Jun

Too Many Homers: Ichiro’s walk-off blast caps off four-homer night for Yankees

The Yankees didn’t just beat the Rangers in the series opener on Tuesday, they beat them in a very un-Yankees-like way. Well, at least a very un-2013 Yankees-like way. New York actually hit the ball out of the park in the 4-3 victory.

(Presswire)

(Presswire)

Too Many Homers
Homers? Homers! Oh how much I’ve missed them. Sweet, glorious dingers. Did you know that prior to Tuesday’s game, the Yankees had hit a total of four (!) homers in their last 15 (!) games? That’s ridiculous. Four homers used to be a bad series for this team, but these are much different times. Thankfully, the Yankees went back to their roots and hit the ball out over the fence en route to beating the Rangers.

The first of the four homers was a Travis Hafner solo shot in the fourth, which came against a hanging Yu Darvish breaking ball. It was on a tee and gone off the bat. Very little doubt about that one. The second was a Brett Gardner solo homer in the fifth, off another hanging breaking ball. This one wasn’t hung as badly, though. Gardner actually hit the ball farther out than Hafner, believe it or not. The third was yet another solo shot, this one off the bat of Jayson Nix in the sixth. And yes, it was another hanging breaking ball. Unlike Hafner and Gardner, Nix hit his out to left field.

The fourth of the four homers came after it looked as though the Yankees were going to squander a prime scoring opportunity. Chris Stewart drew a four-pitch walk to leadoff the ninth, but he was erased at second on Gardner’s fielder’s choice. Gardner was then thrown out trying to steal, his sixth caught stealing in 17 attempts. That 64.7% success rate is way, way too low for a player like him. He came into the year with an 82.2% success rate and that’s where he needs to be. Hopefully Gardner improves that in the second half.

Anyway, Ichiro Suzuki picked up his teammates with a two-out, two-strike solo homer off reliever Tanner Scheppers. It was a 97 mph two-seam fastball according to PitchFX, so Ichiro had to really get his bat around quick to hit it out. Scheppers tried to put the ol’ Bartolo Colon for the called strike three, throwing the two-seamer inside and hoping it would dart back across the corner. Instead, he caught way too much of the plate and Ichiro turned it right around for no-doubter. It was New York’s first walk-off win of the season.

(Presswire)

(Presswire)

Show Stealer
Coming into the game, Darvish was center of attention. That’s no surprise — he’s one of best and certainly one of the most fascinating pitchers in the world. When a guy like that comes to the Bronx, all eyes are on him. Until the Yankees started playing Homerun Derby in the middle innings, he had lived up to the hype as well.

Hiroki Kuroda, meanwhile, chugged along with little fanfare, as he tends to do. He outpitched his countryman by quite a bit, putting up a 59 Game Score to Darvish’s 46. Kuroda did surrender a pair of solo homers to Leonys Martin, Texas’ number nine hitter, but otherwise he struck out six, walked one, and allowed just three singles in 6.2 innings. He had plenty left in the tank (99 pitches) to record the final out of the seventh, but Joe Girardi pulled him in fave of Boone Logan to get the left-on-left matchup against Martin. Kuroda wasn’t great but he was damn effective, stealing the show from Darvish.

Leftovers
Big ups to the bullpen for 2.1 scoreless innings, even if they did put three men on base. Logan struck out Martin to end the seventh, then David Robertson pitched around a single and a walk in the eighth. Mariano Rivera pitched around a single in the ninth. It wasn’t particularly pretty, but they got the job done and gave the offense a chance to win in the late innings after being down 2-0 and 3-1 earlier in the game.

(Presswire)

(Presswire)

Ichiro and Hafner were the only Yankees with two hits, yet the top four hitters in the order did go 6-for-17 (.353) with three homers. The bottom five spots went 2-for-18 (.111) with the one homer. Lyle Overbay (0-for-4 with three strikeouts) and David Adams (0-for-3 with a walk and three strikeouts) were particularly dreadful. Overbay contributed to a blown bases loaded opportunity in the first and a blown first-and-third opportunity in the fifth, both times with less than two outs. The Yankees need to start thinking about finding a new first baseman given Mark Teixeira‘s continued wrist problems.

Adrian Beltre is the best defensive third baseman in the world, but he botched two plays in this game. First he pulled the first baseman off the bag with an errant throw on a pretty routine grounder, then he had a line drive hit right off his glove and deflect into the outfield. That play wasn’t routine, but it was hit right at him and it hit the mitt. A big leaguer has to make that play. Beltre was charged with two errors for the first time since June 7th, 2010. Neither led to a run, so no harm, no foul.

And finally, I’ll close with this: the walk-off blast was only the second walk-off homer of Ichiro’s career. The other? It came against Mo back in September 2009. Symmetry, or something.

Box Score, WPA Graph & Standings
MLB.com is the place to go for the box score and video highlights. FanGraphs has some other stats and ESPN has the standings. The Orioles and Red Sox won while the Rays beat the Blue Jays, so the Yankees are one back of Boston, one up on Baltimore, three up on Tampa, and four up on Toronto in the loss column.

Source: FanGraphs

Up Next
Same two teams on Wednesday night, when Andy Pettitte gets the ball against Justin Grimm. Grimm is 86.2 innings into his big league career and Pettitte might only have 86.2 left in his. Pretty opposite ends of the spectrum with that matchup. RAB Tickets is the place to go if you want to see that one live.

Categories : Game Stories

1. Pseudoyanks says:

Ichiro can hit homers any time he wants.

2. Cuso says:

Too much winning. And STFU A-Rod. Do what Cashman says.

• forensic says:

It’s really not worth getting into another A-Rod argument because people will just hate him for being him, but…

Cashman is the one making this worse, not A-Rod. All A-Rod did is say his other doctor cleared him to play games. He didn’t say the Yankees doctor or the team did.

• Evan3457 says:

It was A-Rod’s way of putting pressure on the Yankees to speed things up, so he can get back sooner. Yanks are right to tell him not to make statements like that to the press. Cashman was wrong for using a profanity in his comment to a media person.

Both of them should be more mature. Ah, well.

• forensic says:

I really don’t think he’s trying to put pressure on the Yankees. I think he was just excited to clear a big hurdle and used twitter for what it’s used for. I’m sure Granderson and Teixeira have tweeted stuff about their recovery processes.

It’s only turned into this because of Cashman.

And finally, Sean Casey nails it and Greg Amsinger says “I never even thought of that, you just opened my eyes to it.” Of course you didn’t think of it, you were too busy bashing and making jokes about A-Rod with Sweeney to think about other possibilities.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Greg Amsinger is the classic “hate his face voice” guy. He just irritates the hell out of me.

• Pat D says:

The combination of him, Mitch Williams and anyone makes a piece of my soul die.

• Kramerica Industries says:

In general, I like MLBN’s cause, but there are too many lunatics there, and there’s way too much of a fraternity culture there, too.

God bless Brian Kenny for trying to bring some forward thinking insights and a disciplined approach to what he does. He was one of the increasingly few good guys at ESPN, too.

• Pat D says:

Yea, but I remember hearing him debate with Joe Sheehan on ESPNews back in the day. He kept trying to promote Keith Hernandez for the HOF.

• forensic says:

Kenny is good from back in his ESPN days. Is Karl Ravech still doing BBTN at ESPN? I haven’t watched them in forever. He was the only pretty good one that I remember.

• pop says:

brian kenny has a good show on nbcsportsradio.com… general sports but a lot of baseball recently…

• Cuso says:

Yeah, Amsinger was trying to stir the pot and create a narrative a bit there.

• Cuso says:

Don’t talk to me unless you picked up Nick Franklin. If you did, I will respond

• vicki says:

yep, this. a guy whose entire life is playing baseball was excited to get good news. if cash doesn’t like it he can address the issue privately.

having said that, twitter is stupid.

• Mandy Stankiewicz says:

This was my gut reaction to the news ^ all it proved to me was that he’s fallen out of favor with the Yankees front office.

• RetroRob says:

I’d say it’s Cashman who needs to STFU. He caused this media cycle. Nothing wrong with A-Rod’s comment.

• LK says:

I’m amazed that that happened. In the grand scheme it’s not a big deal, but I read the headline on ESPN and thought, “Oh God, what stupid thing did A-Rod do?” Then I read that he made a completely innocuous tweet about how the doctor who performed his surgery cleared him to play in games…and that’s it. Cashman not only decided to use that as an opportunity to tell him to shut up, but also decided to drop a freaking F-bomb in the quote, turning it into a big media shit storm when it could’ve been a non-story. Honestly embarrassing behavior by Cashman, and I say that as someone who has usually defended him pretty staunchly. I can’t even imagine what he could have possibly been thinking.

I hope A-Rod laughs all the way to the bank as he squeezes every last cent out of the albatross contract.

3. forensic says:

If you missed the 9th inning of the Mets-White Sox game, you have to see the highlights. Unbelievable way the White Sox blew a one-run lead.

Murphy is up for the Mets with Wright on 2nd and 2 outs. Murphy pops it up in front of the pitchers mound and a little to the third base side. Their 3B Gillaspie comes in and camps under the ball. For some unknown reason though, Beckham comes in from 2B, trips over the pitcher who was standing there watching, and falls into and tackles Gillaspie right as the ball lands next to them and Wright scores to tie it up.

Listening to Hawk was classic, he was speechless for most of the rest of the inning, then after the 3rd out is recorded you could hear how pissed he was in his call at the end. I thought he was going to run out of the booth onto the field and beat the shit out of Beckham himself.

It was maybe even more entertaining than the Castillo dropped ball.

• Jim Is Bored says:

The mets call(highlight on MLB) might be even more entertaining. The announcer’s voice totally cracks when he says “IT FALLS!”

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Maybe.

But it wasn’t.

Listening to Hawk lose his shit, however, is always fun. His utter despondency, and in this case anger, when the Sox lose is truly priceless. I remember him leaving the booth after an opponent home run once because he was too upset.

• Pat D says:

The day that he stops broadcasting games, which, at this point, I assume is the day he dies, will be a great day for baseball.

• Cuso says:

I believe Hawk’s words were “You have got to be bleeping kidding me!”

And yes, he said bleeping.

• Kramerica Industries says:

What’s amazing is how much muttering he does the rest of that inning there. He really is like a fan who is a play-by-play guy for a major league team.

Good stuff.

4. Pat D says:

So I read about the first 80% of the game thread and then skipped over whatever Mike said in this post.

The Yankees lost like 8-0 or something, right?

5. Cuso says:

Hmm. Reverse lock tonight, soooooo unreverse tomorrow? We beat Brothers Grimm because we’re supposed to?

6. WhittakerWalt says:

It really amazes me how much Yankees fans hate ARod. I mean, people are actually mad at him because he wants to get back on the field. You’d think if he was such an asshole he’d be content to just hang out in Tampa and cash his checks, but NO he wants to actually earn his pay.

BURN THE WITCH!

• WhittakerWalt says:

*some Yankees fans, not all.

• Bob Buttons says:

Funny how many of the same people were bloody pissed about Pavano’s perceived lack of effort in getting back.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Good point. Objectivity is pretty much out the window with ARod.
        And here I actually thought the ’09 playoffs would have a Joe Namath-like effect on the way we treated him.

Ha, shows what I know.

• Bob Buttons says:

ARod is one of the few athletes on New York teams that’s getting more unfair hatred than Mark Sanchez.
          Then again, ARod might be one of the most overhated(TM) athletes in North America, along with Bonds.

And I’m suppose to be one of the more ardent opposer of PEDs in sports HOF. Ha.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

What unfair hatred is Mark Sanchez getting? He’s a remarkably terrible QB and was the 5th overall draft pick. He’s pretty thoroughly earned the hatred he’s getting, and I’m coming from a pretty objective place as an Eagles fan.

• Pat D says:

Yea, I’ve hated Sanchez for as long as I’ve known about him. I root for Notre Dame, Penn State and the Giants. That math is easy.

But he does also suck something awful.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I thought hate him, he seems like a nice guy and so far has said all the right things. He’s just bad.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I DON’T hate him, not thought. I don’t even know how the word “thought” snuck in there.

• Bob Buttons says:

Oh he’s a terrible QB alright (must be one of the rare times you see QB and alright in the same sentence while referring to Sanchez), but a lot of people give the impression that he’s a repeat-child abductor who runs over newborn kittens everyday and poisons water supplies at night.

He is definitely not a starter, but let’s face it, there are a lot of people spewing personal insults. I mean, he tries and he doesn’t do PEDs (or at least ones that enhance his performance in a positive way), and he isn’t a bigot. He gets personal attacks more than some people who does do PEDs (Braun) or is a bigot (John Rocker).

And I’m pretty much the opposite of a Jets fan. A Giants and occasionally Dolphins fan here.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Oh, okay. I’m pretty removed from the NY media, but when I think “excessive hatred” my thoughts jump to Donny McNabb before they touch on Sanchez.

I think that’s a pretty good A-Rod comparison actually.

• pat says:

He at least had the decency to stay on the roids even after signing the big contract.

7. Bob Buttons says:

> If you said Gardner, Nix and Ichiro would homer in the same game, in any given year, I would never believe it. Throwing Hafner and it’s nuts.

> As per MLBTR, Nix’s homer is the first by a RHB on NYY since… Tex on June 4th. Where art thou, A-Rod!

But seriously, even if it’s for one night, it’s nice to see the Bronx Bombers being the Bronx Bombers.

8. vicki says:

i won’t cry about a walk-off; it was great. but i really wish they’d gotten the W for hirok, after he held a much better rangers offense to 2 runs last year in his first face-off with yu. and lost.

• RetroRob says:

True, although kind of happy to see Mo get a win, his first of the year. It could be the last win of his MLB career.

• Laz says:

A win is a win.
      At the end of the year I’ll judge Kuroda for his 2.78 era rather than his measly 7-5 record.

• vicki says:

oh, i know the “value” of a pitcher’s win-loss record. guys like strasburg and kershaw have it even worse. but you know there’s this huge japanese pride thing; the hue and the cry, the kid and the veteran. i want my guy to prevail.

• WhittakerWalt says:

WINS ARE EVERYTHING, says Joe Morgan.

9. pat says:

Ichiro went full samurai with that bald head. I dig it.

10. stuart a says:

why waste any energy on Arod, who is the biggest dick in sports.

nice win. shocking that they scored 4 runs, came back etc.

i was befuddled by the Logan move, having him pitch to the lefty. you think GIrardi knows Bafoon Logan is not a lefty specialist.

Kuroda seems to keep them in almost every game.

Adams needs to figure things out. Overbay was their worst player today by a landslide…

11. Kramerica Industries says:

Uh, Pat, got a question that you weren’t able to answer from last night.

You said something about the Pirates being the best team out there to beat the Red Sox in a hypothetical World Series matchup. What exactly was the reason for specifying the Pirates?

• Pat D says:

I didn’t see your question until earlier today.

I replied as follows:

• forensic says:

The Pirates would be a good one. The classic one would be the Cubs though given their futility and Theo.

The Dodgers would work too with all the players Boston wanted no part of anymore.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Ah, well. Made a haphazard assumption. Apologies tendered as such.

Yeah, didn’t know if it was loosely related to the recent Bruins/Penguins playoff series at all, but it would be fun to see Boston get their medicine served in a World Series matchup, G-d forbid they get there in the first place. Seeing the Cardinals and Rockies lay down for them was pretty sickening to watch.

• Pat D says:

Definitely not about the Penguins/Bruins series at all. I hate Crosby.

I just want Boston to go back to losing World Series. And Pittsburgh is the franchise that’s had the least success for such a long period of time, so that would be the ultimate insult in my estimation.

12. BFDeal says:

Exactly what makes him the biggest dick in sports?

13. Cuso says:

Apparently Kyle Blanks has wondertwin-powers-activate on his cleats when he toe taps. At least according to Sean Casey.

14. Cuso says:

You see this Papa John’s commercial on MLBN that starts “Cheese is cheese, right?”

Ive seen it 5 times tonight and every time I hear it before I look up, I’m convinced I hear “Jesus Jeeves, right?”

Cheese is cheese Jesus Jeeves.

15. Get Phelps Up says:

Didn’t see any of this game but wow that was a fun game thread to read through. Greg can purchase season tickets right next to Dalelama at Citi Field. Really nice to have a good game against Darvish with 2 chances to take the series.

Also I haven’t been around for a few days, so what’s up with the new fan confidence poll format? I didn’t see anybody ask in the comment section.

• forensic says:

I don’t know why there’s a new poll format. I actually mentioned it in last night’s open thread but no one replied. I don’t like it. My browser kept defaulting down to that space and the radio button down there instead of just going to the top of the page for some reason. It was really annoying.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Ahhh, Greg’s OK. I mean, he’s annoying, and a ridiculous drama queen, and completely inconsistent, but I think he’s a real Yankees fan. He’s no dalelama or stuart a.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’ll take Stuart 100 times in a thread over Greg. I question who exactly Stuart is a fan of as well, but at least he has common sense opinions about the game in front of him.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Yeah. Greg and I are actually getting along way better this year. Last year he drove me to near insanity.

16. Lukaszek says:

To all those who complained about the Yankees hitting too many homeruns last year, get the feck outta here. Seriously, tonight was amazing, watching all those balls fly past the outfielders and into the bleachers. I haven’t felt this good since the time I first did an illegal substance

17. Pat D says:

The fucking White Sox ended up walking off. Only the Mets.

In other news, don’t go to ESPN.com. A WallyMatt article about how the ARod “mess” is Cashman’s problem. I don’t even have to click on that article to know how terrible it is.

Also, did anyone catch this the other day? You stay classy, Jimmy.

• RetroRob says:

I almost never click on Wally articles as long as I can identify it’s one of his. Doesn’t matter what the topic is. If it’s Wally, I don’t want to do anything to drive traffic to things he writes. I also never visit ESPN NY.

• forensic says:

I just have to ask, you’re a huge wrestling fan (as far as I can tell), which is where that came from, and yet you’ll criticize someone else for doing it?

• Pat D says:

Yes, I am a wrestling fan. I’ve never been a big fan of the crotch chop.

This will color me more conservative than I really am, too, but if I had kids and took them to the game and someone on my team was doing that, I’d be a little upset. It sends the wrong signal. If I took my kids to wrestling, I would know that it’s a part of wrestling. But it’s not a part of baseball.

Also, why is he directing it at his own teammate who just won the game?

18. mustang(The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Joe did everything right in the 9th:

Could asked Gardner to bunt, like he normally does, but he let his hottest hitter swing. NOTHING.

Send Gardner from 1st. NOTHING

Then BANG walk-off.

Joe deserves this win just for trying.

On A-Rod: All they are asking of him is to keep his mouth shut and go through the process as he is told. Damn dude your getting paid a shit load of money is it really that fucking hard. Apparently for Alexander Emmanuel Rodriguez it is. Sigh

Boar’s Head Natural All Beef Hot Dogs Presents Mustang’s Has Been and Wannabee of the Game Awards:

The Wannabe of the game is
    Jayson “Shit I didn’t know I can hit a ball that far” Nix

The Has Been of the game is
    Ichiro “Mike now has to wear my kimono for day” Suzuki

19. Rigoleto says:

Ichiro was more comfortable with 2 friends pitching.

20. Cool Lester Smooth says:

UGH! Way too many homers tonight! Why can’t we just get back to what works: stringing rallies together on a bunch of slap hits!

I mean, look how much fun the last few weeks have been!

21. Get Phelps Up says:

Too bad the All Star Game is all about big names or else Gardner might actually not be snubbed in favor of guys like Nick Markakis, Alex Gordon and Torii Hunter.

• vicki says:

but seriously. either the o’s fans are really fucking organized or they have one very good hacker. davis, jones and hardy i get. but markakis? makes you wonder.

won’t be surprised if chris davis overtakes miggy.

22. EndlessJose says:

How does the FU A-Rod comment by Cashman not have it’s only thread?

23. fred robbins says:

Nice to watch a win and see the very first walk off of the year. Had to overcome an Overbay…wow… maybe the kid Z should have been batting in front of Overbay in the line up. But that’s hindsight of course.
    I mentioned yesterday the Yankees have seemed in a state of denial about needing a shortstop as well as a handful of other regular position players and I got blasted for it. Well… to me, I saw good ole Nixie get to two or three ground balls up the middle that Jeter would have never been close to– unless he was positioned within one foot of where the ball was headed. Hopefully he can still hit when he gets back and be the right handed DH, but he has no range– just a step or two to his left or right- and if the Yankees have a ground ball pitcher out there, it will be futile watching one ball after another roll into the outfield. I am not saying Nix should be the shortstop- only that the team really needs a new star playing shortstop or at least someone who is sure handed and mobile.
    I also got blasted for saying I can’t believe we gave away Wang and to a division rival no less. Well, so far, he has pitched 2 great games for Toronto and if he continues to pitch that well, he will be better than every pitcher the Yankees have, other than Kuroda… so I guess Wang was just either too good or not old enough to be considered of any value to a team that continues to throw Hughes out there.

24. sandy g says:

i believe the Yankees have a plan for arod.after his rehab,cashman options him down to aaa Scranton where he will stay.he will never take the field for the Yankees again.

25. LarryM Fl says:

A great game to watch as the team hung in there for the win. Seeing four homers from this club as obviously unusual. But the missed opportunities by the back end of the lineup continue was disheartening as usual. As I indicated yesterday the Yanks need a guy who can play third and first. Adams and Overbay are lost. I do not the internal front office thoughts about Adams if they will stick with him because of his initial success and hope for its return but something has to be done to lessen no contact from two guys in the lineup. As mentioned in a prior comment Zoilo makes contact. His spot in the lineup should be adjusted up.

Kuroda did the professional job as we have come to expect. Nix doing all he can do. Cano may have had a conversation with Joe G. He seems more focused and can I say “hustling” on the base paths. Maybe the lack of contract talks are the real impetus.

Nice to see Ichiro come through with the walk-off. He has been blasted by many of us but has shown some life of late.

26. trr says:

I’ve always been a huge Ichiro fan. I’m sorry we didn’t have him in his prime. Yes, I know his 2 year contract is crazy and he ‘ s in decline, but for me last night was great.

And I could care less what Rodriguez said; rest assured he ‘ll be saying many more stupid things and igniting false controversies before he’s gone.

• LarryM Fl says:

I do not have a problem with his 6 million dollar contract for one year its the second year but I know the guy will do everything possible to play to his best for the Yankees. He is that type of player. At forty years old to turn on a 97mph fastball is incredible. He can still run and play some defense. The contract may not be such a bad one in the long run.

Yes, I have called him toast but he has proven me wrong with his turn around. I only hope for it to continue even on a moderate return with occasional flashes of incredibleness.

27. Robinson Tilapia says:

So many assurances the team would lose last night. Didn’t happen. As a matter of fact, Jayson Nix and Ichiro hit home runs to ensure that it didn’t happen, while Boone Logan for people out.

If you like to whine about the usual suspects, this wasn’t the night for you.

But hey, there’s a meaningless exchange between Cashman and Alex to give you an erection this morning. Who gives a shit.

Awesome win.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

And even better news out of Trenton with Pineda pitching well and hitting 95 MPH.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Ramirez really showing some quick adjustment to level as well. Someone mentioned his innings in DOTF, which really seems to be the primary thing that may keep him from knocking on the door sometime next year.

Austin’s numbers keep on looking better and better. Some nice new starts for the draft picks. Can’t wait to see Jagleio and, hopefully, Judge in action.

Real good stuff going on. We can focus on the bad, if we choose, but there’s lots of silver linings right now for Yankee fans. Hell, one’s still called “the standings.”

28. Brian in MA says:

Even with the homer, Garder’s WPA was significantly lower than Adams and his 3 K’s. YOU CAN’T PREDICT BASEBALL!!

29. nyyankfan_7 says:

Something should be said for Hafner hitting the ball hard twice the other way. I don’t know if it was by design or just because of how bad he has been slumping but I wish it would happen more often. He was robbed of a hit (that ball was hit hard enough it should not have been an error on Beltre). I have been waiting all year for someone to beat the damn shift. Professional players should be able to hit to all fields, it’s a joke that we have like 5 guys that teams play 1 guy on the left side of the infield during their at-bats.

30. mt says:

There is clearly something going on (tug of war maybe) with this Arod situation – remember Monday when NY daily News reported that Arod was definitely starting rehab games on Monday July 1 and then when they got to Cashman he said he did not know anything about it. Sounded blindsided. Like Arod’s camp is leaking stuff or trying to put pressure on yanks to let him play?

Then of all things in the middle of his rehab with Biogenesis stuff looming that Monday becomes the day one of the most famous (infamous) athletes in the world decides to go on twitter and instagram – Colin Cowherd was right to make fun of it when he said all of his coments was “I’m doing work”, “got my work in” – what is he trying to prove? Timing is suspicious.

Then Arod is not stupid – him then tweeting something yesterday that his doctor has allowed him to play – he has got to know that people will then go running to Cashman with question as to when will Yankees clear him – dude, you have been out for several months and now you are giving daily quotes on your medical status?

Then Cashman – who clearly does not care anymore about discretion given comments he has made to the press over the last year or so (did anyone see his “get on his high horse” comments on Monday when someone asked him about whtehr he is concerned about a looming Biogenesis suspension for Arod and he actually said he “doesn’t care because baseball needs to do whatever it takes to get rid of any cheaters they find and any specific negative impact on the Yankees be damned”!) – he then drops the frustrated F bomb yesterday because he is pissed at what Alex is doing with these comments/tweets.

But bottom line Cashman has got to be smarter than that. His F bomb becomes the story. Maybe he thought he was off the record but still needs to be careful. Makes Yankees look bad.

31. JohnnyBeans says:

Ichiro and Wendy Davis messed with Texas!

32. Ken says:

How is it that a player written off by RAB can have a walk off home run and be batting .270? Not many Yankees batting higher than this waste of roster space, eh Mike? Now Pettite, on the other hand, can do no wrong, even if he does give up a big lead.