Nov

NYP: Yankees have interest in bringing back Raul Ibanez

Via George King & Ken Davidoff: The Yankees have some interest in a reunion with Raul Ibanez. I assume he would come back in the same role he held last summer, meaning part-time DH and part-time outfielder. At least that was the plan before Brett Gardner‘s injury forced into into the field on a nearly everyday basis. Obviously the Yankees know him well and are comfortable with what he brings to the table.

Ibanez, 41, hit .242/.307/.487 (117 wRC+) with 29 homers in 496 plate appearances for the Mariners this past season, though he was awesome in the first half (24 HR and 143 wRC+) and a disaster in the second half (5 HR and 79 wRC+). Raul whacked 19 homers with a 102 wRC+ for New York in 2012, but remember, he was pretty terrible before he started hitting all those insanely clutch homers in late-September and October. Despite his awful defense and complete inability to hit lefties, I do think Ibanez makes some sense for the current Yankees roster in a limited role. The question is whether he wants to stay close to his Seattle home.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d have more confidence in him doing slop work than I would in Vernon, to be honest.

• I'm a looser baby so why don't you kill me? says:

Yes, though that’s a pretty low bar! Also, this has “a year too late” written all over it.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Oh, it’s got a pretty good chance at being a year too late. I’d want the Randy Winn leash on him he didn’t get the first time around.

• MannyGeee says:

but what about all teh clutches? If he got the Winn Treatment in 2012, I doubt we see the ALCS, albeit briefly and with a massive level of futility.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

We were all wrong on Raaaaaaaaaaul in 2012. In retrospect, I’m glad he didn’t get that treatment.

What if Ben Francisco had 80 clutch late-season HR’s in him last year?

2. lou says:

How about the Yankees get some players in here that can hit both left and right handed hitting and stop this Jog G mix and match madness. It’s called FULL TIME players guys who can play a position FULL TIME. When you give scraps 600 to many PA you have problems. Same ol same ol.

• I'm One says:

Many teams take advantage of what a “platoon player” does best, in this case, hit right handed pitching. The Yankees have a need for that at DH, as Jeter and possibly A-Rod will be handling most of the DH role against left handed pitching. Not all players need to be FULL TIME players. I would not expect Ibanez to get 600 PAs at all. If he does, something went wrong (again).

• Robinson Tilapia says:

This is what I refer to as “DH Slop.” Someone has to DH those days you’re not rotating anyone through. Combine that and pure pinch-hitting, and I don’t see the problem here.

I also don’t want this to be confused with advocating for him to be signed. Not saying that in the least. I’m just saying it’s not the worst thing if we have the roster flexibility to do so.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

What above makes you think Ibanez would be brought in for a full-time role, or even a half-time role?

Also, we all know the dynasty team had ZERO part-time guys. ZERO. Perish the thought. Oh, wait…

• lou says:

My point! Those teams guys 1-9 went out there day in and day out with a few platoon guys here and there which was fine. What the Yankees have become the past few years is going all platoons. I don’t like this new Yankee way of cycling guys in at almost every position and because some of you here have become accustom to it doesn’t mean I have too.

This team is riddled with part time players that seem to get about 300PA to many and when your second best hitter on the team is Gardner for crying out loud there is problems in Yankee land.

Now back to those 90′s teams go look up the rosters and go check out their on base % it’ll blow your mind. BTW go look at Bostons roster for 2013 and look at their OB%. Now look at the Yankees.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

A big part of all the platoons was injuries.
          Without injuries, they would have had every day players at every position except maybe 2 last year. That’s pretty similar to the way the 90′s teams were constructed.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

You don’t understand sarcasm, do you?

• Havok9120 says:

Guys playing in platoon roles due to injuries =/= the team being designed for there to be a lot of platoon players.

3. Bavarian Yankee says:

unless he signs for the minimun or a minor league deal I don’t want any part of him. I’d rather have some kid like Almonte on the roster tbh.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d love for Almonte to have a role. I just don’t think it’d be the role I’d have Ibanez in.

At the end of the day, I’d pass on Raul, but I don’t think having a vet like this on your bench is the damning thing others are making it to me.

4. Mandy Stankiewicz says:

Have we learned anything, 2013 Yankees?

5. mike says:

Too old!!! Got to get younger

• I'm One says:

This has been dsicussed previously. There’s a plce for older players. As a platoon DH or bench player, an Ibanez-type (not necessarily him) fits just fine. You don’t have to get younger here. Every day players that are expected to field a position are a different story.

6. Kevin W. says:

David Murphy would be a better option. Justin Ruggiano/David Murphy platoon is the best cheap outfielder to be had this offseason.

7. dasani says:

Why ? Why ? Why ?

It makes more sense to sign Beltran. He can dh vs righties with Ichrio in rf, then play rf with Wells dhing vs lefties.
    Then again were all hoping for Beltran, McCann and any other big name and we’ll probably be scrapping the bottom of the barrel like we did last year.

8. There's the Door says:

The offseason is really shaping up.

9. TWTR says:

Thank for the memories, Raul, but no thanks.

10. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

How much of the $189 are they planning to spend on replacement/near-replacement level players?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Just looking into him. They seem to be looking into anyone who can actually get a pair of pants on on their own.

When you’re looking at this sort of depth, though, yeah, it doesn’t seem to go along with relative frugality. I can’t wait until something actually gives here and we know for sure what the hell they’re doing.

11. Darren says:

How much do you think the whole “Yankees are showing in an interest in [fill in the blank of literally every single free agent]” is a PR move, and how much symbolizes a real effort to sign a bunch of these guys? I get the feeling this is a dog and pony show. At the end of the season, I guarantee they’re not going over $189mm. If they sign Cano, Peralta and either McCann or Beltran, that’s about the best you can hope for. (Plus assorted slop like Ibanez or Kazmir).

12. Geno says:

Suddenly I know what a fan of a middle market team feels like.

13. LarryM Fl says:

Please say “No to Raul”, respectfully. I realize its Mike reporting every bit of info that comes his way but this is crazy not to give Almonte a 25 man spot. The Yankees will end up with5 or 6 DH’s on a 25 man roster with 11/12 pitchers insanity. This is not being efficient with roster.

14. FLYER7 says:

No problem brining back Ibanez but Wells and/or Ichiro need to go

15. Laz says:

Is there really no one better?

.240/.308/.453 for us, and that was when he only faced rhp. Corner outfielder offense is usually better than that.

16. Bob Buttons says:

“Sorry, we signed Raul. We can’t afford a big OF now since our budget doesn’t allow and we’re serious about 189″