Nov

Report: Yankees hire Marlins third base coach as special assistant to GM

Via Juan Rodriguez: The Yankees have hired Marlins third base coach Joe Espada as a special assistant to Brian Cashman. The team approached him about a pro scouting position recently. “It took me a couple of days to make the decision [because] I enjoy being on the field, but there’s stuff I need to learn,” he said. “I listened to their ideas and their plans, and was very interested to see more and be part of a winning organization.”

Espada, 38, had been with the Marlins since 2006 and had served as their third base coach since 2010. He was reassigned after the season and named the manager of their High-A affiliate in Jupiter. Espada was a second round pick in the 1996 draft and he bounced around the minors for ten seasons as an infielder before calling it a (playing) career. Don Wakamatsu, who joined the Yankees as an assistant to Cashman last winter, left the team to join the Royals’ coaching staff recently. I assume Espada is filling Wakamatsu’s role now.

Categories : Asides, Front Office

1. Mantle28 says:

assistant TO the general manager

2. Bavarian Yankee says:

also, James Rowson will rejoin the Yankees to be the minor league hitting coordinator. I think Mike hasn’t mentioned that here yet.

• OhioYanks says:

Seems like one of the player development shake-ups that so many people have been clamoring for. Things like this and last season’s shake-up to the P development staff go by unnoticed by the masses calling for change. I guess they won’t be happy until a scapegoat at the highest levels of the organization loses his job.

3. Wheels says:

Sounds like a better gig than manager of the Marlins’ High-A affiliate in Jupiter.

• RetroRob says:

I guess the main advantage to being a manager in the minors is it better positions him to be a manager in the majors, yet the Yankee gig sounds much better, especially if he has his sites set on a front office job.

4. PunkPitch says:

There are more organizational dotted lines running out of Cashman’s office than there are Protein Shakes at a Pro Wrestling convention.

5. EndlessJose says:

There not gonna be good until they fire Damon Oppenheimer.I should start a petition.

6. Mister D says:

This is an honest question, and not a criticism of Espada, Cashman or the hiring. How exactly does this work? What made the Yankees seek him out? What about being a third base coach makes the Yankees think he’d be a good scout – one good enough that they would approach HIM about the job? Sometimes I just don’t get Front Office Baseball.

• soxhata says:

He brews the best coffee,this side of Wakamatsu.Cash has needs!

• OhioYanks says:

I have no idea what happened in this situation, but I would imagine that it’s not much different from any other industry. This is a pretty small, close-knit industry. I’m sure that Cashman or someone else in the org (i.e. Girardi, who was the Marlins’ manager in 2006) knows the guy personally to at least some extent.

Like any other job, you interview the guy and get a feel for his qualifications. In this case it would be really, really easy to ask him to submit some scouting reports, do some video analysis, etc.