Aug

Game 135: October in August

(Rich Schultz/Getty)

(Rich Schultz/Getty)

Last night’s series-opening win against the Orioles was great and it means nothing now. This is a new day and there’s a new game to win. That’s how the Yankees have approach the rest of the season because they simply can’t afford to sit around an enjoy a win for much time. They might not make it to the postseason, but you know what? These are playoff games right now. It’s October in August. Here’s the lineup Joe Girardi is running out there against right-hander Scott Feldman:

1. CF Brett Gardner
  2. SS Derek Jeter
  3. 2B Robinson Cano
  4. DH Alfonso Soriano
  5. LF Curtis Granderson
  6. 3B Mark ReynoldsAlex Rodriguez was a late scratch with flu-like symptoms
  7. RF Ichiro Suzuki
  8. 1B Lyle Overbay
  9. C Chris Stewart

And on the mound is right-hander Ivan Nova. His last three starts have been a little shaky but not complete disasters. The Yankees did manage to win all three games, thankfully. Nova walked a career-high tying six batters last time out and if he does that against the Orioles, it’ll be a big problem. They rank dead last in the AL in walk rate (6.7%) and first in MLB in homers (178).

It’s another warm and humid day in New York, and there are some showers in the forecast for later this afternoon. It doesn’t look like they will impact the game unless it goes to extra innings or something, but who really knows with the weather. The game is scheduled to begin a little after 1pm ET and can be seen on YES locally and MLB Network nationally. Enjoy.

Injury Update: Eduardo Nunez (knee) is available off the bench today. No offense to Eduardo, but hopefully the starters stay healthy and they don’t need him.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Rolling Doughnut says:

“They might not make it to the postseason, but you know what? These are playoff games right now.” Spot on. Understand the improbability of a postseason appearance, so sit back and enjoy the baseball and hope for am exciting, kickass ride.

2. Eddard says:

Overbay is worthless. He’s in a slump at the plate and now he’s given Alex the flu.

Nova is the ace of the staff. They need to win with him on the mound. I don’t think he’ll need much support today.

• nsalem says:

Overbay is not worthless Eddard. We probably would not have been this close if it wasn’t for him.

• OldYanksFan says:

Against RHP, Loverboy is at .267 .320 .453 .773, with 12 HRs. Not fantastic, but certainly not hurting the team. The problem is it took too long to get the RHB part of the platoon.

3. Pat D says:

So know MLB has resorted to giving ARod infectious diseases to keep him out of games?

Pathetic.

4. Cy Pettitte says:

Curve looks good early

5. A perfect game or no-hitter would be nice today, it’s only been 14 years.

Doubtful if that will happen though.

6. UncleArgyle@hotmail.com says:

God damnit, I hate bunting in that spot. So dumb

7. Eddard says:

This team has a lot more power in the lineup but is still in love with that bunt.

8. nsalem says:

Robbie made that look so easy.

9. Well, that was a good start. Now we need more.

10. nycsportzfan says:

This lineup right now is better then last yrs in my opinion. I know overall it mite not seem that way, but Soriano is really good offensivley, and Romine has raked for awhile now, an Grandy is still here, and the additon of Reynolds is pretty significant..etc I’m talking about the lineup as of today as well. Its got good balance, with power and speed, and lefty/rigthy right through. This offense is torrid. And yes, I said Torrid!

• nycsportzfan says:

I’m talking a healthy lineup with Gardy, Ichiro, Jeter, as table setters/occasional pop, and the boppers Alex, Soriano, Granderson, and a decent mix of youth and veteranship with Romine,Nunez,Reynolds, Overbay coming off the bench.

This offense looks well constructed now. If tex was healthy, we’d hav ea great defender and even more pop, plus a SH with power.

Its not a bad job by Cashman at all. All this is happening with Hughes and CC doing nothing this yr.

11. nycsportzfan says:

I love watching Nova pitch. Its so nice to see mid 90′s heat, and solid offspeed. This guys legit.

12. nycsportzfan says:

Ya nova!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sick DP!!!!!

13. Kramerica Industries says:

Weiters has absurd success against Nova.

14. Cy Pettitte says:

I hope CC is taking notes

15. nycsportzfan says:

Gut feeling Overbay goes yard today.

16. Rolling Doughnut says:

The new Nova is pretty awesome

17. Wheels says:

Suck it up A-Rod and get out there.

18. Eddard says:

And the surprising thing about Nova is that basically everyone except me wanted to trade him away. Now he’s the defacto ace of the staff. And he makes peanuts compared to CC. Just goes to show you what can happen when you develop young starting pitching and have the patience to stick with the kid.

19. Kramerica Industries says:

Enough of this “no toe tap” BS. If the solution were this simple, than Reynolds would be a moron for not figuring that out years ago.

Short-term adjustments can yield short-term success. And then pitchers adapt, and the process begins anew.

• RetroRob says:

Sadly, agreed. Reynolds is what he is. Great power, can take a walk, strikes out a ton, low to very-low BA, and about as hot and cold a player as there is in a game. I had him on a fantasy team of mine a couple years running because I needed power, so I would follow his hitting streaks. He doesn’t go cold for a week or even a month. He might go cold for half a season, then have blistering six-week stretch where he gets 80% of his production. I am being a bit over-the-top, but not by much. He is streaky.

Of course, that’s why the Yankees need to be playing him. He could carry them for a month and he does seem to be hitting well now.

But back to your point. I don’t see a player making a great leap and changes this far into his career.

20. Cy Pettitte says:

Mark Reynolds’ defense at 2nd/3rd has been surprisingly impressive.

• lee says:

i was just thinking the same thing — but career-wise, he’s -12 UZR/150 at 3B and -4 at 1B. sure has looked better than that so far as a Yankee.

21. Kramerica Industries says:

John Flaherty is like the baseball version of Jon Gruden. I don’t think he’s capable of saying anything negative about anybody.

I mean, seriously, we’re hyping up Wilson freakin’ Betemit right now? Does he even remember how much of a schmuck he was as a Yankee?

22. lee says:

Reynolds sure has been a nice surprise defensively. were we expecting that when we picked him up?

• RetroRob says:

He is probably the worst-defensive 3B’man in the game. His first year with the Orioles he hit something like 35+ HRs and walked 80 times and had a negative WAR. His defensive was rated that poorly. We can argue and quibble over the accuracy of WAR, but that negative WAR number driven off of his defense is saying something.

The Orioles moved him to 1B eventually. Yet he has looked acceptable at 3B, 1B and, gasp, even 2B, but the more he plays the more he’ll be exposed with the glove.

• Mike Axisa says:

That play was nice, but he has a knack for making easy plays look hard.

23. Rolling Doughnut says:

An error! oh my,

24. Kramerica Industries says:

Machado and Jones probably hurt some of their offensive value since they simply don’t take walks, at all.

25. I have it to Ron Darling or Sid Fernandez.

Not really sure what the answer is here.

26. Kramerica Industries says:

That trivia answer will surprise you.

Think knuckleballers.

27. Holy crap the drop from Hough to Darling.

28. That grazed the jersey? Maybe?

29. Kramerica Industries says:

Haven’t really done anything at the plate since the 1st inning.

Would be nice if Nova had a little more cushion to work with.

30. Eddard says:

Nova could win this ballgame 1-0 and go all 9 innings but it would be nice if they scored a few more runs for him. They never score runs for him.

31. Kenny says:

Gettin’ tired of seeing Feldman maintain command. Yankees seem a bit off, tired maybe.

32. HateMclouth (formerly I'mVernon) says:

Lets get some more runs on the board here; Nova’s been great so far.

33. Rolling Doughnut says:

PH for Stewart ffsake

34. nycsportzfan says:

It wasent a HR(yet), but theres a solid opp field single by Overbay.

35. trr says:

Effective bunt

36. Eddard says:

That’s all Stewie can do anymore is bunt a runner over.

37. trr says:

C’mon Jeter, get the ball into the air

38. Looked bang-bang at first.

39. Cuso says:

That was a crap pitch to swing at, Cap’n.

Kill that rally.

40. trr says:

Hate to say it, but Jeter is showing absolutely zilch so far

41. Eddard says:

And there went a great chance to get an insurance run.

42. lee says:

Jeter GIDP with RISP. who didn’t see that coming?

43. OldYanksFan says:

Looked to me that the 2nd baseman left the bag before he got the ball. The old proximity play?

44. Kramerica Industries says:

He’s 39 years old with bad feet and legs, so there’s a very good excuse.

But Jeter simply hasn’t been able to hit at all.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

But didn’t Jeter lead the League in GIDP in 2011?

• Kramerica Industries says:

Jeter’s always hit into a great deal of double plays. That’s not exactly new.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

Then the bad feet and legs are no excuse, which is the point of my post. Thanks for making it again.

• Kramerica Industries says:

But Jeter could still drive the ball. He hasn’t been able to do that in any of his post-DL stints.

Surely you are not trying to say that he’s not been affected by battling back from injuries all season as a near-40 year old player, correct?

• RetroRob says:

He is probably in the equivalent of ten days into Spring Training. He shouldn’t be playing, and I’m convinced his muscle pulls are because he is not in game shape and probably won’t be until next year.

Yet there isn’t much choice now for the Yankees.

45. Rolling Doughnut says:

The neighborhood play. I wonder how that will be called on a challenge next year.

46. OldYanksFan says:

Bad pitch selection by Jeter. Ball was way in on his hands.

47. lee says:

why didn’t Girardi have Gardner try to steal second before letting Jeter swing?

48. First legit hit off Nova today.

49. Chris Davis also shot himself in the foot with that Maris statement. He’s slowed since then.

• Kenny says:

What did he say? I must have missed it.

• Maris all-season HR leader not Bonds.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Hey, I think he’s right.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

73 is the record for the era. The asterisk era. And Maris’ record is for 162 games, not 154 so I guess it’a all about how you want to spin it.

• OldYanksFan says:

It’s a shame that because of PEDs, some people ignor what an absolutely, never-been-seen-before hitter Bonds was that year. He hit 73 HRs in 476 AB (with 177 BB). Maris hit 61 HRs in 590 AB (94 BB). If Bonds had gotten 590 AB, he would have hit 90 HRs. (NINETY…. NINETY!)

Bonds was amazing that year. His ABs were the most exciting baseball I’ve ever seen.

• RetroRob says:

…and I am quite sure he said that so that if he broke Maris’ A.L. record he could then claim to be the single-season HR champ for all of MLB, so he had to get on the record before hand.

I have to say, I try to give every player the benefit of the doubt, and PEDs don’t even both all that much, but every player who has challenged and/or past Maris (McGwire, Sosa, Bonds) have all done so with some chemical aid. So now I have to believe that Davis is the first player since Maris to be legit and hit 61 (if that were to happen)?

If that’s the case, it should be wildly celebrated, yet even I will question it. That’s probably the real damage of PEDs.

• Eddard says:

He’s right, though. 61 is still the legitimate single season record and if Davis hits 62 he’ll be the first player to pass it legitimately.

• I am one who says its 73 not 61.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Just because we have no idea what Roger Maris did in 1961 does not mean he may not have had some little help from supplements.

I would never directly accuse Maris of cheating or wrongdoing, but I will say that baseball has always had its fair share of cheating, it’s just we notice it more in the last 20 years.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

You’re comparing greenies, sign stealing and loaded bats to steroids? Get real.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Besides the fact that I never really said that, you seem to be making the argument that “those crimes aren’t as bad as these crimes”.

Well, isn’t a crime a crime?

• Rolling Doughnut says:

I never said you said anything. I was asking you a question. Hence the question mark. Do you actually read these posts or what? I’m saying steroids and greenies are different in the same way jaywalking is different from armed robbery.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Yes, they are, and I would certainly not say the two have the same effect, just as I would not say a jay-walker is a bad person like an armed robber (likely) is.

My point only being that cheating is cheating, and if it is against the rules, then it should be treated the same way. Again, I am not in the least accusing Maris of this directly, but I am saying that the cheating culture, be it drugs or on-field enhancements (spitballs, everything Gaylord Perry did, etc.), has been around as long as baseball has. This is why I have such a hard time romanticizing the halcyon days like that; those guys weren’t exactly better than the guys today are, it’s just their products weren’t as good.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

I think I got your point, but I am not judging these guys morally. I’m looking at how much the stats are skewed by the various classes of PED’s and steroids are way off the charts. Which is why the 73 should come with an asterisk.

• Kramerica Industries says:

To me, personally, I’ve just become disoriented with the stat culture of being a baseball fan. There shouldn’t have to be debates about whether 61, 70, or 73 are the hallowed numbers.

Being the no-BS kind of person I am, I accept 73 as the record, whether I want to or not. But I do understand why others think differently.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Greenies have a pretty big effect, actually, and they would be illegal now if I’m not mistaken.

• RetroRob says:

Greenies are a PED.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

Yes of course. No argument there. But anabolic steroids are in a different class, aren’t they? They affect performance MUCH more than amphetamines do. You seem to be saying, by analogy, that heroin and pot should be viewed in the same light. Are you?

• RetroRob says:

That’s a bit of a strawman. There are those (players included) who believe greenies have impacted the game more.

Most of the evidence on steroids suggests minimal uplift, and indeed most of the players who have tested positive have been mediocre to worse. Fact is, we don’t really know what they do.

Funny you mention pot. As I sit here typing, the smell of weed has entered my apartment. Seems the people below me are having a few hits. No laws being broken. I’m in Amsterdam! No idea if there is any heroin.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

And we know that Bonds had more drugs in him than a pharmaceutical at Wal-Mart.

I’m going to guess that what Maris was doing 1) Wasn’t cheating, and 2) Wasn’t against the rules.

More than that, we have absolutely no reason to believe he took drugs except “Maybe he did.” That’s not a reason at all, and as far as we know he didn’t cheat. And Bonds did.

• Alkaline says:

Is it bad I’m becoming very apathetic towards the whole PED thing?

50. Kramerica Industries says:

And, to me, that’s just bullshit on Chris Davis part.

51. Rolling Doughnut says:

Nice hustle Grandy. Cano would have been thrown out at first.

52. Wow, Justin Morneau to the Pirates…

• Alkaline says:

Pirates are really making a push- that’s great to see. They got a good season and a chance to take advantage of it and they are. They could have been content with just an above .500 season.

• Kosmo says:

Pirates total 1st base production is slightly better than Morneau´s, not sure why they need him ?

• RetroRob says:

Add another bat for September and the postseason. A DH bat for any games agains the AL is September (have no idea if there are any) and certainly if the make the World Series. A dangerous PH’r for pitchers. Overall he strengthens the team because it will push a weaker hitter to have less ABs, or even be pushed off the roster entirely.

Fangraphs speculated on the value of Morneau to the Pirates recently.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Morneau also hit the ball well in August, and if there’s a chance he’s finally getting past those 2011-2012 concussion doldrums, being a FA at the end of the year and coming at a low cost (not to mention playoff experience), then it’s absolutely worth it on the Pirates end.

• Kosmo says:

“ Even then, the difference is likely to be negligible.“

• RetroRob says:

Yup, but if my team is in the postseason, I don’t worry about what a writer says. I pick up a hitter that gives me a chance to be better.

53. Kramerica Industries says:

Really starting to get this feeling the Yankees inability to get insurance runs is going to cost them dearly.

Kinda like the Kuroda game last time against Baltimore.

54. Alkaline says:

Random question. I was watching earlier and the one O player got hit by Nova for a HPB, but it bounced in the dirt way before it hit him. That still counts as a HBP apparently?

• Alkaline says:

Just looked it up myself first, and wiki states that it’s obviously true, but I feel like I have the memory of replays trying to show if it hit the dirt or a batter’s foot first, etc. What kind of tricks is my mind playing on me!

• Need Pitching & Hitting & Defense & Baserunning says:

55. Eddard says:

Chevy player of the game, I wonder who that will be.

56. Eddard says:

Hit and run with Chris Stewart and Lyle Overbay had all the makings of disaster.

57. itsallhowuseeit says:

Lame trying to hit and run with stewart

• nsalem says:

I thought it was a better call than the bunt. Feldman doesn’t miss lots of bats and if Chris had put the ball on the ground something good could have happened.

58. Rolling Doughnut says:

The Cap’t is in rare form this afternoon.

59. lee says:

Jeter GIDP with RISP — it’s deja vu all over again!!!!! is Girardi awake?

• Need Pitching & Hitting & Defense & Baserunning says:

What does Girardi have to do with that?

• Rolling Doughnut says:

He’s been shit since he came back. Injuries and age, etc. OK but sit him or PH for him? But that would be sacrilege right?

• Need Pitching & Hitting & Defense & Baserunning says:

Nunez injured (but maybe available), ARod sick, Wells is Wells. Not much of an option at this point.

• OldYanksFan says:

Because if a player shits himself, it’s Girardi’s fault… or maybe Cashman’s. If it’s not on Girardi or Cashman, it’s ARod’s fault. Get with the program.

60. trr says:

Jeter killing us now

61. Eddard says:

Jeter needs to sit tomorrow.

62. Kramerica Industries says:

And ANOTHER double play.

You’re killing us, Derek.

63. itsallhowuseeit says:

Can Jeter please see A Rods cousin

64. Need Pitching & Hitting & Defense & Baserunning says:

I know it will never happen, but they should really consider dropping Jeter in the lineup, at least until he starts to heat up.

• lee says:

exactly — to be fair to Jeter it’s still early spring training for him. it will be another couple of weeks before he’s really up to speed — whatever speed that might be at his age.

• trr says:

I’m really concerned; he’s not driving the ball at all, just weak g/b’s
      And with no range in the field , well…..

• Need Pitching & Hitting & Defense & Baserunning says:

Too early to make any definitive judgments, especially since I’m not sure he’s even 100% physically yet, but yeah…he looks bad so far.

• yankee fan 1 says:

Well he saved us on that last play. Huge DP!

• vicki says:

this is word-for-word the comment i came here to make.

65. itsallhowuseeit says:

Nova pumped!

66. nsalem says:

Nova should get to finish this off.

67. Kramerica Industries says:

Nova damn well better start the 9th inning.

68. itsallhowuseeit says:

Huge!

69. Need Pitching & Hitting & Defense & Baserunning says:

The DP taketh, and the DP giveth.

70. Eddard says:

8 SHUTOUT INNINGS! LET THE MAN FINISH WHAT HE STARTED!

71. Need Pitching & Hitting & Defense & Baserunning says:

Mo or Nova for the 9th?
    Tough decision. I wouldn’t complain either way, but I think I’d stay with Nova.

• Kenny says:

Only 88 pitches. I’d probably start the inning with Nova, see what happens, but have Rivera or Robertson ready.

72. McLouth, Machado, Davis for the 9th.

Get run support please…

73. RetroRob says:

I would have Nova pitch the 9th, no disprect to Mo, but when a pitcher is dominating a lineup in a close game (one run), removing him inserts and element of the unknown (even if it’s Mo). Have Mo warming, have Nova close it out.

74. Alkaline says:

1-0 win over the O’s will be nice.

75. Need Pitching & Hitting & Defense & Baserunning says:

Thanks Robbie!!!!!

76. Pat D says:

Nice time for the insurance blast.

Now let Nova finish them.

77. Naved says:

Super Nova pitching the game of the season right now for the Yanks. GET HIM SOME RUN SUPPORT DAMNIT

78. Kramerica Industries says:

Quietly, Robbie has gotten his numbers against LHP back to well above respectability.

After yesterday, his OPS was around .752 against them. No, not murderous, but certainly acceptable given the way he slaughters RHP.

• Need Pitching & Hitting & Defense & Baserunning says:

And he started off very poorly against LHP this season, too.
      He’s been much better over the past couple of months.

79. itsallhowuseeit says:

Dont ya know

80. Cy Pettitte says:

nice Robbie, Nova should definitely finish it now.

81. Eddard says:

THERE’S THE INSURANCE RUN!

82. Cy Pettitte says:

in retrospect Buck probably over managed bringing in Patton for Cano, probably should have just brought in Gausman to start the inning.

83. Need Pitching & Hitting & Defense & Baserunning says:

fuck

84. OldYanksFan says:

A Walk here means Mo comes in.

85. Rolling Doughnut says:

Here comes Machado. The rubber is meeting the road.

86. nycsportzfan says:

Wow, this could be heartbreaking or a real upbeat win.

87. Rolling Doughnut says:

Bad curve oh fuck

88. RetroRob says:

Unless there is a double play, I see Mo pitching to Davis.

89. nycsportzfan says:

You gotta go MO if somene else gets on.

90. DERP says:

Given everyone’s reaction, I thought that was gone.

91. Need Pitching & Hitting & Defense & Baserunning says:

Super. Nova.

92. DERP says:

Great job Nova.

93. HateMclouth (formerly I'mVernon) says:

Ivan freakin’ Nova!!!

94. Need Pitching & Hitting & Defense & Baserunning says:

Phew. That made me nervous.

95. Cy Pettitte says:

fuck that was close.

96. Rich says:

Ichiro is a troll, making it look like a homer. LOL. ONE MORE NOVA!1

97. itsallhowuseeit says:

Just missed that one

98. Kramerica Industries says:

Ichiro can sure play dramatics with his way of lining up fly balls.

99. DERP says:

Great job by Nova. Pretty sure the Orioles dominated him before these last two starts.

100. Cy Pettitte says:

Nova the ace, so awesome

101. Rolling Doughnut says:

Take notes CC.

102. RetroRob says:

Super Nova, the ace!

103. itsallhowuseeit says:

When is the last time Yanks had 2 starters with era in the twos?

104. Rich says:

But he couldn’t get a Maddux. LoL. Great job again. WHo would’ve guessed Nova would be our best pitcher in September

105. mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Hey Eddard

Still like Hughes over me!

Much love
    Ivan Nova

106. Kramerica Industries says:

Nova, holy shit. What a ballsy outing today.

107. Eddard says:

Ivan Nova is a true ace and he makes a fraction of what CC does. Just goes to show you what can happen when you develop good young pitching and have some patience with the kid. Everyone else wanted to trade him away. I believed.

• mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

” Everyone else wanted to trade him away. I believed.”

WOW!!!!!!

You being one of them!

Too funny

• mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

hypocrite – a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he or she does not hold in order to conceal his or her real feelings or motives

108. Now, the July complete game was a 83 game score.

What was that?

• Kramerica Industries says:

Gave up two fewer runs today, but he had, like, 11 K’s that day, only five today, so that will lower it some.

But the importance of this outing today trumps that one, so I’ll still take today.

• Deathstroke Heathcott says:

85!

109. Kramerica Industries says:

Look who’s now in 3rd place in the AL East and AL Wild Card?

Means nothing if the Yankees don’t win tomorrow. This is actually identical in a way to the last O’s series. Finish this tomorrow. 2/3 isn’t good enough. The Yankees need a sweep.

110. Alkaline says: