Aug

Sunday Night Open Thread

Here is your open thread for this lovely evening. Red Sox-Dodgers is the ESPN Sunday Night MLB Game (Peavy vs. Capuano) and Vikings-49ers is the NBC Sunday Night (Preseason) NFL game. Talk about either game or anything else your heart desires right here. Have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Nice and very much needed win.

Who goes to make room for Jeter?
    I’m guessing it’ll be Warren.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

It’s going to be Claiborne.

SMDH

• forensic says:

It’s alright, he’ll just be back on Wednesday or Thursday when Jeter goes back on the DL…

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Nah, they wouldn’t put him back on the DL this close to roster expansion. They’d just play short handed for a week instead. No matter how long he was going to be out.

2. Nick says:

how do people feel about Doctor who?

3. trr says:

How bout that bullpen,.. How bout that 7-8-9 in the lineup?
    Time 4 Romine

4. nsalem says:

Indians play The Braves, Tigers play A’s. Sox play Orioles. Rays have to go to KC for a makeup come home for the Angels and then fly out west for a week to play Oakland and Seattle with no days off. Hopefully we can close some ground this week,

5. Wheels says:

Most of us would have been happy with 2 out of 3 this weekend, so essentially losing one game isn’t a killer.

6. Eddard says:

I thought Ivan Nova pitched like an ace today. That’s what you’re supposed to do, not leave your team with a deficit. He single handidly saved their slim hopes.

7. Mick taylor says:

Shame yanks could not take 2 of3. Oakland plays tigers and if they lose 2 of 3 and yanks sweep jays, yanks are 2 games back.

8. jjyank says:

Not gonna lie, watching clips of the 2009 season/postseason makes me tear up a little bit still. Several factors, I guess. I remember the 1996-2000 runs, but those were also my ages 8-12 years. I remember, but not exactly clearly. But 2009 was when I was 21, so I got to fully embrace and appreciate the championship. Plus, it was the Year Of The Walkoff. The whole season seemed magical. Also loved the new vibe of the clubhouse. CC, AJ, Swisher…things just seemed more fun. And finally, watching it just brings me back to my senior year of college, which brings back all sorts of awesome memories.

I’m sure the Yankees will win more championships in my lifetime, but I feel confident in declaring 2009 as my favorite right here and now.

• the Real Greg says:

I became a full on Yankee fan in 2005. That year will always be dear to me, not only because it was the first championship that I viewed as a fan, it was the sense of fun especially in that second half. All the comebacks and great performances.

• jjyank says:

I’m going to assume that 2005 is supposed to be 2009. Unless Greg is secretly a White Sox fan?

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

That would explain some things…

• forensic says:

I can only imagine what Greg would’ve been like during the 2004 World Series. I bet it would’ve been a case study in Bipolar Disorder.

• the Real Greg says:

I was actually ribbing a friend who was a Yankees fan in my high school when it happened.

But again, I wasn’t into it at that time.

• the Real Greg says:

No I went to a Yankees game against the Orioles early in the 2005 season and I was hooked. I had gone to Yankees games earlier in my life, but I wasn’t into sports then.

I remember guys like Bubba Crosby, Tanyon Sturtze.

Oh I see, I worded my sentence badly there. My bad.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

In a weird way, speaking as a Giants fan, after the 08′ Super Bowl the 09′ championship was awesome but a little underwhelming. We dominated that postseason, and while some of the games were a blast as a whole it was mostly smooth sailing.

With that said, Swishy is one of my all-time favorite players, and the first live game I’ve EVER attended (a lot of factors went into that) was game three of walkoff weekend (Damon’s game-winning HR). And I remember being ridiculously thrilled when they signed Tex (and in 09′ he was as good as advertised).

They were just an awesome team.

• Ethan says:

’09 was my freshman year of college so I’m in a similar situation to you in that the WS brings back memories of that entire year. Absolutely awesome year!

9. Bob Buttons says:

Not that anyone has asked but I need to vent a bit.

So I spent a week on the road, bought tickets for the August 22nd game. Before the game Rivera pitches in three games in two days. So I don’t get to see Mo on the first and last trip I make to NYC during his career. Then on the day it gets rain delayed by more than 3hrs. Of course I had to get back before night that day. Didn’t even see any scoring that day.
    The second day I get to Buffalo. Figures out the ONLY hotel I stayed at that carries YES, Yanks in Tampa and gets owned, so no point watching the YES recording of the game at like 11 pm.

And of course this afternoon my internet was dead for 2hrs or so, the first full day home.

Rough week, mentally.

This week there’s a blood test. Whoopie.

• jjyank says:

Keep calm

And

Smoke weed? Do a few shots? Get laid? I dunno what memes these kids do these days. But feel better :D

• Bob Buttons says:

Thanks.
        Really hate the yearly physicals. Might save my life one day but for now I still dislike the pain, the blood squirting out and basically being at the doctors. Who knows when’s the last time they washed the chairs ={

• Ethan says:

Man, I haven’t been able to watch the Yankees games either but i’ve been spending 80+ hours doing school this past week.

10. Kramerica Industries says:

I really, really hate this Red Sox team.

It’s gonna be unreal if they win 2/3 in LA from the scorching hot Dodgers.

• the Real Greg says:

Well to be fair, they didn’t face either Kershaw or Greinke, whom they would face in a World Series matchup.

And actually the way the Yankees have used the Blue Jays to stay in the race, the Red Sox have used interleague to keep their record up

• Kramerica Industries says:

1-1 vs. LAD
        2-1 vs. SF
        2-0 vs. COL
        2-1 vs. ARI
        3-0 vs. SDP
        2-2 vs. PHI

12-5. To an extent, I guess.

• Bob Buttons says:

By Murphy’s Law, they’ll sweep LAD.

11. Darnell McDonald has re-emerged with the Cubs, talk about forgotten.

12. dkidd says:

if matthew lillard and jeremy renner had a baby, it would look like jake peavy

13. nsalem says:

Pretty funny that Schilling is speculating and worrying about how Puig may handle his money incorrectly.

14. Ethan says:

The 2009 WS will always be very special to me. It was the first one that I remember really well and that I watched all the games to. It was also my first year at university and I remember sitting out in the Lounge by myself watching the games. 1st year of university and ’09 WS will always be intertwined for me. And 1st year of university was an absolute blast!