Jun

Yankees acquire Brent Lillibridge

The Yankees have acquired utility man Brent Lillibridge from the Cubs for a player to be named later, the team announced. The 29-year-old is not on the 40-man roster and will report to Triple-A Scranton, where they need warm (and healthy) bodies in the worst way. Lillibridge had a huge year with the White Sox in 2011 (125 wRC+), but that was a complete fluke. He put up a 96 wRC+ in 173 plate appearances for Chicago Triple-A affiliate this summer. Just another depth player for the minors, that’s all.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Eddard says:

If Jayson Nix should ever get seriously injured it’s good to know they have his spot covered.

2. CashmanNinja says:

Not exactly the Cub I was hoping to get, but I guess every little bit helps considering what we’re currently working with. :|

3. Jersey Joe says:

Here’s to hoping he can be the player he was in 2011.

While I like the potential and versatility here, I’ve kinda had it with all these marginal acquisitions. F-Mart, Brignac, Alberto Gonzalez, Chris Nelson; they are all AAA depth, and AAAA players.

I guess the difference with most of these guys is that they are all relatively young, but that doesn’t mean that they have a better chance of becoming serviceable players like Hafner and Overbay.

Cashman’s not an idiot – he knows that he needs a concrete bat, and that he can’t expect a dead cat bounce from every single has-been. He really needs to capitalize at the trade deadline.

• Preston says:

I think you’re overthinking it. With all the injuries at the big league level, the AAA roster is thin from all the call-ups. Instead of rushing a prospect from AA before he’s ready they’re grabbing some organizational guys to fill the holes. These aren’t big league moves.

4. Mikhel says:

James Darnell has been released by the Padres, he is injuried and is a light-hitting player, he is in tune with Cashman’s acquisitions.

Sometimes I wonder if Cashman’s spreadsheet is sorted from lowest to highest AVG / OBP.

Yankees motto should be the New Colossus sonet:

Give me your tired (injuried), your poor (hitting),
    we will sign and give them non-stop playing time.

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

**sigh**

5. J-Money says:

I remember him making two ridiculous catches against the Yankees one game to win it for the White Sox

6. Bob Buttons says:

Bet he can outhit Nunez.

7. your mom says:

.083 OPS and I thought Brignac sucked.