Aug

Thursday Night Open Thread

I really wish I could remember anything about Mariano Rivera‘s time as a starter. It’s all a blur, washing down the same drain as Sergio Mitre and Sidney Ponson starts. That’s unfair to Mo, really, but he was pretty awful as a starting pitcher. Like 5.94 ERA and 124 OPS+ against awful. That video above is from the best of his ten career starts, this eleven-strikeout, two-hit gem against the White Sox on Independence Day 1995. Good grief was that a long time ago.

Here is your open thread for the night. SNY is broadcasting the Staten Island Yankees-Brooklyn Cyclones game, so you’ve got a chance to see some of the Yankees’ best prospects in the lower levels of the minors. I haven’t seen the lineups, but I assume this year’s first rounder 3B Eric Jagielo is playing. Starter RHP Rookie Davis, SS Abi Avelino, OF Michael O’Neill (Paul’s nephew), 1B Bubba Jones, and OF Brandon Thomas are a few others to keep an eye on. You’ve also got the Braves and Cardinals on MLB Network (Maholm vs. Kelly) and preseason football on ESPN. Talk about whatever you like here, have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. dkidd says:

need alex to get his mojo back for the weekend. how were his at-bats today?

2. nycsportzfan says:

Great win today! Andy is hell bent on getting into the postseason and keeping that non losing record streak together.

3. Chris says:

HA, he didn’t throw a single off-speed pitch.

4. kenthadley says:

•The Rangers and Cubs both far exceeded their international bonus pool limits this summer and will face only limited penalties for it, a move that Baseball America’s Jim Callis suspects could be copied by others. “More teams may try to exploit that loophole until an international draft closes it,” Callis writes.

The fact that the team with the greatest resources didn’t take advantage of this tells you all you need to know about the Hal Wilpon thinking running the Yanks these days.

5. nycsportzfan says:

Claiborne with his 3rd hold and has ERA down to 2.68. This kids gonna have some teams asking about him this offseason in trade talks. Who knows, someone might see him as a future closer?

6. Slu says:

I was at one of the 10 starts: http://www.baseball-almanac.co.....9508101NYA

It was the first game of a traditional double header. Mo was not memorable. What was memorable was Mike Stanley hitting 3 homers in this game. One to each field.

The other interesting thing about that day was that in game 2, Strawberry hit his first homer as a Yankee. That was a fun day in the left field bleachers with my buddies. I was 18.

• nycsportzfan says:

Wow, i remember that day! That was around when the yanks were just turning the corner, and it really put Mike Stanley on a pedestal! I just remember being in awe of Stanley that day as a youngster.

• Slu says:

Yeah – that season was great for me. 1996 would eventually top it, but I was still mad about how 1994 ended and we all knew it was Donnie’s last chance at the playoffs so making the playoffs in 1995 really meant a lot to me. Especially since it was the first time the Yankees made the playoffs that I remember. I was too young in 81.

Another semi-interesting tidbit is that Charles Nagy got hit around pretty hard in this game. But I the first time I saw Charles Nagy pitch he threw a one hitter in Camden Yards in 1992 (first year of the park). The hit? An infield single by Glenn Davis. It was a swinging bunt. And if you remember Davis at all, you know how unlikely him getting an infield hit was. I don’t remember the exact inning of the hit, but it was late enough that we were disappointed by it.

• Slu says:

Also, I know I put links for baseball-almanac.com up for my posts, but this site is really great. If you remember anything about a game that you were at that would be in the box score, you can easily find the game. I didn’t remember if that Nagy one hitter was in 1991 or 1992 as I went a game in Baltimore each year, but I was able to find the game by quickly scanning Nagy’s line scores for both years. It can be quite fun to bring up the box scores of games you were at years ago. I know there are probably several sites where you can do this, but this one works for me.

And just in case you were wondering, I have no affiliation with the site.

7. Eddard says:

They’re now just sitting 3.5 games back of a playoff spot. I’d say they’re back in it now after everyone wrote them off just 2 weeks ago. Now they need to put the division back in play this weekend and take at least 2/3 in Tampa.

If there’s one series I worry about it’s in Tampa because that’s been their house of horrors. Plus, A-Rod won’t be able to play all 3 games on turf so they’ll lose one of the 4 OF bats when he DHs, probably Ichiro.

8. b-rar says:

Weird seeing Mo pitch from the windup.

9. Get Phelps Up says:

A big congratulations to the offseason champion Blue Jays for becoming the first AL East team to lose all their games in a season at YS since the 04 Devil Rays.

10. Darren Durly says:

Warren Newsom looked outstanding at the plate that day.

11. CONservative governMENt says:

Phillies’ deal with Miguel Gonzalez hit a snag. Yankees should be sniffing around.

Gonzalez, Tanaka, Hinojosa for pitchers and Abreu at DH – Yankees could use savings from ARod, Rivera, Granderson, Kuroda, Pettitte to add some high-upside talent and give this team some buzz.

• IB6 UB9 says:

What about Alexander Guerrero, the Cuban shortstop rumored at $32M for 7 years?

With questions at SS, 3B and possibly 2B it seems like the Yankees should be all over this guy.

12. 28 this year says:

Wow the Yankees record is entirely held up by their complete dominance of the Blue Jays. 11 games over .500 on the Blue Jays. The blue jays account for about 1 in 5 wins, about 18% this season so far. That is just absurd. The Astros would be more competitive against the Yankees than that.

• jjyank says:

Meh. Just part of the “can’t predict baseball” thing. The Yankees also lost a lot of games to shitty teams like the Mets and White Sox. Take away the wins against the Jays, and add some wins from the Mets, and we stand in the same place.

13. Dave in VA says:

I hope the Yankees are taking it one series at a time. Winning every series would give them 92 wins minimum. That said, the next two series are pretty damn big just for getting really into the thick of the logjam.

The more I see this team the more I am reminded of the 1973 Mets (yes I am that old), last place and 6 games out near the end of August but then their regulars started coming off the DL and the wins started coming, and now they’re celebrating the 40th anniversary of that NL pennant this fall. So let’s go Yankees — win every remaining series. One series at a time.

14. trr says:

just very happy now. the team’s playing hard and playing well.
    way to go guys!

15. mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

“Good grief was that a long time ago.”
    Only yesterday for some of us…lol

Sticks and stones Mike Sticks and stones.

16. Kramerica Industries says:

Fucking Rays and their using the off-day to re-order their rotation.

No Fauxto this weekend. Archer, Price, and Cobb. Dammit.

• forensic says:

Yeah, that was pretty predictable.

From the files of stuff nobody cares about, two of those three guys are on my fantasy team and I have to decide if I want to start them against the ‘new look’ Yankees offense.

• jjyank says:

I have Price. I’ll sit him out of respect for the way the Yankees are playing if my team is doing well enough at the time. We’ll see.

• forensic says:

Price is the one I don’t have. It’s just tough because Cobb and Archer have almost always pitched well against them (even before this season for Cobb).

I have a little lead in my cumulative pitching stats so I could sit them and not risk hurting my ERA and WHIP though, I guess.

17. Robinson Tilapia says:

I think it’s wonderful the SI Yankee game is on. MannyGeee can finally learn how Abi Avelino is.

18. Gio says:

Damn, laser HR for Jagielo. Unfortunately for him, he’s bald as shit at such a young age. Oh well, I’d take the trade off of being rich and still getting ass.

19. Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

Yanks:

39-4 when scoring atleast 5 runs

29-55 when scoring less than 5 runs

20. Nuke Guy (Knoxvillain) says:

Ben Affleck is the new Batman it seems. Could they have chosen a worse actor? What the fuck?

• jim p says:

Michael Keaton.

• Nuke Guy (Knoxvillain) says:

I don’t know. Ben Affleck sounds pretty bad.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Think about what Keaton was known for before “Batman.”

I’m so burnt out on these superhero movies. I feel like we need ten years without one right now.

• Pat D says:

Marvel is at fault for that. I’ll be burned out on their movies by the time of Avengers 2, for sure.

I’m still game for DC movies, since I’ve always preferred DC anyway.

The thing is, these movies keep making big money, so they won’t stop.

• RetroRob says:

Keaton was excellent.

• Pat D says:

Sorry, didn’t see this post.

Actually, they could have chosen plenty of worse actors. Affleck really isn’t a bad actor anymore. He finally turned the corner.

I just don’t like it when an actor has played a comic book character and then goes to play another.

• Nuke Guy (Knoxvillain) says:

I’ve never been a big fan of Affleck. I read online that they were considering Josh Brolin and I would have liked that but I wish that Christian Bale stayed on.

• Pat D says:

He was really good in Changing Lanes (which was the highlight of his “I’m a good-looking celebrity actor” phase), Hollywoodland, The Town and Argo. He also wasn’t bad in The Sum of All Fears (he was closer to the book version of Jack Ryan than Harrison Ford), Smokin’ Aces (for how small his part is), Extract and The Company Men.

Of course, it’s been his directing that’s rehabbed his image.

• WhittakerWalt says:

He’s a good actor. He just made a few bad choices during a down point in his career. This would be funny 10 years ago, maybe. Before he was Oscar-winner Ben Affleck.

21. Darren says:

I’m submitting this comment under protest. Mentioning Mariano Rivera in the same breath as Sergio Mitre and Sidney Ponson? That’s not fun, it’s not funny.

22. Pat D says:

So…………Ben Affleck as Batman.

Thoughts?

• WhittakerWalt says:

After already playing Marvel’s Batman? That would be weird.

• the Real Greg says:

People absolutely hated Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker. And look how that turned out.

• Pat D says:

I just find it weird since he played Daredevil, that’s all.

The biggest problem is that the concept for the movie is a bad idea.

• the Real Greg says:

The bottom is that looking at Affleck, I can see a bit of Bruce Wayne in him. He kind of has that rich kid look about him. Now his Batman needs to be worked on.

What is the concept of the movie?

• Pat D says:

Supposedly somewhat based on The Dark Knight Returns. Which is a problem because that’s a Batman story, not a Superman story.

They’re not making a proper sequel to Man of Steel, which kind of pisses me off.

• the Real Greg says:

I don’t think its based on the Dark Knight Returns. I think the quote was just used to introduce the concept. I don’t think it’s going to be like that.

• Pat D says:

Well that’s what I keep reading. I hope they don’t go that route, because it would be wrong for this movie for so many reasons.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

It turned out great but it doesn’t mean Ben will follow the same path.

• the Real Greg says:

No. But what it does mean is not to jump to conclusions.

They did the same with Michael Keaton and that turned out great.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

No. But what it does mean is not to jump to conclusions.

—————-

True but I understand the reaction among a number of fans. This pick was going to create some waves.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

Not happy about it. Seems like a majority of ppl aren’t happy about him playing Batman

• Pat D says:

I’m going to wager those are comic book fanboys who haven’t actually seen his most recent movies. Like Greg said about Ledger/Joker, you can’t really judge until the final product is on screen.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

I’m sure a good percentage are fanboys but I think it’s even the casual fan. I mean Affleck a Batman after Daredevil was a joke.

• the Real Greg says:

But you and a lot of others will still go see the movie.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

If it’s good yea but if he stinks it up. Right or wrong ppl are going to go into the movie thinking this i Daredevil all over again.

• Pat D says:

I don’t think people will think that at all, really. At least not casual fans. By the time this movie hits theaters, it will have been 12 years since Daredevil’s release.

People won’t be comparing Affleck and his performance to him as Daredevil, they’ll be comparing him to Bale in The Dark Knight Trilogy.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

they’ll be comparing him to Bale in The Dark Knight Trilogy.

—————-

That might be worse for him.

• Pat D says:

Maybe, maybe not. I’m not going to stress about it until it’s happened.

One plus for him already: don’t use that barely comprehensible growl.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

Maybe, maybe not. I’m not going to stress about it until it’s happened.

———————–

Now that wouldn’t be fun. It’s like the Yankees I’m sure some fans are stressing over the post season number crunch :)

• Pat D says:

The problem is you have to ignore Daredevil and realize that Affleck is not a bad actor, with the movies I’ve cited previously.

Affleck really wasn’t the problem with Daredevil anyway. The whole project was just ill-conceived.

23. WhittakerWalt says:

So I’m listening to the game today, and Shawn Kelley starts getting knocked around in the 7th. At that point Papa Yankee goes “Joba Chamberlain warming in a hurry.”

Ummmm, what? Who ever thought that would have been a good idea? It turned out not to matter, but the idea that Joba would ever come in to get big outs seems pretty far-fetched.

24. Oy says:

The NL MVP race fascinates me. Paul Goldschmidt and McCutchen are obvious favorites and are so damn close in value. Paul is a slightly better hitter, but McCutchen has position advantage. Both are excellent fielders. Ultimately, I think it will come down to the fact that Paul has more RBIs and had more “clutch” moments. Won’t argue if he wins though, he is better offensively and McCutchen’s defense is not that elite.

Kershaw is the wild card, but I can’t imagine voters giving an MVP to a pitcher with <20 wins. And hell, Harvey is not that far of from him, albeit pitching less innings.

• Pat D says:

You’re forgetting the whole “guy whose team makes the playoffs” tendency. And that’s where McCutchen has a HUGE advantage over Goldschmidt.

• forensic says:

Unless they continue to fall like they did last year. They’re 4-8 in their last 12 games. It’d be tough for them to fall all the way to the D-Backs level (who are the first ones out right now in the NL), but you never know.

• Pat D says:

Pittsburgh could go .500 the rest of the way and Arizona would have to 27-9 to tie them.

No wonder they have a 96.9% chance of playoffs.