Record Last Week: 3-4 (25 RS, 27 RA)
Season Record: 51-44 (373 RS, 375 RA, 47-48 pythag. record), 6.0 GB ALE/3.0 GB WC
Opponents This Week: Mon. to Tues. OFF, @ Red Sox (three games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The week started with four games against the Royals at home. Jeremy Guthrie shut the Yankees down in the first game, then the Bombers were held to one run in the following day’s loss. New York rebounded with a blowout win on Wednesday before earning the series split on Thursday.
- The Twins came to the Bronx for a three-game weekend set, and the Yankees took the opener in a rain-soaked shutout. Phil Hughes got hit around in Saturday’s loss before CC Sabathia did the same yesterday.
- Injury Updates: Derek Jeter (quad) returned to the team on Thursday but immediately went down with a Grade I strain. Alex Rodriguez (hip) is moving up to Double-A Trenton to continue his rehab assignment. Curtis Granderson (hand) has started taking dry swings. David Phelps (forearm) will start a throwing program today. Jayson Nix (hamstring) will continue his rehab in Tampa. Brett Gardner (leg) and Travis Hafner (foot) were day-to-day with contusions but have since returned to the lineup.
- The Yankees are “aggressively pushing” Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain in trade talks. The Phillies have interest in Joba and the Rockies have interest in Hughes as a reliever. The club has asked “repeatedly” about Asdrubal Cabrera and has interest in Justin Ruggiano, but they have not checked in on Kendrys Morales. New York was told Michael Young isn’t available and they aren’t interested in Miguel Olivo.
- Among the draft picks the Yankees signed prior to Friday’s deadline were first rounder Aaron Judge ($1.8M), 18th rounder Dustin Fowler ($278k), 20th rounder Drew Bridges ($225k), and 36th rounder Nestor Cortes (unknown).
- Travis Ishikawa elected free agency after being designated for assignment to clear a roster spot for Jeter. David Adams was sent to Triple-A to clear a roster spot for Ishikawa earlier in the week.
- Both Gary Sanchez and Rafael DePaula made Baseball America’s midseason top 50 prospects list.
- A-Rod may consider a plea deal from MLB as part of the Biogenesis investigation.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.