Jul

Granderson resumes hitting in the batting cage

Via David Satriano: Curtis Granderson confirmed he has recently started hitting in the batting cage after being limited to dry swings last week. “Shouldn’t be too long. We’re getting close. I started hitting in the cage recently and doing some soft-toss … I’ve been doing all my defense. We just gotta get the baseball stuff underneath me in terms of hitting, getting back out on the field and playing, and get back up here to New York,” said Granderson, who is rehabbing from a broken left hand.

Brian Cashman told Satriano he doesn’t expect his power-hitting center corner outfielder back until early-August, which makes sense. It’s already mid-July and the process of going from hitting in the cage and off soft-toss to taking live batting practice and eventually playing in minor league rehab games is probably a two-week thing, at least. The current Yankees team has very little power — they’ve hit 18 homers in their last 35 games, an 83-homer pace over a full season — so Granderson will be an enormous upgrade to the offense despite his other warts. He can’t come back soon enough.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. jsbrendog says:

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

2. Robinson Tilapia says:

Can’t get him back quickly enough.

• I'm One says:

He and A-Rod are going to save the team and the season!

• jsbrendog says:

dumb azz es UNITE!

• jjyank says:

I like how you didn’t even know how to pluralize the word. Just reading his comments makes me want to go do my homework. Even though I don’t have any.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

That stopped being fun quickly. Didn’t even get to bust out a “COME AT ME BRO” or anything, which would have been a somehow-less-dated reference.

• jjyank says:

Fun aside story. I took to pronouncing it “brah” after my time in Vermont. Yes, hippies and whatnot. A female coworker of mine who’s never been outside of Virginia keeps asking why I am referring to the bras of my other female coworkers. And she’s serious.

Back on topic: it was never funny. The only funny thing about it is that his parents let him use the family computer on weeknights.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

“Come at me, bra” could get you into a heap of trouble at work.

• jjyank says:

It’s actually great fun, because a second female coworker actually went to UVM as well, though she graduated 2 years before I did. So she and I keep using it around the other girl and it gets rather hilarious at times.

• trr says:

Webster’s prefers “azz-i”

3. Vincent Vega says:

Better just keep him in rehab. Then he can’t hurt himself

4. jjyank says:

Get well soon, Grandyman. It’s a real bummer his (perhaps likely) final season in NY was cut so short. He’s really a great guy to root for.

• jsbrendog says:

agreed. really is a shame. it just isn’t the same without his post game interviews. most well spoken and articulate guy on the team.

5. ajra21 says:

so he’ll be back in the lineup soon and then reinjured a day later, correct? isn’t that how it goes this year?

6. jason says:

Team is on pace for about 150 HRs for the season. Would have thought last time Yankees had as few HRs would have been 1990-91, but they actually hit only 122 in 1995 (of course, the 95 team was a far superior offensive team, but still). Can’t wait for