Jun

Monday Night Open Thread

(Al Bello/Getty)

(Al Bello/Getty)

The Yankees are off tonight and I hope you enjoy it. After tonight, their next off-day isn’t until the All-Star break in three weeks. A stretch of 20 games in 20 days starts tomorrow night, which is pretty much the exact opposite of what this old, injury-wrecked team needs at the moment. I guess the good news is that 13 of those 20 games are at home, including the final ten. By no means will it be a make or break stretch at this point of the season, but these next three weeks are very important for the Yankees as they try to hang around the AL East race.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the evening. There are only four (!) baseball games on tonight, or really five if you count Game One of the College World Series Finals (UCLA vs. Mississippi State). That can be seen on ESPN at 8pm ET. The Dodgers and Giants (Ryu vs. Bumgarner) will be on ESPN2 at 10pm ET, plus Game Six of the Stanley Cup Finals will air at 8pm ET on NBC. Talk about any of those game or anything else here. Go nuts.

Self-Promotion: I wrote this quick little post at CBS about Brett Gardner being an under-the-radar All-Star Game candidate. Check it out.

Categories : Open Thread

1. trr says:

Nice article on Gardner, but the All Star voting seems as much name (BIG NAME) recognition as anything. He really is having a very solid all around year for us, though.

2. Kramerica Industries says:

June 24, 2009.

The Day that Salvaged the Championship

• jjyank says:

This game is a lot more fun than dalelama and his “This day in 1965″ crap.

• Kramerica Industries says:

The 1965 parallels lost all their weight when the Yankees got off to a good start and have still not been under .500 since the 7th game of the season (hell, the ’09 squad was actually sitting below the break-even mark as late as 33 games in). If memory serves, the collapse beginning in 1965 pretty much began from the first game. It was immediate and they never spent a day above .500.

• jjyank says:

Nothing dalelama says has any weight. Ever.

Just saying that I applaud your new attempt at past parallels.

• Kramerica Industries says:

It was such a weird game, too. Obviously, the famous thing from that day was Cash flying into Atlanta or something for a team meeting.

But, with regards to the game itself, it started off the same way as many recent games had. The Yankees were facing a Japanese pitcher on the Braves (I cannot remember his name specifically, but his initials were K.K. or something), he got drilled on the head or something during the game and was taken out fairly early, the Yankees were down 1-0 in the 6th, Gardner gets picked off 1B on a pretty awful call, Girardi basically begs the umpire to eject him, and then freakin’ Francisco Cervelli bops a HR to L-CF to bring the team to life. The Yankees won that game 8-4, won the next night 11-6, and then proceeded to lay waste to pretty much everyone the rest of the way on their schedule, en route to a 65-27 finishing kick in the regular season, 76-31 playoffs included.

Damn. That was some fun shit to watch.

• Kosmo says:

1965 Yanks did spend part of the month of August above .500. 62-60 I believe was their highwater mark.

3. Tom says:

Haven’t seen anything today, has Cashman mentioned what they are doing with the roster for tomorrow? I assume Nova is being sent down?

Neal has to be down for 10 days (barring an injury), so who does that leave? I think pretty much all of the likely 40man candidates are on the DL.

I really hope the Yankees aren’t considering a 3 man bench of Gonzalez, Romina and Wells(/Almonte) for a little while. I guess they could add someone to the 40man (Lillebridge? Johnson?) and DFA someone like Mesa?

• Tom says:

*Romine* not Romina (insert he hit’s like a girl joke here)

• Tom says:

And *Lillibridge* and *hits* – maybe I should learn to type and spell and punctuate? Yikes!

• jjyank says:

Happens to the best of us dude. I could see the Yanks calling up some fodder like Lillibridge or some such move in the short term. Not really any good options. A bummer that Mustelier is on the DL, he’d be the prime candidate most likely.

• D23 says:

Mesa is too young to release in my opinion. While he does strike out a ton, he still has pop and is valuable defense. Got to hold on to him for another year. One thing though they do need to create a spot for Lillibridge because Adams is really struggling and lost at the plate that he needs to be sent down to basically fix his mechanics, mentality, etc.

• Tom says:

I wasn’t thinking outright release, just DFA to move him off the 40man roster. I’m not sure at this point anyone would claim him.

They could also do what they did with Adams and outright him to get him off the 40man, with some sort of understanding the would reign him to a minor league contract.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

26. Older than a ton of guys doing the rounds all over major league rosters. Has never learned how to avoid the strikeout. That profile is a ton of guys bouncing around rosters. It’s a matter of time before he’s a goner.

4. Dan says:

If the Boss was still alive, I have a feeling this is what the lineup would look like on this day 2013.

CF-Brett Gardner

SP-Yu Darvish
    SP-C.C. Sabathia
    SP-Hiroki Kuroda
    SP-Andy Pettitte
    SP-Michael Pineda

• Dan says:

Its actually pretty much a guarantee that it’s exactly what it would look like.

• Mike Axisa says:

How cute, you think Jesus Montero still would have been traded for Michael Pineda and not Ryan Dempster or some other old fart.

• Dan says:

That’s a really mean thing to say.

• jjyank says:

Hah, this.

I also love the “on this day 2013.” part. Like The Boss would have magically prevented injuries to Granderson, Teixeira, Pineda, Jeter, and A-Rod. Just high comedy.

• Dan says:

The regular roster with the exception of the injuries. Thought that would have gone with out saying but…

• jjyank says:

If the Boss wasn’t alive and injuries weren’t an issue, the line up would still include Pineda, Granderson, Teixeira, A-Rod, and Jeter. And that line up could even have the Yankees in first place right now. So this is really just a stupid point.

• jjyank says:

Also, the Boss would have rolled the dice correctly on all of those? Because he never made mistakes?

Your comment is the height of 20/20 hindsight arm-chair GMing, and it’s entirely pointless.

• Pat D says:

Why is it that my eyes originally saw “GMing” as “Greg-ing?”

We’re too harsh on Greg sometimes.

• Dan says:

Yeah true, subbing Puig and Ichiro, Cespedes and Wells, Romine/Stewart and Martin, and Yu Darvish and Phil Hughes wouldn’t even register at all. Dude, are you a GM in real life? Cause you’re obviously a genius.

• jjyank says:

…says the guy plugging in his 20/20 hindsight to make super easy moves. Again, this is a completely pointless comment.

• Pat D says:

Cause you’re obviously a genius.

Says the guy guaranteeing what the Yankees lineup would be if a guy in his mid-80s was still calling the shots.

• Dan says:

His track record included going after those who had tons of hype and fanfare. All 3 of these guys had that. It’s a pretty safe bet. Accept it and move on. I’m with you friend. Let me know if you need any more help.

• jjyank says:

And those were the only guys to ever have any hype in the last few years? No, George could have easily signed CJ Wilson, Josh Hamilton, and Albert Pujols instead. This is really so, so dumb.

We have all hindsight buddy. Most of us are just smart enough to not use it in this context.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Hahahahahahahhahhahahahhahahaha*deep breath*hahahhahahahahahaha

More like:

CF Gardner
      SS Jeter
      LF Hamilton
      1B Pujols
      2B Cano
      3B A-Rod
      RF Some ridiculous FA
      C Martin

SP Sabathia
      SP Sanchez (at some ridiculous price)
      SP Grienke (at more than he was paid
      SP Thow away more money
      SP Throw away more money

• Kramerica Industries says:

Hamilton’s .207 in New York would’ve certainly put him back on some drugs.

• Dan says:

He doesn’t need to do drugs, just needs to start dipping again. That’s when it went down hill last summer. He quit that and the fall began.

• Pat D says:

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

/too easy’d

• Dan says:

He does’t do drugs of any kind. He is a Christian.

• jjyank says:

I know you’re straight up trolling, but here it is anyway.

Opening quote: “It was 2 a.m. when Josh Hamilton, strung out on crack cocaine, his once-robust 6-foot-4, 230-pound body withered to 180 pounds, most of his $3.96-million signing bonus squandered on booze and drugs, staggered up the steps to his grandmother’s house in Raleigh, N.C.”

• Dan says:

That was years ago. He reads the Bible and stuff now. I’m being serious dude.

• Dalek Jeter says:

He relapsed and got hammered like 2 seasons ago. I’m not saying people cant change but to say “he doesn’t do drugs of any kind” and infer that he never has is disingenuous.

• Dan says:

Art Moreno apparently thinks that the Hamilton deal will not be able to be objectively graded until it’s over. That’s pretty interesting.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Well technically the Mets aren’t going to be a 100 loss team until the season’s over, but I’m pretty sure it could be said now that they’re a bad team.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

HE READS THE BIBLE LIKE TIM TEBOW. HE OBVIOUSLY CAN DO NO WRONG.

• WhittakerWalt says:

You never stop being an addict. You just try to make it one day at a time without using.

• Mr. Roth says:

I used to do drugs.

I still do. But I used to, too.

And since when did being a Christian and doing drugs become mutually exclusive of one another?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

So am I. I’ve done plenty.

(Although not in about 15 years)

• Robinson Tilapia says:

How about this: It might have looked different, with absolutely zero guarantee that it’d be any better.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I take back Gardner and Martin still being on the team, our farm system would have been raped for parts and we’d have Mauer and would have given a guaranteed contract to Sizemore because as often as the boss struck gold and overpaid for guys like Reggie he also signed ridiculous players to ridiculous contracts. Also, fill in one of the SP spots I left blank with Ubaldo.

• Scott says:

“I just won you the pennant!” Steinbrenner told Lou Piniella once. “I got you Steve Trout!”

Right, George Steinbrenner surely would’ve signed as FAs only the 3 most successful recent international players – not a bunch of washed-up duds like George usually did.

You know who’s the most like a George pickup (like Steve Trout, Ken Phelps, Dave LaPoint…)? Wells or Ichiro.

5. D23 says:

I apologized if this has been recently discussed but what is the latest on the Yankee’s second pick in Aaron Judge. One report had him very interested in signing within the week after the Draft to he is requesting $2M in order to not return to school? What is really the hold up?

6. forensic says:

Anyone else getting a ‘Too many login failures, you are temporarily blocked’ error when trying to sign in so it remembers your handle?

Also, was the fan confidence poll in a different form today?

I just did a java update, so for now I’m just going to blame that for everything…

• Darren says:

I’ve been having trouble logging in and even just gettin’ on the site since last night. Reid Brignac is in charge of tech support.

7. Dan says:

Will Myers just crushed a shot to CF. I wonder if KC regrets that trade yet.

8. Hall and Nokes says:

Myers has such effortless power.

9. Ethan says:

I was surfing the web and came across this cool website and figured I’d share it. I love watching good documentaries and this one is packed with them.

10. Pink Slime says:

Fantasy trade help please, should I trade Cespedes for Hanley? Or should I just hold on to Yoenis?

• jjyank says:

It depends on your roster constructions, but I’d hold on to Cespedes, personally. Maybe I’m just biased for being burned for having Hanley on my fantasy team last year, though.

• Pink Slime says:

If you don’t mind me telling you , my outfielders are trout,cespedes,gardner,bourn,choo and will Myers. While the left side of my infield is hardy,andrus,beltre and rendon. I appreciate your responses thank you

• forensic says:

Unless you’re really hurting for SS or 3B (assuming he has both eligibilities in your league), I’m not sure I would trust Hanley to stay healthy and continue producing.

11. forensic says:

Why do announcers insist on talking about things that they clearly don’t know anything about?

Gary Thorne apparently thinks that “The walks help pile up total bases.”

Can’t even get a stat as simple as total bases figured out right.

12. Zoilo sube almonte says:

What’s up with Verlander dude is everywhere!!

13. Jersey Joe says:

I was recently offered the following trade:

I get Cespedes, other team gets Matt Cain.

Do I accept?

14. D23 says:

Minor League Update:
    Mason Williams slowly warming up, tripled and is up to .252.

Gary Sanchez hit a 2 run HR (11) and now has 47 RBIs.

17 year old Luis Torrens our big International FA pickup homered today and is 5-10 in his first 3 games of his first professional career.

Jairo Heredia, 24 year old former top prospect is recovery from shoulder surgery goes 4 1/3 with 7 Ks at SI tonight.

Tyler Austin 2-2 thus far tonight and up to .272.

Keep your eye on Andrew Clark, 24 year old lefty hitter the Yankees recently picked up from Independent League. Worth a gamble and who knows, may be a late bloomer, lightning in the bottle type guy.

• D23 says:

My apologies, Clark will soon turn 26 but interesting type player, and remember seeing him couple of games on Big East games.

• Bo Knows says:

Austin has improved every Month since the season started, which is very good, it shows he’s adjusting. Also Something interesting I just noticed, his home/away splits are massive, I mean stupid large.

home stats: 32 games .238 avg 324 obp .635 ops
      away stats: 34 games .292 avg .392 obp .851 ops

15. D23 says:

Mike, what your thoughts on JR Murphy catching skills. He looked good in some ST games and it has been reported that he may be our best defensive catcher behind Romine? Thoughts?

• JobaWockeeZ says:

I don’t think Romine has ever been our top defensive catcher. His defense has always been overrated because he was pegged the “catcher of the future” that can stick behind the plate. The reports said he was average or solid behind the dish but it was never a strong point.

Kyle Higashioka has been our top defensive catcher in the system.

• vicki says:

so you’re saying murphy is a worse hitter than romine.

/nicholslaw’d

16. Eddard says:

The biggest thing the offseason does is gives us our best chance to yank Phil Hughes out of the rotation. Set up Hiroki, Andy and BGDP against Texas. CC and Nova to pitch the first 2 in Baltimore. You don’t want Hughes pitching against Texas and Baltimore, 2 good HR hitting teams. Chris Davis might hit 60 HRs this year and 10 of those would be off Phil Hughes.

• Eddard says:

I meant off day, not offseason. Hughes to the pen.

• Big Member says:

why do you want Hughes out of the rotation so much? The kid is young and has tremendous potential. He won 16 games last year and 18 a year before. Hughes is a gamer he knows what it takes to win ballgames it doesnt really work in the bullpen where the mentality is to get a save.

• Dan says:

I’ve never heard him described as a gamer. I’ve heard him described as the exact opposite countless times though. Like when he doesn’t have his best stuff he just throws in the towel even if that happens to be in the 1st inning.

• Dan says:

Since we supposedly can’t get anything for Hughes, and he’s not coming back next year, might as well use him the way that’s best for the team right now. And that is in the bullpen. I’d rather have Nova in there anyway.

• Eddard says:

Couldn’t agree more, Dan. If Hughes can ramp it up for one or two innings we’ll have 7-8-9 locked down and it will eliminate some of the reliance on the unreliable Joba and Logan.

17. Dan says:

I picked Adam Lind to get a hit on mlb.com BTS. This is upsetting. One more AB. Does anyone else play that?

18. Darren says:

The Yankees should sign Boomer Wells as the lefty out of the pen.

19. Kramerica Industries says:

Wow, Swisher has been absolutely terrible this season.

.236/.336/.395/.731

• Hardy says:

Athough clearly worse than prior years, that`s still enough for a wRC+ of 105, 31 points higher than Ichiro Suzuki.

20. Bob Buttons says:

What our roster would be like if George was alive (currently injured players are excluded)

C AJ Pierzynski
    1B Albert Pujols
    2B Robinson Cano
    3B Alex Rodriguez
    SS Stephen Drew (would be Reyes in a few days)
    LF Josh Hamilton
    CF Curtis Granderson
    RF Swisher the Warrior
    DH Prince Fielder

Bench
    OF Carlos Beltran
    IF Michael Young (traded away Gary Sanchez and Robertson under orders from the boss)
    C Another warrior type.

SP CC Sabathia
    SP CJ Wilson
    SP Anibal Sanchez
    SP Mark Buehrle
    SP Yu Darvish
    CL Mariano Rivera
    RP Rafael Soriano
    RP Joe Nathan
    RP Rafael Betancourt (we traded away JR Murphy, Adams and Flores)
    RP Francisco Rodriguez (signed him after the partial season in Milwaukee)
    RP some expensive guy
    RP some other expensive guy

manager: Jim Riggleman (Joe Girardi got canned at the same time as Cashman, while his replacement Don Mattingly [yes, we traded prospects for him] got canned alongside Oppenheimer)
    GM: Billy Eppler (Cashman and Oppenheimer got canned already after three years without WS win)

I’m too lazy to get into the religion/hindsight argument above but this is a semi-shot at the original idea posted earlier tonight.

• Dalek Jeter says:

This looks accurate. And I wouldn’t mind this team one bit. Prince is a beast, Robinson is still having a great year, Pujols is a shell of himself but is still relatively productive, AJ is a dick but a good offensive catcher, and I think Swish and Grandy would help cover for the fact that Hamilton has forgotten how to hit a baseball. As for the pitching, Darvish and Sanchez would help cover up Wilson and CC’s mediocrity this season, and Buehrle would be what Hughes is to the RL time…a passable but pretty terrible 5th starter. I don’t like that we traded Sanchez for Micheal Fuckin Young, but that is absolutely a George type move.

21. The Real Greg says:

With 1:17 to go, the Bruins had a 2-1 lead. Chicago then scored 2 goals 17 seconds apart to win the Stanley Cup

• Pat D says:

Hopefully this continues the extremely painful championship loss trend for Boston that Super Bowl 42 and Super Bowl 46 began.

• Pat D says:

This just made me realize that the best possible outcome for the World Series this year, other than the Yankees winning it, would be the Pirates beating the Red Sox.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

After the whole 04′ debacle it would be nice to start a new streak of Boston suckiness.

I remember a similar thing happening to the Devils a few years ago (maybe three?). A minute twenty left in game 7 of Round 1, Devils lead by a goal, and the Hurricanes score two goals to win the game without so much as an OT.

• Kramerica Industries says:

2009 vs. Carolina, yes. Devils melted down on home ice and the ‘Canes won Game 7 and the series.

I’m not sure if Pat will see this, given this late hour of posting, but what do you mean with the Pirates, by chance? Is it a Joel Hanrahan thing? Pirates not having a winning season since 1992 (or ’93?) thing? Pittsburgh/Boston? I’m a fair bit perplexed.

• Pat D says:

I’m not sure if you’ll see this, but it’s because of Pittsburgh’s extended run of futility. If they somehow made the World Series against Boston, no one would give them a realistic chance. So for Pittsburgh to beat Boston, it would likely drive the people in Boston borderline insane.

The Red Sox deserve to lose a Series after the two cakewalks they had in ’04 and ’07.

22. Hall and Nokes says:

The Hawks have now won the Cup in Philly and Boston this decade, and it’s hard to say anything bad about that.

23. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

2 weeks, three days to Godspell. Right now I’m going through various cast albums and performances on Youtube. I have no idea how I feel right now.

24. forensic says:

Another blown save for Papelbon. That’s 4 of his last 5 chances. Love it!

25. vicki says:

schoenfield over at espn put ggbg on a list of unsung all-star candidates. it’s gaining currency. #GoVoteGritner

• Tom says:

Certainly better than Adam “because I’m athletic people don’t realize I’m terrible defensively” Jones and Nick “I’m edging Ichiro Suzuki by 0.2 fWAR” Markakis.

I know the defensive #’s in WAR can be squirrelly… but think about that for a second – the 3rd leading all star OF vote-getter has 0.2 fWAR more than Ichiro (0.7 vs 0.5)