Nov

Feinsand: Yankees, Beltran have mutual interest; contract years an issue

Via Mark Feinsand: The Yankees prefer Carlos Beltran to more expensive outfield free agents like Shin-Soo Choo and Jacoby Ellsbury, and he has let others know New York is his top choice. The mutual interest isn’t all that surprising. Beltran seeks a three-year contract, however, and the Yankees only want to give him a two-year deal. Feinsand says this isn’t a deal-breaker.

Beltran, 36, hit .296/.336/.491 (132 wRC+) with 24 homers in exactly 600 plate appearances for the Cardinals last season. On the surface, a true switch-hitting right fielder with power and patience is exactly what the Yankees need. He’s a perfect fit. That said, Beltran carries plenty of risk and it goes beyond his age. Everything you need to know is in the Scouting The Market post. A two-year deal in the $28-30M range seems perfectly reasonable to me, but I’d probably walk away before pushing the offer to three years.

Meanwhile, Ken Rosenthal says the Yankees are staying in touch with second-tier free agents like Nate McLouth. Money is getting tight under the $189M luxury tax threshold (even if Alex Rodriguez gets suspended), so the team needs cheaper backup outfield plans just in case they spend big on pitching over the next few weeks.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Brian says:

You guys need to learn how to write headlines correctly. Very misleading here.

2. Dan says:

Doesn’t it make more sense to give him the extra year for a lower AAV? They should be willing to do 3/$30m instead of 2/$24 (as an example).

• Kevin says:

I highly doubt that Beltran would be willing to take 3 years for 30 million dollars. Beltran will probably be paid 15 million a year in whatever his contract ends up being and 30 million of 3 years does not cut it.

• Dan says:

OK, then 3/$36, instead of 2/$30. I used the numbers as a somewhat realistic example. Remember, this past contract was 2/$26, and now he’s two years older. And before signing the previous contract he was not attached to draft pick compensation (due to a clause in his Mets contract).

• Greg C says:

That’s what I would think. So I’m prepared to be corrected.

• gbyanks says:

I think the point is that other teams are gonna offer him 3 years 45

3. hogsmog says:

I’d certainly take two years of Beltran for $30m.

4. pat says:

Only 8 years too late.

5. JeffG says:

Yanks have enough aged/old players. Choo is younger and much better. I’d much rather do the extra years it takes to get a deal done with him.

6. Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d still rather have Curtis back, but two years of Beltran would be my Plan B. Not thrilled about a three-year either.

Fuck it. At least we had three hopefully-solid first rounders last year.

• lightSABR says:

This offseason is showing one of the (few) advantages of long contracts – assuming the player is usable for the length of the contract (big assumption), it means you sign fewer qualifying free agents and lose fewer draft picks.

7. Mark in VT says:

I don’t get it. How much better is Beltran compared to Granderson? It seems like Granderson could be had for less money and without losing a draft pick.

• Adam says:

I’m of the same opinion when it comes to this. Is their relative difference in value really enough to warrant giving up that pick? Yeah, I know, “draft picks are starting to become overvalued!”, etc. But I still would much rather have Granderson signed for his age 33-35 seasons at about $45-50 million while keeping the draft pick as opposed to signing Beltran for his age 37, 38 (and potentially 39) seasons at about $30 million (~45 million if it’s for 3 years). Plus Beltran’s rapidly declining walk rate has got me a bit worried and I really appreciate Granderson’s plate discipline (as it also makes the opposing pitchers work).

• Kosmo says:

Granderson has plate discipline ? fouling off pitches and then striking out 3-4 times as much as he walks gets old. Beltran is a middle of a lineup hitter which Granderson is not. Beltran is grace under pressure which Granderson is not.

• Nick says:

You guys keep talking about “keeping the draft pick”…

We’ve already lost the 1st pick for McCann. If Granderson signs elsewhere we GAIN a pick so we’d be losing nothing when Beltran signed on. You just need to compare player vrs. player. Draft picks lost/gained aren’t a factor because even if you signed Granderson you are essentially “losing a draft pick” (the theoretical one you would get for him leaving).

• Robinson Tilapia says:

At this point, you’re losing a second-round draft pick. I can understand some apprehension over losing a pick as high as the one lost for McCann, but worrying about a second-round pick is rather silly. The probability of success of a second-round pick is pretty damn low anywhere, even if you subscribe to the theory that every other org is run by MENSA members while the Yankees are run by Peter Griffin.

• BFDeal says:

If you resign Granderson, you’re not getting that draft pick anyway.

8. Adam says:

Of course the NYY are interested, he fits the bill as an over 30 year old player.

9. Bubba says:

Please no. There are enough red flags concerning Beltran to see him being part of the problem, not the solution.

10. Bob Buttons says:

2/35 is my guess.
    He’s looking for 3/45 so we gotta give him some more AAV but if it’s higher than that we might as well sign someone else.

• Wicomico Pinstripes says:

2/35 is a good guess. Probably gets it done. What if he absolutely needs that third year. An option that vests depending on PA’s? What does that push the total value to then?

• Bob Buttons says:

Maybe theres a player/mutual option for 16~18 mil that kicks in with combined 950~1050 PAs over the life of the contract or garner certain amount of MVP votes/

11. Kosmo says:

2 years 28-30 million with a mutual option for a 3rd yr with a buyout clause of 2-4 million. So either Beltran would stand to get at least 32-34 million for 2 years or 42 million for 3.

12. Cesar says:

It does say New York is his top choice

13. nyyankfan_7 says:

I’ve seen a number of people say “I’d rather have Granderson and keep the draft pick than sign Beltran”. But is this really the case? Maybe I’m looking at this wrong but:

We lost our 1st round pick by signing McCann.

If we sign Beltran and not Grandy – we will lose the supplemental draft pick we would get for Grandy signing elsewhere and our 1st pick would be in the 2nd round.

If we sign Grandy and not Beltran – we do not get the supplemental draft pick because we resigned him and we still pick for the 1st time in the 2nd round.

Is that not how this plays out or am I missing something?

• BFDeal says:

You are correct.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

The draft pick thing is out the window for me now. I couldn’t give a shit about keeping the second rounder. I still link Curtis better. More power. Already a Yankee. Serviceable to good in the field. One of the best people in baseball. We know what the warts are.

• The Other Sam says:

Even with Grandy’s shortened season doesn’t Beltran has better numbers including SLG? If it’s a years thing I get that, but the ‘already a Yankee’ thing, that amounts to he’s just cheaper.

• What does already being a Yankee have to do with it? And you mention Grandy being ‘one of the best people in baseball’…which by all accounts are true…but Beltran isn’t a bad guy.

• MannyGeee says:

He never said Beltran was a bad guy or anything. But Granderson is one of the best men in the game. No two ways about it.

I think the sentiment is that Granderson is The Evil You Know… and he does come with a lot less in the way of injury concerns.

I irrationally LOVE Beltran and the idea of him on the Yankees makes me pee a little bit. But given the choice of the two, I’d rather have Granderson for the next 2-4 years, all other things being equal. I love the idea of him batting 2nd between Gardner and Cano (yeah yeah yeah Jeter…)

• Robinson Tilapia says:

“The Devil You Know” kind of stuff. Clearly not my #1 priority on that list.

Agreed as well on Beltran.

• nycsportzfan says:

Not to mention, sometimes losing a draft pick leads to more playing time for someone who woulden’t of had it and you find diamond in the rough types. I’m not saying its better then getting the pick obviously, but it just goes to show how closely alot of these players are talent wise, as you really don’t know who will be what in baseball for the most part. So basically, i agree.

14. TWTR says:

I would like to have Beltran given their insistence on a win-now plan, but only for two years.

15. Eddard says:

Beltran will fit in just fine with Ichiro and Vernon Wells. They’re just going to keep getting older in the outfield. Old timer’s day could be played by the current Yankee squad and nobody would know the difference.

• TWTR says:

Age is a legitimate concern, but only in the context of an acknowledgement of reality,

In terms of OPS_, Beltran’s 128 over the last two years, while Wells and Ichiro’s are 90, 72 and 93.75, respectively.

So there really is no comparison, but it’s why I think three years should be a dealbreaker.

16. Yanks4ever says:

How abt 3/40-42m. W/o a NTC. Move him after 2 yrs. wouldn’t that get it done?

• Poconos Adam says:

Who exactly are you trading Beltran to when he’s 40 yrs old and making 14 mill?

Of course Beltran is going to say nice things about the Yankees….its a right of passage of being a free agent: say you respect/love/prefer/yearn for the Yankees in an effort to boost the dollar values.

17. mike says:

Love me some Beltran….even if Robbie goes, the Yanks will find a serviceable 2B somewhere who will be a net positive, as I would take McCaan/Beltran/Garza/mystery2B over Cano/Granderson/Cervelli/Ichiro/Wells

18. Crink says:

If they sign Beltran or that’d have to be the end of either Cano in pinstripes or the plan for 189. No way they could do both + get two more starting pitchers (or 400 innings)

19. Scully says:

Question for all.. lets say Beltran, regardless for who he plays for, has 3 more productive seasons and then say a crappy season and hangs em up. Is he a hall of famer?

• MannyGeee says:

Quick answer: if in those 3-4 seasons he rakes in October, then yes.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Borderline.

Please tell me you’re the Scully that calls up ESPN New York every now and then.

• Wicomico Pinstripes says:

In terms of career WAR Beltran currently sits at 64.1. His 2013 2.0 WAR was a productive season so if he has three more such seasons his cWAR will be around 70 or so. A cWAR of 70 would place him right next to Ivan Rodriguez(70.7) and Scott Rolen(70.1). That would also leave him ahead of a few HOF members. Most notably Roberto Alomar(63.9) and Tony Gwynn(62.6).

It’s a tough call but if it were up to me he would be in the HOF.

20. nycsportzfan says:

If we can get beltran at 2yrs, i’d be estatic. 2yrs and a team option for a 3rd yr would be even better. I’m kinda hoping they get Mark Reynolds locked up soon. I love the aspect of having 30hr power batting at the bottom of the order. If we add Beltran and Reynolds, i think our offense is pretty much set. Maybe add Eric Chavez to platoon with Reynolds, but otherwise, we would have a powerful offense.

Gardy
    Jeter
    Cano
    Soriano
    Beltran
    Tex
    McCann
    Reynolds
    Ichiro/Wells

Then we can focus on pitching, and only pitching. Guys like Tanaka,Feldman,Maholm,Garza, and maybe Kazmir come to mind.

• nycsportzfan says:

I’m alittle worried about Tanaka not being posted till next offseason, as hes my num 1 hopeful as a starting pitcher additon. What if he isn’t postsed and we add McCann,Beltran, and resign Reynolds and Ryan. Then would say a Feldman and Kazmir additons be enough to win a WS with the upgraded lineup?

The rotation would look like this.
      Sabathia
      Kazmir
      Nova
      Feldman
      Phelps/Pineda

• Robinson Tilapia says:

That’s a pretty scary rotation there. You have to add someone else there. Replace Kazmir with bringing back Kuroda and I feel slightly better.

Reynolds would definitely be a backup plan, to me. Would rather test the trade market a bit there.

• nycsportzfan says:

Ya, i’m alittle worried about Kazmir also. It’d definetly be a roll of the dice type pickup. I would probably go that route if Tanaka isn’t posted and/or signed by us, just because i believe Kazmir to have alot of upside, and i love the fact he balances out the rotation a bit by being a lefty.

• nycsportzfan says:

By upside, i mean he may of learned to pitch and not just throw since the arm injuries and ups and downs in his career. He just seemed diffrent last yr, more like a “pitcher”. Again, huge roll of dice though.

• Wicomico Pinstripes says:

I don’t trust Kazmir. I’d prefer Kuroda. Tanaka to me is almost a necessity. Feldman is a solid third option though.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

What’s scary about thinking he’s a necessity is the process involved in getting him in pinstripes. That would require them going absolutely nuts on the posting fee, and a process that still favors the team doing that.

A lot of moveable parts. I’d love to have him. I can’t count on him being there.

• Wicomico Pinstripes says:

True. I may be higher on him than most but I’m mostly looking to the future with him. How often do you get the chance to sign a pitcher of his ability to an AAV of 10-12m for his age 25-30 seasons? Only problem is we don’t know his true talent level yet.

• nycsportzfan says:

Hes my number 1 target this offseason as well. As you said, the chance of having a future ACE at that age when you spend like us and are as successful as us, is rare. But i have my doubts about him being here, and i think we can be creative enough to make the postseason without him, which gives any team a chance to win it all. Shoot, we almost made the postseason this past yr, and we had a AS team of injuries. So, even though i want him in pinstripes badly, i’m not willing to go as far as to say “neccesity”.

21. Mscott says:

Why does no one talk about Corey Hart? Much younger than Beltran, probably cheaper as well. Not much worse a fielder than Granderson or Choo. Plays 140+ games a year. No huge platoon issues. OPS+ 130, 133, 120 last three years. Hits .275/.280. Can play a (little) first base. What am I missing?

• plays 140 games a year? besides last year hahah…hes totally inferior bro come on. . . and my 64 year old dad can play first base, david ortiz plays first base

• Mscott says:

Over the last six years he has averaged 139.333 games played per year. And the Yankee backup first baseman is currently….

Over the last three years Beltran’s average OPS+ is 135 and Hart’s is 127.

Not saying I don’t like Beltran and that Yanks must put Hart on top of their list — I’m just asking why he isn’t part of the discussion.

22. Give him 3 years 45 million. . like they SHOULD HAVE a couple of times over the past couple years!!!!!