Jun

Update: Cashman confirms Yankees hope to re-sign Girardi

June 3rd: Cashman confirmed to Ian O’Connor that the team does indeed want to re-sign Girardi. “We’d like to have Joe Girardi back … We have a great interest in keeping him, and hopefully Joe will be here. I think there’s really no reason to believe Joe won’t be here,” said the GM to no one’s surprise.

May 18th: Via Jon Heyman: The Yankees have not yet had contract extension talks with either Joe Girardi or Brian Cashman. Cashman is under contract through 2014, so that’s no big deal, but Girardi’s deal expires after this season.

The Yankees do not negotiate new contracts until the current one expires thanks to their archaic team policy, and right now I have no reason to believe they won’t try to bring Girardi back after the season. The team is far exceeding post-injury expectations and the credit for that deservingly goes to the manager. If Girardi doesn’t return, my guess it will be his decision — wants a new challenge, another club makes a huge offer, burnout, etc. — and not the team’s.

1. trr says:

At this point it’s pretty tough not to support the return of both.
    Hope they get it done

2. Preston says:

I always wonder why people report non-events like this. It’s May, and a team that usually doesn’t negotiate extensions hasn’t begun extension talks with it’s manager whose contract is up at the end of the season or their GM whose contract isn’t up until next season. Big news.

• KeithK says:

I like seeing “news” like this. It means that nothing else interesting is happening (which this year means that no one new has gone on the DL today).

3. dp says:

Promote Cashman to team president and fire Girardi….we still need change.

• Nuke Guy (Knoxvillain) says:

I wanted Girardi fired last year, but I’ve changed my mind. I don’t mind him sticking around since he’s done a pretty good job this year.

• JohnnyC says:

They probably will promote him and install Billy Eppler as GM. The jury’s out on whether Eppler’s up to the task.

• steve (different one) says:

I don’t love Girardi, but what rational reason is there to “fire” him? There isn’t one. He’s in first place with a lineup of castoffs, and coming off an ALCS appearance.

I can kindof understand wanting to move on when his contract expires, but fire him? Completely delusional.

But I guess we need Mattingly, right? He’s just killing it out in LA.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

This.

See no reason to replace either one of them since their replacements aren’t likely to be upgrades.

• Mikhel says:

Tony Peña. He is a good manager, give him a team with a few good players and he will win. In KC he won manager of the year with not a very good team which imploded.

• trr says:

yup….
        Mattingly is just a fan favorite, they wouldn’t hire him for that like they did with Ich-

4. JohnnyC says:

Reid Brignac?

5. Guns says:

Three more years of intentional walks, bunting, shifting the defense and then pitching away from the shift, 8th inning guys, 7th inning guys, and an unbearable reliance on small sample size platoon splits that defy any and all logic.

Bring it on.

6. Pat D says:

Cashman failed again.

In all seriousness, I’m not sure who’s out there that would do a better job. I’d much rather they retain Girardi than theoretically hire Mattingly. Beyond that, I’m not sure what rising stars are out there. I certainly wouldn’t want some retread.

7. Kosmo says:

Girardi has done an admirable job so far this season taking into account the hand that´s been dealt to him. Personally I don´t like his managing style.
    I´d be OK with Mattingly, Dave Miley or Willie Randolph.

8. Dj says:

Rather have Tony Pena as coach. Just my opinion.