Sep

Hughes starting over Huff tomorrow

Phil Hughes will start in place of David Huff tomorrow, Joe Girardi announced. Huff got clobbered by the Red Sox last time out, but I think the free-swinging Orioles would be a much better matchup for him. Either way, I’m sure Girardi will have a really short leash. He should, anyway.

Categories : Asides, Pitching

1. just another reason why the Yankees really needed this game tonight.

Huff or Hughes is equally likely to be a bloodbath.

2. Dicka24 says:

I’m going to throw out a real reach, what if hypothetical. If the Yankees make the playoffs, and Nunez gets hurt, does Arod go to SS, with Reyonlds, or dare I say, Youk going to 3rd? Just something I was wondering.

• Winter says:

I’d love to see that happen, but I’d be shocked if it did.

• Cuso says:

If they make the playoffs, they have to make it through the wild

card game first.

This team is unlikely to win that game anyways, but would not use a lineup like that is a one-game-win-or-go-home scenario.

If they made it to the ALDS, is it possible? Maybe, but that’s assuming that they put Youkilis ON the postseason roster which is very unlikely.

But as far as A-Rod at SS – nope. No chance in hell. They’ll play Reynolds at SS before they put A-Rod there. Its the flavor of the month for people to speculate about A-Rod at SS, but its just not happening ever again. Id bet my grandkids ‘ eyesight on it. That’s how sure I am.

3. The Real Greg says:

I would sooner go out and rent a starter. Who I don’t know

4. Matt DiBari says:

If the Yankees’ season wastes away because they refuse to give up the ghost on Hughes and Chamberlain (A week after letting Joba piss away three winnable games) someone should be fired.

5. The Real Greg says:

Pinch hit grand slam for Mike Carp and the Yankees will creep closer.

6. Eddard says:

Death by arsenic or cyanide, it doesn’t really matter. I didn’t think they’d win game 4 in the series anyway. Carp has just hit a GS. Maddon went to Roberto Hernandez of all people. Farrell brought his closer in on the road in a tie game to get the top of his lineup a shot to win it and that’s why they’re gonna win the ballgame.

• Tom says:

Farrell brought his closer in because the Red Sox were the road team and in a tie game there is no save situation for the road team at that point.

Almost every manager does this; this isn’t some sort of interesting stragerinessment.

• Tom says:

Oops – I was thinking of Maddon bringing in Rodney and had this mixed up. He was the one following convention btinging Rodney in in the 9th.

7. scooter10 says:

If Nunez went down in the playoffs, I think it’s more likely that Cano would move to SS with Adams going to 2B. Not sure Arod has the range for SS anymore. Let’s hope we don’t find out.

• Jigga says:

What has the world come to where we are hoping Nunez doesnt get hurt because he’s the best option at SS? Lol

• umbrelladoc says:

“2. Generally, a post-season eligible player who is on an MLB Disabled List (7-day, 15-day, or 60-day) at the conclusion of the MLB regular season can be replaced on his club’s LDS, LCS, or World Series Active List (25-man roster) by any player (regardless of position) who was in the club’s organization as of midnight (Eastern) on August 31st, including players acquired from another organization prior to midnight on August 31st and minor leaguers who were not on the club’s MLB 40-man roster at that time.”
      So, they can call up Gonzalez or Lillibridge.

8. scooter10 says:

Awesome news! Can’t believe I’m rooting for the Bosox.

9. Rolling Doughnut says:

Sox 7-3 on a PH slam by Carp

10. adjusts batting gloves says:

Anyone want to place bets on Brendan Ryan hitting a “monster” homerun in this weekend’s series against the Sawx?

11. forensic says:

Sigh…

12. soxhata says:

Ok.so Huff had a tough start against the Beaneaters.Give him a few more starts.or at the very least.one more start.Hughes is as good as gone.and will probably thrive in the NL{see AJ Burnett.We need to move on.

13. Cesar "Stairs" Cabral says:

*lurks*

RIP Forensic

14. Robinson Tilapia says:

They could have just started the guy with the 6 ERA in the GCL they just gave up for Chris Nelson.

In all seriousness, I actually would have thrown Huff out there a second time, but I’m not expecting much out of either guy.

Watch Hughes throw a shutout now.

• Matt DiBari says:

I’d so much rather expect the worst from Hughes and be pleasantly surprised than get my hopes up and be disappointed

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Oh, that wasn’t hope for anything. That’s just me thinking what the hell he could do to spite us all the most.

By “us,” of course, you know who I mean…..

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

Early prediction: 7IP, 6h, 2bb, 7k, 2er.

2 runs come on 2 Davis HR’s. Chris Davis against Phil Hughes is just…not a matchup I want to think about. I’d almost rather just IBB him 2-3 times.

15. RetroRob says:

Death by fire, death by water?

16. mt says:

I am hoping Hughes takes this as maybe his last meaningful game in pinstripes and at least is respectable – although Hughes is bad, I do see a higher probability of Huff doing a 6 runs given up in 2 innings disaster than Hughes – Hughes may be able to scrape out a 5 runs in 4 innings start – poor but maybe not a complete disaster – also with Phil not being used for last turn’s start, hopefully his arm will feel a little refreshed.

I am grasping at straws here – hopefully Hughes will get a very short leash. Our bullpen is very deep – although pretty subpar. Kelley may be unavailable and they may not push Robertson tomorrow since he is coming back from an injury. Warren and Claiborne may be key.

They are going to push Mo tomorrow probably but we should not be shocked that he will give up some runs.

17. Cuso says:

I refuse to root for the Sox. We don’t need to become Boston Fans from 2011.

Just keep winning our games and the Rays’ opponents wont matter.

• JLC 776 says:

Amen!

There’s plenty of time for us to win and control our own destiny. We win the series against the Rays and do slightly better than their record in the other games and we’re in.

18. Darren says:

Hughes is poised for a big start. He’s admitted he got down mentally an needed a break. this rest gave him a chance to reset himself and take a breath. He’ll be whipping the gas by them tomorrow, just watch.

19. Captain says:

Hughes has gotten better results on the road this season so I’m figuring that was part of this decision. don’t need a perfect game, just has to limit the damage to give the lineup a chance. Girardi can’t let an inning snowball away from him.