Sep

Monday Night Open Thread

The first day of the offseason is always the worst. This afternoon I went to check the night’s pitching matchups and then my fantasy team (btw, booya!) out of habit, but there was nothing to check. This first day always sucks the most. Brian Cashman will hold his annual end-of-season press conference at noon tomorrow and I’m guessing Joe Girardi will speak then as well. This is typical, they do it every year, but obviously this offseason is expected to be anything but typical. It would surprise me if there was major news tomorrow; there rarely is at these things. I enjoy the “surprise, these guys were playing with these injuries” announcements more than anything. We’ll see how it goes.

Here is your open thread for this lovely evening. The Rays and Rangers are playing their tiebreaker game at 8pm ET on TBS (David Price vs. Martin Perez), with the winner moving on to play the Indians in the wild-card game on Wednesday. Dolphins-Saints is the Monday Night Football game. Talk about either game or anything else you want right here. Go nuts.

Sporcle Quiz!The 2013 Yankees quiz is now available. All you have to do is name the franchise record 56 (!) players who played for the team this season. I managed 52 of 56 and am pretty damn proud of that. Got all the pitchers and the obvious guys, but missed four spare part position players who were only with the team for a few weeks each. One was even on the Opening Day roster too.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Pseudoyanks says:

At least College Basketball practice officially started today!!

2. Thomas says:

I got 47/56. I managed to miss a couple of guys that are in our pen right now, so I’m pretty embarrassed.

3. Leg-End says:

Damn you Zagurski and Neal!

So close.

4. Come April 2015, or maybe even April 2014, that Sporcle quiz will be a bitch.

Always easiest to remember when the season just ended.

5. Jeff Kellogg (No. 8 / HP-CC)My favorite umpire (yeah I have them) of the 68 in the big leagues. He is in his 23rd season in the major leagues, Kellogg features a hitter’s strike zone, but interestingly to go with it, strike out rates when Kellogg is behind the plate, K-rates are still much higher than walk rates. In the years since he joined, he’s not ejected more than 50 players and in my book (total bias) one of the best umpires in baseball.

Tim Welke (No. 3 / 1B) Older brother of Portergate crew member Bill Welke, Tim is also a crew chief, but I feel like Kellogg is doing duties here as crew chief. Welke is a thirty year veteran of the sport, and one of the few umpires to be on the cover of Sports Illustrated (hopefully Angel Hernandez doesn’t join him. He has a high k-rate, which is more than above average and on most borderline calls, he will call it a strike. However, even despite the calls, he has a very low low ejection rate, he won’t toss you unless you really piss him off. If you rmeember, the day after Brett Gardner got ejected, Tim Welke was the umpire they mic talking to him.

Tom Hallion (No. 20 / 2B)If we couldn’t get Marty Foster here, this would be the next best option. If people remember, Tom Hallion got into a profane rant vs. tonight’s starter for Tampa Bay, David Price. That resulted in a one game suspension for him (should’ve been more). Hallion has been in the league since 1985 and is a pitcher’s umpire. Well, you’d have to look at data to figure it out. He also tends to have a very loose strike zone and likely will call some seriously borderline strikes. He is kind of 50-50 on the ejection palate.

Ron Kulpa (No. 46 / 3B)Ron Kulpa is not an umpire who seems to like not running his mouth. He is the last umpire to eject Barry Bonds and really his ejection rate s on the average. His strike zone leaves a lot to be desired, and will give every borderline call you can think of to the pitcher.

Bruce Dreckman (No. 1 / LF)Bruce Dreckman is kind of a forgotten umpire because he seems to never make the limelight. In the league since 1997, Dreckman is a hitter’s ump with a tight strike zone, the opposite of the other four described. But he has a high K-rate for a hitter’s ump. He also is a hothead and will eject you, be warned.

Chris Guccione (No. 68 / RF)Chris Guccione is a boring ump. He’s been in the league since 2000 and Gooch has responded with ejecting a lot of people. Don’t piss him off. He was the longest person before being promoted to a full-time umpire and you wonder why. His numbers are right on the norm, He does have a tight strike zone, and it tends to show up. For some reason umpires seem to have some really cool side jobs along with umpiring, nd Guccione is a hunter guide for Stillwater Outfitters. I think its really sweet.

• forensic says:

It makes no sense how the teams play with expanded regular season rosters but they set the umpires up in playoff format with six of them. No consistency.

6. WhittakerWalt says:

I started to do that quiz, but halfway through the Catcher part I got depressed and had to stop.
    Note: the Catcher part is the very first section.

7. The Real Greg says:

I got 46. I missed Nix and Youkilis. That was bad.

8. Lukaszek says:

Crap. Don’t know why, but when I take these quizzes first time I always miss out really obvious players. Can’t believe I suddenly forgot Granderson and A-Rod

• Lukaszek says:

Same thing happened when I took the “Name All Countries” quiz. Somehow remembered Mauritius and Vanuatu, yet managed to completely miss Bolivia and the Glorious People’s National Democratic Chairman’s Republic of China

• JGYank says:

Yeah I missed Tex and Youk on one of them. Almost missed Nunez and Ryan on another.

9. 42/56

I saw one schmuck had 22 starts this year. For the life of me, I could not remember that was David Phelps.

10. JGYank says:

50/56 first try. 56/56 after several tries. Bootcheck, Mesa, Miller, and Nelson were the tough ones for me. The pen was the toughest part closely followed by the SS/3B positions.

11. forensic says:

Chris Bootcheck was on the team???

Also missed Ben Francisco, which I’m actually pretty proud of. It means I’m blocking him out well.

12. NeilT says:

47/56. Forgive me for forgetting about Ben Francisco, but I feel sorry for Brennan Boesch and Brent Lillibridge.

13. The Real Greg says:

Meanwhile Evan Longoria hits a 2 run homer off of Perez to give the Rays a 3-0 lead.

You wonder if Ron Washington might be on the hot seat, if he isn’t already.

14. Roadgeek Adam’s favorite umpire seems a bit inconsistent and pitcher friendly tonight.

15. Robinson Tilapia says:

Tried to do the Sporcle quiz on an IPad – higher level of difficulty. :)

49 of 56. Missed Nuno (!), Cruz, Lillibridge, Mesa, Eppley, Bootcheck, and Zagurski.

16. FFS. Stop running into outs, Rangers.

17. Matt says:

48/56 completely forgot about Youkilis

18. Stratman9652 says:

Spelling killed me on that thing. The other problem I try to knock out the 1 or 2 game forgettable guys and then forget the major ones.

19. Lukaszek says:

Is it just me or is Longoria an absolute beast on the final days of the season?

Hit one homerun in 2009, two in 2011, three in 2012, and another one today. That’s 7 homeruns in 6 final games

• Well, it’s not just the final days of the season with that guy.

But yeah, I get your point. Dude kills it at the end.

• forensic says:

According to what I just saw on the ESPN ticker, he now has 7 HR’s in the final game of the season, which breaks a tie for the record with Stan Musial for the most ever.

So, yeah, he’s pretty good late in the season.

Of course, his playoff numbers are a different story and could use some serious improvement.

20. forensic says:

Kind of fitting that the Rangers season ends on Cruz’s AB.

21. Mandy Stankiewicz says:

David Price was badass tonight.
    …Cruz looked like garbage at the plate.

22. Gonzo says:

What did everyone think of the Breaking Bad finale?

23. Pat D says:

Only got 45 on that quiz.

Remembered Ishikawa, Nelson, Bootcheck, Joseph.

Forgot Francisco, Boesch………Teix and Jeter.

OK, moving on.

• Cuso says:

Donnie Baseball takes the fantasy league again. And ironically, my team was powered by Puig, Hanley and Kenley to widen the gap right around Memorial Day.

• forensic says:

Based on what I’m seeing, no one can see that link if they’re not signed in to CBS Sports.

But if we’re looking at fantasy champions, then I am one too (sometimes thanks to Nick Franklin, sometimes in spite of him, as you know). And I won mine after taking over the team in June when it was in 7th place out of 12 teams.

I keep going to my bookmark to set my team, but there’s nothing to do now. It’s weird….