Sep

Sunday Night Open Thread

The game didn’t go according to plan this afternoon, but that really doesn’t matter since the Yankees were dead in the playoff race water anyway. The pre-game Mariano Rivera ceremony was outstanding though and that made for a stellar Sunday. First-rate all the way. If you missed any part of the nearly hour-long ceremony, check out the various videos above. They’re all worth it.

Once you’re done with that, use this as your open thread for the evening. Cardinals-Brewers (Kelly vs. Peralta) and Bears-Steelers are your Sunday night baseball and football games, respectively. Also: Breaking Bad. Hell yeah. Talk about Rivera’s ceremony, the late games, Walter White, or anything else right here. Have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. trr says:

Forget about the game. The team being eliminated was a forgone conclusion

let’s celebrate, Mo, and yeah, Andy – So many memories, so many championships. I’ll never forget….

Thank you both. Thanks for everything.

• Mike B. says:

Yes, I must admit I shed a few tears during the opening ceremonies. So many great memories from a time when I was in a dfferent place in life and so many of the people who are now gone were still around. I remember sitting in the bleachers when it was still fun to sit out there (unlike now) and watching Andy and Mo do their things for so many years. I shall miss them both a great deal, as I miss those years and the life that was a part of them. Be well and be safe, Mo and Andy. Old Section 37 in the bleachers will never forget you. Thank you!

2. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

At least Ratatouille and The Incredibles are on.

Both are great, but The Incredibles is one of my favorite movies period. Absolutely awesome, the fight scenes are amazing and the dialogue is some of the best in any movie I’ve ever seen.

• Steinbrenner Ghost says:

What grade are you in?

• billbybob says:

Ratatouille is the Citizen Kane of Pixar flicks. Duh….

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Ratatouille is obviously a really great movie but I don’t think it’s the best. It’s better than Toy Story 3 (great, but a bit too dark), Monster’s Inc., and MAYBE Finding Nemo (which I think is a little bit overrated), but I would argue worse than the first two Toy Story movies, Wall-E, Up, and, of course, The Incredibles, which is just amazing.

That said, you can make a case for all of those movies and it would be hard to argue.

• Pat D says:

Pixar movies are not just for kids.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I concur. Anybody who disagrees obviously hasn’t seen them, or went into them with preconceived notions that they’re “children’s movies”.

Really looking forward to “Inside Out”. It looks like another classic Pixar movie, experimental and risky with the potential to be amazing and utterly original.

• qwerty says:

No, but 99% of them are for kids. A couple of outliers like Ratatouille and Incredibles doesn’t change that. Both those films along with the Iron Giant(WB) were directed by Brad Bird. Any animated film not directed by Bird is automatically a kids film.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Does it matter? Pixar is awesome period, not just for kids. At least, the top Pixars are (as in, every movie but A Bug’s Life, both Cars movies (so I’ve heard), and Monsters University (so I’ve heard).

Possibly the most consistently great (not even good, great) movie studio of all time. Fuck grades.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Yeah, The Incredibles is probably the best argument for Nietzschean philosophy in the last 100 years.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

It’s probably the most right-wing movie that wasn’t written specifically to be a political statement I’ve ever seen. In any case, it was extremely impressive philosophically.

3. JGYank says:

Wait so does Robinson have two plaques in MP or was that the first one? Did they ever retire his number in YS before or they did they wait because of Mo?

4. Pseudoyanks says:

Thanks Mike. I missed the ceremonies today so appreciate these vids.

5. mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Just hoping that they can get back on top sooner rather then later. Watching this great dynasty retire just reminds me that it took me 15 years as fan to get there. Some of you have lived with nothing but Yankees success and I hope you never get to taste true failure like in the 80′s.
    Watching the Canseco and McGuire A’s come to town and not wondering if the Yankees are going to win only wondering by how much they going to lose. Going to Yankees Stadium to watch the opposing teams stars because Yankees suck. Knowing that the season is over not with 6 games left, but before the All-Star break!
    Failure that makes you someday look back at a season like this longing to be in it as long as they were. I hope none us of have to go through that kind of failure again because believe it sucks to NO END.

6. Lukaszek says:

On the plus side, I finally found the Gaimbi grand slam video from 2002. I don’t know why, but walk-off grand slams are a huge baseball fetish for me. Walk-off wins themselves are awesome, grand slams are awesome, so combined together, it’s like a soup of baseball awesomeness.

7. That game really stung today. Yankees are too far out of it now with too few games left. Valiant effort to get back in the race, but ultimately they were still their own worst enemy, and that cost them in the end. Damn. I will still be watching these final six games, I will still be hoping for a miracle, but, realistically, the Yankees just don’t have a chance to reach October at this point anymore.

In any case, thanks for everything, Mr. Pettitte. Thanks for everything, Mr. Rivera. The pleasure has been unbelievable. The success has been unmatched in the last 40 years. The contributions they made to many excellent Yankees’ teams has spoiled the fanbase over multiple times over, and I readily acknowledge this. But it has been fun, it has been a pleasure, and after next Sunday, enjoy your well-earned retirements. Your roster spots will ultimately be replaced, but the memories never will.
    Like ยท

• Bob Buttons says:

On my recent (and only, to date) trip to YS I figured it might be the only chance I get so I took a video of Pettitte throwing to Stewart pre-game. (Of course it was on a cellphone so you can’t really tell who it was, but I know and that’s enough.)

Glad I did that.

• mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

+10000000000

WELL DONE!

well done

• mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Like to thank these guys for the 2000 World Series. I had the pleasure of going to games 1 and 2 and I didn’t have to live the rest of my life with the pain of losing to the Mets.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

• I posted this on my FB, and didn’t realize I accidentally copied the “like” in with that.

Dumbass.

8. Bob Buttons says:

DAMN IT THEM F__KING GIANTS! WHAT THE BLOODY HELL MAN! WHY DO WE HAVE TO LOSE LIKE THAT!!!!

Also, it’s a shame San Fran beat us, but it’s more because we suck. Would have been nice to win today but today is nice regardless of the game’s result.

9. Steinbrenner Ghost says:

Watching the Jets and Marv Albert is really underrated as football announcer.

• Evan3457 says:

Marv Albert is one of the greatest sports broadcasters ever. His calls of the Knicks Championships are still thrill to this day. Try to find his call of game 5 of the Finals in May of 1970. It’s worth it.

• ropeadope says:

Don’t forget his Rangers broadcasts with “The Big Whistle” Bill Chadwick, and later, Sal “Red Light” Messina. Especially when playing the Maple Leafs in Toronto and King Clancy and Chadwick would reminisce between periods.

10. LarryM Fl says:

Mo and Andy appreciate the memories provided. May you have a long healthy retirement. It is well earned. Please do not hesitate to assist the newer Yankees in learning how to win.

11. I'm a looser baby so why don't you kill me? says:

I’m bummed that Metallica playing isn’t in the clips. Anyone have a link?

12. BigBlueAL says:

Jeter, Torre, Bernie and Posada still need to have their numbers retired. Love O’Neill and Pettitte but to me retiring their numbers would be overkill.

If Cano re-signs with the Yankees and presumably retires as a Yankee he would definitely be in strong consideration to have his number retired too although he has worn 3 different numbers but has worn #24 since 2006 so basically his entire career. Remembered he was 14 when he was called up, forgot about wearing 22 before switching to 24 in anticipation of signing Clemens.

13. By the way, some people may have been saying back during the Old Timers Day ceremonies that they really couldn’t feel the strong attachment to many of those players, likely in part because of the fact that they didn’t see those players during their memorable lifetime.

Well, we saw Paulie, Bernie, Tino, Jorge, Wetteland, Nelson, and others (players alone). And, yes, there was definitely some nostalgia involved in all of that.

14. Bo Knows says:

I’m so glad the Panthers laid the smackdown on the Giants (I’m a Panther’s fan)at least that lightens the load on a crappy season so far

15. Gotta say, an underrated aspect of Rivera, not only today but for several years, has been his association with Jackie Robinson and his family. He was the last player to ever wear #42 and, holy shit, I’m not sure there could’ve ever been a better person, let alone player, to wear that number going forward.

16. cr1 says:

How lucky we are to be fans of a team that knows how to celebrate its best.

Days like this make it easy to go on loving the team through thick and thin.

We may not actually be the best fans in the world, like Jeter always calls us, but in some respects we are certainly the most indulged.

Well done Yankees. Again.

17. Cool Lester Smooth says:

It was personal to me, Evil Landry!