Jun

Wednesday Night Open Thread

Can you believe that happened four years ago already? It feels like it was last week. I remember watching the ball get popped up and getting up off my couch assuming the game was over. I didn’t see the drop live, my eyes were off the television until I heard Michael Kay screaming “He dropped the ball! He dropped the ball!” What a crazy, crazy game. Happy birthday Luis Castillo’s drop, you turn four today.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the night, at least until the regular game thread comes along in a few hours. The Yankees don’t start until 10pm ET again. The Mets are playing the Cardinals (Gee vs. Miller), the Indians and Rangers will be on ESPN (Ubaldo vs. Tepesch), plus you’ve got Game One of the Stanley Cup Finals. Talk about any of those games here. Enjoy.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Bill R says:

Saw this at my girlfriends apartment, she must have thought i was nuts the sounds that came out of me when this happened!

2. Ryan says:

Yup, remember this. Was watching with my roommate at the time, and all we could do was laugh.

3. Bob Buttons says:

I think I was laughing out loud for 5 minutes that day.
    Good days, good days. half a month after that Mo gets an RBI.

4. vicki says:

i was bartending. looked away in disgust, then the whole joint erupted.

teix kept running.

5. JCK says:

Not sure why all the announcers were so surprised that happened. Everyone knows you can’t predict baseball, Suzyn.

6. Robinson Tilapia says:

This is why a diehard Met fan friend’s response to the Mets sweeping the Yanks this year was “I don’t know why they even bother winning.”

7. NYinTX says:

My wife and I were at the game. The Stadium was insanely loud when it happened.

8. NeilT says:

Never. Gets. Old.

9. Pseudoyanks says:

I was in a bar in Chicago following box score on my phone, not watching, the bartender wanted to demonstrate mlb radio over his iPhone to me. Tuned into this game for me and I heard this last play. Very weird and unreal timing.

10. JonS says:

I was watching that game on my living room. I threw my remote as soon as Arod popped up then ran around the house screaming when it was dropped. lol

Good memories.

11. jjyank says:

And I was studying abroad for this one. I assume I was asleep, considering the 7 hour time difference. Still love to watch the replays though.

12. Matt DiBari says:

Was at the game. Was already scoring it in my book when I heard the screaming

13. Vern Sneaker says:

I remember the friend I was watching the game with said “he’s having trouble with it” and I started holding my breath. But never thought he’d drop it. Unreal, and never get tired of watching it. The throw to second looks more bizarre every time.