Jun

Olney: Cubs are ready to sell

12:59pm: Olney says the Cubs have already started exchanging names with other teams about their players, just to give you can idea of where they sit in the process. Doesn’t seem like they’re going to wait until the deadline to start dealing players.

12:00pm: Via Buster Olney (subs. req’d): Rival evaluators say the Cubs are “open for business” and ready to sell off pieces in advance of the trade deadline. Chicago is 29-42 with a -21 run differential, the fourth worst record and ninth worst run differential in baseball. Based on their situation and what the Theo Epstein-led regime has done since taking over, it’s safe to say they’ll be looking for prospects in any trade.

Olney says the Cubbies are “prepared to move” outfielder Nate Schierholtz, who received a contract offer from the Yankees this offseason and is hitting .288/.338/.545 (136 wRC+) in 208 plate appearances on the season. He’d be a fantastic fit for New York, just as he would have been over the winter. Alfonso Soriano, the currently-injured David DeJesus, various starting pitchers, and a bevy of relievers are said to be among the other available Cubs. Obviously adding offense is priorities number one, two, and three for the Yankees.

Categories : Asides, Trade Deadline

1. TheOneWhoKnocks says:

Very sad that I’m legit excited about potentially getting Schierholtz. In the offseason I thought he would be a decent pickup but didn’t see him as a full timer.
    Right now? he’d be our cleanup hitter.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I was thinking more along the lines of “He’d have cost you just money then, but they may ask for Tyler Austin now.”

I don’t care who it is. I don’t want the team doing something dumb in the long term in order to make me feel warm and fuzzy about the short term.

• MannyGeee says:

Welcome to the vast minority, Mr Fish Named guy…

• Dr. TJ Eckelberg says:

I think we’d all rather have had him for only money, but he decided to go to the Cubs for playing time.

I totally agree, though. There isn’t a name on that list I would be willing to part with anything but a B prospect for.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Of course, and this all hindsight. Real easy to say “WE WOULDA NEVAH WOUND UP WIT TEH WELLZ” now.

But, in complete and utter hindsight, I would have greased Nate’s palms more and brought Chavez back for less money than Youk.

I sincerely doubt they’d take, say, a Nik Turley, and that may be as high as I go.

• Crime Dog says:

Can’t imagine that one of the Yankees top prospects would be in play for Schierholtz. I would imagine it would be more along the lines of a B prospect.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Maybe. I’m actually not as optimistic for the moment. I could be talked out of it.

Also, REPEAT CHAMPS, BITCHES. Hadn’t had a chance to brag on here yet.

Ahhh….this will make baseball go down so much more easily the rest of the season.

• entonces says:

Almost nothing could make me feel warm and fuzzy about this year’s team.

• trr says:

ain’t that the shit?

• Dweezil says:

To be fair, this was a little unexpected. His OPS+ is 137 this year, bringing his career OPS+ to 102. He was perfectly average before now.

2. Frank says:

If the Yankees were more focused on production than name recognition they wouldn’t need to trade for Shierholtz. Ichiro and Wells have the names but my goodness are they lacking in the production department. I’m not say NS would have made this team unbeatable but he would have produced at a reasonable rate over a one year tiny contract. Now he will cost a solid prospect. Bad management.

3. Bavarian Yankee says:

meh, Schierholtz is the only guy that is decent. I wouldn’t give up a top 15 prospect though. Right now I’m not even sure if I’d trade for Castro (and yes, I know it’s not likely that they trade him).

4. MannyGeee says:

“Reunite with teh Sorianose” in 3……2……

But srsly, I can get behind a Scheirholtz acquisition (although, it would have been pretty dope to get him 3 months ago when it didn’t cost anything other than money, but I digress…)

• trr says:

well, hindsight is always 20/20, but yeah…
      let’s move forward now and see if we can make this happen sooner rather than later

• Robinson Tilapia says:

What would you give up?

Do you think they’ll ask for one of our top guys? I think they would try and start there. I wouldn’t do that, but I don’t think you’d get by with giving them a non-prospect. It might hurt now more than you think.

• trr says:

I guess we’d have to debate who a “top prospect” would be…could we do it for Almonte? Neal? Neal AND Almonte?

My answer would be pass on NS if the asking price is too high.
        What we really need is another RH bat. (ot two) And no, I don’t mean Soriano bu, goddam, at this point alnost anyone looks good compared to what we have

5. MannyGeee says:

Also, how about the Boy Wonder still floundering in Chicago… remember when he was the savior?

• I'm not the droids you're looking for... says:

Ummm wha? It’s not like it was a closely guarded state secret that the Cubs were a long term reclamation project when he got there. Pretty clear it was going to take a while. If anything, snagging a guy like NS who he can now flip for a potentially useful prospect shows that everything is going according to plan. The fact that he may also be able to get rid of more albatrosses like Soriano even moreso.

• MannyGeee says:

Not disagreeing, but a long term project assumes that a team makes *some* forward motion incrementally. They’ve done very little towards the end goal so far.

For example, NOW is the time to sell on Soriano, but last year was the time to sell off Garza when he could have brought value back. Now he’s a pure rental, which won’t net a return.

• LK says:

I don’t think Theo’s been perfect in Chicago, but they were never going to come close to contending this season. Their 2013 record is pretty irrelevant. I think 2015 is when we can really start to evaluate the re-build.

• The Doctor says:

They went from having baseball’s #20 farm system to #11 in the course of one year. Theo signed Maholm for one year and turned him into Arodys Vizcaino. I’d say those are pretty decent moves for his first year on the job. His goal this year seems to have been signing a bunch of guys to one year deals and moving them for prospects at the deadline. Without any huge pieces to move for a haul in the middle of a rebuild (except maybe Castro, who they likely want to rebuild around and hope he develops more as a player), it’s a pretty good strategy that worked last year.

• Evan3457 says:

The Cubs happen to be assembling multiple extreme high-ceiling prospects in the lower levels of their organization as we speak.

• entonces says:

One reason Boy Wonder has floundered is that other GMs realize his trade demands are often outrageous. Typically looks to get something for nothing. Worked in Boston for awhile– especially when some teamss liked sticking it to Yanks. But that game doesn’t work in NL. Yanks have plenty of trade pieces but as others have said no way I give Top 15 prospect for NS.

6. Scott says:

Would be a good move BUT likely worth only 1 win. Schierholtz is having a nice yr so far but has typically been <1 WAR as a half-time player; even assuming he's 2 WAR this year, a half-season left means he'd add 1 win.

Just saying the Yanks need like 3 additions like this to really gain a few wins: 2 at some mix of OF/1B (with the 1B perhaps just a righty platooner to replace Overbay's 500s OPS vs LHP); 1 at 3B or SS.

• The Doctor says:

If this stats becoming a one prospect per one marginal upgrade thing, I think it might make sense to just add a guy like Schierholtz and see what happens. I don’t want to jeopardize the future entirely just to add a few wins this season.

7. Mandy Stankiewicz says:

Sori was great when he was here, but can we please move on from acquiring these types of players. I guess if he just costs us cash, fine, whatever. We have a logjam of identical, overpaid, over the hill players who can only hit from one side of the plate and play marginal defense.

8. Nick says:

Trade for Schierholtz and cut wells. pretty simple move that the Yankees are likely to inexplicably not do. Just like acquiring one of the several Catchers who would be upgrades over romine right now.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

They’re not going to pay the rest of what they owe Wells to go play somewhere else just yet. I’d be shocked if that happened this season.

Go ahead and not like the trade, but we probably can’t snap our (fish) fingers and make it disappear.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I’m not so sure they’d be paying him to play somewhere else as much as they’d be paying him to “spend more time with his family.”

• Robinson Tilapia says:

If the Yanks are on the hook for the pay, someone will take a flyer and, by “someone,” I mean the Marlins, of course.

9. Kosmo says:

Schierholtz would be a platoon player otherwise might be an OK fit.

I agree with Scott, 3b and SS are pressing needs with a platoon bat at 1B. Gaby Sanchez ?

and also a C who can hit a little.

10. Dalek Jeter says:

I’m sure he’s not available, but buying low on Starlin Castro would be a CashNinja type move.

• Kosmo says:

You´re probably right but Castro does have about 50 million/6 yrs left on his current contract and with Baez due in 2015 the Cubs might be willing …

11. Dr. Gregory Stevenson DDS says:

The biggest concern that i think the Yankees need to address is an Impact OF bat. Without Granderson in the lineup no one is protecting Cano like they should be.

Secondly I’d say 3B, with the uncertainty of Arod’s future and Youk on the DL this needs to happen with almost as much necessity as an OFer.

I’m okay with Nix at SS till Jeter gets back, so i don’t think we need to empty the farm to fill all 3 positions.

Another fix I would implement is do something with Hughes when Pineda is ready, perhaps a move to the bullpen again, or flat out trade him. He is not doing us any favors getting rocked every 5 days.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I do wonder how much the Yankees feel they are addressing 3B in the somewhat-long-term via drafting a high-floor-potentially-fast-rising 3B prospect. If 2015 is within the not-extreme realm of possibility for Jaeglio, does it change what you do in the short-term?

• mitch says:

Definitely something to consider, but 2015 is a while away. I think it makes them less likely to make a huge move for someone like Headley, but realistically any 3B move is going to be a short term fix anyway

• Kosmo says:

Arod could be facing a 100 game suspension beginning in 2014. So maybe we´ll see him for a total of 100 games in 2013-14.

My vote would be for picking up Michael Young to play 3B. He´ll have about 3 million owed. Bat him 2nd .

• I'm One (Because typing all the letters in "The Real Me" is becoming tiresome and might get me confused with "The Real Greg" which is why I dropped the handle originally) says:

For me, the Rise of teh Jagielo makes little difference in how’d I’d approach handling 3B at this point in the season. I’d be looking for someone under contract through 2014, perhaps 2015 and nothing more (obviously a RH batter with some power. Now go out and find that player, Cash!). If he turns out to be a good value, you can keep him on, allowing teh Jagielo to further his development.

12. mitch says:

Not at all against trading for Nate, but he’s a platoon lefty. I wouldn’t put that high on the priority list. If you’re giving up something decent for an OF, it has to be someone who can hit lefties. That’s a position of need now and will still be a position of need even if a couple guys get healthy.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I’m with mitch, while Nate would prove to be useful and could possibly push Wells to the shorter end of a platoon, I would much rather them go after a guy who could make our lineup look a little less replacement level against LHP. (No idea who that may be, but there has to be at least one player available at/before the deadline who can play at least one of LF, RF, 3B, SS, 1B, or C who can hit lefties at least a league average level.)

• FIPster Doofus says:

The Yankees have the fifth-worst wRC+ in MLB against RHPs. Their awful offense doesn’t discriminate based on handedness of the pitcher. Plus, I always love the idea of a lefty-swinging righty masher combined with the short porch.

13. Jacob the OG says:

Hey fellas is anyone else going to the game tonight?

14. Julio L. Velazquez says:

How about taking a chance on Manny Ramirez. He batted .352 with eight homers and 43 RBIs in 49 games in Taiwan. He said he left there because he misses his family who live in New York.

15. Dave says:

Why not trade for all 3. Stewart C, Overbay 1B, Cano 2B, Adams 3B, Nix SS, Schierholtz RF, Gardner CF, Ichiro LF, Soriano DH, Romine, Gonzalez, Wells, Hafner off the bench. When DeJesus comes back next month, bye bye Hafner unless someone else is hurt.

16. Chasing Headley says:

The Cubs really have no long term impact players or guys I see with a future in the Bronx unless they’re willing to trade Rizzo or Castro. Sure a guy like Soriano might be good for a half season, but the Yankees need players that are both YOUNG and TALENTED… Not one or the other. Pass please!