Jul

Poll: Is it time to trade Phil Hughes?

A few days ago, I asked my Twitter followers if they had any requests for my next post topic. I considered a few of the responses but ultimately chose this one: “Make the case that the Yankees should trade Phil Hughes right now.” Well, I’m not sure I personally agree with this proposal, but for the sake of discussion, I’ll give it a shot.

Phil Hughes

(Mike Stobe/Getty)

Hughes is out of here at the end of the season anyway! At this point, it seems inevitable that the Yankees will allow Phil Hughes to walk once the 2013 campaign ends. I discussed some potential contract outcomes for Hughes back in mid-May; he figures to have a decent payday coming his way even if he is mostly mediocre for the remainder of this season. You know some team will give him an Edwin Jackson-esque contract. If he finishes the season strong, who knows, maybe he gets even more. Despite the obvious question marks surrounding next year’s rotation, it seems like the presumed austerity budget will prevent the Yankees from re-signing him once he hits free agency. Although Buster Olney thinks a qualifying offer could happen, I wonder whether it actually will happen considering that the price tag would be pretty high if he actually accepted, which could strain the budget.

He’s a perennial underachiever! He was supposed to be a future Yankees ace. Instead he’s a middle-to-back of the rotation type of arm with the potential for the occasional hot streak. He owns a career 4.41 ERA (4.27 FIP) and has never been valued at more than a 2.5 fWAR. Is that useful? Sure. Is it that hard to replace? Questionable, especially if he’s being paid Edwin Jackson money. He also has shown the propensity for giving up the long ball. He’s an extreme fly ball pitcher in a hitter’s ball park. His skillset just doesn’t make sense for New York and their stadium. Let the kid find a niche elsewhere. He’s 27 years old. Maybe he’ll figure things out in another season or two. Maybe he won’t. To make matters worse, he’s also had some obvious durability concerns over the years.

Perhaps a decent player in return is plausible! To follow up on the first argument, the team could potentially use Hughes to acquire a player who could help the team now and down the road since he probably won’t be back after the season. Some team will be looking for more starting pitching down the stretch and heading into the playoffs (whether that’s due to their own rotation’s ineffectiveness or injury), and if Hughes continues to put up quality starts he may draw some interest. While I’m not sure that Hughes could bring back a useful player by himself, maybe if he were packaged with one of the team’s better prospects, a quality trade could be possible. If the idea is to shed team salary, then trying to find a young MLB ready position player with a few years of team control would make a lot of sense – especially if the team has soured a bit on some of their own prospects. For what it’s worth, the team has already begun testing the market with him and Joba.

The rotation will be fine without him! With the exception of the last few starts, Hughes hasn’t been one of the team’s more consistent contributors this year. He could become one down the stretch, but who knows how that’ll play out or if it’ll ultimately even matter. The team could potentially piece together some decent starts in Hughes’ absence with Ivan Nova – not to mention Michael Pineda, who will be available soon as well. Frankly, given the offensive woes, it may not make one bit of a difference who pitches anyway unless they’re prepared to throw a shut out every start.

Would you look to trade Phil Hughes right now?

Categories : Players, Polls

1. Cool Lester Smooth says:

Give me the supplemental rounder over the non-prospect we’ll get back for a rental of a 4th starter.

• Preston says:

Agreed, I’d rather have half a season of Hughes and extend the QO. Either he accepts and we can keep him, Pettitte and Kuroda might not be back next season, or trade a full season of Hughes instead of just half. If he rejects, which ideally he would, we get a supplemental first rounder. That seems a lot better than giving up a guy who’s currently contributing to your roster (you can never have enough pitching) and getting a mid level prospect in return.

2. LK says:

I suspect a “Meh” option would fare well in the poll.

• Matt Warden says:

Hah, I doubt it LK. Folks tend to have an opinion on Phil Hughes. I know plenty of people who want him shipped out, and plenty who want to keep him around. The one group of people I haven’t really met very often would be the impartial crowd.

• LK says:

Interesting. You are right that Hughes seems to engender strong opinions. I guess I just feel very indifferent toward him but perhaps I’m the outlier.

• trr says:

I’m not passionate either way myself. I think his days here are numbered as a matter of course…My opinion is he will not be traded and depart via FA after the season

• Wolfgang's Fault says:

If the deal is Hughes and one or two pro([s]us)]pects/organizational types for a quality bat, say Kendry Morales, plus cap space to make a serious run at Int’l F/A Rafael Devers, you betcha; name that tune. Anything less, I’d probably want Hughes to bring back a supplemental draft pick next June.

• Ed says:

I think Hughes and Joba were far more interesting when they were younger. Years of team control remaining and lots of potential upside. That made for an interesting debate on whether to keep or trade them, along with what role they should be in.

Now you’ve got 2 mediocre players with 3 months of team control remaining. There’s enough pitching depth that they’re not likely to make or break the season if you keep them, and they’re not likely to get us a good player in a trade unless you include other more interesting players. That would be why I’m “Meh” on trading them.

• Wolfgang's Fault says:

I’d hold onto Joba as he still has a live arm, he’s capable of turning it around in the 2nd half, & imo Joba’s a better option than anyone else we have at either in the pen or in Scranton to get the ball to Robertson & Mo. IMO, he’s still young enough that he could have a great bunch of years in him yet. Personally, instead of dealing him, I’d talk to his agent right now & seek to extend him two years at something like $7-8M plus an option year ($4-5M) & try to lock him up while his stock is down. If he does have a great second half, he’s a discount. If he doesn’t, he’s capable of having a huge 2014/15. If he spits the bit, you’ve got him under a reasonable deal that other teams would be willing to take on cause maybe they think they can straighten him out. Win/Win all around. You deal him now, I doubt you get fair value for him.

3. Tim says:

I think NYY fans sometimes underestimate the value that can be provided by a 27-28 year old on a one year contract. The salary is entirely different when not tied to a long term contract. I would suspect NYY would give him an offer because they could still deal him if necessary. Christ, Dan Haren signed a 1 year $13 million contract last December.

I’d be fine keeping him and offering him a qualifying offer or trading him if the package exceeded a conditional pick and could help the team now. I would rather not sell low because I think his value is higher than what the common fan thinks based on ERA and W/L.

• jsbrendog says:

sheesh, and haren was worse than hughes last year. lawdy…

• mitch says:

If he does end the year with the Yanks i’d definitely extend the QO because i don’t think he’d take it. I can’t see him getting an offer less than something like 3/36 and even that is too much money to leave on the table. Plus, the worst case scenario is him excepting the offer and you end up overpaying a back end starter for one season.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

If Phil Hughes gets 13 million dollars then what do you give the starters better than him?

Because according to xFIP- there are 76 better starting pitchers than Phil Hughes since 2010.

• mitch says:

and how many of them are available? I don’t get your point.

• jsbrendog says:

the OP point that Dan Haren got 1 yr $13 last year and had a worse year than hughes had last year or is having this year….well, that means one would think hughes is worth at least that per year to some team out there.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

My point is simply that Phil Hughes sucks. You don’t pay 10 million+ on crap especially with little room in the budget.

• mitch says:

And my point was that it’s unlikely he’d even except the offer and there’s a good chance they’d end up with an extra first round pick. In my opinion that’s worth the risk of potentially overpaying him for one year.

• Caballo Sin Nombre says:

I don’t know if this was your point, Mitch; but my response to JobaWockeeZ would be that of those 76 better SPs perhaps 10 will be available on the open market, making Phil a fairly rare commodity. Additionally, since there are 30 teams in MLB, being number 77 makes him just slightly worse than the average #3 starter. In other words, he’s a pitcher who could improve pretty much any team.

• Preston says:

They get somewhere between 13 million dollars and 25 million dollars, depending on how much “better” they are. They might also get a lower AAV on a much longer deal (or a larger AAV on a longer deal) again depending on how much “better” they are.

4. Anthony says:

I just don’t wan to see his face anymore. I don’t care what the Yankees do; get a supplemental pick, trade him at the deadline…whatever…I just don’t want to see him in a Yankees uniform again.

5. Pseudoyanks says:

Regarding your first Point, how is the rest of the pool of FA pitchers? Is he likely to be one of the top sought after SP in a thin class or is he at the bottom of a long list? Supply/Demand.

• Matt Warden says:

Well quality free agent starting pitching is never in great supply. He’ll certainly be one of the younger options next year. 2015 doesn’t look particularly deep either. You have to figure guys like Lester (2014) or Kerhsaw (2015) will get locked up.

2014 Free Agents

2015 Free Agents

• mitch says:

Some/all with probably get locked up prior but 2015 has some interesting names (Kershaw, Bailey, Masterson, Scherzer). Phil would be better off getting a deal done in 2014.

6. JobaWockeeZ says:

Teams are pretty dumb if they want to equate Phil Hughes to Edwin Jackson. Since 2010 Edwin Jackson has posted sub 4.00 FIPs, xFIPs, and SIERAs.

Meanwhile Hughes has a terrible 4.43 FIP, 4.37 xFIP, and 4.14 SIERA ever since he was a starting pitcher. His career ERA is 4.49 which is right there with the advanced metrics just in case someone wants to say all three metrics are “flukes.”

Yes I agree, teams overpay for average and mediocrity. Just stop calling Hughes that because he’s not close to an average starting pitcher.

• Chip says:

He’s also pitching in a tiny ballpark in the AL East. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see him look completely dominant if he moved to a big ballpark like AT&T or Petco

• JobaWockeeZ says:

xFIP is park adjusted by making the home run rate the same for every pitcher. It still doesn’t help Hughes.

• Chip says:

Yes, I understand its park adjusted and what not but my point is that his peripherals would be better if he both got to pitch against the oppositing pitcher in the NL and against weaker lineups in the NL West.

• jsbrendog says:

guys with no out pitch who can’t put away hitters in 2 strike counts can never be dominant. better? sure he could be better if the hr turn into warning track flyouts but a different ballpark won’t do anything else to change him as a pitcher.

• Big Member says:

I agree with you you my firedn its unfair to compare Jackson to Hughes because Hughes has been a better pitcher since 2010

Jackson: 37 W – 42 L
      Hughes: 38 W- 34L

Now keep in mind that Hughes has played in the most hitter firnedly ark in baseball and Jackson has been a journeyman.

• Preston says:

You’re being purposefully dense. The comparison is apt if you look at it from an age perspective. They were both highly touted prospects who underachieved. If you look at Jackson in his age 27 season he had just posted his first sub 4.00 FIP after being pretty marginal. Yet he was still valued. The fact that Edwin Jackson has become a better pitcher at age 28 going forward shows exactly why teams will still value Phil Hughes.

7. trr says:

I voted yes. A simple yes, not “absolutely!” Hughes value to the team continues to diminish, and it seems unlikely that the team would want to invest in a long term contract after this season, so if the right deal comes along, yes move him

8. Chip says:

So I know my trade proposal sucks but how about Hughes and Turley for Joc Pederson? Gives the Dodgers a starter that they need now and a wildcard in Turley while we get back a decent prospect that is going to be locked out of the Dodger outfield for many years to come. My other thought was Corey Seager but I’m not sure the Dodgers would part with him and (hopefully) Jagielo makes him redundant

• Kosmo says:

it´s not as bad as you make it seem. Magill, Gordon and Van Slyke for Hughes. Dodgers I doubt would part with Pederson or Seager.

9. Frank says:

On the surface, a player like Hughes isn’t going to fetch a great return. But between today and the deadline, some team(s) may get desperate and overpay. Especially if Garza gets moved first. I’m sure that’s what the Yanks are banking on. It’s happened before.

10. yooboo says:

No contending teams seek for rotation help so we won’t get a good value out of Hughes.

11. jsbrendog says:

ricky nolasco, an actual league average pitcher, got a bunch of meh back in trade.

phil hughes, a worse pitcher…..he’s gonna get more?

• yooboo says:

Don’t bother to compare the return package with Feldman and Nolasco.

Focus on what kind of return for Hughes. If those players can help keeping position warm for cheaper this year and next year then go for it. It is better than nothing.

The supplement pick won’t resolve 2014 roster problem so Yankees need to find a way to improve the 2014 roster any way they can.

If Yankees trade Hughes away for a rental player then they are a flat out idiot. Simple.

• yooboo says:

keep

• jsbrendog says:

what? I said ricky nolasco, a better pitcher, got a return of 2 crappy reliever prospects and a throw in low level guy.

phil hughes is worse. how will he return anything better than that?

your post is very unclear and muddled.

• Chip says:

You can’t straight compare trades though. Desperation makes GMs do stupid things and the Dodgers are the model of desperation at the moment

• mitch says:

Nolasco was a salary dump from a frugal team. If the Yanks ate the last few mil on his salary they’d get a better package than what FLA got.

• Preston says:

Nolasco is making more, and the Marlins insisted on the recieving team eating all the money. That’s why the return was so marginal. But point taken, I don’t think we’ll get an impact player/prospect out of Hughes.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Nolasco is a 32 year old who has the same stats in a more pitcher friendly park in a bad division in the NL.

This is the first time in 5 years that he’s had an ERA under 4 and less than .6 runs higher than his FIP.

He’s not good, no matter what his peripherals say.

• BFDeal says:

You have to consider the Dodgers assumed all of Nolasco’s remaining contract which is why they gave up lesser players.

• Kosmo says:

4 million difference in salary and 3-4 years in age, otherwise I see them as practically the same pitcher.

12. Coolerking101 says:

Unless the Yanks stick him in relief and kill his value, you have to imagine that Hughes will end up with some silly contract this off-season that will pay him far more than he’s worth. Of course if he’s bold, he’d jump at a qualifying offer and use 2014 to increase his stock.

If the Yanks could actually get an A-list prospect for him, I’d jump at it. That being said, does anyone really think the Yanks get anything for him beyond a rental bat and/or handful of B level prospects?

13. toad says:

Not much of a question, I think. It’s like asking, “Would you pay $XX for a car?” without specifying the car.

There are no absolute reasons to trade or not trade Hughes. It depends on what you can get. If a contending team decides it needs someone like him to get them over th ehump into the post-season you might get good value. Or you might not.

14. jojitsu says:

trade him for a bag of balls

15. Larry says:

OF COURSE it’s not time to trade Phil Hughes… The “TIME” to trade Phil Hughes was 2-3 years ago before every realized what a worthless pile of dog crap he is.

• Chip says:

Should have traded Hughes and Joba for Miggy back in the day :)

• Slu says:

Exactly. He should have been traded a long time ago. But I am all for kicking him out the door now.

And to all those saying keep him and extend him the QO, the Yankees will never make that offer. Not with the 2014 budget. They are going to hope Pineda can hold down a rotation spot next year and dumpster dive to fill out the rotation.

16. Dalek Jeter says:

Word is the Angels are interested…Hughes for Trumbo

#pipedreams

17. Mister D says:

He’ll always be one of my biggest propsect crushes but by now we know what he is, a #3 who is a downright horrible fit for his home stadium. Wish him luck in the NL.

• Slu says:

#3??? Please pass whatever you are smoking this way.

• jsbrendog says:

statistically he is barely a #5

• Preston says:

That’s just not true. According to WAR he’s 61st, FIP has him 73rd, and xFIP 82nd. So considering that there are 30 teams in MLB he sits solidly in the realm of a number 3 (the 60-90 range). And I understand the argument that says that just because you slot in as a number 3 on an average rotation doesn’t mean you’re a number 3 on a good team, but it at least makes you a number 5.

• Mister D says:

He’s also basically the inverted Johnny Damon. You can’t design a worse ballpark for a pitcher like Hughes just like you couldn’t design a better one for late career Damon (short of a “no throwing baseballs allowed” sign). He’ll be really nice outside of YS3 full-time.

• jsbrendog says:

except his xfip, as stated above, is park adjusted. and right in line with his era. and other stats.

• Mister D says:

And he’s outperformed his xFIP on the road every year …

2013: 4.15 (FIP) vs 4.70 (xFIP)
              2012: 3.90 vs 4.08
              2011: 4.36 vs 5.36
              2010: 3.02 vs 3.66

Just like buying into players having different baselines w/ BABIP, don’t you have to do the same w/ the FB/HR% adjustment from FIP to xFIP?

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Well, as we all know, park adjustments are impeccable.

That’s why it’s ridiculous to suggest that Pedroia benefits from playing in Fenway Park, despite his 24 point career split in wRC+.

• Mister D says:

He has a pretty steady > 2.5 SO/BB and ~4.00 FIP on the road over the past 3 years. That looks like a #3 to me.

18. JGNYC says:

This team is rebuilding. That process started this offseason with letting some long term contracts expire and replacing them with short term ones, and getting the supplemental picks. This offseason will be more of the same to boost the farm with more supplemental picks from Granderson, possibly Cano, possibly Kuroda, and Hughes. They won’t miss the opportunity to get a pick out of Hughes if they can’t get something good in return. Next season’s supplemental picks along with this year’s draft will hopefully give the team a group of young players ready for for the majors around the time when Sabathia, Arod, and Teixeira are coming off the books, when the rebuilding will be complete. Hughes plays a part in this despite a sub-par season.

19. Mike HC says:

Unless we get back a really good piece I would keep him.

20. mitch says:

Here’s Phil’s value to the Yankees: Bottom of the rotation starter for a half a season, potential solid relief pitcher if they make the playoffs, potential 1st round draft pick for declining QO.

If a team can offer someone who provides more value than that then i’d pull the trigger on a trade.

21. ExitCashman says:

Hughes? Joba? Unless some other team is willing to give up another underachieving player destined for free agency, there’s not a lot to gain, especially when you have Cashman making decisions.

As the article about Ibanez pointed out, the ‘swap’ of Raul for Hafner hasn’t exactly worked out. No surprise there. Cashman is from the “It’s not broke, so let’s fuck with it” school. Like dumping Matsui in favor of Nick Johnson. Forgetting about Chavez to blow $12 million on Youkilis. We’re not talking cost saving measures here. These are just plain old bad judgments.

I wouldn’t trust Cashman to get equal value in any trade. He’s been living in the glory of the Swisher trade for years. Now that it’s clear that giving up Kennedy instead of Joba or Hughes was the wrong move, and that the Granderson trade didn’t produce a champion, just gave up 2 valuable pieces for the future, I’d prefer to trade anyone on the roster for a new GM.

• Chip says:

Well picking up Ibanez in the first place was a pretty wise move that you don’t seem to be giving him credit for. As for Chavez, he didn’t want to come back so its hard to pin the blame on that with Cashman. If you look at some of the other bargain bins he’s picked guys like Aaron Small, Freddy Garcia, Bartolo Colon, Shawn Kelly, ect and he looks pretty decent at doing it.

As for the Granderson trade, he’s been the team’s second best hitter since he came over. Kennedy has looked great some years but you have to keep in mind that he’s in the NL West. I’m pretty sure Hughes would look decent over there as well. Jackson has really broken out as a great player (except for this season) but he’s essentially been an above average hitter with good defense (according to UZR) while Granderson has been an outstanding hitter with poor defense (according to UZR).

Overall, I’m pretty sure Cashman has done a good job just keeping this team competitive. I mean, when you consider the fact that we’re even above .500 at the all-star break when your centerfielder, catcher, first baseman, short stop and third baseman have all missed essentially the entire season, you have to give him some credit. Their lineup consists of their best hitter, maybe their 6th best hitter? and a bunch of AAAA guys at best. Also, I’m pretty sure management made the Ichiro trade happen and then all that was left on the market was Wells who was essentially free next season so they gave it a shot.

• ExitCashman says:

Yes, picking up Ibanez was good, as were the others, but for each of the successes, there were several colossal failures: Pedro Feliciano, Damaso Marte, Carl Pavano, Kei Igawa, Javy Vasquez, LaTroy Hawkins, Randy Winn, Chan Ho Park… and those weren’t cheap, or the only ones.

Kennedy is young and has outperformed both Joba and Hughes. As for this NL West comparison, it’s BS. How come no one talks about the fact that Kuroda is better in the AL East than he was in the NL West?

Granderson is one-dimensional: Homeruns. No defense, poor average. Jackson was runner-up for RoY in his rookie year, had a bad 2nd year and has been great since. He is far, far better and younger than Gardner.

The injuries should have been planned for. He went into this season with no back up 1B, a perenially injured replacement 3B for his injured 3B, no C to speak of, no RH hitting OF, etc. Blew his wad on Youk – all 28 games of him. Smart.

Cashman was against signing Ichiro. Another smart choice.

The guy is not a quality GM given all the resources at his disposal.

• FEED.ME.MORE! says:

Chavez wanted full-time work, so he left.

Cashman also brought back lefty masher Andruw Jones for a second year. How’d that turn out?

Ibanez looked like crap for 4 months last season.

Would you guys have sat through Austin Jackson’s strikeout binge the first few seasons he became a MLer? Or would you have been killing Cashman for NOT trading him for Grandy when he had the chance?

Ian Kennedy sho’ is dealing the last year and a half……

Cashman is not perfect, but let’s not act as if he’s presided over some crap team.

• Bryan says:

Not really. Hughes is a good #3 starter who has the ability to pitch deep into games and pitch very well. He is homer prone but is more inclined to give up solo shots than others. His ERA is artificially high because he has had a select few awful games. Buuuut…over the past month he has outpitched Phelps, Pettitte, and CC.

• BFDeal says:

Logic is not strong with this one.

22. FEED.ME.MORE! says:

I’m down for trading Hughes, if the return is fair.

With so many teams alive in the NL for a spot, I’m sure someone would be down to trade for Phil Hughes. I don’t think we’d get a star in return, but a young outfielder or 3B would be a nice return.

For some reason, I’m not worried about the pitching going forward.

IF you have CC, Pineda, Nova, Free Agent Pitcher (could be Hughes or Kuroda, or someone outside), with a battle of Phelps/Nuno/a recovering Banuelos/Ramirez for the 5th spot, I’d roll with that.

Add a corner OF bat in Free Agency, bring back Cano and have a Nunez/Musty/Jeter/ARod group at 3b and SS. Let’s roll.

Just hope Murphy/Cervelli can get better and be healthy the rest of the way.

• Chip says:

Funny how we’re all suddenly infatuated with Nova again after like 3 good starts. Everybody was calling for his head earlier in the season

• Preston says:

I’m not infatuated with him, but I’m fine with penciling him into the back end of next seasons rotation.

• jsbrendog says:

yeah, fair. next year’s rotation looks like absolute crap though if your 2-5 is pineda (only because he is an unknown,) phelps, nova, warren/marshall/dude from the street

• Preston says:

I agree they need to bring in somebody else. Hopefully Kuroda returns, if not maybe target Tim Hudon on a similar one year deal. Pineda, Nova, Phelps is fine for 3-5 but we need to find that number two somewhere.

• jsbrendog says:

i am not. his only good run is the outlier. i have very little faith this run will last. i hope he proves me wrong and turned a corner but as of now 3 starts is just a good run, which any pitcher good enough to make the majors can string together.

• FEED.ME.MORE! says:

I’ve never been against Nova being a starter, even when he struggled. Young pitching goes through growth spurts. To me, he fell in love with the strikeout/high heat mentality, when he was a successful sinker/weak contact guy.

Maybe he is getting back to that. The start against a great offense like Baltimore showed me that.

Plus, he’s young, under team control and can be a #4/#5 for this team.

The “let’s dump young players at the first sign of regression” mindset is how you end up with $230 million dollar payrolls and little to show for it.

23. Chris Z. says:

Phil for Ike Davis.

24. Bryan says:

Yanks would be stupid to trade their best pitcher under the age of 30. I would trade Nova, Warren, and Phelps all before Hughes. The Yankees have money to spare and with the Arod issue could end up saving a lot of cash.

• Preston says:

Those pitchers are all going to be around next year and Phil is a FA. So even though I agree Phil is the best of them, he’s not the most valuable. And we aren’t going to save a dime with the A-Rod issue.

• Bryan says:

You are still banking on Nova keeping up his progress and Phelps continuing his ascension. The fact is Phelps has nowhere near the stuff of Hughes. Nowhere near as good FB. Not as good a curve. He has a good changeup. He is less than one year younger than Hughes and has had far less success. And not to mention prior to his injury he had been getting hit hard every time out. 5 of his last 8 starts have allowed 4 runs or more. He is being exposed. It is what happened to Nova. Now you want to expand on that issue by giving away our best pitcher under 30 for pennies on the dollar? No freaking way.

Only way the Yanks should trade Hughes is if they get someone who is young, at or near his peak, with a few years on his contract remaining, and a huge upgrade over anything we have.

25. Fin says:

I voted yes. Why wouldn’t they look to trade Hughes and Joba? Both are FA’s at the end of the Year and neither is significantly better than the handful of guys the Yankees have to replace them with, who are not FA’s next year. I just hope they can get a young player/propesct or 2 rather than half a season of old guy rentals (Ruiz/Young).

• Bryan says:

Trading Joba and cash for even half a season of Young would be a huge steal. He could play either 1b or 3b and walk on and become the third best hitter behind Cano and Gardner (based on slash line).

But that is sure as hell not worth Hughes.

• Fin says:

I was just lumping them to together for a short reply. I don’t think Joba has any value other than to land a player on a salary dump. I really don’t know what Hughes’s value is, and its very possible his value is still greater to the Yankees than anything they can get in return.

• Bryan says:

Exactly. The Yankees are not in a position to really freak out at the moment. Hughes’ value is high for a trade. He is a high quality arm with a good deal of success against the leagues most difficult division while playing half his games in a hitters park. The Yankees should need to be blown away by the deal to offload him. It would be ridiculous if they simply went with someone as bad as say BJ Upton or like someone said earlier Ike Davis.

• Fin says:

In the end I could care less about Joba, they could be better off hoping for improvement in the second half than giving him away. I also wont be too upset with whatever they get for Hughes as hes a back of the rotation starter who is gone after the year. I personally think its a stretch to believe they are going to give him Q/O. I don’t think they are going to take a chance of getting stuck with paying Hughes 14m next year.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

He’s 27, gets a lot of Ks and doesn’t walk anybody. He’s going to get a lot more than 1/$14 million next year, and he should.

• Fin says:

Eh, I’m sure he would get a better long term deal for less per year. However, there is nothing stopping him from deciding that deal will still be there the following year and taking the 14m for 1 year. His Era and Fip are close to 4.5 I think you are over selling him. Hes in the bottom half of the league for pitchers. He still may be fairly young but I don’t think there is much upside there, its not like he hit MLB last year. He could just as easily regress as progress and end up as a bullpen arm I bet if you read any other teams blogs like this one, none of the fans would be up for giving him a 3 or 4 year deal. Just as most of us aren’t. I don’t hate Hughes or want to see the Yankees just dump him to get rid of him. I just don’t think hes anymore than a back of the rotation starter. Maybe if everything goes right in a big NL ballpark he could be more, but I wouldn’t bank on it.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

He’s got the exact same peripherals as Jered Weaver, but with a better K/9.

Some big ballpark team is going to sign him to a 3 year deal and get a huge steal.

• Bryan says:

To each their own I guess. But you are way underselling him.

26. Rizi Walnutz says:

Phil will do well, somewhere, most likely other than here. Statheads can bicker all they want, but the guy is streaky solid and that’s good enough. There’s a lot of innings to fill on teams. Whether they trade his worried ass or let him walk, either way, it’s bye-bye Phil and good luck. My wish? Go to the National League so he’s off my sad radar when he racks up some good wins on another team in the future.

27. Crime Dog says:

I think they wind up trading him, maybe in a three team deal with the Angels and another team where Hughes goes to LAA, the Yankees get a bat back from that third team (LAA really doesn’t have much in the offense category to send the Yankees way) and the other team gets a prospect or two from LAA/NYY (depending on the quality of that bat the Yankees get).

I mean, just spitballing but it could be Morales from SEA, Young or Chooch from Philly, or maybe even Soriano from Chicago.

• Bryan says:

There is absolutely no way in hell the Yanks would be crazy enough to trade Hughes and prospects for anyone on that list you said. If we are talking Hughes plus spects, this better be like A level prospect with numerous years left under contract and the potential to be a many time all star. Not one of those you mentioned fits that mold.

Not to sound like a dick but come on man. That would be a horrible trade. For the Yankees only. Everyone else would be laughing their heads off at our inability.

28. Patrick Donnelly-Shores says:

Next time fewer exclamation points!