Jul

Update: Yankees activate Eduardo Nunez; place David Phelps on DL

11:21am: Teixeira was transferred over to the 60-day DL to clear a 40-man spot for Eduardo Nunez, in case you were wondering.

11:04am: Phelps has been placed on the 15-day DL with a slight forearm strain, the team announced. He had an MRI yesterday and won’t throw for ten days. I would have preferred an option to an injury, arm trouble is never good no matter how minor it appears.

10:41am: The Yankees have activated Eduardo Nunez off the 60-day DL. He is with the team and in this afternoon’s lineup at shortstop. New York already had an open 40-man roster spot, so no problems there has to clear a 40-man roster spot for Nunez, but Mark Teixeira or Kevin Youkilis can be transferred to the 60-day DL without a problem.

No official word on the corresponding roster move yet, but David Phelps is no longer listed on the lineup card and the Tuesday starter for Triple-A Scranton is listed as TBA. That is Phelps’ day. Sure sounds like he was sent down after posting a 6.25 ERA (~3.95 FIP) in his last eight starts, but again, no official word just yet.

1. Eddard says:

YES! I MEAN NO! WHY NUNEY FOR BGDP? Well, you can’t win em all I guess. Nova deserves his rotation spot back. Phelps should be back up soon in the pen for Jobber.

2. John S. says:

I like what I saw from Cruz. IMO Cruz > Nunez.

• Bavarian Yankee says:

I think they’ll play Cruz at 3rd and Nunez at SS. Adams’ days are numbered.

• Eddard says:

Yeah, I like what I’ve seen from Cruz and I bet the FO does too. When A-Rod and Jete return we’ll say goodbye to AG and Adams. I just hope they don’t dump Cruz or Nuney for the professional ballplayer.

• OhioYanks says:

Nix is a better career hitter than Cruz. I’m not saying they should definitely keep him over Cruz, but if Nunez and Jeter are both back it might be the right move to keep the bat over the glove.

• OhioYanks says:

Cruz had a strong 2012, but he’s a career 64 wRC+ guy with a wRC+ of -2 this season. Maybe he displaced Adams, but I don’t think it’s obvious. At least as SS he should be a defensive upgrade over Nunez. I’ve been fine with Adams’ D.

3. Bob Buttons says:

‘Tis a bit strange that Adams and Gonzalez are both still here. But then again the sooner that giant oversized bullpen ends the better. 3-man bench is nuts.

4. Tom says:

I cannot think of a more pointless roster construction than one that includes Cruz AND Gonzalez. Same player, different name.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

True, they are the same player, but given that Jeter, Alex, Youkilis and Nix are all on the DL, the pickins are kind of slim.

Outside of a trade (because your trade proposal sucks), what do you suggest?

5. Dalek Jeter says:

…Yay? I guess? I find it hard to get excited about a guy who was pretty terrible early in the season, and sub par with the glove. I guess it’s better than Jayson Nix playing everyday?

• Travis L. says:

In his defense, Nunez was playing better with the glove, but had played like shit with the stick.

• SDB says:

You’ll hear a lot less from Ma and Pa about how Nixy is helping the team EVERY day in some way.

For that along, I am thankful.

6. Travis L. says:

Am I missing something? I thought the open 40-man spot went to Cruz when he was signed?

7. mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

It just doesn’t stop.

8. DERP says:

Kuroda is now pitching tomorrow.

9. Dalek Jeter says:

Wait a second…if they sent down a pitcher for a position player…that means they only have 12 pitchers?! MADNESS!!!!!!! The need for two long men is a mighty need for Girardi!!!!

10. Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d have sent down Adams but, with the asb coming, ten days will quickly go by and you’ll no longer need twenty guys for short and third by then.

11. Robinson Tilapia says:

And the injury bug strikes again. Need bug spray.

12. Jacob the OG says:

Can you really say anything here? Anyone who thinks Nova deserves his spot just because of last night has not watched him for the past 2 years

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Gotta ride the hot hand. Nova deserves to start for now.

It’s not like Hughes and Phelps are Koufax and Drysdale.

13. CS Yankee says:

It’ll be nice to have the second string SS back and moving FBGDP down seems like the correct call. Phelps hasn’t been able to command his secondary stuff and the league seems to have caught up to him.

Guessing;
    Jeet makes Gonzalez…gone.
    Arod makes Adams the SWB 3Bman.
    Phelps stays down as the sixth man for now.

14. The Real Greg says:

What they can do is put Nova in Phelps’s spot now.

You can play Cruz at 3rd and Nunez at short.

• The Real Greg says:

As I suspected:

Gardner CF,
      Ichiro RF,
      Cano 2B,
      Hafner DH,
      Almonte LF,
      Overbay 1B,
      Cruz 3B,
      Nunez SS,
      Stewart C,
      Pettitte P

• Laz says:

I’d give Adams a bit more time. He has much more potential than Cruz. Just because he has 3 hits in 3 games doesn’t change the fact he is a career .606 ops hitter.

15. Billyballs says:

Sorry guys but I’m truly truly confused with the level of disturn for David Adams? Yes his batting avg sucks and he doesn’t walk enough but he has played sound third base and can spell at 2nd and 1st if necessary.
    He is right handed and has consistently batted above 280 in minors. Is this a case of every blogger wanting a fantasy baseball team of stars and not letting kids develop. Give the kid s break. We are not in the dug out. We are not sitting next to girardi and cashman. We don’t know how this kid has blended in the club house. Sometimes when you give kids a chance they will develop into a useful player. Not every player comes up like puig or almonte so lets temper our inner gm dreams and lets let the inside people determine when they will give up on young players.

• The Real Greg says:

No. It’s a matter of him a bit overwhelmed by playing every day.

He’s can be on the bench.

• jjyank says:

I don’t think the distaste for Adams is a long term outlook. But those of us that still fancy the Yankees as a contender (and I do) think that they can’t afford a dead line up spot if it can be avoided. Long term, I still like Adams. But if he gets sent to AAA for a little while, it’s not the end of the world.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

This.

They just can’t afford a .536 OPS from a corner infield position at this point.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’ll also add to this that, with three regulars on that side of the infield returning from injury, it’s prudent to maintain depth. Adams can be sent down. The others have to be thrown in the Brignac/Nelson disposal.

• OhioYanks says:

That would make a lot of sense if his OPS to date were a good predictor of his OPS going forward. It’s probably not that great a predictor, though.

Certainly I am all for upgrading if they feel one is available, but the idea that you can tell what a guy will do in his next X PAs based on what did in his last X (unless X is several hundred) needs to stop.

In terms of jj’s comment, when does the long-term start? A hot or cold streak can start or end at any moment. Adams is actually having a mini-hot streak recently. Will it continue or stop? Who knows? Overall I think you have to just play who you think is the better ballplayer. Might be Adams, might not be. None of the other internal candidates are world-beaters, though.

• jjyank says:

I didn’t say they should send Adams down in favor of Cruz. Just that if his OBP drops again (and that’s really the only redeeming part of his “mini streak”), they shouldn’t hesitate to send him down for the sake of him getting his lumps at the MLB level. That’s great if your the Mets, but I’d like to see the Yankees make the playoffs.

Yes, I would love for Adams to be that guy. But if he’s not, they should play who ever is better, or hotter.

As far as using stats as predictor of the future…it’s obviously very imperfect, but what else do we have? Adams has no track record, so all we have to go on are his numbers so far. Nobody can predict what he’ll do at the MLB level going forward.

• OhioYanks says:

You can’t predict the future, but you can put probabilities on different outcomes. We can use scouting.

I think we’re mostly on the same page. I would just say that whoever is “hotter” today might well be “colder” tomorrow. There has to be some reason to think they are better going forward rather than going backwards, IMO. Sometimes in practice it’s just splitting hairs and you go with the hotter hand, I agree. You’d like some analysis to be behind it, though.

Adams is hitting like .240 since the start of the last Baltimore series, by the way, which isn’t great but might well be better than some other options given the BBs, solid D, and actual potential to build on it going forward. In terms of who is “hot” the guy is 3 for his last 9 with a 2B and 2 BBs. Cruz is 3-11 with a 2B and 0 BBs as a Yankee, I think.

• Laz says:

But people are arguing we should replace him with the .606 career ops Cruz. Maybe see if Adams can pull it together a bit, If it was Arod healthy it is one thing, but Cruz pretty much sucks. Arod should be back in a couple of weeks, and you have some time in that span that the team won’t be playing for the asb. Evaluate at that time.

• OhioYanks says:

Agree with the overall point. His first small sample of MLB PAs is not necessarily indicative of what he’ll do in the next small sample.

• TomH says:

Priceless.

• Johnny Wise says:

Priceless? Like that time you called Toronto the “crème de la crème”?

• OhioYanks says:

I get the impression that you are some lit major who knows nothing at all about statistics, but just chooses to mock it out of ignorance. You’ve never demonstrated an iota of understanding for anything quantitative, but you love to talk about how stupid it all is.

• DF says:

Ahem. I’m an English major and I know plenty about statistics and have in fact tangled with TomH in the past about his distaste for qualitative analysis. There is no conflict between a love of art and a love of statistical reasoning. Don’t tar us all with that brush, please.

• DF says:

And that should have been “quantitative.”

/typos not helping my cause

• OhioYanks says:

I didn’t say that there was. I just said that’s the impression I get of TomH.

• OhioYanks says:

And part of my point is really that maybe TomH does know a lot about stats (maybe he’s forgotten more than I know, I am not a statistician), but it doesn’t come across in his comments. If he would at least address the specific issues he has with various things I say, he might have some credibility. Just ranting about Ouija boards and such doesn’t establish much credibility.

• TomH says:

I get the impression that you’re some sort of stats major who knows nothing about people and veers every issue that might bear on that into the safe port of sample size.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Sounds more like rational/logical thought.

Try not to let that confuse you.

Or do you think 128 PA to start a player’s career is conclusive proof of their ability level?

• Jim Is Bored says:

TomH everybody!

• OhioYanks says:

Fairly inaccurate. Not a statistician by any means, though I have at least some background in the subject through studying business, working in finance, and just being a sports stats hobbyist. Do a lot of business development work, so I’m not exactly a hermit.

Do you know what I mean when I talk about a small sample size? I am being serious. It just gets frustrating to hear someone rant on and on about something they don’t seem to know anything about.

Your continued insistence that statistics cannot be employed in anything with a human element involved would seem to portray your ignorance. There are so many uses of statistics that involve a large human element.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Which, playing as often as he will with Jeter and Núñez back, may take you until 2014 but, hey, let’s not do something destructive and awful like have him ride the Scranton shuttle. God forbid.

• OhioYanks says:

What are you responding to, exactly? I never said he shouldn’t be sent down if a better player is available.

I said that a tiny sample of MLB PAs is not something you can use predicatively. If he had a hot Spencer/Duncan/Zoilo start, that also wouldn’t be predictive (he actually did have a quick early start… and he’s hot again right now, actually). This is how small samples work. There is too much variability around the mean. In both directions. Whether someone is doing much better, much worse, or right where you expected them to in a small sample, it’s not reliable.

I wouldn’t count on Nunez to be a better 3B or hitter than Adams. And I doubt Jeter is playing 3B unless he totally flops at SS for a good stretch. I could certainly see him sent down in deference to those two and Nix/Cruz/AG, but could also see him earning the spot by continuing his current hot streak.

16. Manny's BanWagon says:

Off topic but I was offered Encarnacion and McCutchen for Carlos Gonzalez and Adam Lind.

Should I pull the trigger? 5×5 roto league, redraft every year.

• jjyank says:

Depends on your roster, I think. McCutchen plays a more premium position than CarGo (though both of them are awesome), so do you need an upgrade in CF badly? Encarnacion would essentially replace Lind, so I think it comes down to ‘Cuch and CarGo. Do you need a CF or a LF more based on your roster?

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Also, is it a RF/CF/LF league or an OF league.

17. 28 this year says:

Now Phelps is hurt too? This is absurd.

18. CTRob says:

There may be an obvious answer to this, but why wasn’t Tex just put on the 60 day dl when they found out he was going to be out the rest of the year? Does there have to be a corresponding move to fill the open spot? Does someone just have to get around to doing it?

• Mike Axisa says:

Can’t use the 60-day DL until you absolutely need it. 40-man has to be full and you have to add a player right away.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

There does have to be a corresponding move. Players can only be added to the 60-day DL when the roster spot is actually needed. (and there’s really no point/benefit to doing it if the spot isn’t needed anyways)

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

OK, I swear Mike’s reply wasn’t there when I refreshed just a few minutes ago.

• CTRob says:

Thanks to both you guys for the answer. I figured that was the deal. Not really important, I know, but was just curious.

19. jjyank says:

From the O’s broadcast “And if they need him, Jim Johnson will be right back out there for a save.”

Please, please do that.