVernon4U says:

Working pitchers early with little to show for it and then allowing them to settle in seems like our MO lately.

Matt!!!!!

• I'mVernonI'mVernon4U says:

…what?

• Chris says:

that’s what matt wanted. matt!!!!

• Matt says:

No it isn’t. I wanted them to be consistently patient. They have been doing exactly what I said was going to bury them given their lack of talent in the offense: trying to steal a first pitch base hit by being aggressive but instead not making him work when they fail.

• I'mVernonI'mVernon4U says:

Oh, right. I don’t completely agree with it but I guess I could see how that philosophy might work if you were facing an ace.

It also sort of assumes that you’d rather face the other team’s bullpen. Probably true in a lot of cases but still an assumption.

• Matt says:

Thank you for actually trying to understand my point. I was making this point in a game that Felix Hernandez was pitching. It won’t be as valuable against Colon with the A’s pen, but in some cases you have to think about whether you’d score more runs on average if you spent more time on their middle relief.

• I'mVernonI'mVernon4U says:

Yeah, now that you mention it I do recall reading it during that game thread.

Right now though I’m losing confidence in this offense whether the starter is on the mound or not.

• Matt says:

Umm, this is proving my point exactly. They have stopped being patient and it is allowing him to both mow them down and go deeper into the game. You can’t be this aggressive with hitters this bad.

• Matt says:

They tried to be more aggressive and it failed, and now they are paying the price for their aggression. That is what I meant by saying that it is a high risk, low reward sort of gamble given the hitters that they have.

matt!!!!

• Matt says:

The more you do this, the dumber you look. You can’t just make up a new argument and then pin it on someone.

The hilarious part about your posts is that you are trying to mock me by pointing to tonight’s game, when tonight’s game is exactly what I was saying was the risk of being over-aggressive when a pitcher was on the ropes.

• Chris says:

dude, i paid almost no attention to what you said the other night. Of course it got blown up, mostly for fun. I didn’t read the 8000 posts about it..because I really don’t care. I just find it funny to type “Matt!!!” after everything you say, because I can see you getting so angry in front of your computer. And that, sir, is hilarious to me. lighten up

• Matt says:

I’m not angry, I’m just stunned at how immature and stupid you are. You are only embarrassing yourself with the petty personal attacks.

People on here are actually trying to discuss baseball.

• Chris says:

If I can mix in this with baseball, all the better. What would you like to discuss about this sh*tshow on TV?

• Mike Axisa says:

He walked six batters all year. Patience results in a lot of 0-2 counts.

• Tom says:

Also in this day and age with much deeper bullpens, I’m not sure it is all that beneficial to get the starter out that extra inning or two early (unless it is an elite starter).

Especially if you are sacrificing production like taking pitches 2-0, 3-1 or passing on a first pitch fastball right down the middle simply to run up pitch count.

• Matt says:

I was making this point in the game that FELIX HERNANDEZ was pitching. Do you think Seattle’s middle relief is better than Felix Hernandez? It’s amazing at how much you people take my comments completely out of their context and then try to make up such ridiculous hyperbole that of course they sound ridiculous.

matt!!!

• Matt says:

You are the guiltiest by virtue of starting this thread. Nobody with any kind of analytical bent would be dumb enough as to take an argument made in one context and to apply it in blanket fashion to every other situation even remotely resembling the original. You’re an embarrassment.

• Tom says:

Speaking of taking comments out of context… perhaps you could look at the comment I was responding too (which wasn’t yours)

Speaking of hyperbole…look at your comment

“Do you really think Seattle’s middle rellief is better than Felix Hernandez” is apparently what my comment says?

Pot… meet Mr Kettle…

• Matt says:

How do you expect me to figure out which comment you responded to on a thread this long? It took me almost 2 or 3 tries just now to figure out that you were responding to the first post and not the second. Your post was written in a way in which it directly responded to my comments. I’m sorry that I didn’t realize that, but you didn’t make it very easy to figure that out.

I specifically mentioned in the other day’s post that I would NOT advocate that kind of approach against a lesser starter, who might be more hittable than the middle relief. The funny thing is that the people who are criticizing me never once read the original posts, which already acknowledge those situations.

• Tom says:

Oh give me a break… it was the second box. You know what that means? (I’ll help you out for future reference)

It’s a reply to the original comment… this was not something 6-8 boxes in where it’s hard to tell which comment in the middle of a long reply tree it’s a response to.

And putting that aside, you read my comment and (re) interpret it that I’m saying or asking if the middle relief in SEA is better than Felix? And this is right on the heals of you bitching about other people reinterpreting your comments and resorting to hyperbole?

How about reading my comment I specifically said UNLESS ITS AN ELITE STARTER…. yet you did the same exact thing you are whining about other people doing.

55. The Real Greg says:

That is why they didn’t do that move in Seattle. They should have continued that strategy in Oakland.

And it has cost them.

56. The Real Greg says:

As for the ROFLMAOffense.

Chris Stewart has been invaluable to this team offensively.

You can’t ignore what he is doing with the bat anymore.

57. Dalek Jeter says:

I love the “stronger than the storm” thing, and I love that the shore is at least almost what it was before Sandy…but god is Christie fat.

58. The Real Greg says:

My promise still stands, My taco stand is giving away a free taco dinner to all my friends here if we make the playoffs.

59. UncleArgyle says:

Looks like Feces Sabathia showed up to make the start tonight. He must have spent his home coming gourging himself on Cap’N’Crunch or something.

60. Matt says:

Would have been nice if Youkilis did that with the nearly identical pitch he got on 2-1 in the first…

• Get Phelps Up says:

But then he wouldn’t have seen as many pitches!!!!!!!!

• Havok9120 says:

That’d only be 4 pitches tho. Isn’t that too aggressive?

Boy are you dumb

• Havok9120 says:

I knowwwwwww. I’s such a dunce.

Now give me back my pointy cap.

• Matt says:

Your immature personal attacks make it obvious that you can’t refute my arguments. You’re just embarrassing yourself.

• Havok9120 says:

I’ve yet to “attack” you a single time, unless mockery (which I do to everyone, myself included, and do so gently) counts as an “attack.” One would think that a guy who’s standard retort is some variation of “you’re dumb/immature/embarrassing yourself/too incompetent to respect my wisdom” would be able to better identify personal attacks.

One would be incorrect.

• Matt says:

I’m not going to waste any more time responding to someone who will do anything to ignore the actual issue at hand. I’m pretty sure that I’ve already won this argument many times over. Goodnight.

• Chris says:

it’s only too aggressive if it’s felix hernandez. You didn’t read the pamphlet? I love you, Matt

• Matt says:

Nobody in their right mind would be stupid enough to try to argue against something that they never read? Oh wait, you are.

• Havok9120 says:

Forget a pamphlet. This strikes me as one of those rules for which we’d need a textbook-sized manual to enter in all of the qualifications, explanations, and footnotes of this strategy.

• Matt says:

Umm, the point was that it was an approach for a specific pitcher. Nobody except for you was suggesting that it be applied in blanket fashion to every situation.

And it’s pretty obvious from every one of your posts that you have no comprehension of even the basic essence of my argument. If you don’t understand the point, then you certainly have no credibility when you try to “refute” it.

• Havok9120 says:

Oh, pretty much all of us understood your argument. It’s just that not a single person who agreed with you (assuming there were any, which doesn’t seem a very high-percentage bet) actually said so. Those that disagree with you aren’t simply trolling you or too stupid to comprehend your brilliance, we simply think you’re wrong.

And that your constant moving of the goalposts and addition of caveats is amusing.

• Chris says:

to be fair, i’m pretty much just trolling him. If we’re being honest

• Havok9120 says:

Looking back, yes. Yes you are.

My initial post was just teasing (we’ve been known to do that here, you know), but now I’m actually kinda worked up.

• Matt says:

I don’t care if you disagree with me if it is clear that you don’t comprehened the argument, and are fighting against a strawman.

A lot of disagreement does not mean that is wrong. Most physicists disagreed with the quantum mechanics interpretation of physics when it was first proposed, but they were shown to be wrong.

• Chris says:

I can definitely see the similarities between your theory and quantum mechanics interpretation of physics. Definitely similar evidence. Can’t argue that.

61. Dalek Jeter says:

Has anybody ever told Ichiro to stay in the goddamned box until he complete his swing?!

• Havok9120 says:

He just pretended not to understand.

• Dalek Jeter says:

If any other hitter in the history of baseball, softball, cricket, or any other batted ball type sport did that every single one of his or her coaches would tell them “stay on the ball and drive it.”

• vicki says:

didn’t his japanese manager keep him down on the farm to try to make him stop? it’s earned him 4000 hits on his career but it’s ass-ugly. i always hated it, and it makes me so mad now he’s in pinstripes i avert my eyes.

62. The Real Greg says:

We may e adding Chase Utley from alot of reports, the Phillies want Kuroda however, as far as Utley goes, put him at short with Derek out, that Chase is so gorgeous, I would actually eat the corn kernals out of his poo, Yep!!!

63. Dalek Jeter says:

Jesus, this thread is a fucking disaster.

64. forensic says:

This offense sure is good at putting a lot of games in the ‘blah’ category.

65. Matt says:

Chase Utley, wowzer Love that dudes behind.

• Matt says:

Looks like somebody can’t argue against my posts, so they resort to trying to impersonate me. That’s about as pathetic as it gets. Priceless.

• The Real Greg says:

Well we’re in the same boat.

• Havok9120 says:

Every single person present in that Game Thread argued against you and every counter argument you made. If you really think this is our Grand Master Plan against you, you need a better appreciation of your opposition.

• Matt says:

And most of those people never once read the argument, and attacked one or two lines of it taken completely out of context.

The one person who actually did read the argument above agreed that it was reasonable.

You people are so obsessed with attacking people that post unconventional ideas that you only make yourself look like a fool.

• I'mVernonI'mVernon4U says:

Yep, gonna call it a night. I hope I hear of a miraculous 9th inning come back tomorrow.

• I'mVernonI'mVernon4U says:

Reply fail.

To be fair though, I agree only to an extent.

• Havok9120 says:

What he’s finally settled on as his final argument is pretty reasonable. It also bears very little resemblence to his initial argument. Or at least the initial argument as he explained it.

That he’s so quick to resort to calling anyone arrayed against him an imbecile doesn’t help matters.

• Matt says:

Umm, no. That was my argument the whole time. You never once read the original posts, and simply made assumptions.

I said it from the first post in the thread. That I wouldn’t mind if they scored a little less early in the game IF they scored more runs later in the game to offset it as a result of changing their approach at the plate.

There was ALWAYS that second component attached to it. Even my original post said that. And yet, even the first person who responded to the ORIGINAL POST ignored the second half of the sentence and tried to twist it.

• Matt says:

The point refers to changing the EXPECTED NUMBER OF RUNS across NINE innings. So you trade off a bit between the early and later innings. As long as the average across 9 innings is higher, it doesn’t matter if you lower your chance of scoring in any one inning.

That might result in not scoring a run that you would have otherwise scored, but that has nothing to do with the ex-ante decision making process. You are always trying to score, but a baseball game is a 9 inning game, not 3.

• Chris says:

In your theories, I’m always reading that you assume not scoring early and taking more pitches automatically means you score late. Which is obviously crazy.

And if I’m taking you wrong and you don’t think that, why are you even saying anything? Or what are you saying? Cause that is how it reads.

If you are just saying they should be more patient, then why don’t you just type that sentence. For someone who claims to be arguing with analytically, you are making a lot of assumptions that just aren’t true.

66. Anderson Silva says:

So, the offense and CC both suck?

67. Cy Pettitte says:

how the fuck do you give up 2 HRs in 4 innings in this park? at least I don’t have to stay up until 1AM, this game is over.

68. Anderson Silva says:

Pathetic.

69. forensic says:

Ugh. With this offense, that may be game right there.

70. your mom says:

Glad to see Boston got hammered. Looks like Lester is coming back to form. Bucholz is next.

71. Wheels says:

Just a bad night.

72. The Real Greg says:

Again, we have no ace. Kuroda’s not the ace, CC’s not the ace. Pettite could be if he stays healthy.

• The Doctor says:

What about BGDP? I hear he’s better than King Felix.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

How in the world do you get Pettitte could be but Hirok isn’t.
      It may be none end up having an ace-like season, but Hirok is clearly ahead of Pettitte (and CC).

73. Jorge Brosada says:

CC blows this year. It’s the truth

• The Doctor says:

Even after giving up 5 runs, his ERA is just a tick over 4. Considering the division he plays in, that doesn’t suck. It’s not ace like, but it’s still above average.

• UncleArgyle says:

Agreed. Feces Sabathia is the latest to join the ranks of over paid once great players. Now that he’s lost his fastball he’s basically a non descript innings eater making 25 mil a year.

74. Get Phelps Up says:

I think that should only count for one run because the batter was too aggressive against a good pitcher.

• The Doctor says:

We’re really still winning because we’re taking pitches instead of scoring.

(Ok we aren’t even doing that but I still can’t get over that comment)

• Matt says:

That was never what I said. Go back and read the original post.

Lowering their PROBABILITY of scoring in an inning is not the same as CHOOSING NOT TO SCORE.

You are so unbelievably stupid if you can’t figure this out.

75. your mom says:

Shit CC. Guess I don’t have to waste my time following this stinker. Time to go out and drink some beer. Mango hefeweizen is delish.

76. forensic says:

First career 4-RBI game for Derek Norris. Well done CC…

77. The Real Greg says:

So we are all going to forget his past two starts and totally go with this one.

• Anderson Silva says:

Or you can count this start, the last 2, and the previous 3 or 4 before that where he sucked ass. His season is not very good

• Tom says:

You do realize he’s given up at least 4ER in four of his last 5 starts?

His start against Boston was tremendous, but I think you are putting too much weight on that Cleveland game. A complete game is nice but he still gave up 4ER against a team that was in the middle of a 4-14 tailspin. (He did pitch better than the 4ER would indicate though)

78. forensic says:

3 pitches for 2 outs. Is the offense trying to get done and go out on the town for a bit?

79. The Real Greg says:

Well that explains it more. CC has a horrible record in Oakland anyway.

4-5 with a 5.02 ERA

80. forensic says:

6 walks all season. 3 walks in this game with 2 of them to Cano.

That’s tailormade for Sterling…

81. vicki says:

damn, spurs. statement much?

• Wheels says:

Wow, Spurs by 36.

• Tom says:

Wow. Forgot they were playing tonight.

I did think people over-reacted to game 2. That game was tight through 3 quarters until Miami trounced them in the 4th.

The 2-3-2 format really works against the lower seed though. It’s hard to win 3 straight and if they don’t they (obviously) lose home court. Never understood why the NBA does this.

82. The Doctor says:

I take the blame for that, I was just thinking that I didn’t really want to watch a game tonight. It just gave me a reason to follow through. Just some bad karma.

83. Cy Pettitte says:

and people wonder why YES ratings are cratering this year. this is unwatchable baseball.

84. The Real Greg says:

So Anderson Silva has brought up a question.

Should the Yankees have resigned CC in the first place?

• UncleArgyle says:

No, they shouldn’t have. It’s obvious he’s in decline. He doesn’t have the control to dominate with an 89 mph fastball. Fat boy got old quick it seems

• Chris says:

I was out on CC, I’m out on Robbie too. But then again, I don’t mind a year or two of sucking..so that we don’t keep signing declining players to awful contracts.

• Anderson Silva says:

that’s a good strategy when you can develop good young players

• Chris says:

I see that to a point, but they never give them a chance to finish developing at the big league level. No patience from fans/media/douches. Joba would be a starter still on any other team, had he come up with someone else.

• Havok9120 says:

To be fair, he didn’t really bring that up. That was more you.

But my answer is “yes.” It made way too much sense at the time.

• forensic says:

They probably needed to, but there were definitely concerning things about it. I was kind of in between on it personally.

85. The Real Greg says:

We need etter moderation here, and Matt, you left your keys at the East Side Clue again, Skippy is holding them, call him at (212) 753-2222 btw, how did it go with that cute twink you had the other night..

86. Cuso says:

But if you’re a slow turtle and end up in the middle of the road, what happens?

Austin?

87. Matt says:

WFT is wrong with you, airing our personal business here, STFU dude.

88. The Real Greg says:

I’m pissed off at how low this has gotten.

Good night.

89. Anderson Silva says:

CC is such an ace! He’s battling and is going to hold the other team to just the early runs!

90. wow says:

this team sucks. I don’t see how ownership thinks this is a legitimate Yankees team, let alone a contender.

91. Anderson Silva says:

how are these players major leaguers if they can’t hit fastballs? they are not even on the corners

92. The Real Greg says:

Okay I’m back listening to Lost in the Supermarket. Whimsical song.

93. Chris says:

So CC has now given up more HR’s than Homerun Hughes. Wow..and Teixeira is 2-21 on this trip. How this team has won this number of games is beyond me.

94. Havok9120 says:

This game and everything associated with it is truly unfortunate.

Oh well. We’ll get them tomorrow.

95. Anderson Silva says:

fuck the fat guy..

96. forensic says:

More great defense from Stewart. And. as usual, CC was late covering a base/plate.

97. Deez Nuts says:

Watching CC pitch is painful. Velocity, location, and pitch selection all suck balls. Tired of seeing this fat worthless Mr. Potatohead jackass take the mound and get hammered every single time. Pineda can’t come back fast enough maybe CC needs a trip to the DL either that it he’s just done as an Ace type pitcher

98. Chris says:

These are the types of games where i root for them to be utterly embarrassed. If that makes me a bad fan, oh well. I’ve put in enough time this year watching them play awful baseball, so I’ve earned it.

99. Dalek Jeter says:

This thread is an abomination compared to threads of seasons past. Seriously, whoever is highjacking people’s handles, you have nothing better to do?

As for the doom and gloomers, yeah this game is ugly. Yeah, CC hasn’t been great, but we’re also coming off of a 4 game series win. A series in which we beat Felix Hernandez. Before that we took the Indians and made them go from red hot to ice cold. Are we a great team? Gods no. Are we the horrible team you’re all making it out to be? No. We’re a slightly below average offense with the best overall pitching staff in baseball. That to me is a average to good team.

And the taking pitches vs being aggressive argument that I’ve been avoiding like the plague, it’s really a matter of the type of hitter, the pitcher, and the pitches being thrown. Against a guy like Bart, you can’t be Jason Giambi style patient because you’ll be 0-2 every count. Against a guy who pitches to corners, that’s a different story, you can take more pitches. As for a guy like Gardner, if he’s getting a 1st pitch fastball right down the middle I want him swinging at it everyday, and a guy like Youk, who sees a lot of pitches…I want him to do that. There is no plan you can use as a blanket strategy.

• Chris says:

There is no way that pitching is holding up, so added to that below average offense = trouble

• Dalek Jeter says:

Why not? Are Mo and D-Rob suddenly going to stop being Mo and DRob? Is Kuroda going to suddenly stop being the All Star he’s been his entire career? I mean we have the best pitching in the league with CC, Hughes, and Nova having terrible years (CC by his standards has been bad). The only true surprise in the way of a positive has been Phelps.

• Chris says:

I think the bullpen will regress a bit. You are getting unsustainable production from Claiborne. Everything has been going too good with Logan to continue. I know I’ll be killed in my sleep for saying this, but Mo looks pretty average to me..stuff wise..There is a lot of season left. Though obviously, he’s not any type of problem even if he regresses.

CC is probably going to do this the whole year. Uncharted territory with diminished velocity to think he’ll just bounce back. Hughes is giving you an ERA of almost 4.8, so it’s tough to say he’s contributing to a league best pitching staff. He’s hurting it. Pettitte = health. Like you said, Phelps isn’t keeping that up either. I wouldn’t even put Nova in this conversation. Pineda could help. Feels like alot of smoke and mirrors to me that could go downhill fast. Would love to be wrong.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I brought up CC, Hughes, and Nova because even with them sustaining their level of (for lack of a better term) production, if everybody else does as well…we still have damn good pitching.

• forensic says:

Best pitching staff in baseball is a bit of a stretch, IMO.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I meant to say American League, sorry it’s late here. And I remember Axisa writing a column either yesterday or today about how they’ve allowed the fewest runs in the AL, so I think that would stand as valid.

100. I'mVernonI'mVernon4U says:

Now its just really ugly. Calling it a night… can’t wait to hear about the game-winning Chris Stewart grand slam in the top of the 9th tomorrow.

101. forensic says:

Well, at least we don’t have to watch the Astros every night…

102. Get Phelps Up says:

People with Extra innings or MLB.tv should turn on the Dodgers/Dbacks game now.

• SDB says:

Turning into more of a trainwreck than this thread.

The Puig HBP earlier was ugly though. Right in the nose. Ow.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Benches just cleared, because IPK was head hunting, right?

• SDB says:

It’s like kindergarten – “no, YOU started it.”

Greinke hit Ross with a pitch, IPK hit Puig in the face in his next AB, Greinke hit Montero in the letters (no big deal made there), then IPK hit Greinke to clear the benches.

Incidentally, two of the 4 runs scored came from HRs after Ross and Puig went to first after being hit.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Wow…you shouldn’t ever go after the other guy…that’s just grounds for suspension as well as you getting yourself plunked in the future as well as your team’s best player. I didn’t realize it was Greinke he hit the second time.

• forensic says:

Geez. Greinke seems to be in the middle of a bunch of stuff like this so far this year.

• Chris says:

Didn’t see it, but IPK hits a ton anyway

• forensic says:

Just flipped it on but nothing is happening. What was going on?

• Get Phelps Up says:

IPK hit Greinke and then there was a pretty big brawl. I didn’t see if anyone charged the mound or anything, but there were definatley punches being thrown. The benches also cleared earlier after Montero got hit.

• Wheels says:

Who wins in a fight: Kirk Gibson or Mark McGwire?

103. Dalek Jeter says:

Comeback starts here.

104. Chris says:

Apparently every team hates the dodgers

105. Wheels says:

Yeah Tex

106. Dalek Jeter says:

I think somebody is about to be a Pronx Bomber.

107. Wheels says:

Vern!

108. Dalek Jeter says:

Wells w/ a hit and an RBI!

109. Get Phelps Up says:

That was a pretty nice AB off the bench for Vernon.

110. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I wonder if this guy is going to impersonate me? If so, will he be good?

111. Cuso says:

Youkilis is kind of a bum.

This Dodger-D-back game is way more fun right now

112. Dalek Jeter says:

Ichiro completely sucked the fun out of that inning.

113. FIN says:

Was CC as shitty as the score says? Too many shit games from him this year (on an ace scale).

• forensic says:

Pretty much, yeah.

• Get Phelps Up says:

He wasn’t great, but he also got victimized by some bad luck and shoddy defense.

• nycsportzfan says:

I’m sick of the big assed lefty giving up multi run shots from nobodys like Derek Norris tonight. Without that 2out smash by Norris, its 3-2 right now instead of game basically being over at 6-2.

On a side note, Preston Claiborne has been sensational, and the yanks need to keep getting those big hard throwing college kids in the mid rds , as we seem to have luck with them.

114. FIN says:

Eesh CC’s ERA over 4 now!

115. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Question from you guys: Say you run a theater charity. You get an e-mail from a hotmail address, with bad grammar, from a woman you’ve never heard of, asking you to give out information about your charity – basic things like the cast, location, history…you know the drill.

When she asks who she is, she claims to be the writer of a theater column of a fairly large but local newspaper. You look her up, and that really is the name of the writer of the theater column, but you can’t confirm anything else, including if that is her actual e-mail. Do you give the information asked for? Or call BS?

Opinions appreciated, guys. Thanks.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Tell her you’ll give her an interview if she agrees to meet with you, any journalist would take the meeting in a heart beat.

• Tom says:

I’d be cautious.

Maybe contact the paper and ask how you could contact the writer (or see if they will verify the hotmail address?)

• forensic says:

Call her newspaper and ask her boss or someone if she’s really writing an article on you guys.

• vicki says:

nice try. seems like a lot of work for very little pay-off though.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Contacting the paper seems like the best option. Due to legal issues (as in, the actors don’t want to) the cast doesn’t want their names out there anyway, so I’m wondering how much telling our full story could hurt.

I’ll probably just contact the paper then and see what’s up though, because that seems like the best idea.

116. Tom says:

One more baserunner…

117. forensic says:

At least they made them use Cook and Balfour. That’s sort of an accomplishment in itself considering what it looked like an inning or two ago.

118. Dalek Jeter says:

TEX!!!

Okay Pronk, make me regret sitting you in fantasy today!!

119. Get Phelps Up says:

Tying run at the plate!

120. Wheels says:

Don’t turn off your sets just yet.

121. Darren says:

Come on baby! Making it interesting!!!

122. Tom says:

Is Oakland holding the runner up 2?

123. Dalek Jeter says:

Sigh…at least they made it interesting.

124. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Damn that was close.

125. Wheels says:

wow, so close

126. vicki says:

pretty cool anyway.

127. forensic says:

Oh well. At least they made it interesting. Kind of expected that outcome after CC put them in the huge hole.

128. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

O’Neill rule in effect for tomorrow, right?

129. Get Phelps Up says:

Dammit.
    At least we made it interesting and they had to use their best pitchers.

130. Chris says:

CC has to feel like a fat whale after that final score.

131. Petebest says:

Damn!! Hafner almost got it

132. Chris says:

I like to think of CC in terms of what he made to pitch tonight..About 718,750. Well done sir

133. stuart a says:

offense scored 4 runs a near miracle..

so many blackholes in the lineup, they need granderson back soon.

CC over 4 era, nothing else to say he has been average for the season. socking up a lot of lousy innings…

• WhittakerWalt says:

One of these days you’ll say something coherent.
      Or just stay on the Mets blogs where you belong.
      Either one works for me.

134. WhittakerWalt says:

I didn’t exactly enjoy this game (to put it mildly), but a lot of these comments about CC were over the line. Did dalelama come back with a new target for his hatred?

• fin says:

Sure there were alot of over the line comments, but people are disappointed in a guy who has been a rock since the day he signed. I would personally like to see him go back to his normal weight, this thinner cc doesn’t work. I still love the dude and always will, probably my favorite Yankee pitcher since Guidry.

• WhittakerWalt says:

I’m disappointed in him too. Very much so. But I was more disappointed in the excessively vitriolic personal comments.

• fin says:

Its the interweb, no one is held accountable. Probably the same people that know the Yankees did a better job of drafting this year because the media told them the Yankees did. Reality is the odds are strongly against any of those guys making it. Odds are the three of them look like Bichette and Culver in a yr or 2.
          Real fans know whats going on, is what I’m trying to say.