Oct

Thursday Night Open Thread

I mentioned the other day that FOX will air a special 90-minute Mariano Rivera feature this coming Sunday (encore on Tuesday), which will take a look into his life off the field both back home in Panama and with his family. All sorts of stuff we never get to see, really. The trailer was released today (or at least I found it today), so you can watch it via the embedded video above. Make sure you set your DVRs if you haven’t already.

Once you’re done watching that, use this as your open thread for the evening. The Red Sox and Tigers will play Game 5 of the ALCS at 8pm ET on TBS (Anibal Sanchez vs. Jon Lester), plus the Seahawks and Cardinals are playing in the Thursday Night Football Game. The Islanders, Devils, Knicks (preseason), and Nets (preseason) are all playing as well. Lots to talk about tonight. Have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. forensic says:

Almost 3 hours and no coments?

Must be a busy party night for many people…

2. YankeeTX says:

Wow Sanchez does not have it tonight.

3. WhittakerWalt says:

Postseason demigod David Ortiz hitting .100 in the ALCS?

THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!! Clutchiness is a real thing and he’s got it!

• forensic says:

He’s actually been pretty bad in 4 of his last 5 series. Other than this year’s Tampa series, his last good one came way back in 2007.

Meanwhile, Prince Fielder seems to be doing his best impression of Nick Swisher with his postseason performances. And it doesn’t sound like the Tigers fans are enjoying it.

• WhittakerWalt says:

It’s just really goddamn hard to hit in the playoffs. Even good players can’t do it sometimes. I seem to remember Vlad Guerrero was a postseason pumpkin.

4. The Real Greg says:

Red Sox are going to go from worst to World Series in 1 year.

Pays to have a good farm system

• WhittakerWalt says:

That’s really not why they’re winning. I think you probably know that.

• Look at the Yankees this year and they won 84 games. I just think most teams in baseball stunk badly this year. The Red Sox were the best of the worst so it seemed. If the Red Sox go to the World Series, which seems very likely now, they’ll win it. The National League Championship Series has two bum teams. Another sweep for the Red Sox in the World Series. Pains me to say it.

• The Real Greg says:

Nava, Boegarts, Lester, Buccholz, Padroia, Middlebrooks, Ellsbury,

All Red Sox farm players. Even Iglesias is helping stink offensively as the embedded Red Sox.

It’s not the main reason, but it’s a part of it.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Daniel Nava has a .701 OPS in the playoffs. Will Middlebrooks has a .530 OPS in the playoffs. Those guys haven’t even been replacement level, so I fail to see how they’re any kind of a factor. Are you just listing everyone in the starting lineup who came up through their farm system without bothering to see how they’re actually playing? Yes, I will grant you Bogaerts is playing great, but those other two aren’t doing anything.

I think Mike Napoli’s 1.287 playoff OPS has a bit more to do with the Red Sox’ success, and if the Yankees had signed Mike Napoli this past offseason everyone would be KILLING them for that decision. John Lackey beating Verlander 1-0 also helped quite a bit, and no one in their right mind thinks we should have gotten John Lackey.

As for Lester, Buchholz, Ellsbury, and Pedroia, well those guys have been on the team since 2006-2007. Under the established CASHMAN FAILED Rules that means they don’t really count as successes. Robinson Cano and David Robertson don’t count as Yankee drafting successes, after all.

5. Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

God only knows how badly I want Uehara to implode and blow a save, Game 7 preferably. I’m sick of Sox fans and their Ue-hardons blowing loads all over Facebook every time he throws a pitch. Talking about how he’s better than Mo and a bunch of other nonsense only Boston fans are capable of thinking up.

• I'm One says:

In fairness, there have been relievers with one season better than Mo. Papelbon was also highly touted byt Sox fans. When one of their relievers buts up even 10 years close to what Mo did during his 19 years, I’ll start to pay attention. Until then, I don’t really care what they say. We know there will be no one like Mo in our lifetimes.

• Dirty Water says:

This site is great for ridiculous comments from Red Sox hating Yankee fans. Let’s see Papelbon has been in the league 9 years and has been on the all-star team 5 times with a career era of 2.41. The four years he was an all-star on the Red Sox he had era’s of 0.92, 1.85, 2.34 and 1.85. His whip was well below one 3 of those 4 years. Uehara may very well be a one year wonder but essentially calling Papelbon a flash in the pan is ludicrous. If Uehara leads the Red Sox to win the World Series I’ll take him being a one year wonder.

• Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

I hope you’re enjoying spending your time trolling Yankee blogs while your team is out kicking ass. I doubt you’d find a regular poster on this blog anywhere near a Boston sports site; both for the fear of catching a disease and the complete lack of necessity to try and taunt an inferior franchise on their own little corner of the web.

But you’re right, I am 100% a Red Sox hating Yankee fan. I hate your franchise, your roided up Papi who is somehow still a league darling, your little dust mite “gritty” second baseman, your flash in the pan closer and your whole pink-hat fairweather “fanbase”. Actually I hate your whole “fucking city.” You and Papi can keep it.

• WhittakerWalt says:

If Papelbon winds up with a career as good as Rivera’s I will name my first born child Papelpon. Papelbon Whittaker. Bank it. He’s not a flash in the pan, but he’s also no Mo.
          How’s your beloved Big Papi doing in these playoffs? Did he run out of exotic milkshakes or something?