Oct

Monday Night Open Thread

Jim Leyland retired from managing today, giving me a good enough excuse to post this video of him cursing out Barry Bonds in 1980-something. You are forewarned, the language is pretty harsh. I wouldn’t listen if I was around kids or whatever. The Tigers job is a pretty desirable one — I’d take that over the Nationals, the potential for instant success if off the charts — but I don’t think Joe Girardi would have left the Yankees for Detroit had he been given the chance. Girardi legitimately seemed to make a family decision.

Anyway, here is your open thread for this baseball-less night. The Monday Night Football Game is the Vikings and Giants (8pm ET on ESPN) and the Knicks are playing a preseason game. That’s pretty much it for local sports. Talk about either game or anything else right here. Have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. kenthadley says:

I see where Dodgers signed a Boras 2B. Wonder if Scotso is strategizing how to marginalize Cano’s market to prove that he should have stayed with Boras…without LA in the market, very few out there who would put 20+ for a long term contract for a 2B. Boras might be doing Yanks a backhanded favor here.

2. RetroRob says:

Where is Bonds in this video? I don’t see anyone who looks like the player I remember in San Francisco. Maybe he was hidden behind one of the other players standing around?

3. forensic says:

That’s actually from 1991.

4. KEN says:

CAN ANY ONE EXPLAIN HOW THE YANKEES PICK A PLAYER IN THE DRAFT. DO THEY HAVE A BOARD WITH THE TOP 50 COLLEGE AND HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS AND CROSS NAMES OFF? AS OTHER TEAMS PICK. THEN SAY THIS IS WHAT’S LEFT. THEN PICK THE BEST PLAYER, NOT CARING WHAT POSITION HE PLAYS?OR GO BY POSITION?

5. trr says:

LOL, loved that video!

6. adam says:

Ken, yes. That is exactly it. Sometimes they let their kids pick the names they think sound cool, too.

7. Robinson Tilapia says:

I love Jimmy Leyland. Just a great manager. Did a great job with the ’97 Marlins and even stuck around after the fire sale out of loyalty for a year before he realized there were much better fish in the sea. I hope he’s half at good at whatever he does next as he was at managing.

And, yes, I think he was way past the point where he’d want to put up with the NY media zoo. That would have been a pipe dream.

• SDB says:

Leyland’s awesome. Love the guy, and he was a total class act.

And let’s not forget what he did for Mo in the ASG this year. One of the best moments I’ve had as a baseball fan.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

….and people still complained.

• SDB says:

I complained, but I was unprepared and didn’t have a box of tissues by my side. I just picked that moment to get dust in my eyes, really!!!

• Psycho Trish says:

Yeah it was stupid. MO was a closer. Do you know what closers do, you moron, they pitch in the LAST inning to save the game.

Why does someone as clueless as you about the sport of baseball continually post on a baseball blog. Feel free not to answer that and just log off, you dunce.

• Pat D says:

Eh, he got on my nerves with some of the stupid things he said over the last few years. Always liked him generally, but he’s become something of a grumpy old man. I won’t really shed any tears over him retiring.

8. Preston says:

So by harsh language you’re saying I should pop this up in the middle of this meeting I’m in?

9. GT Yankee says:

When I first moved from NY the Marlins were the only baseball team I saw regularly. I became a casual fan and always liked Leyland. Now after seeing him tell off future large head fearlessly I have elevated him to God status. Too bad he never got the chance to get his clinches in A-Rod.

• RetroRob says:

One of the great wrong perceptions about A-Rod is that he is a club house “cancer”, that favorite term used by many when they personally don’t like a player. All indications are A-Rod is at this stage in his career well-liked by his teammates, working and coaching many of the young players.

Of course, that said, there were many things Leyland could yell at A-Rod about!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yeah, my fandom was pretty evenly divided throughout the 90′s, from the expansion year, through the Yankee dynasty, through moving back to NY from Miami. It wasn’t until the 2003 Marlins team was dismantled that I left them behind.

The ’97 team was just awesome to watch. Good times. My favorite team won every championship from ’96 to ’00.

10. RetroRob says:

So looks like all is not well with Donnie Baseball in Dodger land. He seems annoyed.

• forensic says:

He also seems very over-sensitive. Tons of managers have managed through a ‘lame-duck’ season, especially given that he’s a first-time manager in a huge market, with slightly over .500 records his first two years for a team that had won their division in two of the three years before he started. Not to mention that they were under .500 for more than the first half of this season.

• Wolfgang's Fault says:

I think he’s done in LA. You can’t let a lame duck Mgr. manage a team w/that kind of payroll & expectations as you’re setting him up to fail – be the fall guy. Wonder if the Cubs job would be a good fit for him. I’d love to see him managing in the Bronx some day! Always hated the Dodgers, Red Sox, & Cards; lousy post-season.

11. Nathan says:

I wonder what all the hubbub was all about with the video.

12. Wheels says:

Lou Brown.

13. Bob Buttons says:

Finally, Giants win.

14. TJ says:

All fine, but I did not think that Leyland retired from managing. He made it very clear in his comments that he will be coaching again and accepting another position. He’s not done and would be great for any team.

15. Wolfgang's Fault says:

Back in July or thereabouts, Leyland was saying how much he loved managing the Tigers and how easy it was for him to come to the ballpark every day, & as they were now a consistent winner, couldn’t imagine anything else he’d rather do. Something amiss here. Bet there’s more to this then we’ve been told yet.