Aug

Hale: Kuroda is still undecided about plans for 2014

Via Mark Hale: Impending free agent Hiroki Kuroda is still undecided about his future beyond this season. “At this stage, I can’t imagine what I’m going to do until the season ends … Obviously it builds your confidence to have numbers like these, but at the same time, I have to finish the season and make sure I’m healthy enough to even think about making that decision,” said the right-hander.

Kuroda, 38, has been a legitimate ace this season, ranking second in the AL in ERA (2.33), first in ERA+ (172), eighth in FIP (3.25), seventh in fWAR (3.6), and third in bWAR (5.0). He’s signed one-year contracts in each of the last two winters citing the desire to have freedom to make a decision about his future after each season, though he refuted reports indicating he wanted to end his career back in Japan. “That has never been the case with what I’ve been thinking, but who knows?” he said.

Re-signing Kuroda will be a top priority for the Yankees this offseason, but given the club’s tiny playoff chances and even worse 2014 outlook, I think he will entertain offers from other teams with a better chance at immediate contention. He made it very clear he came (and returned) to New York because he wants to win. “My approach,” Kuroda added, “has always been if I get an offer from any team, no matter where they’re from, I will take that as seriously as possible and make a decision out of it.”

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Nedro says:

Bye, #HIROK

2. Oy says:

Suppose he finishes with an ERA under 2.5. Willl he get 1 year 30mm from anyone?

3. Rolling Doughnut says:

Kuroda has about as much chance of staying with the Yanks as they do of getting the second WC.

4. Carl says:

I will go out and say it if they do not resign Hirouki they are rebuilding! If they give qualifying offers to Kuroda, Granderson, and Hughes they will get three draft picks plus the draft pick that they would get by virtue of how they finish this year. This could be huge for the Yankees! On the other hand Kuroda has been worth watching this season so I am sad he may leave! I am just saying it is not all sour grapes!

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

Where are you going out to say this?

If the Yankees offer him 1 year and 25 mil and he goes elsewhere, I’m preeeetty sure that’s not a sign of rebuilding. Also, they can rebuild and still keep guys like Hiroki if they choose to sign here. That’s what having a lot of money allows you.

• JGYank says:

Hughes will take the offer. Not worth it at all and we don’t want him back so there is no way we offer him it.

• lightSABR says:

I’m afraid you’re right. Here’s hoping he looks good enough for the rest of the season that it’s not the case.

• lightSABR says:

Hmm… looks like he has a 3.76 ERA outside of Yankee Stadium. That by itself could be enough to get him a better deal than a one-year qualifying offer.

• JGYank says:

I don’t think so. Teams will look at his 4.99 era before that and I don’t even want to know what his home era is. They’ll look at his straight fastball and lack of a strikeout pitch and all the bombs he has given up that would go out in most ballparks. Not to mention all the pitches he leaves over the middle of the plate and not pitching deep into games. He might attract some interest but I can’t possibly see him getting over $10M when teams can use his crappy stats/pitching as a bargaining chip. His stats suggest he is a replacement level player this year and at best an average pitcher.

• JGYank says:

Plus if we did give him the QO and he declined, I have a feeling teams won’t feel he’s worth giving up a draft pick for unless it’s one of those top ten protected picks so that limits his suitors.

5. Kramerica Industries says:

If Kuroda leaves the Yankees, it damn well better be on his own terms.

After the season he has had, the Yankees have no excuse not to make every possible effort to keep this guy.

6. NYPLATOONS says:

Should have traded him! This team doesn’t know how to trade for the future. They hold onto everyone way to long! As if they owe their players! Could you picture the prospects or mlb ready players the Yankees could have got for Cano & Kudora?

• jjyank says:

I can also picture a bunch of prospects flaming out and failing to be even competent big leaguers. Why do so many people think that selling was/is a slam dunk?

• JGYank says:

Can you picture wasting Kuroda and Cano for serious risks that don’t usually make the bigs and don’t always contribute much when they do? I like prospects but there is nothing like proven talented players that are the core of your team. You don’t see the Rockies moving Tulo and Cargo do you? Because those are the guys you build around not sell.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Could you picture the prospects or mlb ready players the Yankees could have got for Cano & Kudora?”

Like the haul the Indians got for CC Sabathia? Or the haul the Marlins got for Miguel Cabrera? It’s not as easy as “oh, trade these guys for top prospects and we’re set up for the next 10 years!!!!”

• jjyank says:

Kinda funny, Matt LaPorta was the first person I thought of when I read the original comment.

• JGYank says:

Exactly. Threw away awesome players for almost nothing. A lot can go wrong with prospects. Injuries, not talented enough, become a bust, mechanical flaws, off the field problems. If you are going to sell make sure you are going to get some major league talent and not some organizational players.

• lightSABR says:

Or how about the haul the Rays got for James Shields?

It’s easy to point to teams that sold pieces and got better, and to teams that sold pieces and got worse. It all depends on what you get in return, and what you’re giving up.

I would have been happy to see the Yankees trade Kuroda and Cano – provided they got a good enough return – because I suspect that neither of them will contribute to the next contending Yankees team, which I suspect we’ll not see earlier than 2015 or more realistically 2016. By that time, Kuroda will be gone, and Cano will probably still be here and probably still be better than average, but he’ll be badly overpaid.

• ChrisS says:

All prospects suck, except if they’re Yankee prospects and then they’re awesome. Until they’re not and they suck, too.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

What forums do YOU frequent?

That should read:

All prospects suckare awesome, except if they’re Yankee prospects and then they’re awesome miserable failures.

• ChrisS says:

This one. And for a lot longer than you, peckerhead.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

Heh. If you’ve been here since the founding, then good for you. Your comments wouldn’t give that away, weinerhead.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Jim is Gettin NASTY.

I actually am sad to say I get was ChrisS was saying there. Just look at a DOTF comment section. Every guy hitting double digit HRs in Low-A is the next great Yankee…..until they hit AA.

7. Get Phelps Up says:

He re signed with the 2011 Dodgers in the exclusive negotiating period and that team didn’t really have such great postseason expectations.

8. Cuso says:

Kuroda will be in Boston next year.

9. JGYank says:

I think he retires at the top of his game so he goes out on a good note. If he does continue playing, there is a good chance he stays here.

10. SDB says:

Please give this man a blank check. Hirok has become one of my favorite people to wear pinstripes.

11. 28 this year says:

On a one year deal, you give him everything he wants to make it work.

12. Bavarian Yankee says:

but but but I thought Japanese pitchers suck!?

13. Get Phelps Up says:

Also, were we really expecting him to say anything else at this point of the season?

14. Bo Knows says:

OT: But Slade is going on the DL with a knee injury, might miss the rest of the season

• The Real Greg says:

More of Brian’s stocked farm system

• Bo Knows says:

You have seriously become a troll dude, how is it Cashman’s fault Slade is hurt?

Anyway, the injury isn’t said to be too serious, meaning it’ll be something that should heal with just rest.

15. Greg says:

if he just wanted to win, he’d go back to the Dodgers.

16. Tyrone Sharpton says:

this guy is gone. depressing to think about 2014

17. Robinson Tilapia says:

How a bunch of blog commenters view the internal workings of this franchise is different than how actual players view it.

This is a veteran player who, in the recent past, has had his own pretty solid, limited idea of where he wants to play, and it’s gone something like, “Yankees, West Coast, Japan, or retirement.”

This is also one of the most respectful, principled players I know of in baseball. He is going to say the right thing at the right time, and this is the right thing to say at the right time.

In other words, none of this means anything.

My thoughts? He’s a Yankee for one more go-around, maybe even two.

18. HateMclouth (formerly I'mVernon) says:

I’d love to have him for another year. I do wonder though what his price will be given his great stats for a pitcher in the AL East and YS. Not that that matters though, since there’s a lot of money coming off the books (and A-Rods possible suspension). $20m (just spit balling) for one year (up from $15m) sounds like a lot.

19. RetroRob says:

One advantage the Yankees have is once they extend a QO, the signing team will have to forfeit their first-round pick and do so for a one-year signing.