Sep

Saturday Night Open Thread

I don’t know why, but I woke up this morning really missing Jorge Posada. He’s probably my second favorite Yankee all-time behind Mariano Rivera and sometimes you just miss those guys. I think I may have posted that video before, maybe even recently, but I don’t really care. Posada was awesome and I’m sad he’s gone.

Here’s your open thread for the night. MLB Network will air a game (who you see depends on where you live) and I’m sure there’s college football on somewhere. Talk about whatever you like here. Go nuts.

Categories : Open Thread

1. the Other Steve S. says:

Well hell, I know why.

2. trr says:

I’d like to her some rationale as to how/why we’re going to win tomorrow …Any takers?

3. RetroRob says:

As I said when Posada was at the end and people were bashing him: You’re gonna miss him when he’s gone.

I came of age as a baseball fan during the Munson years and lived with the crap between Munson and Posada. There were a few momentary bright spots, but most of it sucked. Productive catchers are tough to get because teams lock them up.

Same thing with Jeter at SS. We’re going miss him when he’s gone. Much more than you realize.

4. Kevin says:

Yanks first team in MLB history to lose three straight games while scoring eight or more runs.

• RetroRob says:

First Yankee team or first team ever in all MLB? Kind of surprised if it’s the latter just based on the length of MLB history and sheer number of games. I would have guessed some team had scored 8 or more runs and lost more than three games consecutively.

• forensic says:

First team in history, but the stats I saw said it was the first home team to do that.

I believe also the first Yankee team in history to lose 3 straight when allowing 8 or more runs in each game.

• Need Pitching & Hitting & Defense & Baserunning says:

I think the stat I saw was first home team in AL history.
        Regardless of the qualifiers, it’s bad.

• EffTheSox says:

Its been discussed before, but when the hell is a Yankee pitcher going to go up and in with heat to these bearded mothers? The Sox are digging with no fear

5. your mom says:

Hopefully we don’t get swept tomorrow, but honestly, who gives a flying fuck already??

Hooray for football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. dkidd says:

let’s go angels, clap clap clap-clap-clap

let’s go angels, clap clap clap-clap-clap

7. Kiko Jones says:

It’s hard not to miss the no.1 offensive catcher of the ’00s and a key component of multiple championship teams. Having said that, I only warmed up to Posada in his final season when his struggles humanized him in my eyes. And I actually got a little emotional that day in Anaheim when he came in to emergency catch after Russell Martin got injured. (Never forget Tex getting pumped up to see Posada put on his gear.)

Before that, I saw him as a more macho and emotional version of Mr. Aloof himself, his best bud, Mr. Jeter. Which is why I appreciate and respect what the ’90s teams did, but it felt way too corporate and meathead for me to follow closely.

Also, it’s time for Posada’s best bud to retire. He looks atrocious out there. And it don’t look like he’ll be improving much…

8. ialien says:

i’m still grateful that the FO decided to chase an unlikely playoff chance instead of selling at the deadline. Now the team can miss the playoffs, & have crappy position in the draft.

worst of all, playing jeter all these games & risking that he might not be healthy in 2014 now.

These yankee executives & their 6 figure salaries sure are smart.

9. Bo Knows says:

Considering the catcher situation since Jorge has been gone, I’ve been weeping tears of sadness since then. Maybe Jorge would like to join Pena and host a yankee catcher seminar for Romine, Murphy and Sanchez. Pena can teach the techniques of defense while Jorge can teach them how to hit like a borderline H.o.F and top 5 catcher in Yankee history.

10. forensic says:

I was never a huge fan of Posada. I respected the ability since he could hit a bit and just barely fake C enough to get away with staying there for awhile.

But, his last season and pulling himself out of the lineup because he didn’t like where he was batting really dropped him to a new level for me, and I still haven’t been able to fully get past that.

• dkidd says:

“hit a bit”?

• forensic says:

Yeah, after I reread it that was an unfair understatement. He was a good hitter, especially since he was able to barely fake C enough to stay there, is probably a little more fair.

• WhittakerWalt says:

He was a better catcher (and hitter) than you’re giving him credit for. Yeah, he pulled some bitch moves in that last year. No doubt about it. He’s hardly the first ballplayer to go out in undignified fashion, though. Jeter still has a chance to embarrass himself, too.

• RetroRob says:

Ehh, it was one game after 17 years of big-time service as he was facing his career mortality. He always wore his heart on his sleeve. That outburst didn’t bother me.

I’ll take another Posada today and slot him behind the plate for the next 15 years.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Please don’t misunderstand me. I loved Jorgie. He’s like my 3rd favorite player ever. I think he was incredibly valuable and criminally underrated.
          I just wish he hadn’t thrown that one tantrum that time.

• vicki says:

i think the only men who can understand the panic and poignancy of fading beauty are professional athletes.

and tennessee williams.

11. dkidd says:

career ops 20 points higher than jeter

jorge was my favorite

12. Ethan says:

Any people really good with computers out there? I’m having some issues with my desktop…

13. YankeeFan says:

Glad to see Marshall pitch well. Maybe he gets a chance down the stretch for a few starts. He’s a bulldog who I would much prefer to see than guys who have no future with this team and seem ready to go home.

14. dasani says:

I had a dream last night that Cano signs with the Angels

15. Robert says:

Saw Gary Sanchez on Thursday at Trenton,he reminds me of Posada

16. Umbrelladoc says:

Love Jorge too. The homegrown strength up the middle especially offensively was a key component to the Yankee run on the 90s. Jorge had a couple of classic ESPN ads too. The Johnnie Walker Black ones not so much.

17. And in merrie olde England says:

This has to be the first Posada related thread I’ve seen without reference to his 80 wife.

18. fuster says:

how could Posada be ANYONE’S second all-time favorite Yankee?

how could Posada be viewed more favorably than Yogi, Gehrig, Mantle, or Jeter?

• forensic says:

Nobody’s saying he’s better than Berra, Gehrig, or Mantle. Just that those guys pre-date many of us so there is no real frame of reference of having watched them play personally which would theoretically lead to them being somone’s favorite player.

There’s a huge difference between the two categories.

19. Mick taylor says:

The problem with this team is there is no leadership . These young pitchers have looked scared of the sox. They need veteran leadership to remind them what uniform they are wearing. Arod gets hit by dumpster but yanks take no retribution. Ortiz and now Napoli are never dusted off the plate . Jeter is great playerand unanimous hofer but he has never been a leader. Cano is nothing more thana player interested in his own stats. He probably went to dinner last nite with his godfather big steroid needle in poopie. Do think if Paul o’neil were on this team his reaction would be like these players which is they really do notcare whether they win or lose as along as they are making their millions.Jorge posada I miss you.

20. Yankeegm says:

I know the feeling. Even tho I started following the yanks as a 7y/o in 1974, my fave is Bernie. He was not only a great player, great Yankee and great man, but he was really the first player I had serious interest in when he came up and to wArch him become a (near) HOF player was great. I watch almost every game, and sometimes I unconsciously find myself wishing number 51 was on deck.