Jul

Game 97: Just Win

(Jared Wickerham/Getty)

(Jared Wickerham/Getty)

This seven-game series is the most important stretch of the season (to date), and things got off to a rocky start with last night’s series opening loss to the Red Sox. The Yankees are seven back of first place in the AL East for the first time since 2008 — not coincidentally, they also have their worst record after 96 games since that playoffs-less season as well — so at this point they have to focus on getting into a wildcard spot. They can get greedy and shoot for the AL East after that. Here’s the starting lineup that will face right-hander John Lackey:

1. CF Brett Gardner
  2. RF Ichiro Suzuki
  3. 2B Robinson Cano
  4. 1B Lyle Overbay
  5. LF Vernon Wells
  6. DH Travis Hafner
  7. SS Eduardo Nunez
  8. C Chris Stewart
  9. 3B Luis Cruz

And on the mound is right-hander Hiroki Kuroda, who invoked his no-trade clause to block a deal to the Red Sox at the 2011 trade deadline. He was a True Yankee™ even before he wore the pinstripes.

It’s hot and humid in Boston, and there is a chance of showers later this evening. That might be a factor if they go to extra innings or if this one lasts as long a typical Yankees-Red Sox game from like, 1997-2011. First pitch is scheduled for a little after 4pm ET and can be seen on FOX. Enjoy.

Injury Updates: Derek Jeter (quad) has started riding a bike and is receiving treatment … David Phelps (forearm) threw a lengthy bullpen session earlier this week and will make a rehab start on Tuesday. Brian Cashman confirmed he won’t automatically re-enter the rotation when healthy … Jayson Nix (hamstring) will begin a rehab assignment soon … Frankie Cervelli (hand, elbow) has started throwing again.

Rotation Updates: Ivan Nova will start on Monday against the Rangers while Phil Hughes will follow on Tuesday … the Red Sox pushed Jon Lester back due to “wear and tear,” so Ryan Dempster will start tomorrow’s series finale instead.

Update (3:46pm): The start of the game will be delayed due to the threat of rain. No word on a start time just yet.

Update (3:55pm): First pitch is scheduled for 4:25pm ET.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Ethan says:

Can anyone find out the Yankees’ record on fox saturday games for the last 5 years and the last 10 years?

2. CONservative governMENt says:

Hopefully Hughes is traded before that Tuesday start.

3. ExitCashman says:

Don’t give Hiroki a True Yankee tag. It’s a ticket out. Cashman dumped Matsui, Posada and Ibanez who also earned the distinction.

He also played hard ball with the ultimate True Yankee, Jeter, in contract negotiations. Now why the hell doesn’t he do that with folks like Burnett (who we’re still paying) Pavano, Igawa, Marte, Feliciano, Tex, Youk, etc.?

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

He dumped Posada?
      Pretty sure Posada retired because nobody wanted him. Should they keep former Yankees forever just because they’re True Yankees?
      Jeter got a well above market value contract.
      AJ got market value. So did Pavano. So did Tex (maybe slightly over)

• Pat D says:

I hereby declare you a TrueYankee(TM).

Now here’s your one-way ticket to the LoHud boards.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I sure hope you’re impressed with yourself, at least.

• Pa Poo says:

Po-Po quit on his team, remember?

4. mike c says:

brady anderson is such a tool… according to him a-rod wasn’t hurt at the end of last year and he simply just can’t hit a 90 mph fastball anymore. f’n tool

• trr says:

and they used the surgery/rehab as a cover-up, right?
      well, nobody ever accused these guys of being geniuses.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Brady’s just pissed that the steroids only gave him one good year, instead of a HoF career.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

When guys with average pop suddenly hit 50 HRs a season: The Brady Anderson story.

If Alex Rodriguez has to serve a suspension, Brady Anderson should be beaten right off of television for 20 years.

• Pat D says:

Wait a second, Brady Anderson gets paid to be an analyst by somebody?

5. trr says:

with Kuroda pitching, this is the Yanks best chance to steal a game this series. but that lineup is as feeble as ever, the bench a mockery…

6. Eddard says:

It’s not Just win anymore, it’s Must win. If they get swept they might as well start looking at selling what they can at the deadline. Today is their best chance at a win with Kuroda on the mound and facing a righty. CC vs Lester is not a good match up for NY.

7. ExitCashman says:

What’s up with Brennan Boesch? To get released, after signing a $1.5 million major league contract, by this team, he must be: 1) Seriously injured or 2) Have an attitude akin to Jordany Valdespin.
    That move is hard to figure out unless one of these things applies.

• Pat D says:

Do you even bother to read what’s posted on this site? Sometimes I wonder.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

1) He’s not very good (essentially replacement level for his career)
      2) He’s injured and of no use right now
      3) They needed a roster spot
      4) The contract was a split contract, he was making $500K in the minors

• ExitCashman says:

Agent says he’ll be ready in August. That’s no different than Grandy, Cervelli, and he’s young enough to have a future with the team.
        There are others who could be cut, and I thought the Yankees signed him because they thought he was quite good compared to the other OF they had (including Mesa, Neal and Almonte).
        Thanks for the clarification on the contract.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Right. He’ll be ready when they’ll likely have Granderson and/or Almonte back, making him unneeded.
          Quite good is probably an overstatement. They signed him because Granderson was hurt and he was a low cost flyer.
          28 years old, career below average hitter in 1540 PA’s, horrible defender, slow baserunner. If he had a future beyond temporary injury replacement with the team, the Yankees have bigger problems. Probably not worth what he’d make in arbitration, so he’d be a non-tender candidate in the offseason anyways.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yes, he’s young enough to have a future watching balls slowly roll by him in the outfield while having occasional pop off the bench. Oh, we have to keep THAT guy. How silly.

Just because the alternatives aren’t any good either doesn’t mean he’s Willie Mays.

• Pat D says:

Or even Willie Mays Hays.

• Duh Injuries says:

Yeah because Melky “Strikeout Machine” Mesa and Thomas “Real Deal” Neal are sooooo much better than a guy with power who isn’t even 30 yet, ok.

Where do you come up with this crap?

I’d rather have Boesch in Yankee pinstripes right now than Mesa or Neal. His “occasional pop off the bench” > no pop off the bench from Meal (Mesa + Neal) or Messy Meal (if these two likely suck ass.)

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

He’s probably better than Neal, but that doesn’t do much good right now, since he’s hurt and all.
              Mesa has power as well. And can actually run and play defense.
              All are under 30. Boesch is the oldest, and most expensive, of the 3.
              Bottom line – they all suck. Makes more sense to keep the ones actually healthy enough to contribute. There’s a strong chance none are on the 40-man roster next season.

• Pat D says:

Where exactly did he imply that Mesa or Neal were better? All he said was Boesch was nothing special, and that was without considering his current injury.

For someone whose “last name” is “Injuries,” I would have thought you’d be more knowledgeable about them.

8. Roadgeek Adam says:

If anything, baseball fans get to see 2 and an iota of a baseball games since Mets are still going and FOX is playing Reds/Pirates.

9. Snuke Swanky says:

Watched last night’s game this morning. That 8th inning really underscores everything that’s gone wrong with this team.

Still think they’re better off buying at this point. All it’s gonna take is 2 or 3 offensive upgrades (which can be made, but needs to happen very quickly).

Anyone who thinks they should sell needs to be prepared to trade Cano.

• I’m on the buy list, by far. There is no reason to sell, especially this season in baseball, where you can be 10 back and still come back. It’s not impossible.

• Snuke Swanky says:

I just can’t see anything of value coming back unless it’s a trade that involves Cano (or Kuroda).

10. I thought Joe Buck was supposed to be here today. I’d rather have him up there than Tim McCenile.

11. dkidd says:

jennings
    zobrist
    longoria
    myers
    loney
    scott

does tampa have enough offense to take the division?

12. Rolling Doughnut says:

30 seconds into it and The Fox Sox ball-licking is already starting. I’ll be watching this one with the sound off.

13. WhittakerWalt says:

And here we go with Papa Yankee making excuses for Pettitte’s pitching from last night.
    “In my mind he only gave up 3 runs last night”

Every damn time with this team.
    “They didn’t really give up those runs”
    YES THEY DID.

14. Winter says:

Oh god, I’m glad he’s safe, but don’t slide into first.

15. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Please stop with the dumb ass slides.

16. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Of course.

17. Robinson Tilapia says:

How the fuck? OK. That was awesome by Iglesias. The reflexes needed to make that work. Wow.

18. David N says:

Well that was a buzzkill.

19. fabricio says:

dam it ichiro

20. 28 this year says:

Lol, story of the season.

21. Highway robbery. At least contact is being made.

22. Winter says:

Guys, does Iglesias have quick hands? The FOX broadcast hasn’t really made that clear.

• Alkaline2.0 says:

So I heard that Boston SS might have some quick hands. Further studies are necessary before confirmation, however.

• David N says:

So glad John and Suzyn are providing my commentary for this one instead of Buck and McCarver.

• Winter says:

Buck’s not there (not sure why), but since you’re not listening to FOX I should probably tell you that “Iglesias” has four syllables but “Jose” only has two. It’s an incredibly important detail you might not get if you’re not listening to FOX.

• David N says:

Hopefully Buck doesn’t come back. That would solve 1/3 of that problem.

Though it sounds like the replacement might not be that much better.

23. Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s not four syllables to say his name. “-sias” needs to roll off the tongue as one syllable.

I appreciate the attempt at a Spanish lesson, though.

24. Manny's BanWagon says:

Seems a little odd to me that the Sox would have Iglesias at 3rd and Drew at SS.

I would think you’d want the far better defender with much more range at SS

25. Can you shout any louder Kenny Albert? It sounded nuts.

26. Winter says:

Just get this batter, Hiroki. Just get through the first.

27. Vernon Wells got the umpire confused I sense.

28. Alkaline2.0 says:

I would have died if Nava fell onto his face.

29. Manny's BanWagon says:

Pretty stupid pitching to Papi with a base open. Lucky Nava stumbled around 3rd base.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

Even with the stumble, and Wells’ shitty throw, Nava would have been out,left field at Fenway is shallow

30. Robinson Tilapia says:

That was such bad base-running by Nava the Yanks just hired him to coach third base.

*cha-ching*

31. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

Nava is a joke

32. Ken says:

Time to sell.

Trade Cano for a kings ransom in young major league talent and minor leaguers.

Trade Tex, and Joba to Braves for BJ Upton

Trade Kuroda for a Zach Greinke-like package

AROD can’t be traded so we will keep him, or let him be suspended.

Release Youk, sh*t bum.

Trade Grandy, Hughes for Trumbo

We need young talent! Let Jeter sit out this year and come back full strength next year.

Entertain CC trades for young talent and/or bundling with bad contracts.

• Rick says:

Why would you ever want BJ Upton? That guy has declined consistently for the last 3 years.

Also, how badly it hurt when you fell off your rocker?

• B.J. Upton? Really?! Dude isn’t worth the contract he’s got.

Mark Trumbo needs to show consistency.

Not Youk’s fault his back went out.

Never trade Cano.

• ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

The way BJ has played I’d rather give up a little more and get Justin. Otherwise sounds good.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

This is the type of stuff I would propose when I was about 12 and tried to call into Art Russ Jr’s radio show. I only got on once.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Old school, baby.

770 am if I remember correctly.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yup. Oh, and I tried. That was after-school every day. We’d either try to get on Magic Matt Allan on Z100 (which we did, many times) or Russ.

I remember when I did get on. I suggested that Scott Nielsen could replace Righetti as closer. It really was the kind of thing you’d roll your eyes at if RAB were around there.

I remember him being nice to me, asking me how old I was, and thanking me for calling.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

These kids don’t know what it was like trying to get sports info before ESPN, WFAN and the Internet.

• Pat D says:

I do! It was box scores in The Star Ledger. And waiting for every Sunday’s issue to see the full list of batting averages.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Fantasy baseball was a bitch to do manually with box scores. I poured over the daily news in those days.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yeah, but the drafts were so much more fun.

My friend once picked Chet Lemon three years after he retired.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

You only heard of prospects:

1. In September.
              2. When someone got injured
              3. Whey they got traded
              4. In the “On the Way Up” section of the yearbook.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Once in a while a beat writer would do a article about the farms. I’d read it like a million time. That and the sporting news.

Right around this time of year I’d be buying every NFL preview magazine I could get my hands on too.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

I think it was Art Rust Jr

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

1)You’ll get some talent back. Not sure about a king’s ransom for 2 months of Cano.
      2) Braves laugh. They have a better, cheaper 1B.
      3) Kuroda’s may or may not waive his NTC.
      4) yep
      5) DL or release. No difference.
      6) Angels laugh.

• Pat D says:

This is remarkably similar to some of DI’s trade proposals from the last year.

Do you guys share agents?

33. Rick says:

LOverbay served his purpose. I’m not pining for Morneau. Though he’s not longer what he once was, his name alone would provide better protection for Cano.

34. Manny's BanWagon says:

I gotta say I’m shocked at how well Lackey has pitched this year.

35. WhittakerWalt says:

Hafner’s ABs are about as un-suspenseful as you’ll ever see.

36. Eddard says:

The old Nuney is back, folks. He’s turned the corner since getting fully healthy. Now drive them home.

37. Bah. If Vernon Wells were only 100 lbs lighter.

38. Manny's BanWagon says:

Way to fuck it up Stewie.

He better be framing a Picasso for Kuroda.

39. Winter says:

Am I the only one who’s surprised by how much Hafner’s sucked this year? His problem had always been staying on the field, he’d never had trouble mashing when he was healthy. This year it’s been the opposite.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Yeah, I thought he’d hit if could stay healthy too.

Surprised he’s sucked this bad.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I thought he was pretty done in ST. He actually won me over in April. I have no clue whether than means I’m surprised right now or not.

40. Dan says:

I think Stewart is my least favorite Yankee ever.

• ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

Sal Fasano? Carl Pavano? Kei Igawa? Nick Johnson the second time? Javier Vasquez? Esteban Loaiza?

• Winter says:

Who doesn’t like Sal Fasano?

• Pat D says:

Mel Hall? Buddy Groom? Jeff Weaver? Jose Contreras? Kenny Rogers? Ruben Sierra, the first time? Armando Benitez? Terry Mulholland? Xavier Hernandez?

• Dan says:

Sal Fasano had killer facial hair.
        Those other guys are easy to hate. This guy is a 3rd string back up or a 2nd stringer for a AAA team. He not only starts most games for the NYY, but he regularly receives high praise from Joe Giradi.

• Winter says:

What’s Girardi gonna say “yeah, you’re right, he sucks”? He’s got to support his player, even when his player isn’t that good.

• Dan says:

Than why don’t we hear the same level of praise for other players who aren’t very good? Even one’s that are decent don’t get praised as highly or as often as Stewart. I thought most people had agreed that Girardi had an irrational love for and attachment to Chris Stewart.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

There will never, ever be someone on this team who I despise more than I did Esteban Loaiza. Ever.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

I kind of felt bad for him. His arm was never the same after throwing a million cutters his one good year with the White Sox.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It was two things:

1. It was right in the middle in me feeling a ton of Cuban pride about Contreras, his being able to bring his family over and watching him at the stadium, etc. I was pretty pissed about trading him.

2. Loiaza just looked like a tool. Some guys just should never wear pinstripes.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Contreras had a decent career. I blame the Yankees not being able to get the best out of him like don cooper did in Chicago.

• ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

I’ll second that one

• ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

Pants Lendleton?! Pedro Feliciano? Morgan Ensberg for a portion of Spring Training? Chuck Knoblauch (the end)?

41. WhittakerWalt says:

Sterling just floated the idea that Lackey was intentionally pitching around Stewart.

#cantmakethisshitup

42. Ken says:

Glad I amuse you guys. I agree some of this is far fetched, but it’s time for a shakeup. Hughes and Joba will go. They need to decide on Cano and Grandy. I love Cano, but do we really want to pay him 200+ million?

Maybe we can trade a jabroni minor leaguer for Jesus Montero?

• ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

If they ever get Montero back there will not be happier person than me

• Pat D says:

At least you admit it’s farfetched.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I have no clue how I feel about Cano. He probably could fleece me for that sort of money if I were running things, I’ll be honest.

Hughes and Joba “may” go. There’s no reason to trade them if you’re not getting a return that’s going to offer something back.

With Montero, it’s very possible he’ll be facing a 50-game suspicion and, if this early in his career, he’s already exposed as a PED user, then what kind of player really is Jesus Montero? It’s a fair question. Yes, though, I’d stick Scottie Allen in a box and send him to Seattle for him. Sure. Seattle wouldn’t…..yet.

• I’m not paying Cano any less than $219MM over 7 years. He needs to stay here, and any less is garbage.

Is it a budget questionable deal? Yes. Is it worth it? In my opinion, definitely.

43. That’s something I wish we’d do more, letting umpires have mics. I’d like to hear more of them to be honest.

(Of course more ways to give crap to ones like Angel Hernandez, Marty Foster, Adrian Johnson ,you name it. )

44. Robinson Tilapia says:

How many people would ever think that exchange between Gardner and Welke would have happened?

Just goes to show that, in the end, none of us really know jack shit about what goes on during a game.

45. Robinson Tilapia says:

Hey, what’s the deal with that kid with both the Yankee and Sox hats?

46. Manny's BanWagon says:

Kuroda needs to do well today to balance out Cole Hamels shitting the bed against the Mets of all teams for my fantasy team.

47. Roadgeek Adam says:

That kid can sure hit for the Sox, Go Bosox.

48. Manny's BanWagon says:

If dez Jankees wins and makes dee playoffs my taco stand gives dee free taco dinners to my amigos here. Si

49. Mwaha says:

Is Robbie gona be the first platoon player to get a 200mill deal?

50. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

Handle jacking is the least necessary thing

51. Robinson Tilapia says:

Si, If the Jankees makes the playoffs, me and my new business partner Manny are giving away free taco dinners from our growing stand.

52. Dan says:

Make mine a burrito please, Tacos give me gas.

53. Roadgeek Adam says:

I can’t stay the whole game, my BF is coming home soon and wants me to get the whip and spikes out for a Late Nooner..

54. Ken says:

Least favorite Yankees:
    1- Carl Pavano
    1a- Kevin Youkilis

55. Snuke Swanky says:

Tampa Bay is going to win this division.

56. Roadgeek Adam says:

Anyone know the Bombers record on afternoon FOX games the last few seasons??

57. As Nunez loses his helmet again.

58. Eddard says:

2/2! They might consider moving Nuney back up to that 2 hole to split up the lefties and lengthen the lineup. It’s very clear that the Eduardo Nuney of old is back.

59. Eddard says:

He’s a sparkplug. Now bunt him over to 3rd and sac fly him home.

60. Roadgeek Adam says:

cAN’T sCORE FROM 3RD Wrahahahahahaaaaaaaaaahahahaahaaaaaaaa

61. Cy Pettitte says:

this offense is just unreal. can’t help but laugh.

62. Art Vandelay says:

I post on the Yesnetwork forums so I have more say then most here.

This team will be just fine they are gonna win the net 7 outta 10.

63. Eddard says:

So desperate to score a run they send Nuney on contact. Hiroki is going to lose another game giving up 0 runs.

64. Roadgeek Adam says:

The Yankees Score like mylast few date nights, Not much.

65. Rolling Doughnut says:

Even when Nuñez gets a hit, he manages to fuck up. The infield was in ffsake.

66. Over 1600 HRs on the DL? Yikes.

That will subtract by 631 Monday, but still 1st on that list.

67. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

WHAT IS A LEAD AND HOW DO YOU SECURE ONE

68. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Gardy!

69. Eddard says:

There’s Hiroki’s run! He’ll have to win 1-0.

70. Hats on deck says:

Any reason why lillibridge isn’t starting? Cruz hasn’t shown any ability to hit the ball at least Lillibridge was hitting in triple a. I’d rather him get a shot.

71. Winter says:

I’d love to see Gardner steal here.

72. Manny's BanWagon says:

Looked like the pedophiles brother could have caught that if he wasnt a primordial dwarf

73. Ethan says:

So happy pedroia didn’t catch that otherwise we’d never stop hearing about how amazing he is.

74. HateMclouth (formerly I'mVernon) says:

There is your lead, Kuroda.

75. Anyway, I have to go run errands.

If anyone posts under my name from this point, its the troll not the actual person.

Also, yay for Gardner.

76. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

Between Jeter, A-Rod, Teix, and Grandy thats 1440 career homers if my addition is right. Where are the other 200 on the DL?

77. Tyrone Sharpton says:

when’s the trade deadline? i wonder how much a dunn or ibanez would cost

78. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Got lucky Stewie.

79. David N says:

Exhale.

80. Eddard says:

What a play by Stewie! Defensive catcher saves the ballgame.

81. Rick says:

Wow Mike Crap is slow. I could’ve dropped a deuce by the time he got down the line.

82. ropeadope says:

Intentional wild pitch for the final out!

/jk

83. Pasta says:

Defensive catcher my ass
    The chris stewart era is one of the worst in yankee backstops since jim leyritz

84. fabricio says:

can we please bench Wells he sucks sooooo much!!!!!

85. WhittakerWalt says:

Wells just looks absolutely helpless. Anyone who has to cheat that much with their swing is just DONE as a big leaguer.

86. Meeks54 says:

Damn you Vernon Wells

87. fabricio says:

can we get a replacement for Hafner also

88. Pasta says:

At this point instead of wells id rather they bring up slade and make him everyday lfer. Hes young but he can hit.

89. WhittakerWalt says:

Does anyone really think the final score will be 1-0?

• Eddard says:

If the Yankees are to win that will have to be the score. But watch Hiroki leave 1-0 and then they lose the game 2-1 again.

90. Cy Pettitte says:

I don’t understand how Hafner can be this bad, he has to be hurt still

91. Eddard says:

DFA Hafner already. He’s a black hole between Overbay and Nuney. He didn’t even give Nuney a chance there to hit with RISP.

92. Dicka24 says:

As a hitter how can you not just hit that ball back up the middle, or in the direction of where the SS should be? That’s an important run at 2B. A soft swing up the middle.

93. WhittakerWalt says:

Cano tried to get cute there.

94. Rolling Doughnut says:

Robbie c’mon.

95. OldYanksFan says:

LAZY!

96. Pasta says:

Can someone tell me why Gary Sanchez is not going to AA ball this year? Tampa is in a pitchers league ,he is young but he would be able to hit better in trenton.

97. Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

I have a bar-room bet going — Has McCarver mentioned 2004 yet?

98. Dann says:

Anyone else think that Roadgeek dude is a moron, and isn’t it fnny there doesn’t seem to be anymore Trolling since he left here.

99. Pasta says:

Good point..

100. ExitCashman says:

Youk 2013 = Nick Johnson 2010

Pronk 2013 = Ken Phelps 1989

We can do better.

101. Cy Pettitte says:

Erik Boland@eboland11
    According to Yankees, A-Rod moved to DH from third tonight because of left quad tightness

didn’t even get his 4 ABs in the big leagues before he got hurt again

102. Dann says:

Didnt the dude just say he was leaving to go somewhere, yet he jst posted a nasty remark, loser.

103. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Eduardo having himself a game.

104. Eddard says:

Is there any doubt now that Eduardo Nuney is back to his old self? 3/3, SB. If him and Overbay had hit back to back they’d have 3 runs instead of 1. Hafner needs to be DFA’d. Nuney moved up to the 2 hole.

105. Eddard says:

Now bunt Nuney over and sac fly him home.

106. Roadgeek Adam says:

All your moms are pinboys at the local bowling alley.

107. Robinson Tilapia says:

Dr. Tilapia on Alex’s quad: “Maybe Derek gave him an STD.”

108. Eddard says:

Lineup tomorrow-

Gardner
    Nuney
    Cano
    Overbay
    Ichiro
    Wells
    Neal
    Stewie
    Cruz

Hafner DFA’d after tonight’s game.

109. Roadgeek Adam says:

I have to admit a hankering when I look at Gardners tight butt , And it’s really me.

110. Manny S says:

I am beginning to like the Troll Adam alot better than the regular.

111. Robinson Tilapia says:

Alright. Too much of this fake name nonsense. Enjoy the rest of the game, everyone.

112. Rick says:

Atta buck Bobinson

113. Eddard says:

An offensive surge! All started by Eduardo Nuney.

114. Cy Pettitte says:

wow, 3 runs? an embarrassment of riches

115. Rick says:

LOverbay is making me eat the hat in Ben’s pic

116. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

4 runs?
    Unpossible.

117. Dann says:

Thorton throws hard but very strait. What did the sox give for him we could get the same for Joba

118. Meeks54 says:

Nice inning there, finally Kuroda gets some support.

119. Revan says:

If Ortiz makes the hall of fame, I volunteer to blow that place up to make a new one.

120. Dann says:

Crap is up again
    Time to drop a duece

• Rick says:

Haha, the true slip before. He should’ve been (was) gunned at second if Bobinson takes his head out of his rear today.

121. Eddard says:

I like how they give Ortiz a free pass for PED use but Clemens, Bonds, A-Rod get killed for it and can’t get into the HOF. Ortiz? A shoe in per FOX.

122. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Wake the fuck up, Robbie.

123. WhittakerWalt says:

Why do these guys just completely gloss over Ortiz’ PED usage? Whether or not he actually belongs in the Hall of Fame, he certainly belongs in there LESS than Barry Bonds does. Yet many voters refuse to vote him in because of PEDs.

• Tom says:

It’s amazing the McCarver who pretty much gets up on his soapbox about PED use every Saturday telecast doesn’t even bring up he failed test.

124. OldYanksFan says:

LAZY! LAZY!

125. Pasta says:

Lazy cano again

126. Karl Krawfid says:

Great job Cano.

127. Pasta says:

Why cut that throw

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Ortiz was going to be safe. Keep the other runner at second.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

Runner at second was not tagging.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

If there’s a play at the plate, the ball can get away, allowing the runner to advance. It didn’t look like there was any chance Ortiz was going to be out anyways, so why take the risk?

• Rolling Doughnut says:

Sure, “anything can happen” but they had a play at the plate. A four run lead at Fenway is not insurmountable. And don’t look now they just plated another run this inning,

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Imo, they really didn’t have a play at the plate. Looked like Ortiz was going to be in fairly easily and the throw was going to be on a hop.

128. Revan says:

What the fuck was that Gardner?

129. Rolling Doughnut says:

Ortiz s running so they cut the throw off. Some bad D today.

• Winter says:

Even slow runners can be safe. They had no shot at getting Ortiz and wanted to hold the runner at 2nd.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

Runner at 2d was not tagging anyway. IMHO they did have a shot at Ortiz. But you’re right that slow runners can be safe.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Honestly, I don’t have any confidence that Stewart would have handled a throw home. He’s a terrible receiver.

130. Tom says:

So is Chris Stewart going to call the ol’ fake WP play again with Carp on 3rd?

131. first name only male - Retire 21 says:

PED usage aside, please name one way in which David Ortiz is more Hall of Fame worthy than Edgar Martinez. Just one!

• RetroRob says:

I can’t, and it has nothing to do with Edgar Martinez. If Ortiz was a 1B’man, the most offense oriented of positions, he wouldn’t be Hall-worthy. As a DH-only, even less so.

132. Revan says:

Bad pitch but blockable….

133. Karl Krawfid says:

wtf was that kuroda?

134. Pasta says:

We really need to dump stewie

135. WhittakerWalt says:

Fewer wild pitches, please.

136. ExitCashman says:

The fans are already calling Drew “Nancy.” I’m sure he’s happy about going to Boston and giving up that $2.5 million.

137. Eddard says:

Take out Hiroki now. He looks done. What a bad split allowing the 2nd run to score. Set up Kelley, Drob and Mo.

138. Pasta says:

Stewie= worst yankee catcher ever!

139. Rick says:

Hiroki is a special pitcher. All he does is take the ball every fifth day and provides his team the opportunity to win. With better run support this year, the guy would arguably be the leading candidate for the Cy Young.

140. HateMclouth (formerly I'mVernon) says:

Kudos to Hirok for limiting the damage. I would think it’d be a no-brainer to take him out next inning for D-Rob. And hey look at that, 12 hits!!!

141. ExitCashman says:

How much longer does Joe go with Hafner? He’s not hitting, doesn’t play a defensive position and I don’t believe that he can help in a mop-up pitching situation.

142. Tom says:

Not to make excuses for Kuroda’s 7th inning, and he had a great game even with that inning, but….

He had to be kind of shocked to see a 4 next to NY on the scoreboard when he took the mound. He hasn’t taken the mound seeing “4″ next to the Yankees on the scoreboard since May 17th (11 starts ago)

143. BetterthanHafner says:

Hafner is the Yankee’s DO, or Designated Out. He cannot hit the curve and pulls all fastballs into the shift. He cannot play defense and has an ugly haircut.

He is the worst baseball player in the Major Leagues.

144. Revan says:

Go cry Pedroia.

145. Cy Pettitte says:

best DP ever

146. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Stewie!!!!!!!!!!!!

147. Tom says:

Now that was absurdly awesome

148. Karl Krawfid says:

Stewie!!!!!!!!!

149. Rolling Doughnut says:

Oh baby, what a play.

150. Eddard says:

STEWIE! Defensive catcher! Ortiz will NOT hit with a chance to tie the ballgame!

151. gargoyle says:

ohhhhhh yessssss!!!

152. Jag says:

Amazing play by Stewart there

153. Lukaszek says:

STEWIE! Defensive catcher lives up to his name

154. nsalem says:

Nothing like taking the tying run bat out of Ortiz’ hands. Thanks Nava

155. ropeadope says:

Unbelievable play. Best part is Ortiz doesn’t come up as tying (or go-ahead run).

156. Tom says:

“Nava alertly tagging up” Tim McCarver

Sure down 2 runs with Ortiz due up (as the potential tying run), obviously that was the “alert” play.

157. Nathan says:

What a play!

158. Lukaszek says:

Honestly, this was probably the third best play we’ve seen this season, only behind the Manny Machado and the Brett Gardner catch in Citi Field

• ExitCashman says:

Agree. I don’t even think that the Machado play was that great because he didn’t field the ball cleanly.

159. nsalem says:

Dustin Lazy Anglo

160. Tom says:

Lazy white boy!

/Salty’d

161. Rolling Doughnut says:

Ratboy screws up. How many errors had he made this year? None?

162. Eddard says:

I would not bunt Ichiro here because then they’ll just walk Robbie Cano. Overbay has had a good day but I’d rather have Robbie hit with RISP.

163. nsalem says:

Bunt controversy sighting

164. RetroRob says:

Stewie must go.

Stewie is the worst Yankee catcher ever.

Stewie is great.

You’re all a hoot.

165. Tom says:

Just like they drew it up….

166. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Bad baserunning ftw

167. RetroRob says:

What The F

168. Tom says:

Kind of surprised they are pitching to Cano (again) with a base open

169. Revan says:

McCarver not even trying to hide his Boston feelings…

170. Revan says:

Gardner is a horrendous baserunner.

171. Tom says:

Delayed steal I guess? maybe hoping the SS wouldn’t cover?

Some really horrendous baserunning on both sides – I think that’s 5 outs on the bases and there should have been a couple of more.

172. trr says:

There’s been quite a few effed up running plays today

173. Karl Krawfid says:

Trade Cano.

174. Rolling Doughnut says:

Robbie what are you doing dude.

175. Pasta says:

Lazy dominican.

176. trr says:

Mo is victimized by so many cheap hits -

177. Pasta says:

Is that Jase up or uncle sy?

178. Karl Krawfid says:

This is like Bizarro world.

179. Pasta says:

Lol there is the 2004 reference lol

• Rolling Doughnut says:

Knew it was coming at some point. They probably just realized they hadn’t mentioned it so they squeezed it in at the end.

180. Winter says:

FOX manages to heap on the Red Sox love even with two outs in the ninth when they’re losing by two.

181. trr says:

Thanks again Mo !

182. Tom says:

Damn non-lazy Panamanian

/Salty’d

183. Mick taylor says:

Mccarver mentioned 2004. As Johnny Damon knows, the comeback was fueled by steroids taken by period manny and company

184. trr says:

No Jon Lester tomorrow night, huh?

185. Thanκѕ for one’s marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed reading it, you are a great author. I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will eventually come back very soon. I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great writing, have a nice weekend!

Also visit my web-site … green leather purse