Jul

Update: Yankees have interest in Justin Ruggiano

Monday: The Yankees do indeed have interest in acquiring Ruggiano, reports Ken Rosenthal. It would be quite redundant to carry both Ruggiano and Vernon Wells on the roster, however.

Saturday: Via Jon Heyman: The Yankees were one of several teams with scouts in attendance for Ricky Nolasco’s start earlier this week, but they were there to see the Marlins’ hitters and not the trade bait right-hander. Josh Norris points out New York had some interest in outfielder Justin Ruggiano during the spring, probably before the Vernon Wells trade.

Miami insists Giancarlo Stanton isn’t on the market, which means the team’s best realistically available hitter is Logan Morrison (174 wRC+ in limited time following knee surgery). He could step right in and replace Lyle Overbay at first base, then stick around as a part-time first baseman, part-time outfielder, part-time DH in the future. Ruggiano (115 wRC+ vs. LHP) is a nice platoon outfielder and I suppose Placido Polanco (63 wRC+) would be an upgrade over David Adams, but that’s pretty much it. The Marlins don’t have any worthwhile catchers or middle infielders.

Categories : Asides, Trade Deadline

1. Dalek Jeter says:

So, what you’re saying is we are hours away from acquiring Giancarlo Stanton and Logan Morrison for Ivan Nova and a bag of balls. Gotcha. Will it happen in time to get them in todays line up?

• I'm not the droids you're looking for... says:

I’m thinking A-Rod plus $100 million thrown in for good measure.

2. Laz says:

I’d rather stick with Adams over Polanco, Adams could at least improve, Polanco is toasted. I do want them to improve at 1B though, anything but overbay.

3. Eddard says:

I don’t think they’ll get another OF. With Granderson they’ll have their 4. Wells isn’t going anywhere since he’s signed for next year. They need C, RH 1B. Frankie might not be back for another 2 months. I think Murphy will soon get the call up for Romine. Overbay is not an every day player. When A-Rod and Jete return I’d keep Cruz and Nuney and dump AG and the professional ballplayer.

• Dan says:

Yeah. And honestly with Vern in the role he’s in now as a backup, I really wouldn’t want him to go anywhere. He’s doing just fine as a backup. Why would you throw away a half decent backup who will be free next year for no reason?

4. Roadgeek Adam says:

Stanton – Everyone in the United States wants him to play for their team, I mean really.

Ruggiano – Terrible defender, offense is still mega-iffy.

My ways of looking at it:

Rob Brantly would be a better backup than Chris Stewart, clutch hitter. Not great, but clutch.

Donovan Solano has excellent defensive skills and is likely an offensive upgrade over Jayson Nix.

Juan Pierre would be insta-hit and insta-steal, but why would we go after Juan Pierre? :p

The other name I’m looking at, and not likely we’d get him, is Marcell Ozuna, the kid they called in for Stanton on the DL. I personally see talent, but I don’t think we have room for him.

5. Bronx Bombers23 says:

No to Polanco. He’s old and finished. Play Adams/Cruz/Nix when he comes back.

Morrison would definitely be an upgrade over Overbay, and does have the ability to play the OF in a pinch. I wouldn’t mind him, if he’s healthy, and the price is right, although I do think he and Boesch are very similar.

6. Tom says:

The big difference between LoMo and Boesch is that LoMo can walk. 11.1% BB/17.9% K compared to 6.7% BB/19% K for Boesch.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Problem with LoMo is he’s always hurt. The guy is like Nick Johnson II and with all the age on this team, do we really need another perpetually injured player ?

• Preston says:

What we need is an above average hitter. If they didn’t have warts we wouldn’t be able to acquire them. Morrison is cheap and is controlled until 2017 and would probably blossom in Yankee Stadium. If he stays healthy the rest of the season he can help us make the playoff push. If he doesn’t then you still have him around for next season.

7. jpnyyy says:

The Yankees should offer Joba and Hughes to teams in trades while them giving them a window for contract negotiations. I would bet some teams would give up more value if to they are allowed to sign them now and not in a bidding war in the offseason.Nothing to lose.

• King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

That’s a good idea. Which means, technically, it will never happen.

• Dan says:

Few teams would want to sign Joba to an extension at the moment. And I really doubt there will be a “bidding war” surrounding him in the off season.

8. Mick taylor says:

Yanks need Michael young or utley, and mike morse .

9. trr says:

dammit we need help at C!

10. C'mon Cash says:

Somewhere in Wisconsin, Jon Lucroy has his hand in the air like a anxious 2nd grader….. Throw in Aoki too while your at it.

11. yooboo says:

No thanks on Morrison. When the season is over, he may BARELY edge over Overbay. Do the math. Yanks should make a trade for someone who is locked to be a starter next year such as catcher and leftfielder.

I kind of wish Ben Zobrist played for Astros instead of Rays. I try to find similar one but no luck.

12. Dan says:

Not saying I don’t like Stanton, because I do. But, it’s time people stop lumping him into the pile of “Guys I’d kill to build a team around.” Because that list includes Trout, Harper, Upton (maybe), and Machado as far as position players go. Stanton is not by any means better than any of them. Those are players you give up your entire farm for. Stanton is not one of them. In fact after this year I’d sooner kill to have Segura on my team than Stanton. He is over rated, plain and simple.

• jsbrendog says:

i mean, I don’t think he is over rated. he is exactly as good as ppl say/think he is. but i would not want to build around an OF since it is the easiest position to fill and the gap from cornerstone SS to next level ss and ace to next level pitched is a much more precipitous dropoff than from a stanton/trout/harper to the next level of outfielder.

• Bobby Crosby says:

In order to trade the farm for somebody they have to be available. Stanton is the best player that is even remotely available. None of the other players you list are even discussable with their teams GMs.

• Winter says:

I don’t think Stanton is overrated. He has more raw power than Harper, Trout, Upton or Machado. True he’s having a bit of a down year after last year (when he hit 37 HR in only 123 games, which is absurd), but even a down year means a 115 wRC+. Admittedly, there might be some SSS concerns because of his short career, but let’s proceed:

-He’s below his career BABIP by about .020 points, meaning you can expect him to regress in the right direction.
      -He’s below his career ISO by about .080 points, so you can expect some major (good) regression there.
      -His HR/FB rate and LD rate are down and his GB rate is up compared to last year (and his career). While this isn’t a great sign, it could also be the product of getting nothing to hit because of no lineup protection (compare to Cano, whose LD% and HR/FB are also down compared to last year).
      -He’s only 23 (!), meaning his best years are still ahead of him. We’re talking about someone who hit for a .318 ISO and 28.9 HR/FB in his age 22 season. He has a career .272 ISO and 24.8 HR/FB. When you take into account that power tends to develop later in a player’s career than other tools, those numbers are just silly.

While he’s not perfect — ideally he’d hit for better average and strike out (a lot) less, although he does walk above league average — he is not really overrated. He already has a 5.7 WAR season under his belt in a year where he missed a month due to injury. If Segura matches his first half production (not at all guaranteed), he’ll have 5.4 WAR in a full year. I agree that I’d prefer Trout, Machado or Harper to build a team around, but that doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t also kill to build a team around Stanton. Given the fact that he’s one of the biggest pure power threats there is and he’s only 23, he’s worth the entire farm. He’s not overrated at all.

13. Cool Lester Smooth says:

Maybe we can throw them Wells for Ruggiano, picking up the rest of Wells’ 2013 salary, since the Angels are paying him everything next year.

14. Andrew Brotherton says:

I think it is an easy choice on who to build your team around and that is Manny Machado. He plays a premium position, is young, and is the most talented player in baseball. My second choice is Mike Trout, 3rd choice is Buster Posey.