With Mike covering the All Star Game and related festivities for CBS this week, I’ll be your host for Down on the Farm tonight. We start off with video of A-Rod‘s A-Bomb, courtesy of Josh Norris. Larry Granillo of the Tater Trot Tracker timed A-Rod’s first trip around the bases since last September at 26 seconds so clearly Al is taking it a bit slow. He also had a single. Come back soon, right-handed power hitter.
The rest of these will be a bit abbreviated. Feel free to highlight any performances I may have missed in the comments.
Double A Trenton (6-5 win over Reading)
- 3B Alex Rodriguez: 2-4, HR, 2 RBI. – He had some chances in the field too and emerged unscathed. Mike had more on him earlier.
- CF Slade Heathcott: 1-5, 2 K
- SP Nik Turley: 6 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 1 HR.
- RP Danny Burawa: 1 IP, a bunch of zeroes
- RP Tommy Kahle: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
Class A Tampa is in the 14th inning of a 2-2 game. The Yanks have 14 hits but just two with runners in scoring position. Mason Williams is 2-5; Peter O’Brien is 3-6; Rob Refsnyder is 2-6; Saxon Butler is 3-6. Dietrich Enns struck out five in six innings and allowed just an unearned run. Honestly, I won’t update this post when the game ends, but you can check out the boxscore.
Class A Charleston (8-5 loss to Augusta)
- SS Cito Culver: 1-4, 2B, BB, K – All the way up to .226/.314/.362 with his recent hot streak. At least he’s shown some patience.
- 3B Dante Bichette Jr.: 2-3, HR, BB – 7th home run of the season. He’s back above the Mendoza Line, for now.
- Jake Cave went 1 for 3, and the pitching was, to a man, not impressive tonight.
Short Season A Staten Island: (7-4 win over Auburn)
- LF Michael O’Neill: 2-5, 2B
- 3B Eric Jagielo: 2-4, K, HBP – .350/.447/.475 through his first ten games with SI.
- DH Kale Sumner: 2-3, 2-run HR, 2 BB – 32nd Rounder off to a nice start.
- 1B Bubba Jones: 3-5, 2B, 3-run HR
- SP Rookie Davis: 5 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K – He was last year’s bonus baby.
- 2B Gosuke Katoh: 0-1, 1 BB, 1 Sac Fly, 2 SB
- LF Ronnie Musterlier: 0-3 – Continuing a pretty miserable rehab showing.
- SP Mark Montgomery: 2 IP, 5 K, a whole lotta zeroes – Nice rehab outing.
- No one else had a notable performance in this game or game 2.