Aug

Nightengale: MLB asks permission to reveal all info on A-Rod

Via Bob Nightengale: MLB has formally requested permission from Alex Rodriguez‘s camp to publicly release all of their evidence against him. “While we believe that your public comments are already in breach of the confidentiality provisions of [the Joint Drug Agreement], we will agree to waive those provisions … with respect to Rodriguez’s entire history under the Program, including, but not limited to, his testing history, test results, violations of the Program, and all information and evidence,” said MLB VP Rob Manfred in a letter to A-Rod‘s lawyer.

This is really getting to be silly. MLB has been leaking information for weeks — like clockwork, really, every day during the 5-6pm ET hour something new comes out — but now they’re asking permission? A-Rod’s camp has already said no (as they should have), but now the leaks will continue anyway. Maybe they won’t leak the actual evidence, but there will still be stories about this and that intending to scare Rodriguez. The league has definitely succeeded at making this whole situation messier than it needs to be with this mudslinging. Crazy idea: Respect due process and everyone shut up until the appeal hearing.

Categories : Asides, STEROIDS!

1. jjyank says:

“Crazy idea: Respect due process and everyone shut up until the appeal hearing.”

If only.

I swear to Mo, I’m going to throw giant fuckin’ party when this is all over. That’s right. You’re all invited to cram into my tiny little studio apartment in celebration.

So sick of this crap every single day.

2. Evan3457 says:

Confronted with the MLB request on the Today Show, Tacopina said, in so many words, we agree to the release of all the evidence showing A-Rod never took PEDs, such as the drug tests for the last few seasons.

But then, he’s A-Rod’s attorney, so he’s just doing his job.

• Gonzo says:

Not quite. Tacopina actually asked for them to waive the confidentiality clause. At least that was my interpretation of his Today Show appearance.

Worth the watch for the humor. Surprised Mike didn’t add this to the post.

• JGYank says:

Wow. They completely set him up. I bet he would love nothing more than to get out of there. Arod’s lawyers are about as clutch as he was last postseason.

• Evan3457 says:

I thought he said this:

A-Rod’s lawyer Joe Tacopina “would love nothing more” than to defend A-Rod and to talk about his testing history.

His testing history being his clean drug tests from 2009-2013, I would think.

3. JLC 776 says:

This needs to turn into a movie ending where somehow A-Rod and Selig must fight each other to the death just after finding out they are father and son.

4. Gus says:

“A-Rod’s camp has already said no (as they should have), but now the leaks will continue anyway”

Didn’t his lawyer tell Matt Lauer that they would love to sign it or something to that effect?

• lightSABR says:

Sort of, but he also suggested that it was all a stunt because it was impossible for him to agree to that sort of thing, and he fudged his language a bit to make it unclear whether he’d consent to the release of everything or just to specific things like A-Rod’s drug tests that wouldn’t actually help MLB’s case.

• Gonzo says:

He did say, “If the Vice President of Major League Baseball would be good enough to waive the confidentiality clause, I would love nothing more than to talk about Alex Rodriguez’ testing history, and various things. I would love nothing more.”

• vicki says:

does he mean torre? i know mlb has several vice presidents, but i’ve felt torre’s presence all over this mess.

• Gonzo says:

No clue.

• VT Yankee Fan says:

MLB Executives:

Allan H. (Bud) Selig Commissioner of Baseball
            Tim Brosnan Executive Vice President, Business
            Rob Manfred Executive Vice President, Economics & League Affairs
            Jonathan Mariner Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
            John McHale Jr. Executive Vice President, Administration & Chief Information Officer
            Joe Torre Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations
            Frank Robinson Executive Vice President of Baseball Development

Seems like it would have to be Torre.

• JGYank says:

I’m assuming its Manfred since he sent the letter but I’m probably wrong.

5. Brazilian Fan says:

I honestly think that Alex and his lawyers are the ones leaking the worst stuff not MLB.

He is the one that is trying to fade out of atention with those acusations agains the Yankees and MLB.

This seems like a desperate move from ALex camp in my opinion.

6. OldYanksFan says:

The biggest accusation seemed to be that the Yankees hid MRI results.
    “I found out about 10 to 12 days later, after Detroit (in the ALCS) that I had a big hole in my left hip. Dr. Philippon said I needed to have immediate surgery. So that’s that. … The MRI is the MRI. I had a big hole in my left labrum. I’m just telling you what the doctors were saying.”

Man… someone is lying out their ass. Obviously, my first response to the above is “let’s see that MRI”.

Is there an MRI? Would ARod’s camp have the balls to say this if there wasn’t? And if there is NOT one, why bother to make the above statement?

• Manny's BanWagon says:

So if Brian Kelly and the Yankees hid Arod’s MRI results and allowed him to play, why did Arod allow Kelly to be the one who operated on his hip?

Makes no sense that you’d allow a doctor who you thought did you wrong to operate.

Besides, plenty of players have played with a torn hip labrum in the past just like they’ve played with torn meniscus, ACLs, torn rotator cuffs, etc.

Another attempt by Arod to deflect attention from the main issue at hand.

7. lightSABR says:

I don’t know, Mike. I like the League’s move. Confidentiality agreements are the only way Tacopina was able to get away with the crazy allegations he threw around on Saturday. I for one wouldn’t mind getting all the evidence out in the open right away, if only to put the brakes on the crazy leak-and-spin games both sides are playing.

• Andy says:

Alex’s camp has made the MRI results public.

• lightSABR says:

I hadn’t seen that. Thanks for pointing it out.

This makes Tacopina’s story more plausible, but something’s still fishy. When did A-Rod find out about the MRI that was supposedly taken during the Baltimore series? Why didn’t he file a grievance then?

8. The Oberamtmann says:

What would happen if one of these players suspended or even just accused sued MLB over the leaks as breach of confidentiality?

9. Andy says:

A-Rod’s lawyer apparently gave NBC the MRI results: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankees So A-Rod did “put up or shut up.” Seems like we should know shortly whether those results in fact showed that A-Rod’s had a tear in his hip that was not dislcosed to him.

• Gonzo says:

Yeah but this has to do with the Yankees not MLB.

• OldYanksFan says:

Yes… but when was THIS MRI taken? During PS play? We know there was an MRI AFTER the PS, and at that point the Yankees announced that ARod has a bad LEFT hip and would need surgery.

So ARod’s team is saying that an MRI was taken PREVIOUS to the one taken AFTER the PS? Are these things dated?

• lightSABR says:

The claim is that it was taken during the series with Baltimore and that A-Rod didn’t find out about it until after the Yankees were eliminated.

Some more facts need to come out. This still isn’t adding up. I can’t imagine that the Yankees would do what they’re accused of on purpose–it’s both too evil and too dumb, given the consequences if they were caught–and if they did do it, why didn’t they make sure the records of that MRI disappeared? When did A-Rod find out about it, and why didn’t he file a grievance then?

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

MRI’s are dated. It’s not a mystery.

10. OldYanksFan says:

I admit I’m rooting for ARod.
    On one hand, any suspension of 150 games or more saves the Yankees at least $25m off the Tax cap. At the same time, it probably ends ARod’s career. No more ARod, no more milestones, no more of all this ‘fun’.

I have a hard time believing ARod’s camp could say all this shit without having something to back it up.

However, I realize that ARod, at this point, has nothing to lose.
    If he is suspended for a season or more, his effective playing days are probably over. What happens after that, and with the remainder of the dollars on the contract, is anyone’s guess.

But ARod will be off the field, his stats will sit where they are at the end of this September, and the HOF will be out of the question.

I honestly don’t get most of this.
    It’s hard to believe ARod would make these accusations, if they weren’t (at least partially) true.
    It’s hard to believe the Yankees could be this sleazy.
    It’s hard to believe that MLB and Bud could be this sleazy.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

It’s NOT hard to believe that MLB and Bud could be this sleazy.

He’s had plenty of practice. He’s a used car salesman fer crissakes.

• I'm a looser baby, so why don't you kill me? (Formerly not the droids you're looking for...) says:

Precisely. Only a sanctimonious two faced opportunistic idiotic hypocrite like Selig could oversee anything this mismanaged. All you need to do is gauge general sentiment in the wider media to know that Alex – though looking more bizarre daily – is looking increasingly sympathetic.

• jjyank says:

“I hope Alex scorches the earth with Bud’s anus, as well as the hypocritical drivel from which spews forth.”

Although I hope he also scorches the Earth with a baseball bat :)

• Alan says:

My dream scenario is as follows:

Yankees continue their hot hitting and make the playoffs. Miracle in itself right now. Win the ALDS and move on to the ALCS. They win that and move on to the world series. A-Rod goes on a tear and destroys the baseball, while his appeal is still pending. Bud Selig hands Rodriguez the WS MVP trophy while he’s awaiting arbitration on a 211 game suspension.

• Josh S. says:

And then every non-Yankees fan complains that the WS title is tainted. Only this time the argument won’t be because the Yanks bought the title, it’s because A-Rod shouldn’t have been playing!! Gotta love it.

11. Sons of Steinbrenner says:

Better call Saul!

12. Andy says:

Right. I was addressing the post that asked whether there was an MRI. I’m surprised the press hasn’t reported the MRI results yet. While I agree it has nothing to do with MLB’s suspension for PEDs, the fight with the Yankees is a major story as well. If Alex’s position turns out to have some merit, that would do a lot to boost his crediblity and would be a bombshell story. Hard to believe Alex’s lawyers would go on the offensive without the proof to back it up, as crazy as hiding an MRI result sounds.

13. VT Yankee Fan says:

I can’t believe how weak and inept the union has been on this issue. It’s fine to say that you are not going to protect players that are dirty but you can’t let the league just arbitrarily punish members and you certainly can’t allow them to violate the CBA with the constant leaks.

14. OldYanksFan says:

Guys…. saw this comment on the RLYW site, and have a question about it.
    Do YOU think this guy is angry?

“I hope A-Rod faces Dempster again and rips a liner that hits him in the head, turning him into a drooling moron. Then I hope that Selig runs on the field to cradle the wounded Dempster in his arms, and A-rod hits him with a bat so hard that not only does Selig die, but all his offspring and their offspring die. Then I hope that A-Rod feeds Levine into a wood-chipper, alive, and that the spray of ultra-fine bone chips is used to blind John Lackey, and that he is then let loose into the wilderness with no hope and no future. Finally, I hope that Ortiz gets trapped in a 7even scenario where Gammons has no choice but to kill him by shoving steroids, molded into a knife shape, up his lying cheating ass.”

(I don’t know…. maybe the offspring stuff is a bit over the top?)

15. Pat D says:

I enjoyed this Twitter exchange last night:

keithlaw ?@keithlaw:
    If they’re not your rights, who gives a crap?

RT @standeeks: the appeal process is a joke. He shouldn’t even be in a game right now.

Once again, KLaw wins.

16. Sweet Dick Willie says:

Bud’s worst nightmare is Alex leading the Yankees to the WS title.

Make it happen Alex!

Also, if Bud fails to suspend Dempster, will Alex sue, saying that it in effect gives all pitchers free reign to throw at him?

17. Robinson Tilapia says:

The Alex scandal: Where everyone looks like shit.

18. Darren says:

I am looking forward to this all, finally ending the only way that would make George proud:

Alex leads the Yankees to a World Series win in 2018 as a player/manager, in homage to Pete Rose, who is passed by Jeter as the all-time hits leader on the final day of the season, as Reggie throws candy bars at a nude, brawling Goose Gossage and Cliff Johnson in the owner’s box, with Suzyn Waldman capering on top of a pink elephant shitting all over the Mets in their dugout.