Aug

Soriano carries Yanks to second straight blowout win over Angels

Remember when games against the Angels used to suck? Yeah, me neither. Four games with the disappointing Halos is just what the doctored ordered for the Yankees, who have won the first three games of the series. Wednesday’s final was 11-3.

(Rich Schultz/Getty)

(Rich Schultz/Getty)

Get On His Back, He’ll Carry You
One day after setting a career-high by driving in six runs, Alfonso Soriano set a new career-high with seven runs driven in on Wednesday night. He hit two more homers, including a first inning grand slam that put the game to bed almost as soon as it started. Soriano followed with a two-run single in the second and a solo homer in the fifth. That fifth inning dinger was crushed; it had that good sound and you knew it was gone off the bat. His two-day total is sitting at four homers and 13 RBI, giving me a good opportunity to gloat about this:

Note the timestamp — I said that the day of the trade. Pretty omniscient, or something, if I do say so myself.

Soriano was not the team’s only offense, however. They were all over Jered Weaver, who allowed nine runs in five innings after allowing ten runs in his previous seven starts combined. Robinson Cano and Curtis Granderson both had one-run-scoring singles in the second while Chris Stewart plated two with his seventh inning single. Stewart must have seen my post from the other day, because he hit four fly balls that would have qualified as celebrity softball homers on Wednesday. Two even fell in for hits.

Amazing, the Yankees scored those eleven runs even though Brett Gardner and Ichiro Suzuki went a combined 0-for-9 with a walk. Usually tough to score when the one-two hitters do that. Cano went 4-for-4 (all singles), Granderson went 2-for-3 with a walk, and Soriano went 3-for-3 with a walk. The 25 total runs ties the Yankees’ two-day season-high this year, which they originally set against the Indians in Cleveland back in April. Pretty amazing what adding some legitimate Major League caliber hitters can do, isn’t it?

(Rich Schultz/Getty)

(Rich Schultz/Getty)

A Good Night To Be Off
This is the kind of game the old Ivan Nova didn’t have a prayer of getting through. He was very clearly off all night, particularly with his fastball location, yet he still managed to hold the Angels to three runs on ten hits and a hit batsman in 7.1 innings. That makes him the first non-CC Sabathia pitcher to throw at least seven innings in seven straight starts for the Yankees since David Cone back in 1998. That’s pretty great.

To be fair, the infield defense didn’t exactly help Nova out. A number of ground balls snuck through the left side for singles, which prolonged innings and in some cases, led directly to runs. That’s the Catch-22 for the pitching staff — ground balls are good because Yankee Stadium is tiny, but ground balls are also bad because the defense on the left side of the infield is questionable at best. Singles are preferable to homers, however. Props to Nova for grinding through 7+ innings when he clearly didn’t have his best stuff or best command. These are the types of games that separate the goods from the greats.

(Rich Schultz/Getty)

(Rich Schultz/Getty)

Leftovers
Preston Claiborne recorded the final five outs in relief of Nova without much trouble, giving the key late-inning guys another day of rest. That’s pretty big this time of year. Some of those guys have been worked pretty hard of late and every little breather helps. Big ups to Claiborne for making it not interesting.

Alex Rodriguez had another boo me/cheer me kinda night, going 1-for-4 with a walk and a strikeout. It’s amazing how the crowd reaction changes from at-bat to at-bat, isn’t it? Nothing says spoiled more than that. Anyway, the Yankees scored ten of their eleven runs with two outs, with the lone exception being Soriano’s solo homer. That’s pretty cool. Two-out runs are always demoralizing.

Not a whole lot to add, but yeah, just an all-around great win. It’s been a long time since the Yankees had a completely stress-free win like this. I’ve missed the feeling.

Box Score, WPA Graph & Standings
MLB.com has the box score and video highlights, FanGraphs some other stats, and ESPN the updated standings. Depending on the outcome of the late game, the Yankees will be either six games (Athletics win) or five games (Athletics lose) back of the second wildcard spot in the loss column. Cool Standings says their postseason odds are 9.2% at the moment. Chip, chip away.

Source: FanGraphs

Up Next
The Yankees will go for the rare four-game sweep on Thursday afternoon, when Phil Hughes gets the ball against left-hander C.J. Wilson in the series finale. The Bombers actually swept a four-game series about a month ago if you remember, against the Twins in Minnesota. Check out RAB Tickets if you want catch the matinee live. The weather’s supposed to be great.

Categories : Game Stories

1. Robinson Tilapia says:

Think Soriano likes being back in pinstripes? What a great couple of nights for him. He’s definitely still got it.

My god, this finally feels like actual Yankee baseball again. I wish there was more season to play. Nice job by Nova, bending but not breaking. The run support did make that feel a bit easier.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeep tomorrow.

2. KenC says:

Just got back home from the game. After that first inning grand slam, the bleachers were livid. Funny part of the night was whenever Trout would look into the stands, people would mimic having a rod in their hand and reeling in a fish

3. trr says:

Yeah, this is a LOT more fun!

4. NYPLATOONS says:

That’s a corner outfielder! I know this isn’t going to last but that’s a corner outfielder. I can’t stand watching Gardner as if the Yankees think he’s Don Mattingly. I can’t wait till the Yankees move past this guy I can’t wait! He is not a lead off hitter I could care less about his D the guy to ME just doesn’t cut it. Yankees can find another LF. With Ichrio and Gardner in the outfield the kinda season you see the Yankees are having is an example!

Hopefully this team makes a few changes in tthe off season to actually get better and no slap on some quick fixes!

• Get Phelps Up says:

Don Mattingly didn’t hit leadoff.

• Mikhel says:

So you’d rather have a 0.240-0.250 AVG hitter with weak defense as your outfielders? ’cause that’s what happened with Wells. At least Ichiro can defend… a lot, and prevent runs with his throws.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Soriano is not Vernon Wells. He’s Lyle Overbay in the outfield with 30+ HR power, and he’s the second best qualified hitter on the Yankees.

Ichiro, on the other hand, is the worst RF in baseball offensively both this year and since 2011.

5. BFDeal says:

Who thinks Gardner is Don Mattingly? You are the only person I’ve ever heard try to insinuate that comparison.

6. David N says:

I love that WPA graph.

7. nycsportzfan says:

I don’t think anyones spoiled that boo’s and cheers arod. He cheated baseball and is forever gonna be at the top of the HR records and he cheated his way into a franchise life support contract that makes life for buiding so much harder…etc But, hes still playing for the yanks and taking one of those 9spots, and were in a playoff race. So, unfortunetly hes playing with us for now, and you gotta cheer hits and runs for the yanks. You just got to.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Just make the bad typing thing stop.

• nycsportzfan says:

Shut up you whiney bitch. Seriously, go reply to all the other errors around here and leave me be if you don’t want to talk baseball. I’m not going anywhere douchebag.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s spelled “whiny,” you dipshit with a third-grade education.

• nycsportzfan says:

Get the fuck outta the house dude. Seriously, your on here way to much. For the last time, im here to talk baseball. If you don’t want to talk baseball, then simply don’t reply to my posts. I’m not getting anywhere and i don’t give a shit i have some spelling errors in my posts. I’ll leave best grammer on a yankee messege board award to you. Happy now?

• Pat D says:

Dude, you’re too sensitive. RT would love to talk baseball with you, but the way you post makes everything you say difficult to read. I’m not trying to pile on here, but I do find it difficult to read a lot of what you post. Is it that hard to spell correctly, seriously? If this bothers you so much, let me know and I’ll stop replying to you, as per your wishes.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It was a pretty dick move to post links to adult literacy centers in his area, though. :)

• Steve says:

Yeah, as long as you don’t say anything bad about the Yankees, RT would love to talk baseball with you! Otherwise, he’ll call you entitled (while at the same time complaining when other people tell him how to be a fan) and make the funniest spelling jokes you’ve ever seen!

• Pat D says:

I’m sorry, who are you?

• jjyank says:

We left donuts on the floor, Pat. Now we have ants.

• Pat D says:

Is that how we get ants, other Pat?

That’s how we get ants, other Pat.

• PED's says:

Oh look the three stooges teaming up again to make themselves look so cool. You guys are a bunch of shit heads.

RT doesn’t even watch the damn Yankee games and he has all you dumb asses fooled that he is some super fan.

JJYank is just a self-serving look at me look at me I’m going to be rich and famous whore.

Pat D still lives in his Mom’s basement and just watches video of Royal Rumbles and SummerSlams all day long.

How these three don’t get their asses handed to them on most of the shit they post here is beyond me. Now read all their lame passive/aggressive attacks towards me as their shitty rebuttals. Mo, Larry, Curly have taken over RAB. It’s a damn shame.

• jjyank says:

Always good for a nice laugh, Troll. Thanks for playing.

• Pat D says:

Wah wah. You honestly think we give a shit about your opinion of us, Troll? How many times are you going to get banned before you get the hint?

I mean, do you honestly try anymore? Nope, you just love to attack the three of us and Dalek Jeter for anything. We mention one or two things about ourselves and you run with it like they insult us.

It’s OK, because I know that sooner or later you’ll fuck up again and get yourself banned. I mean, that’s why you’re so butthurt towards us anyway, right? Because your attacks on us have always been what gets you banned? Too bad they’re never permanent.

Well, until the next one happens, let me borrow a phrase from nycsportz: Get the fuck outta the house, dude.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

“Mo, Larry, Curly”

Sal, lanny and bo would be saddened by the current state of our trolls.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

The overnight went about as I expected. Thank you, as always, Larry and Curly.

• MannyGeee says:

Wow… this shit was epic. Does this make Jim ‘Shemp’?

• Steve says:

Also, since it’s cool to point out mistakes

• Pat D says:

And where did I correct his grammar? I said that a lot of his posts are borderline unreadable due to spelling errors and lack of punctuation. It was a generalization.

Do me a favor, don’t interject yourself into a conversation I attempted to have with him.

too
              I’m
              GOING anywhere
              grammar
              message

You embarrass me as an American.

• forensic says:

I don’t want to get into this too, but it’s kind of sad that that’s only about half of the issues you could’ve mentioned.

• Lukaszek says:

RT honestly makes some of the best posts on here man. Listen nycsportzfan, I get it if you dont like to spell everything correctly (sometimes I dont either), but calling someone a “whiney bitch” in response to a minor criticism is not a good way to earn legitimacy in the eyes of others

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Thanks for the compliment. Really appreciate it.

• nycsportzfan says:

A minor criticism??lol This assholes been all over me for the past 2months and i’ve asked him to stop and leave me alone many times. HOnestly, how do you chime in on something you nothing about? And Tilapia is a moron, his posts are rarley even about baseball. He downs people like he has some entitlement on here. I watch spelling errors on every other post on here, and yet he downs mine. I’m way past being nice about it now. I tried asking these assholes to leave me alone nicely.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Funny how the guy who screams out “you take my incoherent posts and like them the way they are” is accusing other of being entitled.

You not seeing the connection between not being taken seriously on here and us barely being able to understand what you’re writing is incredibly sad. An intelligent person can see the difference between a couple of spelling errors and someone who can’t write. This isn’t “whoops….my damn autocorrect screwed up” level stuff.

You want to do things better? Then come on here and say, “hey guys, I struggle because it’s not my first language, but am trying my best” and see how the response you get on here is completely different. You trying to shove your ignorance down our throats, though? Nope, not buying it, and not backing off.

I replied nicely to your Preston Claiborne comment below last night. Let’s see if you can play ball when we ignore the fact that you can’t write like a grown adult and engage you as a fan, which there’s no doubt in my mind you’re an actual Yankee fan. This is the saddest part of this all.

• Pat D says:

I replied to your Claiborne post with my thoughts, and I happened to disagree with you. You never replied to me, for whatever reason. You really can’t say it was because you don’t have time, because you made other replies after I posted my thoughts. So that kind of tells me that you didn’t want to engage me because I disagreed with you. I don’t know what to say. So fear not, I’ll just leave you alone.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Apparently, you can spell “whiny” both ways. Oh no, nycsportzfan got one riiiiiiight…..

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

I can imagine this was not the easiest post for you…

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Better to be pre-emptive than wake up the next morning to OMGZ R-TILS IS ALWAYS WRONG.

“Whiney” just looks wrong and, yes, I am complete arbiter of what “looks” right and wrong. Try and knock me off my perch, bitches.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I take no sides, but…

• nycsportzfan says:

Its how i type, deal with it. Stop being such a whiney little bitch.

8. Nuke Guy (Knoxvillain) says:

Maybe A-Rod still has a big effect on the lineup even though he isn’t the 2007 A-Rod anymore.

9. nycsportzfan says:

Anyone think the yanks sell high on Claiborne this offseason to try and upgarde the rotation or offense? I was thinking as a secondary piece to go with someone else for maybe a CJ Wilson or Jered Weaver. Somone who the Angels will possibly move because how much they suck with that payroll. THey got to get rid of some of that payroll. With Arod being suspended for next yr, we get kinda a freebe yr for free of whoever we trade for, which is cool. CJ Wilson would all ready be going into yr 3 of a 5yr dea, i believe? So what we save on Arods salary will pay a good chunk of that, and hes left handed, which we have probably only CC as of next yr. Just a thought.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

What would selling high on Preston Claiborne even look like?

It’s much more likely that the Yanks try to put him in a higher-leverage spot next season.

My friggin eyes.

• I'm One says:

It’s friggin’.

Get it right, fish fingers! :-)

• nycsportzfan says:

Selling high on claiborne is trading him this offseason. Hes a guy who really wasen’t on many radars, and not to high or even on most yankee prospects lists before the season. Now hes got a sub 3era in a decent amount of relief innings in the majors. Another words, his trade value could possibly not be any higher then it’ll be this offseason. Of course its a bit of a risk, because he could actually be what his numbers this yr say he is. But thats why i asked. I mentioned it to Mike about a month ago, and he thought selling high on em was the way to go. So i was curious to see what some thought about it now. Is that all right?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

We’re talking 39 major league innings in which he’s showed promise, but nothing that would make him stand out to another team as a major piece in any sort of deal. Like Pat said, he’s a third piece in a deal.

With Mo and Joba not returning, there are going to be openings next season and, provided he shows he can handle the high-leverage innings, he’s got as good a shot at any of being a 7th inning type guy. That’s where his biggest value lies.

I’m not insulting you here in the least. You want people to overlook how you type and focus on your content? Here you go. Have a good night.

Crickets, of course.

BUT IWANT 2 TLK ABOOT? BASE11BALL….

• nycsportzfan says:

Crickets??lol Sorry dude, some of us can’t spend every second on a yankees messege board. Some of us actually have jobs.

As for Claiborne, of course teams could see him more as a middle reliever, which would enhance his value. If a team likes what they’ve seen, they could want him to close for them or be a 8th inning man. The important part is that he did so well while in the games this yr, that other teams could want to give him a more important role. How is that so hard to undertand? No ones saying the guys gonna be traded one for one for Mike Trout. Claibornes trade value will probably never be higher.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

39 MLB innings. A definite regression during the latter half of those innings, although there’s been signs of life lately and it is his first season.

Most teams in baseball have guys that profile like Preston Claiborne in their MiLB system. He’s been successful, and he can certainly grow into a bigger role, but he’s not so special that I think someone would give the Yankees a piece that will be more useful to the team in 2014 than Preston Claiborne himself could be.

I wouldn’t turn down fleecing another team if the opportunity arose, though. I just don’t think the opportunity is coming.

Let’s not compare jobs. You have no clue. Trust me. We’re doing good on baseball here. Let’s stick to it.

• Pat D says:

Wilson might not be such a bad idea. I’m not sure the Angels are going to just start selling, though.

Weaver would be a terrible idea. He gave you a slight indication as to why with his start tonight. Not including tonight, in six career starts in both Yankee Stadiums, he’s given up 24 runs and 11 home runs in 36.1 innings. That’s basically Phil Hughes all over again. Considering how Hughes has broken my heart, I won’t be able to take that again.

But, yea, there’s really no way someone like Claiborne is gonna help land either of these guys. I mean, middle relievers are so fungible that, even with the shit Angels bullpen this year, he’s not going to be anything more than a 3rd or 4th piece at best in any trade.

10. Get Phelps Up says:

The Angels…another example of how championships aren’t won in the offseason.

11. RetroRob says:

The crowd reaction really doesn’t change with A-Rod from AB to AB. When he gets a hit, the fans cheer. If he makes an out, most of the fans sit quietly, but it’s a few thousand fans that boo. Most of the fans are accept A-Rod for what he is, warts and all.

12. forensic says:

Apparently Nova talked about how he’s scraped his slider and added a sinker, then used that heavily with the lead and the curve not working, hence all the groundballs.

I haven’t watched the game yet, but that’s pretty interesting. I’d like him to have another pitch with more movement, but if it turns into a nice pitch for him it’d be a good option at least, especially on nights like this, if he never gets a changeup going.

• Pat D says:

A lot of the hits he gave up were ground balls that found holes, nothing hit all that hard. It’s possible.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

They talked about it on the telecast. Seems like a lot of the XBH he was giving up at the start of the season were hit off the slider. Whatever works and, clearly, something is working.

13. Shittyshittybangbang says:

Nova “off-night”, and Sabathia also off ?! A bit harsh Mike, no ? I don’t do or interpret sabr metrics, or whatever it’s called, but what are the parameters that define a quality start ?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

He was fine, but certainly not as sharp this time out. Then again, hard to keep the pace he was on going. I’ll take this off night.

• Pat D says:

Indeed, 7.1 innings and 3 runs is a pretty solid off night.

• Kiko Jones says:

Especially with 6 Ks and no BBs.

• Lukaszek says:

I think that during half of our season, our minds were programmed that “7.1 IP 3ER” = Automatic Loss. Now that we have some reinforcements who can actually hit for power, such an outing isn’t bad at all. It’s not great, but it’s not bad by any means.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

It means that Nova’s stuff was a bit off and he didn’t have perfect command of his pitches. Getting results like this on an “off”-night is even more impressive than if they do it when everything’s working.

14. Steiinbrenner's Ghost says:

Cashman Failed.

he was against the Soriano trade and disowned in the media.

• Evan3457 says:

Let’s try to remember that before these last two great games, Soriano was 5-36 with 15 K and 2 BB as a Yankee. I hope he keeps this up, but let’s wait an see how he does against better pitching.

I know Weaver is an excellent pitcher, but tonight he had nothing, and both HRs tonight were on 88 mph FB more or less down the middle.

15. dkidd says:

great win. i was impressed by nova tonight; he’s learning how to win without his best stuff

is it asking too much of phil hughes to not completely shit the bed tomorrow?

16. Kramerica Industries says:

Astros finally helping the Yankees out.

5.5 back of TB, 5 back of Oakland. The Rays number, regardless of what it is, will still always be the more important one.

• Pat D says:

I’d prefer Oakland to pass Texas and then Texas fall apart, but that’s asking for too much at this point.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Pretty much. Texas is on a really good form of late, while Oakland really isn’t. They just saw their six game lead from about 2.5-3 weeks ago go up in smoke.

Again, the numbers in the division are more important since head-to-heads remain there, but it’s still a good thing whenever Oakland or Texas loses, just because.

That said, no one should expect Houston to win tomorrow. Yankees need to win to keep pace.

17. dkidd says:

yasiel puig is so much fun to watch

dodgers now 40-8 since the low point. insane

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

The Hell? That’s batshit stuff, man. Like…I can’t even comprehend it.

• vicki says:

he is. and if he keeps up this pace he actually has a shot at the batting title, even factoring in some 40-odd 0-fers to get the requisite plate appearances.

18. mt says:

Aren’t those odds of making playoffs built on projecting prior season run differential for rest of year? I can’t think of a team (maybe top ten in history) whose prior run differential may not be predictive of run differential in the next 44 or so games – before the last week the right handed batters were performing at some of the worst levels that have been seen in MLB recently and now Alex and Soriano are here (hopefully Jeter too) – also one normally does not add the home run leader of the prior two years (Grandy) to one’s line-up at the end of a season.

Yanks still a long-shot but would love to see something that actually plays out rest of season with better run projected run differential umbers and see where we should land. Probably still don’t make it but should look somewhat better.

• Kramerica Industries says:

They play a part in it, I’m sure, but I’m also sure the margin back of a playoff spot as well as the number teams to jump over also plays a part.

If it were 5.5 back of the Rays and the Indians, Royals, and Orioles weren’t in the way, the odds would likely be higher than 9.2%. Then again, if the Yankees just keep winning games, they’ll soon pass the Indians and Royals, and if they do that, then it’s just a matter of taking advantage of those numerous divisional games with the Rays and Orioles.

19. JLC 776 says:

Earned my Internet cookie!

I need to make a few more baseless predictions now.

20. TCMiller30 says:

Soriano in the past two games, has 1 more HR and only 5 fewer RBIs than Chris Stewart does this entire season (256 PAs)

21. OldYanksFan says:

It’s funny…. 3 games ago, I was looking at Soriano’s stats. His BA was .193, and his OPS was below .700.

I was thinking typical, free swinging, true outcome player. And getting old too. He has swung at balls way outside, and missed them by over a foot.

Hamilton may be the biggest waste of talent in MLB history, by insisting on swinging at bad pitches, and never working the count. And Soriano is certainly near the top of that list too.

I would like to think Sori may be a stud going down the stretch, but I know it won’t be. In the last 2 days, the pitchers were simply stupid enough to challenge Sori with FBs over the plate. Like Hamilton, you NEVER need to throw the guy a strike.

The inability to recognize outside CBs and low Sliders, along with the refusal to Walk, has rendered a guy who could literally be one of the greatest hitters in MLB History (Hamilton) into a ya-never-know-what-the-fuck-he-will-do, above average hitter.

And Sori is a lesser case. What might he have accomplished if he simply took Ted’s advice and waited for a good pitch to hit?

22. NYPLATOONS says:

There is no doubt that the Yankees need to upgrade I think most would agree. As for what position we might be different but.

Gardner is no lead off hitter as much as some like him I don’t I would like to see the Yankees different in the OF in 2014 so here goes.

Jeter SS – If healthy

Soriano – LF / DH

Cano 2b – If they sign him

Tex – 1B we all know he’s going no place. But I stop batting him on the top of the lineup and look to bring in some better hitters and move Mark down.

Grandersom – Do the Yankees make him an offer and just like Tex I look to bat him lower and bring in some better hitters.

McCann C maybe make him a two year offer and see if he bites. It seems that Sanchez is two year away.

Arod – With his status up in the air we don’t know what’s going to happen just yet at 3b but the Yankees will have a better idea come last Dec / Jan.

Guys that that should make offers to but we know will not get all of them are.

Shin-Soo-Choo
    Brian McCann
    Carlos Beltran
    Hunter Pence
    Jacoby Ellbury

I look to move both Gardner & Ichrio

Couple of good free agents out there at the end of the season I would say improvements of what they have been running out there. I wouldn’t mind like I said a few of these guys and move Tex and Granderson down a bit in the lineup.

As for the pitching yes even more holes opened up. Make Kud a 1 year offer, Where will Pin be will he be ready? Garza? Not to mention the trades we don’t see behind the scense with the lineup and pitching staff.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I don’t follow you on the Gardner stuff, and think Choo’s splits makes him a bit less desirable, but I can agree with most of what you’re saying here. Garza as an Andy replacement, if the money is right, would be a worthy use of the Alex money.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Yeah, Gardy and Ellsbury are the only two viable CFs he listed, and I’d rather have Gardner than Ellsbury in an even year.