Aug

Offense stays hot: Yankees blow out Red Sox in series opener at Fenway

Source: FanGraphs

Well look at that, The O’Neill Theory worked. The Yankees came out swinging on Friday night, taking a big early lead against the Red Sox before pouring it on again late. That was a wholly satisfying game. Let’s recap the 10-3 win:

• Right Power!: New additions Alfonso Soriano and Mark Reynolds gave the Yankees all the runs they would need in the first three innings. Soriano plated a run with an infield single to short in the first, Reynolds drove in a pair with a two-run homer in the second, and Soriano tacked on three more with a mammoth three-run homer in the third. The Bombers were up six runs before making their seventh offensive out.
  • Dandy Andy: For the first time in eight starts, Andy Pettitte did not allow a first inning run. For the first time in two months, Pettitte looked really sharp. He held the high-powered Sawx to one run on three hits in the first six innings before running out of gas in the seventh, ultimately finishing the night with three runs (all unearned thanks to Eduardo Scissorhands) allowed in 6.2 innings. Andy struck out five and recorded 17 of his 20 outs on the infield. That was a very encouraging outing.
  • Blown Open: The Red Sox closed the gap to four runs in the eighth, but the Yankees blew it open late with three runs in the ninth. Five singles — including three straight by the 7-8-9 hitters with two outs — did the damage. New York had double-digit hits for the fourth straight game (first time since last April) and 15+ hits for the third time in those four games. They scored double-digit runs for the third time in four games as well. Safe to say the offense is clicking on all cylinders. It’s glorious.
  • Shaky ‘Pen: Although they did not allow a run, four relievers combined to put five men on-base in 2.1 innings of work. Shawn Kelley struck out the only man he faced to escape Pettitte’s jam in the seventh, but David Robertson was bailed out by an at ‘em ball double play in the eighth. Joba Chamberlain couldn’t record three outs with a seven-run lead in the ninth. It took all of six hours for the dumb decision to demote Preston Claiborne in favor of Joba to have an on-field impact. David Huff had to clean up the bases loaded mess and end the game. Those last few innings were more interesting than they needed to be considering the score.
  • Leftovers: Soriano became the first Yankee with four straight 3+ hit games since Johnny Damon in August 2006. He also tied a big league record with 18 RBI in a four-game span … Brett Gardner, Nunez, Alex Rodriguez, Reynolds, and Chris Stewart all had two hits as well … Robinson Cano singled and walked … the DH was the only lineup spot without a hit, but Vernon Wells and Curtis Granderson did draw one walk apiece … Michael Kay and Ken Singleton absolutely crushed it while discussing union rights, David Ortiz, and other performance-enhancing drug stuff in the fourth inning. Best inning of the year from the booth.

MLB.com has the box score and video highlights, FanGraphs some other stats, and ESPN the updated standings. The Yankees climbed to within six games in the loss column for the AL East lead, if you’re still holding out hope for a division title. Depending on the outcome of the late game, they’ll be either five games (Athletics lose) or six games (Athletics win) back of the second wildcard spot. Cool Standings has their playoff chances at 9.1%. Hiroki Kuroda and John Lackey is your pitching matchup for Saturday afternoon’s FOX broadcast.

Categories : Game Stories

1. forensic says:

It was talked about a bunch in the game thread and now here too.

Can’t wait to listen to that discussion between Kay and Singleton later on.

Nice win overall. If Kuroda just pitches like himself and the offense continues to do some work, they’ll have this series won before Dempster and Sabathia take the mound on Sunday night.

2. Matt DiBari says:

What exactly are the Yankees trying to accomplish with Joba?

Is it just flat out stubbornness now?

• Nuke Guy (Knoxvillain) says:

They just don’t want to admit and accept that he never lived up to e everyone’s expectations.

• Eddard says:

I made this point in the game thread. Preston should be up here. These next 2 weeks are crucial towards getting back into the race and we need Preston, not Joba to help us. I don’t care if he’ll be back in 2 weeks, he should be here helping us now. We’ve got a DH coming up. What if Kelley, Drob and Mo are unavailable? Do you really want Joba coming in with a game on the line?

3. Brian S. says:

What did Kay and Singleton say about Ortiz and PEDs?

• Eddard says:

Kay said that the Boston fans didn’t boo David Ortiz and that Ortiz’s positive test was swept under the rug. He’s right, it is hypocritical. Kenny was saying that Alex had every right to appeal under the collectively bargained contract and that other players were coming out against A-Rod just because they didn’t want him helping the Yankees win. If the players don’t want A-Rod to play under appeal then the union shouldn’t have bargained that into the deal.

• Brian S. says:

You would think other players would like A-Rod. He helped elevate their salaries.

• forensic says:

And he takes all the heat off of them and has it concentrated on him.

• dalelama says:

It just goes to show that someone can be a big enough of a douche bag that no amount of money will make them popular. Also finding out Aroid is also snitch isn’t going to help his rep. How low do you have to be to snitch on a borderline major leaguer like Cervelli when how have received over $375M in salary over they years.

4. Eddard says:

This was the swing game and they won it easily. Even the depleted lineup was able to get to Lackey and Dempster the last time we faced them so just imagine what this lineup can do. That old lineup went 3-4 deep, this one goes 8 deep and we still have another big bat to add in Jeter. If Kuroda and CC put up performances like Andy did tonight they’ll sweep and be right back in the race.

5. Bartolo's Colon says:

Great recap, I missed most all of the game driving down to Delaware. What did Kay say? My dislike for Kay has grown over the last few years and exponentially lately with the arod stuff. Would love to hear some positive stuff from him once in a while, disappointed I missed it.

6. ropeadope says:

I’m gonna be really pissed when I wake up and realize it was all a dream, and first pitch is still several hours away.

7. forensic says:

It’ll be kind of interesting to see who the lineup tomorrow includes.

Obviously he won’t sit tomorrow with how hot he’s been, but Soriano has terrible numbers against Lackey (in over 30 PA’s). Despite a .200 BA (in over 80 PA’s), A-Rod has 5 homers against him. Day game after night game, righty pitcher, and has played 6 straight days so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him sit (unfortunately Nix is 0-7 against Lackey). Gardner, Granderson, and Overbay will all obviously play and have very nice numbers against him. Stewart is 0-2 and Romine is 1-2, so maybe we’ll even get a game without Stewart.

I know, most don’t care much about these things given some of the sample sizes and time since facing each other, but I still find them interesting.

• Eddard says:

I hope A-Rod plays all 3 games at 3rd. Only a fool would sit Soriano now and the 3 lefty outfielders are sure to play against two RHPs. That means A-Rod will have to play 3rd these next two days and then there’s a built in day off on Monday. DH on Tuesday so he can play one game and take the other off.

• HateMclouth (formerly I'mVernon) says:

Agree re: Soriano, lets get as much as we can from him through this little hot streak he’s having. For all we know he could turn into a pumpkin a la Vernon Wells.

• Deathstroke Heathcott says:

At least there’s some reason to believe Soriano isn’t entirely a flash in the pan unlike Vernon Wells.

• ropeadope says:

If I were filling out the lineup card:

1. CF Brett Gardner
      2. RF Ichiro Suzuki
      3. 2B Robinson Cano
      4. DH Alfonso Soriano
      5. LF Curtis Granderson
      6. 3B Alex Rodriguez
      7. 1B Lyle Overbay
      8. SS Eduardo Nunez
      9. C Austin Romine
      But that’s just me.

8. Nuke Guy (Knoxvillain) says:

For the first time all year baseball is actually fun.

9. ExitCashman says:

This organization has no idea how to handle prospects. Cano: Was ready to part with him for A-Rod; Phil and Joba: Held on until they proved themselves useless; Montero: Traded baseball’s #1 prospect for an injured pitcher (or 2)… and that’s just recent history.
    Whoever said that the Yankees farm system was #10-14 in the majors should please tell us what prospects are IN this system, because, no one believes that there are that many to warrant the ranking.

10. HateMclouth (formerly I'mVernon) says:

Very satisfying game. Offense, Andy of old, and a total beat down of the Sox. Gonna be gone for a week for a volunteer trip abroad, so I’m looking forward to coming home to a nice 5 game win streak or so.

11. Algae says:

The Red Sox also traded for A-Rod which never went through because the players association did not want him to devalue his contract. Thus a trade to Yankees for Soriano, which comes full circle with him coming back to the Yankees. None of us have all the information, an arbitrator will. This is why there is a collectively bargained process in place. I am hesitant to jump to any conclusions because I am working with imperfect information. An arbitrator will not be.

12. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

If we win this series against the Sox and the Tampa Bay series can we start thinking about the division again, at least as a spot about as likely to reach as a wild card berth?

I’m still not seeing either but if the wildcard and the division are only like a game apart shoot for the stars, man.

13. forensic says:

By the way, Mike, you were right with your photo caption from the game thread, A-Rod was in for a fun night. Two hits, a walk, two outs that were both scalded.

I don’t think he even hears the boos on the road anymore, it’s just white noise in the background and it doesn’t do anything to him. It’s probably similar at home, but there has to be a little bit more of an affect given that nobody would enjoy being booed all the time by people who are supposed to root for your team.

• Deathstroke Heathcott says:

He needs to David Stern the boos. Soak it up, play the part of the heel.

• LazzeriScooter says:

Should I assume all players are dirtbags who sully the sport with each action he takes? Most players are not persistent scum that lie to me and ruin the integrity of the sport.

Truly, I hope the jeers affect him because so many people, included myself, believed and supported thru most of his trials. But like many a battered victim, I have seen the Light and the Truth. Alex Rodriguez is an irredeemable coward. And I will boo him until the glorious day he leaves the Show and I will have an everlasting smile on my face on that day!

So, no he deserves only to hear jeers the rest of his miserable career which hopefully only has less than 2 months left in it.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I want the Yankees to win.

• Pat D says:

I hate to tell you this, but there is no integrity in sports. You don’t want to root for him, fine. But get over yourself and stop pretending that you’ve been personally harmed by the actions of a baseball player.

• Nuke Guy (Knoxvillain) says:

“why should i root for a lying cheat who shows no remorse or shame about his indiscretions and sins?”

Because you would do the same thing for the money he’s made. It’s hard to blame a guy when you’d do the same thing he did.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Whoa, I generally agree with you guys, but since when would any of us necessarily have done what he did? That’s an awfully massive, unprovable assumption to make.

• Dalek Jeter says:

It’s a hard call to make, because it’s literally impossible for me to fathom the amount of money A-Rod has made. Also, when he started cheating, ect, ect…I will say though, that if I was talented enough to play in the big leagues, I would probably have at least tried PEDs. I mean, there was so much to gain against so, so little to lose. I mean, before the biogenesis thing even A-Rod was going the way of Andy and Papi.

• Nuke Guy (Knoxvillain) says:

I would make the assumption that everyone here would do the same thing he did. Look at the money he’s made. He’s going to finish with close to or maybe more than 700 home runs. He has a World Series ring and 3 MVP awards.

I’d be the first person to shoot up if someone told me I could have a life like that, and I wouldn’t be ashamed of it.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Hell of an assumption. See Dalek above. A-Rod did a lot more than just juice.

• Nuke Guy (Knoxvillain) says:

It might be, but I don’t think anyone can say that they wouldn’t juice. He’s an asshole, but I was just talking about him juicing. I wouldn’t have his attitude and I wouldn’t rat out other players (assuming it’s true) like he did.

• jim p says:

Without juicing he would have been a hundred-plus millionaire. Anyone with talent and skill would be.

And most of the players don’t juice. Just the people who’ve internalized the “greed is good” message we’ve been getting for forty years.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

MAYBE I would have juiced. I don’t know. I wasn’t in that situation. But we weren’t ONLY talking about juicing, we were talking about all of the shit A-Rod has done here.

• Dalek Jeter says:

1. There is no integrity in sports. It’s a bunch of pampered prima donnas who get paid way too much for playing a childs game.

2. You are not a battered victim. Shut your face hole. I’m not going to get into a huge diatribe about this, but you should feel shame for comparing yourself to actual battered victims.

3. Get the hell off of your high horse and climb down off of your soap box. You have no idea what you would do for 380,000 dollars let alone 380 million until you have it put in front of you.

• BFDeal says:

Twelve year old spoiled brat mentality. Grow up and stop being a drama queen.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Well for one, it hasn’t actually been proven that he lied or cheated about this Biogenesis stuff…

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Thank you, Reverend. Where’s the collection cup?

14. panos says:

name calling. what a rude child u are. you trash nunie. i think he is a offensive talent. he needs reps and he will improve. look at nova dude. he has bee
    n one of leagues best pitchers for 2 months.

• Nuke Guy (Knoxvillain) says:

wat

Nunez will get a little bit better but he is still Jayson Nix with more speed and a worse glove.

15. Gonzo says:

Yeehaaaaaw!!!!

16. Dalek Jeter says:

Alfonso Soriano: “Guys, climb the fuck on my back. Lets get this shit done.”

17. stuart a says:

relax on winning the division.

they win about 13 out of 16 then they have a outside chance at best.

at least they can score now… love to see wells out of the lineup…

Reynolds, aroid, Soriano, and grandy. they can all hit homers on occassion, they had no power before..

18. Tom says:

Off topic but Braun is apparently planning on admitting some use of PED’s in 2011 and apologizing to some folks, including the sample collector he threw under the bus.

I’m starting to get an ARod vibe about this and he can forego the reshaping of the public image if any of this is true:

A long time friend of his is suing him – could be a cash grab, but some of what is in the suit seems too wacky to just make up. It includes:
    - Braun doping throughout his UM days (my completely unsubstantiated opinion is that he has been juicing from day one)
    - Academic fraud
    - Taking money while he was a student
    - Hiring his friend (that is filing the suit) and telling him he would only be paid if he threatened a lawsuit on the sample collecter that Braun was smearing
    - Requesting that he prank call OTL and tell them that the failed test was part of some big conspiracy by baseball to smear several players (this just seems too dumb to be made up)

I’m sure ESPN will be investigating this with the same zeal as they did with ARod.

19. Get Phelps Up says:

Man, I hope ARod pimps the hell out of the 2 homers he’s gonna hit against Lackey tomorrow.

Also, rewatching the bottom of the 4th inning, Michael and Kenny really did nail it. Like REALLY nailed it. We give Kay flack for saying dumb things all the time but he was right on here. Everyone who can should really take 10 minutes and listen to that.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Yeah, I just watched it (I was only gonna watch the first few innings) and they made some excellent points. I said a couple weeks ago, at this point every team, manager, owner, player has played for/with or employed a player who has used PEDs that has helped them win. It’s time for baseball to get off it’s high fucking horse and use the collectively bargained means to catch guys.

• Pat D says:

Yea, it was frankly about time someone else brought up Ortiz’s bullshit from when his name was leaked.

I mean, it sucked that Ortiz’s name was leaked when it shouldn’t have been, but rather than fessing up like ARod did, he gives that insane press conference where he promises to find the real killers…uh, I mean, find out what he tested positive for and be totally forthcoming with the public.

Yea, when did any of that happen?

• Tom says:

It was great how the Boston media stayed on the story and kept following up on how the “investigation” was going.

Oh wait, they just swept it under the rug and settled for the “No hablo ingles” “I’m not talking about that anymore” tagline.

• Selig is an opportunistic hypocrite (formerly not the droids you're looking for...) says:

I was so psyched that Kay actually read the full/pertinent quote from Ortiz. Hearing it verbatim like that really made it stand out. Not quite as sanctimonious as Braun’s denials, but still pretty bad.

• Mr. Roth says:

Lackey will probably throw at him…

20. Kosmo says:

63-58 with 41 to go. 27-14 will get them to 90 wins. NY is only 7.5 games back of the Sawx. Could get interesting.
    If anyone hasn´t noticed Soriano´s perfomance in these last few games is off the charts brilliant. Very rare indeed. SPing is better in the last week.

21. ialien says:

ah baseball. it’s so hard to predict. doubront owns yanks but gets bombed. soriano bats .192 for the yanks & then ties with dimaggio, gehrig & lazerri with 18 RBI’s in 4 games for the MLB record. & suddenly the yankee lineup that was competing with the astros for the worst in the AL looks better then the red sox.

i would caution those who are getting excited about this offense that their performance may still be a mirage. Most of these runs are coming off terrible pitching. the astros just blasted the angels 8-2. plus, doubront was off from the very first pitch; he was not himself as he confirmed in the post game.

I can’t argue with having hope but until they make this run go through the jays & the rays this month, its too early to start talking playoffs.

22. Robinson Tilapia says:

So, dkidd, I think you got pretty close to the damn fine Andy Pettitte start you were looking for, don’t you?

Take it to them again today. Nothing to lose. #28 to win.

23. OldYanksFan says:

From Lohud:

Final word goes to Reynolds: “We battled these guys with the Orioles last year, but this is different. When you’re on deck, I mean, you can’t repeat what the fans say to you, but it’s just a different vibe, a different atmosphere for sure. But all that stuff does is motivate us as players to go out there and perform better. It’s all in good fun, and it’s a great spot to be in, in this rivalry.”

24. mt says:

This is so interesting – tension between Joba causing Yanks to actually lose any games over the next 15 days versus Yankee reluctance to admit “failure” and actually cut him? So far we have survived one (shaky) game – 14 or 15 games to go before September 1 roster expansion.

The next sketchy moment will come when Jeter comes back – Nunez or Nix will have to go unless they cut Joba. It is unlikely but I can even see them cutting even Wells before letting Joba go.

Braun admission that is coming “soon” will be fascinating when and if it comes – supposedly will only admit to 2011 while his friend from college is saying that he juiced form college days – should be interesting how much he really says – I also suspect he will say nothing that leads to any conclusion on veracity of Tony Bosch – he will try to stay out of that.

I have not seen the Kay discussion but it is hypocritical how Boston media and fans doesn’t obsess and dwell on Ortiz test or Ramirez’s shenanigans for that matter like they do about so many other things.

I still laugh though when Arod says he will eventually tell his story. Given that he has a good legalistic case for reducing his suspension (is an arbitrator really going to penalize him for releasing names of other suspects, even if he did do it, when it seems MLB has been leaking like crazy?) he will get it reduced to what he can. There is so much of his money on the line. If it gets reduced to something he can live with (80 games or less, I might imagine) he will drop his federal lawsuit threat, give an interview to someone like Oprah and then he say he “made some mistakes”. If suspension is not reduced to his liking, he will soldier on, try to sue MLB in federal court or go after antitrust exemption and I am sure he will still keep his mouth shut due to “pending litigation”.

There are so many distractions in this case but question still comes through – does anyone believe that end result eventually from Arod’s mouth will be that he never used PEDs after 2003? My answer is no.

• ropeadope says:

You believe Jeter will return prior to roster expansion?

25. Frank says:

Yanks need to face the fact Nunez isn’t the answer at shortstop.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d say they know that already.

• OldYanksFan says:

I strongly disagree.
      Nunez reminds me of Melky Cabrera. Plenty of talent below the neck, something loose above. Most of Nunez’s errors are lack of focus, rather than lack of talent.

We have seen Nuney hit the ball REALLY hard. He literally stings the ball. He can really run, he has decent range and a strong arm. He is just NOT putting it all together yet.

The SS position is very weak throughout MLB.
      Of 39 SS’s in MLB with 175 AB, only 14 have an OPS of .700 or above.

Look at how many SSs the Sox have gone through since Nomar left. I don’t think the Yanks want to repeat that. They have enough holes to fill without needing to find a SS. Nuney is cost controlled for a while. If he can at least be league average, it’s a big advantage to the Yankees.

All he needs then is some good PEDs :)

• Frank Costanza says:

I strongly disagree with you.

I understand your argument that SS is a weak position in baseball right now. But out of 46 SS in MLB with at least 150 AB, Eduardo Nunez ranks DEAD LAST in WAR. However, WAR shouldn’t be the be-all, end-all of this argument since he’s missed significant time with injury and hasn’t accrued as many PA’s.

Nunez currently ranks 30th out of 46 SS with a .275 wOBA. This is who he is. Look through his minor league and major league sample. There is no improvement. How many of those 14 SS you looked at with an OPS above .700 are on contenders? I would think probably more than a few.

Weak position or not, Nunez is not and has never been good at baseball.

26. mt says:

As for Mark Reynolds,

I have said this before but his defense at first is actually pretty good (based on his last Baltimore year) – he is very shaky defensively at 3rd.

He is a 3 true outcome player but he also works the count which Yanks had not been doing for three months or so (recall Derek Holland’s 2 hitter at YS3 earlier this year at around 90 pitches) – it was so frustrating for Yanks to often have zero hits first time through order with less than 30 pitches from opposing starter. Granderson, even if he is not hitting for high average, also helps in this regard.

As for AL East division title, I will be surprised if Yanks sweep this series but even if they do, it is a long shot for Yanks to win division (remember Boston needs to stumble badly and if they do, Rays also has to stunble) – I really hope we can at least compete for one of wild cards.

• OldYanksFan says:

Very true… but remember. Most of the remaining games are within the division. If the Yankees continue to Win… SOMEBODY is losing.

The bottom line is we have:
      7 against TB
      6 against O’s.

Obviously, we need to play .750 ball, But if we do, we may sneak in.

• Jim is a (Bored) Peckerhead says:

Let’s just not lose again. 104-58 sound OK to everyone else?

27. Manny's BanWagon says:

I can’t remember seeing a hitter as hot as Soriano’s been the last several games. Thank god Hal and Hank didn’t listen to Cashman

I also wonder if Lackey’s gonna drill Arod. He’s pretty nuts so I’d hardly put it past him but I’m down for a bench clearing brawl.

A few weeks ago, who would have thought this series would have such drama.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Awesome O’Clock will be when Alex goes deep on him. Twice.

Neither of us are his biggest fan right now, MBW, but he’s our disgraced superstar and I’ll take him over Lackey in this any day.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Yep. I’ve hated Lackey since he was an Angel.

I hope he drills Arod, who then charges the mound and knocks his front teeth out.

• rich says:

I rather have A-Rod, at least he tries to help his team win when he is actually playing, unlike that fat slob Lackey who was busy eating a two piece meal from KFC and drinking beer in September while his team is choking it up. Lackey should shut the fuck up, Jonny Gomes (who prolly played with numerous PED dudes in the 10 teams he has played) should shut the fuck up and every Red Sox fan should remember that MANNY FUCKING RAMIREZ was on your team and he failed a drug test twice. Also, last time I checked David Ortiz failed a test. So Pedroia, look at your clubhouse before talking shit about anyone else.

• ClusterDuck says:

I disagree. I’m glad players are criticizing A-Rod.

That said, I agree it’s hypocritical for the Sox to criticize A-Rod and not criticize Ortiz who failed a test.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Yep. Agree with this.

If Lackey or any other player truly never used PEDs, of course they should be pissed and be highly critical of those who have used. That said, they should first be worried about cleaning up their own houses before criticizing someone else’s.

Own houses indeed. As someone wisely posted above there is not a single active or recently retired player, manager or owner (or commissioner…) who has not benefitted from playing with, managing, or signing a PED user. They should all STFU. The sanctimony and hypocrisy is breathtaking.

• Mr. Roth says:

I definitely think Alex is going to either get drilled or get brushed back by one high and tight.

28. Selig is an opportunistic hypocrite (formerly not the droids you're looking for...) says:

It thrills me to comb through this thread and find that most of my brethren here avoid the overly simplistic, reductivist, moralistic high horsing nonsense that spews forth from the children at lohud and the massholes at espn.

Refreshing

Onward! Das eet.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

When it comes to Arod, my position is pretty polar opposite yours but I agree the comments on ESPN are truly frightening.

between the rapid fire responses that could cause seizures, the moderators having to remove every 3rd comment and the vitriol of the commenters, I’m surprised ESPN doesn’t shut the whole commenting section down.

29. ClusterDuck says:

“It took all of six hours for the dumb decision to demote Preston Claiborne in favor of Joba to have an on-field impact. David Huff had to clean up the bases loaded mess and end the game.”

Why is Huff up instead of Claiborne.?