Aug

SPECULATION!: Metallica may play at Mariano Rivera tribute night

The Yankees are going to have what figures to be a massive pre-game tribute to Mariano Rivera on September 22nd, celebrating his Hall of Fame career on the final Sunday home game of the season. As it turns out, Metallica will be in New York to play at The Apollo (!?) on September 21st with no scheduled appearances in the following days. A live performance of Enter Sandman sure sounds like something that could happen on Rivera’s tribute night day, but obviously nothing is confirmed. This is probably something the Yankees want to keep under wraps. Anyway, that’s out there now. (h/t NYDN)

38 Comments

1. PinstripesNY says:

It would help explain why they are doing it on Sunday and not on Mo Bobblehead night. Either way, I’ll be there.

2. JLC 776 says:

I’d love for them to find a way to play live as Mo is coming out of the bullpen in the 9th. Not sure how that would happen…

Here’s a question. What if we have a scenario like we did in the last couple of days where we’re in a race and Mo is needed several games in a row and isn’t available on the 22nd? Obviously, I guess, he doesn’t pitch that night…

• MB923 says:

Joe wouldn’t risk it. If he’s not available on the 22nd due to a workload in previous games, then he won’t use him. The whole pre-game is about him and I”m sure the fans would understand why he would not be used should that situation occur.

He will prob use Mo at the very last game at Yankee Stadium in the regular season (just in case they aren’t in the playoff hunt or if God forbid they somehow lose in Houston!!!)

• trr says:

They would never put Mo at risk, especially (as we hope) if we’re in the thick of the pennant chase then. But if there’s any realistic way, yeah, he’s pitching, he’s SAVING, that goddam game!

• MB923 says:

Let’s just hope then September 21st isn’t a save situation then lol. Yankees are off the 23rd (my bday)

• RetroRob says:

Mo Appreciation Day does not mean that Mo is pitching on Mo Appreciation Day. I doubt that’s even under consideration (meaning making it happen) unless the circumstances bring them together.

3. Day. It’s still scheduled to be a day game. I really hope that doesn’t change.

• Chris Z. says:

You and me both. If ESPN or Fox manage to hijack this game and start it at 8:05 or whatever stupid time they start now then I’ll be pissed. He is OUR guy. Its OUR tribute to him. Cater to OUR fans and start the game at a reasonable time. To be honest, F everyone on the west coast. If they want to see it so bad DVR it.

• vicki says:

i don’t think noon on a sunday is a reasonable time. i have the same objection about old timers’ day. we shouldn’t have to set an alarm to watch baseball.

i guess vampires aren’t their target demographic.

• Dale Mohorcic says:

I’m on the west coast. No reason to F me. I’ll watch it whenever.

• Pat D says:

Would they dare go against Sunday Night Football? I mean, they’re going to go up against the NFL no matter what, but in primetime is usually a bad decision.

4. dkidd says:

ride the lightning, yanks

5. MB923 says:

That would be awesome

6. trr says:

LOL, wow!

Make it so!

7. FWIW Springsteen played at the Apollo (March 2012), so rock acts aren’t all that uncommon.

As for them playing the night they honor Mo…that would be freaking awesome.

8. slowleftarm says:

I have tickets for the last home regular season game since I figured that would be his last ever game, assuming they aren’t in the playoff chase and he doesn’t pitch in Houston. After the current streak, those assumptions aren’t looking as good. Maybe I should buy tickets for the 22nd?

• dkidd says:

downside to mo throwing his final pitch in houston: blasphemous and weird

upside to mo throwing his final pitch in houston: we’re still in the playoff hunt

• jsbrendog says:

i just bought plane tickets and tickets to the last 2 games in houston. problem solved.

• Joe R says:

I bought my last home game tickets before they announced this tribute the series before. So pissed. Especially now that minimum tickets are $70 a piece. At least I can say I saw Mo pitch his last regular season game at YS? (HOPEFULLY)

9. pat says:

I was at the Metallica show a few years ago at the Stadium. They didn’t even acknowledge the connection between Mo and the song. In fact they didn’t even acknowledge the song at all really. They just went into it from the end of another song without introducing it at all. Very bizarre.

• Pat D says:

That’s because Metallica basically sucks. Especially in the last 15 or so years.

• Bo Knows says:

Just because they didn’t then, doesn’t mean they’ve never acknowledged it. In fact during some of their concerts they’ve shown video of Mo pitching on a screen behind them while they played “Enter Sandman”

• yankees2010 says:

I am not sure why you find this bizzarre. They are SF Giants fans. They did not write the song for Rivera, someone in the Yankees scoreboard office deiced to play it midway through Mo’s career and it stuck. Why should they have the need to acknowledge any connection?

10. CountryClub says:

They’re promoting a concert movie that they have opening the next Friday. So there’s a legit reason for them to be doing the concert. I do think that they get incorporated in the tribute somehow. But maybe not necessarily by playing a song.

11. Al says:

The Yankees will also have ECW The Sandman come out from the Bleachers with beer And his Singapore cane

12. b-rar says:

“Metallica will be in New York to play at The Apollo (!?)”

OMG WHITE PEOPLE AT THE APOLLO IS THAT EVEN ALLOWED???!?! – Mike

13. Mike says:

METALLICA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

14. Ryan says:

Ugh. I bought tickets to the last Yankee Stadium game of the year figuring that would be the day he gets honored. Nope, I missed it by a few games.

F me.

15. Robinson Tilapia says:

So awesome. Set them up in Monument Park to play his entrance. Since he’ll strike out the side, no need to worry about their equipment being damaged in the process. :)

16. Sly says:

If the Yankees are out of it on the last game of the season, any chance they let Mo play centerfield like he’s mentioned he’s wanted to do?

17. Bavarian Yankee says: