Jun

Thursday Night Open Thread

(Harlem Globetrotters via ESPN)

(Harlem Globetrotters via ESPN)

Every year for the last seven years, the Harlem Globetrotters conduct a “draft” to select honorary members to the team based on their work in the community, stuff like that. This year, the Globetrotters selected Mariano Rivera (and Brittney Griner). “We always have a place on our roster for winning athletes with that kind of mindset. His charitable work through the Mariano Rivera Foundation also embodies the spirit of the Globetrotters giving back to the community,” said the release. Mo can now play for the Globetrotters if he wants, and that would be a pretty cool post-baseball career if you ask me. Don’t see it happening though.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the night. The Mets are playing the Rockies (Hefner vs. Chatwood) and MLB Network will air a game as well. Who you see depends on where you live. Talk about any of that and more right here. You know what to do, so have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. trr says:

My cousin told me thought Nancy Newman was “Hot”

Was he:
    1. Drunk
    2. Joking
    3. Drunk and Joking
    4. Absolutely Right
    5. Absolutely Wrong

2. Mick taylor says:

What would it take to get mike morse Michael young pealed rios . Are any of them worth getting? What about Raul ibanez who has 19 home runs

3. forensic says:

So, you have a couple other closers still and you’re offered Homer Bailey for Koji Uehara. You have to take Bailey, right?

Even despite his couple of not so good starts recently, he’s still pretty good and it gets another Red Sox player off your roster.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Depends who your starters are, who your relievers are, and if you’re like me and if David Ortiz was sitting there in the 12th round and you still wouldn’t take him because you refuse to have a red sox player on your roster.

• forensic says:

I’m trying my best to get rid of the Red Sox players on my team (the only one left after this is Napoli who’s tougher since he at least has C eligibility), especially those that only get good stats for me when they win.

My closers left are Grilli and Soriano (with Putz coming off the DL any day and Wilhelmsen in reserve if he gets his head out of his ass). I also have a couple of set-up men (Clippard, Wilson) still too.

My other starters are in a similar class to Bailey, above average (maybe a couple a little lower than that) to solidly above average, but not top of the line (Gallardo, Colon, Latos, Lohse, Cashner, Stults, Phelps, and Cobb whenever he can see straight again).

• Dalek Jeter says:

I have to say, our pitching staffs are very similar. I’d see if I could get somebody a little bit better than Bailey. Loshe, Stults, Latos, and even Phelps will give you solid innings but don’t really strike guys out (I’ve had Stults and Latos at different points of the season). There’s nothing wrong with Bailey, but especially with Gallardo’s Burnettesc consistency this season, I’d try to get somebody who strikes out at least a batter an inning.

• forensic says:

Well, Bailey is at a K/9, but I do see what you’re saying. The problem is that the person who offered me the trade and is looking for saves has a pitching staff that makes it tough to match up just a little better.

They have Teheran and Bailey (and Bailey is maybe a touch better), then it goes all the way up to Wainwright and Strasburg and down to Hanson and Hughes, so it’s tough.

The only other thing I could try is to a Morrow or Brett Anderson included in the deal for a DL spot, but who knows when or if either of them will even pitch again.

I have a better (I think) trade still waiting in limbo for someone to respond to which would get me Shields for Wilson and Uehara. I’m not optimistic, but you never know.

• Dalek Jeter says:

In that case, I’d pull the trigger, because there’s no way Uehara nets a Strasburg or a Wainwright unless you put a lot more into the deal, and honestly I look at Uehara for Bailey as a net win for you, I was just seeing if you might be able to get somebody marginally better.

• jjyank says:

Agreed. I’d pull the tigger myself. If you need saves and also want to get rid of RS players (which I, myself never draft either) I’d do it. It’s not a slam dunk, but I think it’s the right move.

• SDB says:

“you still wouldn’t take him because you refuse to have a red sox player on your roster.”

Did the same. I also refused to take Papelbon. Though if my FB team gets into the sort of rut where I think everyone in my side is being jinxed by being on my lineup… then I’m trading for Papsmear!

4. KD says:

Toronto/Boston is the big game tonight. If Wang keeps performing, Cashman should be fired.

5. Robinson Tilapia says:

So where will Ciriaco play in the lineup?

*ducks*

• Dalek Jeter says:

Duh, he’ll hit cleanup and play third. Now we have to trade all these old guys that we don’t want on the team, but have an incredible value because that logic makes sense, and flip them for Trout, Strasburg, Harvey, and Stanton. They shouldn’t cost more than A-Rod and Warren, Teix and Phelps, Granderson and Joba, & Hughes respectively. Get it done or get fired Cashman!!!

6. forensic says:

Red Sox announcers are talking about Iglesias being the leader at the moment for Rookie of the Year. It’s really annoying that it’s gotten to this point.

7. Tom says:

5ER for Wang already (1+ IP)

I guess you could say the Red Sox are really getting good strokes on Wang? (too far?)

8. D23 says:

Well we had our 1st first rounder play today, Jageilo had 2 ABs and Ked both times. Serino excelled again. Looking forward to Mike’s farm report later.

9. Bob Buttons says:

Random NFL thoughts:
    Goodbye forever, Aaron Hernandez.
    Cruz I think now is just being a tad greedy.
    We need some legit DB options.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I haven’t really been following the Aaron Hernandez thing, for me it went from he was wanted for interfering with a police investigation to being charged with 1st degree murder…all I can say is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI

• WhittakerWalt says:

The past 15-20 years are what I cheerfully describe as The Golden Age of Football Players Killing People. From O.J. Simpson, to Rae Carruth, to Ray Lewis, to Donté Stallworth, to Pacman Jones, to Leonard Little, now here we are with Aaron Hernandez. What a world.

But ARod’s still the most hated man in sports.

SMDH

• Bob Buttons says:

Don’t forget the UDFA who was released this week.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

My favorite sports criminal will always be Cecil “The Diesel” Collins.

Look him up.

• Dalek Jeter says:

It still amazes me that Ray Lewis isn’t still in jail.

• WhittakerWalt says:

I don’t think he even did any time at all. I could be wrong. I thought he’d just testified against all his bros and received a suspended sentence. Which is a real bitch move.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I know he was initially in jail for 6 months, I don’t know if he served any time though, because yeah, he testified against his friends…and then something happened with that testimony and the cases against his friends got tossed out.

• trr says:

A-Rod: He’s Never Killed Anyone.

• Bob Buttons says:

Yeah I didn’t pay attention to it all that much, just reading NFL.com maybe a couple of times a day and it was

covering for a bud > murderer > cruel murderer > potential repeat murderer

• forensic says:

28 NFL players have been arrested since the Super Bowl (less than 5 months for those counting), several of them for murder/attempted murder and numerous others for weapons/assault crimes.

But, MLB players possibly touching steroids or HGH is going to cause the downfall of all sports and the end of the world…

• Bob Buttons says:

I got bored and on bleacher report they actually had a slideshow for NFLers who’s been arrested past year.

Didn’t figure it was this many.

• RetroRob says:

Yeah, that’s crazy.

Driving around flipping between the sports talk shows in NY, they seemed to be somehow equating the Hernandez arrest and the A-Rod/Cashman story as somehow equal: Two stories today that show the dark, underside of sports.

Really?

10. Robinson Tilapia says:

RT Problems: I come home from work to just about zero parking and wonder why. Silly me…..the NBA Draft is going on five blocks away.

Phoenix picked a tall white center from Maryland at #6. Those guys actually play well now?

• forensic says:

So, I go to ESPN to see who’s been picked and see the pick you mention at #5, not 6. But then look at #6 and see it’s the “Pelicans”.

The Pelicans? Who the hell are the Pelicans and when did this happen???

• Bo Knows says:

New Orleans, the bobcats will get the Hornets name(where it belongs) and hopefully Andrew Wiggins.

I’m a Knicks fan but a NC native so I want the NC team to do well (just not next year lol)

• forensic says:

That makes sense, but where the hell did the name ‘Pelicans’ come from? That’s pretty horrible.

• Bo Knows says:

I agree, nothing you can do makes that sound intimidating, and all the dangerous things that Louisiana has they couldn’t pick one of those? Hell if they called themselves the f’n Crawdaddies that would have been better than the Pelicans.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

No clue. I focused on nothing but the Heat and who the Heat were beating.

I have no clue who any of these players are. This is just me reminding me how lame I’ve become. Hey, I’m sort of funny on the internet, though. In five years, I could be Bill Simmons.

11. Honesty says:

Mike is taking his time Posting his post game report today LOL

12. forensic says:

Sounds like Lester just left the game with a possible injury, maybe to his back.

13. Hey there, I ran across your web site by using Google all at once while trying to find a comparable issue, your site got here right up, this indicates very good. We have put into my personal favorites|included in bookmarks.