Sep

Yankees place Jeter on DL, ending his season

(Rich Schultz/Getty)

(Rich Schultz/Getty)

The Yankees have placed Derek Jeter on the 15-day DL with continued left ankle problems, the team announced. Brian Cashman confirmed the Cap’n is done for the season and won’t return even if the Yankees manage to qualify for the playoffs. Bummer.

“It’s very disappointing not to be able to play, especially this time of year. This is when I want to play the most,” said Jeter. “This entire year has been pretty much a nightmare for me physically, so it’s kinda fitting that it ends like this.”

“This was a much more difficult rehabilitation situation than we ever expected,” added Cashman. He acknowledged the DL move was made to protect both Jeter and the team from rushing things, and also said they weren’t planning to shut him down as recently as yesterday.

Jeter, 39, played just 17 games this year with a series of leg problems, including quad and calf issues. Dr. Robert Anderson, who performed the ankle surgery last October, said Jeter needs to strengthen the area around the ankle and there simply isn’t enough time to do so at this point.

“I haven’t been able to work out my legs since October of last year,” said Jeter when asked about returning next season. “I truly believe that with a full offseason working out how I’m used to working out, I can return to doing what I normally do.”

The Yankees acquired Brendan Ryan from the Mariners last night to bolster their shortstop depth. He is not eligible for the playoff roster, however. If they manage to get that far, Eduardo Nunez will be the guy.

Categories : Injuries

1. dkidd says:

nightmare season is complete

2. pop says:

Probability of return for the postseason?!?

3. YankeeFan says:

It’s too bad but probably the right move.

4. Pseudoyanks says:

Damn.

5. RetroRob says:

When they picked up Ryan, I expected his season was done.

Rest up, get his legs in shape in the offseason, and come back for 2014.

It is a bit scary because it is not impossible that Jeter’s career is done if his ankle issue is chronic.

• Brendan Ryan says:

kay just asked the obvious: how can jeter strengthen his legs in the offseason if the ankle again has him in a boot?

• Mikhel says:

I doubt it is chronic, he just had a short time to try and recover from a horrible fracture, those things take months to heal and be able to walk, let alone try to play in pro-ball.

I expect Jeter to come back fine for 2014.

This might as well be part of ARod’s points that the Yanks doctors are not doing their job properly and speculate that it MIGHT BE on purpose (just for the sake of his argument, even as silly as it sounds).

• RetroRob says:

Yes, agreed, although it’s something that at least has to be considered.

Listening to Cashman and what the doctor said, it supports my belief that his legs were never in shape and that is leading to the multiple injuries. He has the next six months to strengthen his legs and the muscles around the break.

I do believe he’ll be fine, but we have to consider more than ever that he may never make it back fully, even if I don’t believe that will be the case.

• OldYanksFan says:

We are not Doctors here, but I agree 100%. I’m sure if Jeter was just walking around like the rest of us, his ankle and legs would be fine. But considering the stress of playing professional baseball, his ankle and leg muscles just didn’t have enough time to strengthen the amount needed to play a sport.

My guess is he will have the finest rehab program money can buy over the next 6 months and be 100% ready for April. He may be a bit rusty, and of course a year older, but I expect the ankle/leg issues will be behind him by April.

6. Brendan Ryan says:

Jeter’s never coming back.

7. Captain says:

2014 will be his farewell tour right?

8. brian says:

What is there to say? Brutal, being a Yankee fan hasn’t been as much fun since we went down in game 1 of the ALCS last year

Let’s just hope he comes back strong in 2014

9. Widget says:

It’s not a loss. He’s looked terrible.

10. Ed says:

Is it the 15 day or 60 day DL? 15 is pointless in September.

• RetroRob says:

Is 60-day possible when there’s only 18 games left in the season?

• Ed says:

Yup – they put Thome on the 60 day when they needed a roster spot a few days ago.

It sounds like he’s only on the DL to avoid any temptation of using him, but the 60 does that too, and gets them an extra roster spot. Only reason I see to use the 15 day is if they’re not 100% committed to completely shutting him down.

• ProjectNeo says:

I think you mean Hafner to the 60 day (wish they would have signed Thome during the offseason though.)

I am curious as to why they don’t 60 day him, wont that open a spot on the 40 man.

• Ed says:

Haha you’re right, I meant Hafner. I second guessed it when I wrote Thome but couldn’t figure out why it was wrong.

• RetroRob says:

BTW What happened to Thome? Did he decide to retire or did no team come calling? He didn’t seem done with the bat last year, and frankly he is less injury prone than Hafner.

11. JGYank says:

So that’s why they picked up Ryan. Even though Jeter’s range is bad, this is still a big blow. He is still easily our best offensive shortstop. Nunez has shown he can’t be relied upon in the field and doesn’t provide much value with the bat either. Ryan is a lost cause offensively but will at least give us great defense. Not sure if he’ll start though. Would be a great defensive replacement and wouldn’t get ABs that way so that hurts his chances of being the starting SS.

Just an awful season for the captain. What’s this the 4th time he has been on the DL? Just sucks.

12. Darren says:

Now all of you dummies who couldn’t wait to throw dirt on the Jeter coffin can have fun with the Brendan Ryans and Nuneys of the world. Enjoy your sub-replacement level SSs for the next few weeks, asshats.

13. Steve says:

Since Ryan isn’t playoff eligible, if the Yankees make it, I’d imagine Alberto Gonzalez will be the guy. I’m curious if he or Nunez would start though…

14. losealot says:

my mother shattered her ankle a few years and had to have bolts put in there to help with the healing. now, i realize she is much older than jeter and not a pro athlete but her ankle didn’t feel right as long as the metal bolts were in there. she healed 100% but still had discomfort. about a year after the original surgery she had the bolts removed and everything has been great ever since. once again, my mom doesn’t play short stop for the yankees, but maybe jeter should explore getting rid of the metal in his ankle. otherwise, it might never feel normal again.

15. Al says:

It time to take old Yeller to the back of the club house and shoot him and put him out

16. Widget says:

Shame he isn’t allowed to take PEDs that could help recovery. He’s aging exactly like an old player would. Meanwhile Dave Arias Roiditz came back just fine from an injury. Must be nice to cheat and never get caught.

17. Joe T says:

Jeter moves to 3B for 2014 after A-Rod’s suspension??????

18. Frank says:

Bottom line- whether Jeter plays next year or not, the Yanks need a new everyday SS. Yanks need to stop kidding themselves. Jeter’s had a great career but it’s time to move from the position. DH, 1B perhaps, but not SS.

• JGYank says:

He is going to get time at DH no matter what. Corner outfielder maybe? I know that is filled but why not? I don’t want to see too much of Ichiro or Wells. 3b makes sense too. Not 1b need Tex’s glove there. Imagine Cano leaves and Jeter plays at second. That would be weird.

19. Chris says:

Nunez is NOT the guy, despite the fact he’ll be filling the role. I can already see it: Sept 29th, bottom of the ninth with 2 out and a man on third, visiting Houston needing one last win to get in as the 2nd wild-card and Nunez air-mails first base after going 0 for 4 with 3 K’s that day.

Nunez is a cluster-f**k of a player and costs us as many runs as he knocks in with his sloppy D, if not more…there’s a reason no one wanted him at the deadline despite him being dangled out there…

Sad to see Jete done for the year (and possibly career), but it’s the right thing to do…

20. Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

That’s exactly what I said on Sunday

21. Wheels says:

Should have sat out this entire season in the first place.

• 461deep says:

Severe ankle injury and near 40 starting next year will be hard to overcome. Jeter will give it his best and do okay briefly but playing SS another full year seems daunting. No team can make unreasonable concessions for 1 player over a full season but can a few test games.

22. Joey says:

Jeter and Mo will never play together again, sad…

23. Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

Jeter had surgery on Oct 20th and he returned to action on March 10th.

That’s 4 1/2 month.

That was too soon. Especially for a 39 year old.

24. vicki says:

and texas goes down; farnsy with the save.

they’re sure keeping it interesting with the tribe and rangers losing today, royals winning.

25. Robinson Tilapia says:

Sad, but he was never going to get his stride going like this. It feels like the right move to me. Rest up for 2014 and go out in style.

Now we just have to live with HIM the rest of the way.

26. ruralbob says:

All the trolls…really sad.

27. Betty Lizard says:

Less painful to see him not playing than to see him play in his current condition.