Jul

Game 93: Beat The Twins

Delta dedicated a 757 to Mariano Rivera on Friday. nbd. (DKC News)

Delta dedicated a 757 to Mariano Rivera on Friday. nbd. (DKC News)

There is no team I’d rather see the Yankees play more than the Twins … well, ever. The Bombers have had way too much success against them over the years — I’m going to repeat this because it’s worth repeating: New York is 71-20 against Minnesota during the Ron Gardenhire era, and four of the 20 losses came against in-his-prime Johan Santana — and they make for comfortable games. I could use some of that this weekend heading into the break. Here’s the lineup that will face lefty Scott Diamond:

1. CF Brett Gardner
  2. RF Ichiro Suzuki
  3. 2B Robinson Cano
  4. DH Vernon Wells
  5. LF Zoilo Almonte
  6. 1B Lyle Overbay
  7. SS Eduardo Nunez
  8. 3B Luis Cruz
  9. C Chris Stewart

And on the mound for his final start of the traditional first half, right-hander Hiroki Kuroda. I’m sure older pitchers appreciate the All-Star break for the extra rest. Well, appreciate it more than everyone else.

It’s been cloudy and humid all day in New York, which means rain. The forecast calls for a short shower right around first pitch, but that’s all. The game is scheduled to start a little after 7pm ET and can be seen on YES. Enjoy.

Injury Updates: Curtis Granderson (hand) started taking dry swings yesterday but has yet to take batting practice … Travis Hafner (foot) is expected to be available as a pinch-hitter … in case you missed it earlier, Derek Jeter (quad) will not play this weekend due to a Grade I strain.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Dan says:

You mean they’ve won 71 of 91 games.

2. Mr. Roth says:

How high of a level of intensity is appropriate for rehab?

In other words, when a player is on a rehab assignment in AAA, do they get instructed to operate at 70% on the intensity throttle? If that was the case, at what point are they told to increase the intensity level to 100%?

Does a rehab player ever operate at 100% intensity in the minors? If not, how would they ever be ready for the jump to major league intensity levels? If so, how do they ever manage to not get injured from the excess intensity?

What does 70% intensity look like when compared to 80% intensity? And what about 80% intensity vs. 95% intensity? When a player manages to ascend into the realm of 110% intensity, does the team medical staff have to give clearance for the additional 10% intensity boost?

• Dan says:

That’s sounds way too tiring not to mention pointless to speculate about but knock yourself out.

• CS Yankee says:

Your post covers about 80% of all intensity levels in AAA vs. the bigs, but only covers about 5% of all intensity.

Good point though, Tulo didn’t slide in his rehab AAA tuneup games whereas it would have keep an inning alive…he said the in previous years he would have but not anymore, and this was when he was within a few games from returning to the Rox.

I trust that Jete busted it in rehab but maybe, just maybe, the Cano approach has better overall results.

• Must Have Teh Puig!!! says:

But if Cano busted it down the line on an obvious ground ball out, then hurt himself and missed 2 weeks, does that really help the team?

Just to play devil’s advocate.

• CS Yankee says:

…hence my “Cano approach has better overall results” line.

The NYY SS’s beyond suck and Jeter with the “Cano approach” would still likely net better results than the five washed up AAA guys that have manned the position so far this year.

• Mr. Roth says:

Then we’d be having a conversation about how Jeter got hurt because he was trying to hold himself back. A player is pretty much going to play the way that they play.

• Must Have Teh Puig!!! says:

This is exactly my point of view on the Jeter strain. If he was running the bases in AAA and caught the strain, is it really different than him hurting it the way he did?

If he hurt himself tonight, would we say he was rushed? Or tomorrow?

How do we grade how hard a player should play? Should you play harder because it’s an ML game as opposed to a mL game? If so, then what’s the point?

You play the game to the fullest of your efforts. Either that or you have rehabbing players not play ANY games at all prior to being activated. Does that work better?

3. Different Josh says:

Not to be a jerk, but its 91-20 not 91-71.

4. The Real Greg says:

People are making too big of a deal about this quad strain. He gets 7 days off to rest up.

And Jack Curry taking the “could have gotten injured at Scranton” route and states that Jeter would have played with the same intensity at Scranton because of who he is.

• CS Yankee says:

Whats that thing you always say…fallacy?

He is a gamer and all that, but he paces himself in ST and the highlights of his AB’s in SWB look like he was less than full thottle. I’m sure the intensity of a real game made him over extend his level of conditioning.

• Fin says:

Are you crazy, Jeter plays full out 100% every game he plays even against little kids in a pick up game. He doesn’t know how to play any other way. There is no way he would try to protect himself and go slower in a minor league game, he doesn’t know how. Its way to hard to figure out how to take it easy while rehabbing and getting in shape. He only knows how to play 1 way, it is who he is!

• Must Have Teh Puig!!! says:

Shhh!!! Let’s not let rational thought get in the way of baseless speculation and finger pointing.

5. mr nixon says:

I know its only GCL but Kasuke Gatoh is having a year. I am not sure where he enrs up but he is hitting acton.

6. Snuke Swanky says:

Dont really post on here..but THANK GOD ITS CONEY IN THE BOOTH

7. forensic says:

Moving on from that Jeter thread…

Come on Yanks, let’s have a nice continuation of that last series against the Twins!

8. Snuke Swanky says:

I’m still bitter about Morneau stealing that MVP from Jeter in 06

• forensic says:

While Morneau certainly shouldn’t have won it, it’s not like Jeter was the only other competitor. I know Jeter was second in the voting, so that’s the easy assumption, but there are a bunch of other guys who could make the same argument.

Just for example, depending on what you choose to buy in to (if you like WAR at all), Jeter was 9th in bWAR and 3rd in fWAR.

• Snuke Swanky says:

I was still a kid back then, so my view is somewhat distorted. It seems like the best guys you could make a case for are Hafner(.308/.439/.659) & Sizemore(.290/.375/.533); but I feel like how well your team does should factor into it(maybe irratioanlly) and that Cleveland team was 78-84 and the Yanks were the best team in baseball that year.

• forensic says:

I actually agree about how they should be on a good team (or at least need to be further ahead individually to make up for it), though I know there are plenty of arguments against it.

Jeter being on a division winner certainly helps, but so was Mauer and Frank Thomas. Carlos Guillen and the Tigers made the playoffs. Ortiz and the Red Sox and Wells and the Blue Jays also finished over .500.

Jeter is certainly near the top of the list of best candidates, but there are plenty of others too.

• Snuke Swanky says:

There are some pretty good seasons in there: Ortiz hitting 54 bombs, Guillen was a 6 win player, Frank Thomas coming out of nowhere, but I still think Jeter is the front runner in that group.

• Snuke Swanky says:

Either way, theres like 6 or 7 guys that have a pretty good argument. You could probably make the case for Johan too, although pitchers should never be included in mvp discussions

• Goraffe says:

I just checked. According to B-ref, Vernon Wells had a higher WAR than Jeter. Too bad it isn’t 2006.

• Lukaszek says:

Pronk should’ve won IMO. 42 homeruns in 129 games and led the league in SLG and OPS. He was also a very close second to Manny Ramirez in OBP.

9. SDB says:

One step closer to Kabak eating his hat.

10. vicki says:

another walk closer to fried hat sammich.

11. The Real Greg says:

Morneau was playing way off the bag there, With two outs, you would expect him to be playing behind the runner.

• forensic says:

Was he off the bag and behind the runner? That’s not unusual with a runner on 2nd in front of Wells. You’re not really trying too hard to keep him close in that situation with a righty batting.

12. The Real Greg says:

And Kuroda’s pitches have been up. Not a good sign

• trr says:

Yes, I’ m getting a bad feeling about this game for no particular reason….

• Fin says:

Maybe because this lineup has a reasonable chance to get shut down by any pitcher on any night. Its hard to have a good feeling in any game these days. The fact they scored 8 runs 2 games in a row, gives me a bad feeling that they are do to score 3 runs or less in every game this series.

• SDB says:

It’s called a reverse lock. Bank on it.

And of course the lineup seems to go ice cold whenever Kuroda’s pitching.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

Yes but he will settle down. Bank it.

13. The Real Greg says:

Toronto had a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the second.

Baltimore gets a 2 run homer from guess who to tie the game.

14. Snuke Swanky says:

Woah Gyorko comin off the DL outta nowhere

15. Wheels says:

It looks really wet up there.

16. Snuke Swanky says:

Yeah Kay, Overbay with his sub .300 OBP and his continued inability to score runners from 3rd with two outs have really been a godsend

17. Wheels says:

Umps need to get the game moving along a bit.

18. The Real Greg says:

Now remember, Diamond only gave up 2 ER in 6.2 innings against the Yankees. The Yankees then proceed to crap on the Minnesota bullpen and won 10-4.

19. The Real Greg says:

Another pitch that was up. Kuroda has picked a bad time to not be sharp

• forensic says:

I don’t know if there are good times to not be sharp, but this would actually not be among the worst to me. He’s doing it against a not-to-powerful offense and a team with a pitcher and pitching staff that the offense might be able to pick him up against.

Doing it against a great hitting team or an ace opponent pitcher would be much worse.

• The Real Greg says:

I meant more in terms of the time frame than the opponent. Yankees are heading into the All Star Break, they’ve won 8 of 11. Kuroda has been the best pitcher on the staff in the first half, playing an opponent that the Yankees historically pummel.

The Jeter news kinds of muddies it a bit as well.

*not-too

Geez, typos like crazy so far tonight.

20. Kramerica Industries says:

No Morneau homers, here.

He’s always raked at this Yankee Stadium.

21. forensic says:

The Marlins had 9 baserunners and 7 ER against Strasburg before he even recorded the first out in the 2nd inning.

Wow!

1. Cashman failed.
      2. Someone will cite him as a real ace the next time CC gives up three runs in eight innings.

22. The Real Greg says:

And Gardner is about to hit the .260s again. Really disappoints me as a hitter

• Snuke Swanky says:

Meh, he shouldn’t have to be the 2nd best hitter on the team.

I blame Girardi. :-)

• forensic says:

Nothing, Greg? I thought that was pretty good bait. At least tell me you rolled your eyes at me or flipped off your computer. ;-)

• The Real Greg says:

Well the smiley face kind of gave it away

Yeah, but still…

What if I said I was actually somewhat serious based on what he’s done since Girardi insisted on giving him the day off?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

forensic’s new tactic against OhioYanks will be a smiley face.

• forensic says:

heh, I just need to start every comment (notice they’re not called facts) with “I THINK:” since it’s apparently not obvious that all comments on here, other than ones with actual numbers and stuff like that, are opinions.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Can I be honest? That actually helps a ton. I’m actually very careful to use that.

• forensic says:

That’s fine, but it’s kind repetitive to use it in every single comment. That’s why I used other words like could, possibly, maybe…

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’ve learned to qualify 95% of what I say, except when I’m calling someone a moron. You’ve got to just commit to that sort of thing.

• forensic says:

He even accused me of going after other people like that, which is the most absurd thing. I’ve never really been confrontational like that with anyone other than Real Greg on a few occasions (which we get past) or the Real Ted.

I’m one of the few here who just let all the trollish and other types of comments go by without a response.

• trr says:

IDK…..saying “I think you’re a moron” is stil pretty declarative, LOL

• Anderson Silva says:

he’s actually not a very good hitter. I don’t know why people think otherwise, he has never showed that in his career (career 96 OPS+)

• The Real Greg says:

Well he essentially replaced Johnny Damon in the outfield, and while I figured Gardner to not have the same power that Damon had, I (probably wrongly) figured him, with that speed to be like Damon offensively.

• trr says:

I’ll say this : he’s got a terrible swing. He drops his left arm and shoulder, that’s why he gets under the ball and makes such weak contact sometimes.

23. Robinson Tilapia says:

I just noticed a man in his late 30′s ran to first base without actually dying. The wonders of modern medicine.

#mustbeanasianthing

24. The Real Greg says:

Add another walk to the hat total

25. Cuso says:

Muhahaha!!! Eat the hat! Eat the hat!

26. SDB says:

EAT THE HAT! EAT THE HAT!

27. Robinson Tilapia says:

What’s the deal with the 70′s references and George Brett interview? Just turned the game on.

28. Hats on deck says:

80 walks?

29. Robinson Tilapia says:

Just sprinkle a bit of sciracha on the hat.

30. dkidd says:

checked out the brett-nettles fight. two observations

guidry was fearless
    billy martin was totally calm, stood back with his arm around freddie patek

• Pat D says:

I watched the ’98 brawl with the Orioles last night.

The first few things I observed were how much better Jeter’s hairline looked then and that Girardi looked pretty fired up. Oh, and that Scott Brosius seemed reluctant to fight.

31. McLovin says:

Beautiful night.

32. Elton Cod says:

Watching the Yankees over the last few weeks, I have been really disgusted by their weather. It seems they can’t go two games with at least some disgusting humidity and rain, usually a rain delay too.

Bad weather prevents the offense from getting in a groove. It also messes up their pitching. It just makes the whole game ugly. As if it wasn’t ugly enough already, with this offense!

Add Derek Jeter to that, and Brian Cashman definitely needs to be fired.

Also, it’s a disservice to the fans to have bad weather. You pay $350 or whatever it takes to get into Yankee Stadium these days and you see some lousy baseball because of the rain.

It just sucks to sit in the rain and watch baseball. The experience sucks, you get cold and wet or you just have to go home. It’s miserable.

I don’t think Steinbrenner would have allowed this.

I don’t know why management hasn’t thought about doing something about this. Maybe they could move, or they could find a way to change the weather, or they could fire Girardi.

33. Anderson Silva says:

another leadoff base hit

34. The Real Greg says:

Stewart has only 4 passed balls this year. I thought he would have more

35. Kramerica Industries says:

Certainly gotta be headed towards a delay now.

36. Robinson Tilapia says:

Right now, as we speak, I am filling a 2 gig mp3 player with music for my little boy, who turns two on Sunday. If you were to introduce your toddler to one song, what would it be?

• Kramerica Industries says:

Baby Got Back.

• forensic says:

Another unintentional ‘Friends’ reference?

• Kramerica Industries says:

Fully intentional. This one was just way too easy.

And no Seinfeld equivalent exists.

Funny, though.

Hip-hop’s a struggle. He can repeat stuff, so I have to be careful the lyrics.

Ah, the days where his favorite songs were “N*ggaz in Paris” and “Swimming Pools.”

• Get Phelps Up says:

New York New York!

• forensic says:

Is New York, New York too homerific?

Seriously though, I don’t know if I could just pick one. Billy Joel would be up there, but there’s so much in Jazz, Rock, Classic Rock, and even Classical.

Unfortunately, right now mine is instead obsessed with The Chicken Dance and The Itsy Bitsy Spider. Try having all the youtube versions of those stuck in your head forever. It’s not a ton of fun.

• Elton Cod says:

Something by the Beatles, probably a McCartney tune, like Let It Be or Blackbird.

I listened to a lot of James Taylor as a toddler, he has a nice voice for that.

I think I also liked some ‘children’s music’ – Raffi and Rosenshontz. And Peter, Paul, and Mary.

But I was also pretty mellow and sufficiently introverted that I grew up to enjoy trolling, so YMMV.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’m laughing again. Shit.

Lots of Beatles already on here. Friend of mine gave me two CD’s of folk music for kids.

Really trying to round this out a bit. Every genre is represented. I just ripped some OutKast.

For the RAB parent crowd, it’s the SweetPea mp3 player. Made for kids. External speaker. Nice big buttons. Won’t confuse for your phone or iPad.

• Elton Cod says:

In that case I would consider something from Bach’s Brandenburg Concertos, maybe the first movement of the 5th, 2nd, or 3rd, or a first movement from one of the Orchestral Suites. Oh, also something by Chet Baker, probably off ‘It Could Happen to You’ – the title track or ‘Do It the Hard Way’.

• Betty Lizard says:

This Land is Your Land, Pete Seeger

Or, Rainbow Connection (seriously!) Willie Nelson
      Or Puff the Magic Dragon, Peter Paul and Mary
      City of New Orleans, Arlo’s version

Got the first already.

I can top you on the next guy, though: “Shotgun Willie” and “Whiskey River.”

• Pat D says:

Waylon Jennings’ “Lonesome, On’ry and Mean.”

You know he’ll grow up tough.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Might fit some female country on there – only old school, though. Maybe some Loretta or Dolly.

Now ripping: “Bouncing Around the Room” by Phish.

• Betty Lizard says:

I thought the playlist is supposed to be for you little boy. Things he will like. :-)

• Pat D says:

I just realized I missed the easy classical piece that you should you: Also Sprach Zarathustra.

• forensic says:

That’s kind of foreboding with some serious volume/intensity changes though. That might not be great. It does have a somewhat heroic feeling to it though.

Not that he would understand any of this anyway, but…

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I just ripped “Tommy the Cat” by Primus. Clearly, caution is thrown out the window. :)

• forensic says:

Geez, now you have me flipping through some of the good ones on youtube. Fanfare for the Common Man, some of The Planets, 1812 Overture, etc…

• Pat D says:

IT’S EPIC!!!

It’s not like I suggested Night on Bald Mountain.

Oh, wait, I did that the other day.

• forensic says:

heh, true. Though that was in Fantasia, for what it’s worth.

Pictures at an Exhibition is another pretty good one from Mussorgsky.

• Pat D says:

Fantasia is essential, both as a movie and as a collection of music.

Fantasia 2000, not quite as much, though it still has its moments.

• Bo Knows says:

“Somewhere over the Rainbow” the Israel Kamakawiwo’ole version

37. Get Phelps Up says:

How about a run here, a scoreless top of the 5th and then a never ending rain shower.

38. Anderson Silva says:

Why are they playing on this kind of weather? Someone is going to get hurt

39. Frank says:

Playing under these conditions is just ridiculous.

40. Frank says:

About time

41. Pat D says:

IT’S A TARP!

42. Kramerica Industries says:

Aaaaaaaaaardsma has a 2.35 ERA and .196 BAA?

Cashman failed.

43. sangreal says:

What a waste of Kuroda. Can’t imagine he will be back out after the delay, especially considering he was already sitting beforehand.

44. Bo Knows says:

so I just got online to check gameday, I see Cano has walked 2 today….I hope a certain someone is deciding how he’s going to eat his hat.

May i recommend eating it with fava beans and a nice chianti if he’s feeling fancy.

• Pat D says:

(runs away absolutely terrified)

• Pseudoyanks says:

I gotta say I was all over him eating his hat and then I saw the picture of him in the hat in question. If it was a straw hat, sure what the hell, share it with your horse on a hot summer day. But THAT hat?? It looks toxic. I’m now voting no on the hat eating derby. I don’t want RAB to get sued by his family and go out of business.

45. trr says:

Dontcha get the feeling this gonna be one of those games we score 1 run on 4 hits and lose 2-1?
    Scott Diamond (an obvious alias) is hardly a good pitcher and we can barely get the ball out of the infield against him

46. dkidd says:

cosart dominating tampa

/no jinxes

47. Wheels says:

The tarp is off.

48. Kramerica Industries says:

I will entirely flip my shit if the Rays win tonight when they already hit into the 27th out, only for it to be entirely flubbed.

49. Jacob the OG says:

Crazy stat is Miggy has a wRC+ over 200 and a wOBA of .476

50. Wheels says:

Set to resume at 9:55

51. The Real Greg says:

Unless one of the teams score, I think there might be a double header tomorrow.

52. The Real Greg says:

And I am FLOORED that Kuroda is out there.

53. Rolling Doughnut says:

Kuroda? He must have thrown in between. But still 72+ pitches. Strange

54. Kramerica Industries says:

Really hoping Kuroda staying out there doesn’t become a very bad idea.

55. The Real Greg says:

That might have been a triple if Gardner does not catch that. Nice play.

56. Wheels says:

I wonder if Kuroda comes out for the 6th.

57. The Real Greg says:

EAT THE HAT!

62. Wheels says:

Wat to go Robbie

63. The Real Greg says:

And Ron Gardenhire continues to let Cano beat him

64. SDB says:

I didn’t expect they would seriously pitch to him. So no closer to a hat eating, but there’s a crooked number up there. I’ll take it.

65. forensic says:

AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Gardenhire is still pitching to Cano. That’s amazing.

66. Wheels says:

Good call taking Kuroda out.

67. nsalem says:

When you can throw 3 pitches for strikes and have a 95 mph fastball shouldn’t you be a starter.

Ask Joba…

/beatingadeadhorse

• nsalem says:

Well he’ll get his chance next year, because I think someone will give him the opportunity (probably on the VERY cheap), but Joba will take it. The Yankee haven’t been of any help for his career, but it must be acknowledged that he hasn’t helped himself either. I think his Yankee days are coming to a close. I wish him the best and hopefully its in the NL.

68. The Real Greg says:

What a throw

69. Wheels says:

dang, nice throw

70. Rolling Doughnut says:

OK the throw was amazing but still kind of a dumb move Vern.

• nsalem says:

Strongly disagree. I don’t think you can anticipate that kind of throw. Did you actually think he had a chance of getting thrown out on that.

71. McLovin says:

Holy shit.

72. The Real Greg says:

Shawn Kelley threw an 1.1 innings yesterday which is why Logan is up.

Otherwise, Kelley would be in there.

73. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Oh man I just realized they’re within striking distance of getting Greg his meaningless close shutout. I can’t tell whether to root for it to happen or not.

74. Wheels says:

crap Claiborne

75. your mom says:

I will flip my shit if the Twins take the lead.

76. Kramerica Industries says:

Well, lets hope this doesn’t get too bad. If this inning can be negotiated, the Yankees will be in good shape. But this can get pretty dicey…

77. nsalem says:

Maybe this is where Robertson should be pitching.

78. Rolling Doughnut says:

Rain this mother out before Logan shits the bed.

79. nsalem says:

as opposed to him being married to the 8th.

80. Robinson Tilapia says:

Joba’s pure assness this season has made for the seventh inning to be quite the adventure, hasn’t it?

81. Rolling Doughnut says:

Boonie figured fuck it, the Twins suck I’ll move em over myself.

82. Robinson Tilapia says:

Chris Stewart: Dumbfuck.

83. The Real Greg says:

What a pitch by Boone Logan

84. nsalem says:

so far so good Boone

85. Wheels says:

Whew, jeez…

86. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

So. Opening night of Godspell was just incredible. Better than I could possibly have hoped for. We got 92 people to show up. That doesn’t sound like a lot, but that means we earned over 900 dollars in one night. The audience was absolutely amazing, the show itself was wonderful…all worth it. All of it.

I just felt the need to share this with you guys.

87. The Real Greg says:

COOKIES FOR ALL!

88. Robinson Tilapia says:

That reminds me of a racquetball game I once played.

89. Wheels says:

attaboy Logan

90. SDB says:

Wow, Boone. Just wow.

Couldn’t have predicted that!

91. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Great job by Boone.

92. Robinson Tilapia says:

Could have done without half of that, but nice job, Boonie.

93. The Real Greg says:

And Ibanez just hit his 23rd homer of the year of Jerome Williams to go along with an RBI double.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Good for him. Hell of a nice guy and good player.

• Pat D says:

Yep, a 36th round draft pick who didn’t become even a platoon player until age 29 who’s going to finish with over 1000 R, 1000 RBI, 2000 H and 300 HR.

Not HOF numbers, of course, but a pretty damn good career overall.

94. your mom says:

The Twins apparently make everyone on our team better.

95. RetroRob says:

I wonder how far we’ll get into 2014 when fans start moaning that the Yankees never should have let Logan leave!

96. Wheels says:

Did Morneau go? I say no

97. Lukaszek says:

The strike zone must be on steroids, it sure is big tonight

98. Rolling Doughnut says:

I really thought Boonie was going to give up the inherited runs. Then he strikes out the side. Nice.

99. forensic says:

It’s really annoying listening to John and Suzyn bitch around rain delays and the possibility of there being another one because they have to be back in the morning to call another one.

Get over yourselves, I, and many others, would love to have your job.

100. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Holy shit. Michael Kay thinks wins are a good statistic. And he thinks it’s “sabermetricians” who disagree with this.

He has just moved from, in my eyes, “meh” status to “are you fucking kidding me” status.

• Pat D says:

Brian Kenny are Harold Reynolds had a similar discussion this afternoon.

Kenny said that it’s likely Matt Moore got the ASG replacement slot over Kuroda simply because of the W totals even though Kuroda has a superior ERA.

Reynolds, predictably, said “Yea, but wins are important.”

Kenny retorted with, “Yea, team wins!”

• Pat D says:

Kay did have a good point when he just said, “We pay off on wins.” That’s definitely true.

But he also says that Seaver was somehow magically better with low run support? Sounds like mistaking process with results, to me.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Wait, not sure what he’s saying there. We pay off on wins? What does that mean, exactly?

• Pat D says:

Guys get big contracts based on win totals. This is still probably true.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

True. And that is dumb.

Wins are sort of kind of useful in the sense that if you have a lot of them in one season you’re PROBABlY an above average pitcher that year, and if you have a lot of wins over your career as a whole the odds are you’re pretty good. If you’ve won 300 games there’s a reason you’ve lasted that long and held leads that often.

For anything else, they’re shit.

• ClusterDuck says:

He’s saying wins are still the bottom line in a game.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Well, yea. Team wins.

• ClusterDuck says:

Well yea of course teams win games. I don’t think anybody is disagreeing with that.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

So his point is still stupid. Pitcher wins aren’t the bottom line of anything. Team wins are.

• ClusterDuck says:

He wasn’t saying that team wins aren’t the bottom line.

He was saying that pitchers pitching to the scoreboard and a team win is the bottom line for a pitcher.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Pitching to the scoreboard is so dumb. Pitchers don’t decide to pitch worse when they’re winning.

Yes, I understand challenging guys more. But if it’s making a noticeable uptick in your ERA or other stats, you’re not doing badly on purpose.

Think about: Say you’re winning four nothing, so a pitcher “pitches to the score” and makes it 4-3. Do you really think they intentionally didn’t care about making it a one run as opposed to a 4 run game? Or do they just have a special ability to never ever give up that final home run?

It’s totally nonsensical.

101. Michael Kay says:

Cone talkin’ crazy shit.

102. forensic says:

Brandon Jacobs for Matt Thornton?

Guess the White Sox figure their offense is so terrible they might as well just get a running back and try to run over the fielders covering the bases.

103. Robinson Tilapia says:

I’m not a fancy sabremetric guy. Kay’s diatribe here makes me feel like Nate Silver.

• nsalem says:

Kay has a point in believing that W’s do have a measure of validity in rating performance. He is just not expressing it very well.

104. nsalem says:

Ichiro should get some nice pitches here.

105. RetroRob says:

Yes. At this point they would take Scherzer over Shields.

106. nsalem says:

This team is looking to put Cano up in a big spot.

107. Kramerica Industries says:

This weather is just nuts.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

The worst part is that it’s still fucking humid.

• Kramerica Industries says:

As a present Floridian, I can sympathize. Nothing worse than the days where it rains hard (and I mean HARD) for a good 15-20 minutes, and within an hour, the sun is back out and blue skies abound.

Holy hell. Fish could literally survive on dry land because of the humidity.

108. Robinson Tilapia says:

Kay half-making the Greg argument. I hope Jodi punches him in the nuts when he gets home and force-feeds him mayonnaise.

109. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Tell you what: You’ll sell me on wins when you can give me an argument that can’t be completely rebutted with “Pitchers don’t win games on their own”.

• The Real Greg says:

Well actually they can if they are in the NL and hit a solo home run for a 1-0 victory,

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

…I was going to write a response to this, but getting sucked into the black hole that is Greg-logic isn’t worth it. I really shouldn’t feed the trolls.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

Greg is right although the probability of this occurring is pretty close to zero. You should just modify your challenge thusly: You’ll sell me on wins when you can give me a REASONABLE argument that can’t be completely rebutted with “Pitchers don’t win games on their own”.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Yeah well, I’m cool with awarding wins to pitchers who pitch complete game shutouts, score their teams only run via homer, and get 27 strikeouts.

• The Real Greg says:

Well of course it’s not probable or even remotely likely.

But it’s possible.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Right, so like I just said. I was being serious with my last comment. I mean, it’s not going to happen, but if it does, go ahead, give him a win if you want to.

• Mike Axisa says:

Even then you need a catcher to catch the strikeouts. 27 putouts (pop flies? grounders and a tag?) would be truly perfect.

• forensic says:

Perfect game, 27 strikeouts, pitcher hits a homer for his team’s only baserunner of the game.

:-)

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

At least you’re not being serious when you say this.

• forensic says:

Well, it’s amazingly likely, but it is an argument. He won it with no help from his fielders or the rest of his offense.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Fair enough. We should award wins to all pitchers who strike out 27 batters and get the team’s only run via homer. I’d be down with that. Of course, they still suck for every other game.

*unlikely

typo’s continuing…

110. Kramerica Industries says:

I’ve really grown quite weary today, watching this game.

• nsalem says:

The chances of seeing Mariano pitch again are growing very limited. That is the only reason I am awake right now.

111. The Real Greg says:

This could be the day!

• Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

But they still won’t have a 1-0 shutout. Which means… something.

• The Real Greg says:

Well actually they already have had a 2-0 shutout against Seattle this year. But that was a while ago

• Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Huh? When was that?

• Kramerica Industries says:

Did they? jeez, when was that? They didn’t get a shutout in the W at the Stadium, and they gave up runs in all three W’s at Safeco.

There was the 5-0 win over Toronto. 3-0 over Baltimore. And the, umm, well, uhh, “when the hell was that?”…

• Kramerica Industries says:

I mean, I think they do have another SO win or two mixed in there, I’m just far too tired of this game to remember when any of those were.

• The Real Greg says:

Again, I have to correct myself. They beat the M’s 2-1 on June 9,

That was the Chris Stewart RBI single in the 9th game.

112. Pat D says:

The problem is that pitcher wins were created as a statistic in the first place. They had meaning back in the day when starters pitched complete games or almost complete games routinely. When guys pitched over 200 innings as a habit, when guys pitched 300 innings.

But that era ended with the rise of the closer and the specialized bullpens, so that means basically the last 30-35 years.

The problem is that most people didn’t realize this and still treated them like the most important statistic.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

Right. And even so, although the W or L is assigned to the pitcher, the game’s outcome is really a shared responsibility and depends on several, if not many factors. That is why Kay is wrong.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Perhaps. I still can’t imagine a world without them. I think they have less meaning than what’s ascribed to them, but they’re not meaningless.

113. RetroRob says:

I agree that pitcher wins are luck dependent, yet I would never want to eliminate the stat. For one, debate is a good marketing tool for the game. Yet more importantly,if pitcher wins were eliminated, it would lead to an entire restructuring of pitching staffs and how pitchers are used, just as the Save rule changed how closers were used. We’d probably see a 15-man pitching staff with guys being yanked very early, more power pitchers groomed to go two/three innings at a clip. Basically what we see at the end of the game would become the entire game. More strike outs, etc. Don’t want to see it.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Somebody on Yahoo just wrote an article where he argued for starters that only went 3-4 innings. I think there are a lot of problems with that, though. I’d go into them but Hell, I’m tired.

• Kramerica Industries says:

“In a la Russa World”

• Pat D says:

I saw that article, but it might not have been on Yahoo. I can’t remember.

I think that there might be a negative adjustment period for guys transitioning to that system, and I think managers would find a way to fuck up such a system.

114. RetroRob says:

Has Mo pitched since his blown save?

115. nsalem says:

He looks very fresh tonight

116. The Real Greg says:

THERE IT IS!!!!

117. Wheels says:

8 pitches, very nice Mo

118. Pseudoyanks says:

Motastic.

119. Kramerica Industries says:

Well, it’s a W.

Still two more to get this weekend.

120. Rolling Doughnut says:

Mo em down. Man I love the Twinkies.

121. forensic says:

Nice win, hopefully two more of them too before the ASB.