Sep

Boone Logan will have elbow surgery on Thursday

Via Mark Feinsand: Left-hander Boone Logan will have surgery to remove a bone spur from his elbow this Thursday. He is due to become a free agent this offseason and is expected to be ready in time for Spring Training. We first heard he needed the procedure about two weeks ago.

Logan, 29, pitched to 3.23 ERA (3.81 FIP) in 39 innings across 61 appearances this year while holding left-handers to a .215/.274/.377 (.281 wOBA) line with a 40.0% strikeout rate. It’s unclear if the surgery will affect how teams value him this winter — tests confirmed the ligament is fine — but the going rate for top lefty relievers is in the three-year, $12M range. We haven’t heard anything about whether the Yankees will try to retain Logan, who has been their best lefty reliever since Mike Stanton.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. JGYank says:

Don’t have a problem keeping him, but he is having surgery and there are other options out there but they are probably more expensive. We’ll see what happens I guess.

2. Pseudoyanks says:

So, in a situation like this, where he is no longer under contract, who pays for the surgery? I’ve always wondered how the extensive medical bills in baseball are paid. I guess teams have insurance, no brainer there, but do players also get that through the union for cases like this?

• Shittyshittybangbang says:

Wow dude, scary that you and I were on the same page.

• RetroRob says:

My immediate reaction is the Yankees pay it, yet I have no idea why. The more I think about it, my guess is no team directly pays for any of these surgeries, but they instead are covered under some league-wide coverage that all teams pay into.

Yet it’s all just a guess.

• vicki says:

didn’t mike address this in a chat or mailbag recently? i feel like he said a free agent’s last team pays medical and provides facilities and personnel for rehabbing. or i dreamed it.

• Pseudoyanks says:

Oh, I missed that sorry. Also, you need to spice up your dreams a little bit if you think it possible that you might have dreamed that ;)

3. Shittyshittybangbang says:

Wacky question Mike, but, who pays for such a surgery ? Is that covered through players union ? Or on a team basis ?

4. RetroRob says:

Maybe the injury will lower his rate. Logan has been kicked around a lot on RAB, but he’s actually been a valuable reliever. Cabral looked pretty good, so he could be a replacement.

• Nick Social says:

I’d be fine with bringing him back or just seeing what we can get out of Cabral.

Investing in relief pitchers is pretty dicey.

5. rose heller says:

just as long as he’s not covered by Obama care.