Jun

Thoughts following Monday’s off-day

(Al Bello/Getty)

(Al Bello/Getty)

Yesterday was the second of three consecutive Monday off-days for the Yankees, and it couldn’t have come at a better time. The West Coast road trip was a nightmare and everyone needed a day away from baseball, fans included. At least I did, I don’t know about you. Here are some random thoughts:

1. It seems likely that Mark Teixeira will be placed on the DL today — Brian Cashman strongly hinted at it yesterday — but I have no idea what the corresponding roster move will be. Zoilo Almonte is only player in Triple-A who is both a) on the 40-man roster, and b) healthy. He’s been good this year but not great, and replacing an infielder with an outfielder doesn’t make a ton of sense given the current roster. I wonder if they’ll use Teixeira’s injury to recall Adam Warren before his ten-day waiting period is up, then designate Chris Bootcheck for assignment in favor of Josh Bell or Dan Johnson. Both have some big league experience and can play the corner infield spots (play as in stand there and hope the ball doesn’t get hit to them), which might be enough to land them on the roster. It’s a really bad time for Ronnie Mustelier, Corban Joseph, and Brennan Boesch to be on the Triple-A DL.

2. Unless he looks completely overwhelming over the next few weeks, I’m pretty sure the Yankees will send Michael Pineda to Triple-A once his rehab assignment is up on July 8th. That could obviously change if the big league rotation goes in the dump via injury or ineffectiveness. Sending him down for two or three weeks to “buy back” the year of team control they lost last year due to the injury makes too much sense not to happen. Remember, Pineda is an big time fly ball pitcher (36.3% grounders in 2011) and there were questions about how he’d fit in Yankee Stadium even before the injury. As bad as Phil Hughes has been at times — he’s really got a Good Phil/Bad Phil thing going on this year, he’s either dynamite or a disaster — I don’t think the two-pitch, fly ball guy coming off major shoulder surgery is a lock to pitch any better down the stretch.

(Presswire)

(Presswire)

3. Now that I’ve had some time to sit back and digest everything, I really like what the Yankees did with their three first round draft picks two weeks ago. That’s assuming Fresno State OF Aaron Judge is willing to let the team make him a millionaire at some point soon. Eric Jagielo is, by far, the most polished potential impact hitter the team has added to the farm system in years. This isn’t a project hitter with a big loop in his swing or someone who can’t recognize breaking balls, all he lacks is overall experience. Judge offers that big upside while Ian Clarkin gives them a much-needed top left-handed pitching prospect. I am big on high school pitchers and tend to overrate them, but lefties who sit in the low-90s with an out pitch curveball usually don’t make to the 33rd pick of the draft. The Yankees added a nice mix of polish and upside with those three picks, and that’s exactly what they needed. I’m looking forward to seeing all three start their careers in the coming weeks.

4. The Yankees need more out of Robinson Cano than they’ve been getting. Based on Twitter, the comments, and my email, I’m not the only one who feels this way. Not by a long shot. Cano is hitting a very good .278/.350/.511 (129 wRC+) this year, but that’s down from .311/.370/.539 (142 wRC+) from 2010-2012. That’s the guy they need, the undisputed best second baseman in the world. I’m also rather concerned about his sudden inability to hit left-handed pitchers: .218/.283/.366 (71 wRC+) this year, .239/.309/.377 (78 wRC+) last year, .314/.354/.525 (134 wRC+) in 2011, and .300/.343/.475 (116 wRC+) from 2005-2011. I fully expect the Yankees to re-sign him to some massive contract at some point in the next five or six months, but that platoon split is terrifying. Impatient contact-oriented hitters like Cano tend to suddenly fall off a cliff as it is, so just imagine adding a big platoon split to that. I’ll worry about that when the time comes. For now I’m just going to be greedy and hope Robbie gets back to his 2010-2012 self and soon.

Categories : Musings

1. mitch says:

Cano is playing like a guy worth every bit of a monstrous $120 million contract

2. Bob Buttons says:

Can someone explains injury and how it affects 10 day waiting period? Thanks.

• Pat D says:

If a guy gets sent to the minors, he has to wait 10 days before being recalled.

However, if a guy is placed on the major league DL, they can recall the player in the minors before the 10 day period is up.

• Bob Buttons says:

Ah thanks I can rarely remember about either point since there usually aren’t that many shuffles of notable names over the season.

3. Bo Knows says:

Pineda’s gb rate also increased in the second half to a more respectable 43% and he actually showed a ton of progress with the changeup, far more than other pitcher in the rotation.

I honestly would trust the “two-pitch, flyball guy” over the one pitch flyball guy, not necessarily to stay healthy but to be effective? I sure would.

4. Kingslayer says:

Mike, I am a huge Yankees fan, and I respect Cano, but aren’t we going a bit to far calling him the “best second baseman in the world”. I personally think he is overrated.

• Mike Axisa says:

Cano was, by far, the best second baseman in baseball from 2010-2012. The gap between him and number two was about the size of the gap between number two and number six.

• JohnnyC says:

What you personally think is overrated. By you.

• jjyank says:

Well, he is. He’s not hitting like it at the moment, but for the last several years, it’s not even close.

• Freddy's Dead says:

Calling someone “the best” is sometimes easy and clear: I don’t think many disagreed that Miguel Cabrera was the best offensive player in the AL last season. The numbers are hard to refute. But it’s not always that clear and I think something people respond to in Cano is what I’ll call aesthetics: he just looks so damn good out there, and you always know he can do something special, even when he’s in a slump. He may indeed be overrated, but also there’s little doubt he deserves a very high esteem. In my opinion, of course.

• jsbrendog says:

yeah except no. cause last eyar a case could be made for Trout as well, he had a higher ops + by 4 points than Miggy and a whole point higher in bWar, (8.8 for trout and 7.8 for miggy)

so miggy wasn’t exactly the best offensive player in the AL. Statistically. Cano has been the best 2b. statistically. but cool brah, whatever helps you sleep at night.

• Freddy's Dead says:

I said “I don’t think many disagreed,” and I am not a stats freak, OK? Jesus, get your fucking panties on straight. If you “sleep at night” secure that your belief in bWar makes you correct, good for you. I disagree. I believe there are things that aren’t measurable, and that stats can still mislead, no matter how sophisticated they get.

• jsbrendog says:

so you see it with your own eyes?

• jjyank says:

So you don’t think Cano is the best 2B out there? I’m curious why, since you don’t want to use statistics.

Can stats be misleading? Of course. But when pretty much all of them point to the same conclusion, I’m not sure how you can argue otherwise.

• JCK says:

I’m more curious who he thinks is better.

• Jim Is Bored says:

That dirtbag DAHSTIN PEDROIAH.

Was at an O’s-Sox game last thursday and sat in front of a saaawx fan who was shouting “PETEYYYY!” all game.

• MannyGeee says:

I am surrounded by them. They are the worst kind of people. Seriously, no exceptions. Obnoxious Sawx fans are the WORST kind of people….

IN my opinion, of course.

• jjyank says:

I went to undergrad within Red Sox Nation. Trust me, I know.

Though I do have plenty of friends who are Sox fans. But I rip on them whenever I can about the Sox. Which has been easy for the last few years.

• Pat D says:

Bah! You went to the ultimate safety-safety school.

Or something like that. I can’t fully remember. It was the rambling of a seriously addled and stalkerish mind.

• Jim Is Bored says:

To be fair, obnoxious bandwagon yankee fans aren’t in a much higher “WORST” bracket.

• The Doctor says:

Your point is still entirely wrong. Many people DO buy into stats which were scientifically designed to tell you who the best player is, and virtually all those people believed that Trout was the better player last season. Even if you don’t believe in stats (which is foolish considering in recent years they have proved invaluable in player evaluation), your point was that no one disagreed, when in fact many, many do.

Stop being so sensitive, it’s the freaking Internet.

5. Eddard says:

Warren should be on the MLB roster. He deserves it for how well he’s pitched this year. We know he can go 6 innings so I might even switch him and Phil until Pineda is ready to return.

They should regain the year of control for Pineda and then immediately call him up and trade Phil Hughes. They have Warren, Nuno and Nova if they need a spot start.

If they’re going to pitch to Robbie he needs to make them pay. If I was opposing teams I wouldn’t pitch to him. Late in games I’d pitch around Gardner and Cano and attack Nix, Hafner, Overbay and Wells.

• Jim Is Bored says:

In what world will we get a useful piece for Phil Hughes? Keep him around, let him take the 5th starter spot, get some starts for when Pettitte gets hurt, or Kuroda needs a rest. We need the depth. We always need pitching depth.

Your weird obsession with trading Hughes is nonsense.

• jsbrendog says:

for the 10000000th time. phil hughes is not a good pitcher. he has zero value. he has not been league average for a couple years and his only good season was when he was in the BP. and he is a pending free agent. no one will give you anything more than a fringe prospect or a bullpen arm.

phil hughes value to the yankees >>>>>>>>> phil hughes value to anyone else.

• jjyank says:

I like Phil Hughes the pitcher more than you seem to, but I agree otherwise. His value is greater to the Yankees than it is in a trade.

What I find funny about all this, is that the only people that want to trade Hughes thinks he sucks. Well, riddle me this, Eddard: If Hughes sucks so bad, what are you getting in return that’s even remotely useful?

• jsbrendog says:

well personally i like phil hughes the pitcher. but statistically you can’t disagree, sadly.

ERA+

Billy Loes (958)
          Wade Miller (956)
          Ricky Nolasco (956)
          Joel Pineiro (956)
          Chan Ho Park (953)
          Jeff Francis (952)

not exactly ringing endorsements…

• jjyank says:

No, the overall stats don’t look great, I’m not arguing that. The point of all of this is that I don’t think trading Hughes is worth it.

• MannyGeee says:

In fairness… Lackey/Lima/Nolasco through age 26 is not bad company to be in. They’re not in the elite category, but not horrible…

• wsa says:

Exactly. Piniero, Park, Francis, and even Miller all had some value at some point in their careers as well.

Hughes absolutely does have value. Not as much as some fans think, no doubt. Fans always overvalue their own players. However, jsbrendog has decided to react by going to the opposite extreme and claiming that Hughes has no value. This is about equally untrue. He has got some value and actually might have more value to another team than the Yankees since where he has actually been killed the most this season is by LHH at home.

• mitch says:

How can you say Hughes has zero value? Unless he gets hurt, it’s almost a guarantee that some team will give him $50mil+ next off season. He’s a league average pitcher and there are plenty of teams that could use one of those. They could definitely get a solid prospect or a decent position player that could help out this year.

• Jim Is Bored says:

“He’s a league average pitcher”

Not true anymore.

119 era- and 112 fip-
          (100 is average, below is better, above is worse).

He was close to average last year, and even worse than this year the year before.

• wsa says:

Check out his home/roads, though. He has been a league average-ish P on the road this season (and has more IP on the road). He especially gets killed by LHH at home which could be a Yankee Stadium specific problem. At home against LHH he is giving up a .433 wOBA v. a .326 wOBA to LHH away. Overall his ERA is 6.52 at home and 3.73 on the road.

It is a small sample and his ERA was a point lower at home in 2012. There is some evidence, though, that he would be a better P for another organization even relative to average in their ballpark. And believe me that I have been leading the Ps don’t become more valuable in bigger park parade. But upon further inspection a guy prone to long flies from LHH might be especially poorly suited for Yankee Stadium.

• Jim Is Bored says:

You’re right on all those points.

I just think that most ML teams realize the value disparity too(between small/large parks) and so the Padres realize they can be successful with a larger range of pitchers than a team like the Yankees can. Thus, his trade value is adjusted down for a team like that.

• wsa says:

I totally agree. However, there is a chance that Hughes’ game is especially poorly suited to Yankee Stadium with the short porch in RF. Not just any small park. I guess that looking at spray charts would help determine if this is the case.

If this is the case, and it may not be since he is also HR prone to RHH (just not as much this season), then Hughes might be better than another P in another park and worse than that same P in Yankee Stadium.

At the least I do think that his career and season numbers might not be representative of his actual trade value because he stinks at home. So while his trade value might be adjusted down for the Padres it is probably adjusted up for a league average ballpark vs. Yankee stadium.

• Jim Is Bored says:

Agreed, I just wonder what the actual “value” here is.

Platoon guy? 4th OF? Middle reliever? Maybe a 3rd OF?

• wsa says:

Yeah, I have no idea. Most upside probably comes through prospects. Not sure if the Yankees will go that route unless they absolutely love a prospect, though. Could do a change of scenery trade with an underachiever from another team. The most value might come from a rental that fits their roster better or a slightly worse player who is cheap beyond this season.

• jsbrendog says:

see above. phil hughes is barely a league average pitcher. you are being generous. a pending free agent who is barely league average, homer prone, and lacking an out pitch is worth nothing in trade to another team. as i said most you will get is a fringe prospect or a BP arm. he is worth more to the yankees soaking up innings than he is to anyone else.

is it possible some idiot trades carlos santana esque players for mark derosa (hughes in this situation)? sure, but extremely unlikely.

I LOVE Hughes and have from day one, but honestly, can we stop over valuing him because of his prospect past?

• mitch says:

a barely league average pitcher with a cheap contract is worth more than a fringe prospect

• jjyank says:

He’s making $7.1 mil this year and will be a FA at the end of the year. It’s not like he’s making peanuts and under team control for a couple years.

• jsbrendog says:

yeah, you just proved my point. his value to the yankees is more than anyone else and no one is going to give up more than a fringe prospect.

• mitch says:

Those two things are mutually exclusive. I agree that he’s worth more to the Yankees than to anyone else. I wasn’t the one who suggested moving Hughes in the first place. My only point was that half a season of a league average pitcher @ $3 million has value. He would fetch more than a fringe prospect.

• jsbrendog says:

he is not a league average pitcher.

• mitch says:

you can build all the straw men you want, but my point remains that Hughes has more value than a fringe prospect.

• Jim Is Bored says:

You haven’t given any data to backup your opinion.

If it’s just a feeling, a personal opinion based on nothing, that’s fine. You’re free to believe it.

But we can’t build straw men because you haven’t presented an argument.

• jsbrendog says:

uhm, straw man? I showed proof to back up the FACT that he is not a league average pitcher over all, although he has, so far this year, barely been one. so you say facts are straw men?

• MannyGeee says:

IN your opinion, of course…

• nycsportzfan says:

His full body of work is very mediocre at best. His numbers look better overall because of that starling ERA outta the pen that one yr as well. The guys never even had a sub 4.00 ERA outside of that one season in the pen for godsake. I mean, who would want a guy who hasen’t even had a sub 4 ERA in his 20′s, when his next contract is gonna probably run into his 30′s? I doubt hes gonna get better from here on out. I’d let em walk pesonally, unless he comes dirt cheap. He has shown no consistency in his career.

• wsa says:

Check the home/roads, though. He gets absolutely lit up by LHH at home and really just in general at home. Might be worth more to another team than the Yankees, which does make him a potential trade candidate. Even if the Yankees just traded him straight up for a LHP or RH groundball P making the same amount then becoming a free agent it might be a move that benefits them (not to say a player fitting that description is necessarily available).
            Of course it is a small sample and he had the reverse overall ERA split last season.

• Freddy's Dead says:

I must point out that the overbearing opinions, masquerading as obvious fact (“Duh! how could you be so stupid as to think anyone would want Hughes!) seem far less secure in light of what happened with Burnett. OK, OK, I know, we hadda take a big money hit w the latter, but (though I’m far from an expert on baseball contracts and salary issues w respect to trades) I wouldn’t be at all shocked to learn that there are a few teams who’d consider Hughes a nice addition, perhaps to their pen. Nor would I be surprised in the least if he moved and did well.

• jsbrendog says:

aj burnett was a much better pitcher than phil hughes. and has an out pitch. and wasn’t a pending free agent. and had a track record of success.

the point is, and has been all along, that trading phil hughes makes no sense because his value to the yankees is higher than anything they would get in return and a team will most likely not trade anything but a fringe prospect or a bullpen arm for a pending free agent who has been league average or FAR below for 3 years now, has no out pitch, and no prior track record of success. unless they are a poorly run front office.

• Jim Is Bored says:

No one is saying we couldn’t move him. The debate is for what kind of piece.

• MannyGeee says:

And the answer to that is… “a piece of shit”

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’ll go there.

I’ll say he’ll net you more than Burnett did because of age and contract. However, he’s not going to net you anything that, like everyone said, is worth more to the Yankees than he is.

QO and take the pick. He wants to sign for a year, I’m willing to deal with him for another season, even at 13 mil.

6. Eddard says:

And if Cano is going to play like this I wouldn’t offer him anything more than the 5/$125m that Josh Hamilton got. If this is his new peak it’s only going to get worse as he gets older and even slower.

You do not hand out these 8-10 year deals anymore unless you’re smart like Cinci was with Votto and Detroit was with Verlander and you get them locked up at 27-28 years old. Then you’re at least getting 5-6 prime years in the contract.

• mitch says:

Votto is almost 30 and his 10 year extension hasn’t even started yet. I think it’s premature to call that a smart move.

• Bob Buttons says:

Votto may be a special breed in his lack of IF pop flies. Then again we see what’s happening with Pujols.

• Crime Dog says:

I would think more of a 6/145 with some sort of option is gonna happen. Maybe a little less money and some sort of option. I really think he can stay at 2B basically throughout a large contract like that.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

We’ll see, Eddard. We’ll see.

7. trr says:

It’s been mentioned many times, but yes, Cano is a huge concern, especially going forward. Then again, we’ve all seen his ability to transform into Stan Musial for a month. I’d say now would be a good time for him to go on that sort of run?

8. DERP says:

Travis Ishikawa might be available soon. The Orioles called him up since Miguel Gonzalez went on paternity leave, but they will probably dump him once Gonzalez returns. They could keep him over CHRIS DICKERSON though.

9. The Bastard says:

Zoilo has actually been pretty good, if you look at his platoon splits. Against RHP this year:

.303 .377 .451 (220 PA)

And in 2012:

.303 .349 .542 (321 PA)

He’s worth a shot, especially over Ichiro and Wells. But that ain’t happening. They’ll call him up to ride pine. It’s the Yankee Way.

• nycsportzfan says:

I think its time to give Zolio a fair shake as well. I mean, you could possibly boost his trade stock as a MLB ready switch hitting OF’er if hes to do well while up at the big club also. Its worth the gamble in my opinion. See if you can catch lightning in a bottle and boost a guys trade value at the same time. Try and get something outta the kid while he hangs on to his last litle bit of prospect value.

10. Jason Morse says:

Cano may be the best second baseman in the world, but he is far from being a clutch hitter. I could list over a dozen players I’d rather see at bat with the game on the line.

11. And in merrie olde England says:

What happens if Cano remembers how to hit lefties and still beats up on righties the same? I guess it’s pretty impressive but is there some magical internet device that can work it all out?

12. Dave says:

Can someone expand on the year of control comment on Pineda? I thought the Super 2 deadline was passing, so curious how that affects Pineda’s service time.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

He’s still accumulating service time while on the DL.
      If he’s optioned for at least 20 days after his rehab assignment ends, he won’t get a full year of service time this year, and so the Yankees would get an extra year of team control.
      In this scenario, he’d have to be optioned for about 2 months to avoid super 2.

13. Travis L. says:

I’ve got an off the wall question and for those that think its not a good idea…I don’t either, but its an idea nonetheless. Instead of calling up Bell or Johnson…what about Addison Maruszak? He will be Rule 5 eligible (he was last year anyway) and it may be worth taking a look at him. He can play first and at least shortstop as well. Neat utility option if (by some miracle) he actually hits.

• jsbrendog says:

honestly, at this point, kitchen sink approach. throw it all at the wall and see if it sticks.

• FEED.ME.MORE! says:

He can’t be worse than Brignac, can he?

• Crime Dog says:

Yeah, that wouldn’t be terrible. Either way, the guy they bring up to replace Tex would be riding the pine for however long until Tex is back. Johnson/Bell wouldn’t really start any games over Overbay, probably even against lefties in Bell’s case. Any guy they bring up is probably the true 25th man on the roster.

• Travis L. says:

Yep. And since Maruszak is RH, he could (theoretically) platoon with Overbay until Tex returns.

• MannyGeee says:

unless, of course, he can’t hit worth a shit. And then you have TWO platoon bats ont your 25-man roster that can’t hit.

That being said, kitchen sink approach. Hope for lightening in a bottle.

14. nick anthony says:

Mike, now that Tex has re-injured his wrist, is the insurer of the WBC still on the hook for his salary or does the clock reset because he was activated off of the DL? Given how ineffective Tex has been, if the WBC insurer is still on the hook, this may be a blessing in disguise, providing the Yanks more salary relief — just as long as they don’t go and blow it picking up contracts like Vernon Wells.

• Different Josh says:

I’m pretty sure that once he was activated the WBC is off the hook. Its all on the Yankees now.

• Mike Axisa says:

Actually, no. I went back and looked up the reports. The WBC is on the hook if the player gets re-injured.

• Crime Dog says:

Isn’t that a sort of big deal now? If Tex goes on the DL for the season, that’s about 22 million the Yankees save and can possibly spend on a rental. The only issue is there really aren’t any rentals available and the team doesn’t want to add salary past this year.

Also, is it possible the team hasn’t DL’d Tex yet since there’s some sort of process where the WBC does not want to pay the insurance for this DL stint since he can come back before 15 days? Or, something along those lines?

• Pat D says:

Hmm. Interesting.

15. FEED.ME.MORE! says:

I’d call up Almonte and let him play everyday. Having a switch hitter would be a huge plus.

Let Ichiro play 2 out of every three days, with Wells getting the other start in LF.

Call up Mustelier and send down Neal. Musty can play 3B and be an extra extra OF. Nix SS. Cano 2B. Loverbay 1B. Adams and Brignac as your back up, utility type of players.

• IRememberCelerinoSanchez says:

Mustelier is on the DL. If he was healthy, he might have gotten Neal’s callup in the first place.

16. NYYROC says:

Frustrated NYY fans may not value PH much anymore, but I think a team (SF, Pitt etc.) that plays in a bigger ballpark would value Hughes. I think he’ll be traded by the time Pinead comes back.Not for anyone game changing, more along the lines of Cashman’s usual role player pick ups. Maybe a rental (PH) for a rental (Torii Hunter for example)

• jsbrendog says:

if they trade him for a role player piece or a bullpen arm….why not just put hughes in the pen where he is actually good and has shown he is actually good consistently over a season….

• jjyank says:

Yup. I don’t think Hughes will go to be bullpen, but I’d rather see that than have him get traded for one.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Hunter is in the first year of a 2-year deal.
      And he’s on the Tigers – who seem to have much more of a need for Hunter than Hughes.

• jsbrendog says:

yeah one of the best teams in baseball will not be trading one of their OF. They will trade some prospects for a closer at some point i would guess

• NYYROC says:

On paper Det should be one of the best, but did you know they are just 1.5 games ahead of NYY? Thought that was interesting. NYY actually had better record until the WC trip. For as bad as NYY have been wonder what Det. fans are thinking?

• Jim Is Bored says:

I know what they’re thinking.

“Thank God we play the twins, indians, royals and white sox”

• wsa says:

Yankees are also one of the best teams in baseball. The Tigers are only 1.5 games up on them and the best team in the AL is only 1.5 games up on Detroit. One win streak and the Yankees could easily have the best record in the AL in a week or two. Even one injured player returns to form and they could be fine down the stretch.

The media has distorted public perception of the Yankees because they are winning with pitching rather than hitting this season.

• wsa says:

Hughes is probably more valuable to the average team than he appears in Yankee Stadium due to his home HR rate. Any P is going to look better in a big ballpark, though. Would be interesting to learn what his trade value is.

17. NYYROC says:

They could put PH in the pen, but let’s face it, they need hitting in the worst way. The pen has depth already. They hafta trade something to get hitting..could be PH, but as you say maybe not. But I think some pitcher is gonna go..that is where they have surplus.

• jsbrendog says:

except the problem is you have granderson, arod, and jeter coming back around the all star break….which gives them a few weeks pre trade deadline. i doubt anything happens til then. and even then, what do you do? who do you replace? it is a shiddy situation

• wsa says:

Yeah. Those bats should help. Maybe grab one corner OF type (whether a bench guy, stud, or anywhere between) or if a SS/UTL happens to come available. Doubt much more than that happens. Maybe a cheap bullpen arm. Was surprised by the rumor that the Yankees are interested in Nolasco. Guessing it’s a moderate interest.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s always been a low-level interest in Nolasco. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in pinstripes before his career is over, but I also don’t think they’re dying to pull the trigger on him at any given moment.

18. TopChuckie says:

Do Cashman’s comments about KLong’s comments about Tex indicate Cashman’s patience is wearing thin and he is on the hot seat? I think so.

19. NYYROC says:

I think Cashman has to be agressive. If he waits until right around TD to make a move (approx 5 to 6 weeks) team could be way behind. Especially considering the way the O has been lately struggling to score more than 2 runs/ game.

• The Real Me says:

I think the front office looks at the situation as it develops. If the team starts to fall out of contention, they make decisions based on that. If one or more of the rehabbing players has a set back they make decisions based on that and so on. They don’t need to be overly agressive right now, like trading top prospects for older rental players. They’re still in better shape than most expected at this point in the season.

20. Jim Is Bored says:

This is my response to this thread.

As usual, your trade proposal sucks.

21. Robert says:

Bring up Almonte.Find out what he is made of….
    You have Flores,Austin and Mason Williams all of which have been disapointments this year to fill the AAA n AA rosters next year.
    Lets give Neal and Almonte at least a week of games in the ML.
    Ichiro and Wells are way too old to be playing everyday.

• wsa says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Almonte.

Austin hasn’t killed it but has been solid (unlike Flores and especially Williams). 112 wRC+ in AA at 21 after starting last season in Low A.
      Totally arbitrary point of reference but Giancarlo Stanton, a couple of years younger at the time, hit 111 wRC+ his first 341 PAs in AA. Not to compare the two, just to say that there’s plenty of examples of guys who took a step back at some point. AA is often considered a likely point where one might take a step back.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Austin’s been a disappointment? Still seems like a first month of so of adjusting to level followed by strong progress.

I love how these guys aren’t supposed to struggle, yet I remember one of the 10 million reasons people have shat on Hughes over the years was that he DIDN’T struggle in the minors.

Burrito.

22. Vern Sneaker says:

Whatever Cano is (best? second best? etc.?), his LHP split well into the second season is scary. That’s meaningful. If I were Steinbrenner/Cashman, I’d really want to have some convincing insight into what it’s about in order to decide the contract issue. (I’m assuming, of course, it’s already decided, but that’s another story.)