Record Last Week: 2-4 (20 RS, 33 RA)
Season Record: 59-57 (440 RS, 464 RA, 55-61 pythag. record), 10 GB ALE/7.0 GB WC
Opponents This Week: vs. Angels (four games, Mon. to Thurs.), @ Red Sox (three games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The week started with a pair of Biogenesis-related suspensions: Alex Rodriguez (211 games) and Frankie Cervelli (50 games). A-Rod appealed his suspension and has since returned to the lineup. Both guys were fined a day’s pay by the team for minor infractions.
- After that, the Yankees opened a three-game series with a lowly White Sox in Chicago. The ChiSox crushed Andy Pettitte in the opener, and afterwards the team held a closed-door meeting. The Yankees responded by losing Tuesday’s game before getting swept on a walk-off in the finale.
- Following an off-day, the Tigers came to town for a three-game weekend series. Brett Gardner’s single gave the Yankees a walk-off win on Friday, but Detroit rebounded to clobber New York the next day. The Bombers took their first series in more than a month thanks to Gardner’s walk-off homer yesterday.
- Injury News: Derek Jeter (calf) was placed on the DL for the third time this season. Michael Pineda (shoulder) was placed on the Triple-A DL with tightness. David Phelps (forearm) has a new strain and will be shutdown for two weeks. Cervelli (elbow) doesn’t need surgery. Vidal Nuno (groin) is unlikely to return this year. First round pick OF Aaron Judge (quad) is on the DL.
- Brent Lillibridge was designated for assignment to clear room on the roster for A-Rod. He has since cleared waivers and been outrighted to Triple-A. Dellin Betances was called up to give the team a fresh bullpen arm. David Adams was sent down in a corresponding move. The Cubs claimed Thomas Neal off waivers.
- The Yankees continue to look for help at third base even after A-Rod returned and the trade deadline passed.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.