Oct

Friday Night Open Thread

So … Gerrit Cole dominated the best offensive team in the league in their own ballpark with his team down one game-to-none in a best-of-five playoff series this afternoon. Oh, and he drove in a run with a single back up the middle. He’s already a better pitcher and hitter than anyone on the Yankees roster. Sigh. The video isn’t embeddable, but here’s the link.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the wonderful Friday evening. The Dodgers and Braves (Greinke vs. Minor) are playing right now on TBS, and later tonight the Tigers and Athletics (Scherzer vs. Colon) will play at 9:37pm ET, also on TBS. The Devils and Islanders are also playing (each other), so there’s plenty to talk about. As you know, anything goes here. Enjoy.

Categories : Open Thread

1. forensic says:

He’s already a better pitcher and hitter than anyone on the Yankees roster.

I don’t know about being a better hitter than anyone on the roster, but he’s certainly better than Nunez… and that Ichiro guy too…

• Joey says:

Take solace in the fact that had he signed with the Yankees he would’ve developed in to only a decent reliever at best because the Yankees CAN’T DEVELOPE A STARTING PITCHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. pat says:

Cole makes me so sad/angry. Whatever though, he’d probably only be in AA with us throwing 85 after TJ, appendicitis and halitosis.

3. vicki says:

ugh, mike. you knew what you were doing. why open the same lame gerrit cole what-if talk?

4. forensic says:

I read Mike’s mailbag from earlier about potential managers to replace Girardi, but he seemed to miss one of the most important factors according to the Greg-criteria.

Which ones of them have families???

• Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

Who’s “greg”

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Is this really a “thing” now?

*shakes head*

• forensic says:

I’m sorry for making one bad joke. Maybe I should’ve just asked when pitchers and catchers report.

Or tried to contribute something fabulous like this:

OMGZ They didn’t wave the white flag early in the season and cry DOOOOOOOOOM when they were obviously royally fucked as everyone with a real pair of eyes has known every season since 2008. It’s what Steinbrenner would have done. He is rolling in his grave. Steinbrenner always gave up before actually playing TEH GAMEZ.

Especially considering it was just a quiet open thread.

• Pat D says:

Really? I think all he was trying to say was that the less references to Greg there are, the better.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Wasn’t really what I was saying either. I was just questioning whether people on here are actually really trying to make something of “Joe has a family.” Nothing at all to do with forensic.

Still, though, it’s good to know he’s got an army of copy/paste comments ready to throw back at you the moment he thinks you’ve wronged him, no matter how many times you’ve been nice to him before. Whatever.

• forensic says:

I sure read it as a bash on me so I just defended myself, as no one on here is innocent of never making stupid like comments like these.

If that’s not how it was meant, then I apologize. And I wasn’t jumping on your back, just showing how innocuous I feel my comment was compared to some that appear on here (and certainly not just from you).

And I think I’ve built up plenty of goodwill on here with many, but it’s been a rough week on here and personally/professionally, so I admit my fuse is probably a little short right now. So, take it as you choose I guss.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Apology accepted. We’ve all been there. A bit of the benefit of the doubt next time, as I always give it to you, would be nice.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Woah, dude. You completely misread what I was trying to say there.

I do appreciate, though, how quickly you’ll jump on another regular commenter’s back on here, though.

• Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

How many families?

Billy Martin famously had his wife, mistress, and girlfriend all attend a game one night in the 80s.

5. JGYank says:

That video brings back so many good memories…. Good times.

6. David Brown says:

I made a statement that the Yankees should have simply bitten the bullet and released Rodriguez’s sorry A** and paid him off in full, in exchange for no further lawsuits. Now they may have to not only pay him in full (zero games is very possible), but may have to pay him more money in a lawsuit which I believe will be successful (See Steinbrenner vs Winfield). What bothers me more than Rodriguez are these enablers/trolls on chat boards who think he is Mariano Rivera. I cannot stand Rodriguez, who except for Chad Curtis (who is slightly below a Jerry Sandusky creep level) is my All-Time least favorite Yankee (Ed Whitson, Kevin Brown, Carl Pavano & Randy Johnson included).

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

1) He hasn’t sued the Yankees …yet anyways.
      2) When he gets suspended (0 games is exceptionally unlikely, 50 games should be the absolute minimum), they will save the money owed for the length of the suspension.

• JGYank says:

I don’t understand the Arod defenders either, but if the Yanks/league did screw him over in any way he still should be able to defend his rights. If he is throwing out bs accusations, then f him and all the bs he brought to the Yanks and baseball.

• Captain Turbo says:

Bah. Straw man argument. We who support A-Rod have no delusions about him. We know he’s not a saint but Selig’s corrupt regime has to be taken down and Alex is the man to do it.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Absolutely NO ONE on these boards thinks ARod is as good a guy as Mariano Rivera. NO ONE. Rivera is practically a saint.
        ARod may very well be an asshole, but he’s our asshole. While he’s our third baseman I’ll hold my nose and root for him to be the best he can be.
        And -while he may be a lying, cheating creep- until it’s proven to me that he’s more and worse of a lying creep than any of the other guys who cheated I’m going to believe that he’s being disproportionately persecuted.

• I'm a looser baby so why don't you kill me? says:

Precisely this.

7. JGYank says:

Missed all the division series games today. Didn’t expect the Pirates to bounce back so well after the tough loss last night. Looks the Dodgers are going to be a force with Kershaw and Greinke and their lineup. Cards, RS, and Tigers also look like very scary teams to face as well. I think all four of those teams get into the championship series.

Did anyone see the RS destroy the Rays? Not the way the Rays wanted to start off the ALDS. Looks the new playoff format is working by putting the WC teams at a disadvantage.

8. Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

If Dodgers get bounced by Braves, does Mattingly get bounced himself?

9. vicki says:

inauspicious start for big bart.

• forensic says:

Yup, wasn’t helped by his defense though. I’m not sure how there wasn’t an error (either instead of the hit or just allowing the run to score) on the Barton/Sogard play.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Thank god you didn’t misread Vicki. Who knows how many of her comments you’ve got saved.

• forensic says:

Oh geez, how long is this gonna go on now?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

We can consider it done. I appreciate the apology.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I also hope you’re not doing too badly and that luck goes a bit more your way next week, or no matter how long it takes with whatever you’ve got going on.

• forensic says:

Yeah, it’ll be all good, hopefully. Just immature coworkers making stupid/immature decisions to not help out another coworker which then sort of forces that person to quit, leaving our already short-handed unit even more short-handed.

Just bugs me when people don’t know when and how to grow up and be adults with their priorities in the right places.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Ugh. Sorry to hear. No matter how meaningless we claim they are, office politics will always get to us.

I now have to replace three of my five staff. Luckily, they all gave notice within a month of one another and I can just hire all the candidates I liked in one fell swoop. Now I just have to train them and worry about how long they’ll stick around.

• Psycho Trish says:

Pipe down asshole and get off of Forensic’s back.

10. Betty Lizard says:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    Tony Bosch cannot hear Bud Selig;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
    Surely the Alex lawsuits are at hand.
    The Alex lawsuits! Hardly are those words out
    When a vast image out of the New York Post
    Troubles my sight: a dark black SUV;
    A shape with centaur body and the head of a man,
    A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
    Is moving its repaired hips, while all about it
    Wind shadows of indignant bloggers.

The darkness drops again but now I know
    That a long year of rocky rehab
    Was vexed to nightmare by a foul suspension,
    And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
    Slouches towards MLB to be freed?

11. Dale Mohorcic says:

Michael Kay on the radio for the A’s-Tigers game. That new wife of his must be running up quite a tab.

• forensic says:

I like Kay, but Aaron Boone just went all ‘base-clogger’ on us when talking about Cabrera, Fielder, Martinez.

• WhittakerWalt says:

It’s like, I get the idea that it’s frustrating to watch slow guys on the basepaths. We had our share this past year, and it’s annoying that you need 3 basehits to score some guys.
        But the “base clogger” think is just pure ignorance.

12. Derp says:

One hit makes him better than anyone in the NY lineup?

There really should be no wonder why your incessant whining gets old and tired.

13. nickswishahisastahtingpitchah says:

yankees need new leadership from top to bottom

damon oppenheimer… done. if you’re going to draft players in the 1st round that no one’s ever heard of… cause you’re trying to be an “artist” they better not turn out to be crap. and they did. get a job loser

yankees medical staff. can’t keep anyone on the field, can’t spot and injury before we acquire them (pineda) and now arod’s suing you cause you don’t know which hip is bad. worst med staff in ball. fired. get a job at the mall losers

joe girardi… was a mediocre player and an even worse manager. only asswipe who doesn’t know joba won’t get through the inning. shouldn’t be working in ball. i get it, you’re muscular. go work at the gym loser

anybody involved in the minor league system… you can’t develop players worth a shit. we could throw a rock in the air and find someone better. get a job losers

bri cashman. just because you’re a nerd doesn’t make you smart. i could kick your ass, and i suck. if you did the constanza opposite of all your moves… push for darvish, sign martin, forget ichiro, wells… we’d be better off. think about that. and before you say management made him do it that makes it even worse. we need a gm who can stand up to management instead of complaining for years even though he keeps signing the damn contracts. total loser

and before you respond. don’t waste your time. i’m a total troll in my mom’s basement eating paint chips and i won’t even read the thread so don’t waste your time