Nov

Weekend Open Thread

In case you missed it last week, I’m going to start using the Friday/weekend open threads as link dumps. Basically random interesting stuff I come across throughout the week that isn’t Yankees related and doesn’t wind up on RAB. This week’s collection of links is just okay, maybe a six out of ten. Wasn’t a great week for the internet. Lots of people are on vacation this time of year and plenty of others are already looking ahead to the long Thanksgiving weekend. I know I am. Anyway, enjoy.

• David Laurila interviewed Michael Girsch, an assistant GM for the Cardinals. He spoke in detail about a bunch of stuff, including the team’s internal data-compiling/sharing systems, their draft philosophies, their hitting philosophies, biomechanics, all that and more. The Cardinals are the darling organization of baseball right now and pretty much everyone wants to copy them. This is a (small) look under the hood. Pretty interesting stuff.
  • In the wake of the Prince Fielder-for-Ian Kinsler trade, Grant Brisbee looked at the various awful contracts around baseball and tried to figure out which one will be moved next. He comes up with Josh Hamilton and I tend to agree since the current market has downgraded Andre Ethier’s contract from awful to merely pretty bad.
  • Zachary Levine (subs. req’d) compiled a list of baseball memes the internet beat to death in 2013. I don’t remember seeing too much of “Robinson Cano‘s 99 problems,” but the others were inescapable. I’m not sure I’ll ever stop making gritty jokes about the Diamondbacks though.
  • And finally, if you’re a Breaking Bad fan, you’ll love this. It’s Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul reading through the final scene of the series for the first time. It’s one giant spoiler, so don’t watch the video if you haven’t seen it yet. Pretty awesome.

Friday: Here is your open thread for the night. The Islanders and Nets are the only local teams playing tonight so ZZZzzzzzz. Talk about either game or anything else here. Have at it.

Saturday: Keep the open thread going right here. All three hockey locals plus the Knicks are playing. You folks know what to do, so do it.

Sunday: Only a few more hours left in the weekend, but at least Thanksgiving is coming up. Hands down my favorite holiday. The Broncos and Patriots are the Sunday Night Football Game and that’s it. The Nets already played and none of the other locals are in action. Talk about whatever. Go nuts.

Categories : Links, Open Thread

1. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

I love that Yuniesky Betancourt on a minor league deal was listed as one of the worst contracts in baseball.

• Bob Buttons says:

He’s evil.

The last time he got his OBP over .300 was in 2008. Yet somehow he got at least 200 ABs in every season since then, and 400 in 09-11, 13. He has a knack for having GMs believing he’s the best option to help the team to win. Chris Nelson and Jayson Nix posted a better OPS than him in 2013, yet he still managed to garner 400 ABs.

2. Ronald says:

FACT: Every single person on the Botards roster and back office is a prick-chugging size queen.

3. Bo Knows says:

An entire scouting division devoted to mechanics is something the Yankees really should be doing, that an the biomechanical analysis. It would help one find those flaws that could cause injury, and probably help correct the flaws that f up command (which seems to be an issue so many Yankee pitching prospects seem incapable of fixing)

• I'm One says:

We don’t know that they don’t already have it. But if they do, they aren’t doing as good a job as they could be.

• Bo Knows says:

Word is that only about 5 teams do the biomechanical anaylysis though that may have changed

The Indians do it (CC, and Cliff Lee were the guinea pigs), Rays, Pirates We now know the Cardinals do too.

It’s not so much being good as it is whether or not teams are just relying on one or a few sets of eyes

4. TWTR says:

Every young pitcher should be taught the changeup.

5. Baked mcbride says:

McCann has landed

6. Bob Buttons says:

I’m happy.

Happy.

H-A-P-P-Y!

Been a long time since we had a catcher whom I didn’t wince when they came up in a tight game with RISP.

• Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

He only caught 92 games last year and only 114 the year before.

• Bob Buttons says:

That is a bit of a concern, but he’s only 29 and that still means 90+ games of not seeing Stewinelli.

That’s gotta feel good right? And I’m one of the most ardent (yet strangely non-vocal) Stewart supporters on the internet.

• forensic says:

If you’re talking about late in games, you’ll quite possibly still be wincing since he’ll be facing a tough lefty at that point, in all likelihood.

• Bob Buttons says:

Just overall in a game, with game within a run or two and you’d want to get a runner in, or at least not make an out.

Also, I rather trust McCann against a tough lefty than Stewart or Romine against anyone who isn’t the last man in a taxed bullpen. I pretty much winced every time I see “Now Batting: Romine” on MLB gameday.

7. Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

The McCann deal: was that Cashman’s idea or Hal/Levine?

8. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Jerry Crasnick
    ?@jcrasnick
    Free agent Jhonny Peralta closing in on a deal with #STLcards, source confirms.
    —–
    Well, the Yankees filled one hole, but the pickings for left-side of the IF help are getting slimmer.

9. Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

I like the signing, I’m gonna take it as a sign that $189 million is out the window and they’re gonna assemble the best team they possibly can until they prove otherwise!

10. C. Roy says:

I hate to say this as Cano is my favorite player (has been since he was a rookie) but I’m surprised Mark Ellis hasn’t gotten much attention as an alternative. I’m not well educated on advanced stats but he seems like a solid fit up the middle who could save us $$ under the cap to spend elsewhere. In my mind we could grab him for 5-6AAV and possibly grab a starter and Balfour for the 25 Cano will get. I know values are going up since the start of the offseason but Ellis, Balfour and Jimenez is filling some holes if they are looking at Tanaka and Beltran as players they could add while signing Cano.

11. Bob Buttons says:

Well this is bloody nice. I go to eat dinner at 14-6 comeback after dinner at 21-21 and expose myself to risk of depression and heart attack again.

Nice way to spend 3 hours that I could really use for other errands.

• mustang says:

I was cleaning while watching at 4 and 6 its best to play it safe.
      LOL

• forensic says:

I was out today so I recorded the game. When I do it with the Yankees and they lose, I still watch the game anyway. I just couldn’t bring myself to spend the time to watch these Giants though. Just not worth it.

12. mustang says:

OMG even Jose Molina got a 2 year 4.5 million deal.
    This guy was all but dead a few years back.

13. Travis L. says:

Here are my free agent contract assumptions (I was right on McCann at 6/$100M, but wrong on Ruiz at 2/$16M):

Masahiro Tanaka- $80M Posting with 5/$50M
    Carlos Beltran- 2/$30M
    Robinson Cano- 7/$175M (in February when market is all dried up)
    Omar Infante- 3/$24M
    Shin-Soo Choo- 5/$55M
    Scott Kazmir- 2/$16M
    Michael Young- 1/$5M

I’m not saying that the Yankees will sign any/all of these guys. These are just some contracts that I’m predicting will get handed out.

• JGYank says:

Choo is going to get way more than that. At least $15M per year. Apparently Beltran is also looking for a 3 or 4 year deal but I’m not sure if he gets it or not. Might get a 3 year deal but not 4. I think your spot on with the Cano deal, or at least that’s what I think he should get. He might get a little more than that in reality. Young might get a little more than that as well.

• Mike Axisa says:

You’re way, way under on Choo. I’d sign him at that price in a heartbeat.

• JGYank says:

I think he probably will reach or approach $100M, right? I think he’s 30 so he’ll probably get around 5-7 years at $16-$20M AAV.

• forensic says:

I don’t know if Choo will, or should, get $100 million. That seems high for him. Of course, I also don’t understand why people are so crazy in their huge predictions for Ellsbury either, so maybe I’m just undervaluing them.

Who knows, maybe I did it a little with my opinion of the McCann deal too…

• BM says:

Market is waay up Try:

Beltran – 3/45m
      Infante- 4/44m
      Choo- 5/100m
      Kazmir-3/24

Cano is very interesting. What team besides NYY can give him 175 mill? Angels are burned with Pujols and Hamilton. Texas has no need for a 2B. Tigers just acquired a 2B. Toronto might make sense if they deal one of Bautista/Encarnacion. I’d have 6/150 on the table for him.

• Wicomico Pinstripes says:

So you’re saying we sign Infante at starter money to back up the best 2B in the game. A 2B who has started at least 159 games since 2007?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

He’s probably trying to move him to third.

We’re going a bit nuts with the FA fantasy ideas.

• forensic says:

He says right in his comment:

14. Kluang Yankee says:

I say sign all that we can, besides its Hal’s money, not ours. We are just fans and are here to enjoy the products that Hal’s money provides. Sign Ellsbury or Choo, and Beltan for the outfield.
    Sign three of the following four starting pitchers Tanaka, Kuroda, Kazmir and Garza, and Balfour, Nathan and/or some relatively unknown relief pitcher who turns into the Uehara or 2014. You cannot have too many bullpen pitchers.
    Then add Infante for infield depth, while still trying to sign Cano. This will be an unstoppable dynamite team for 2014.
    We can get all of these guys by throwing the 189 out the window and offering whatever it takes to get them.
    We still have Jeter, Ryan and Nunez, on the left side, along with Infante if Cano does signs.
    This will be like the Yankees of old, a veritable All-Star team and Hal will make up at the gate and through merchandise to make up for the luxury tax.
    This is also revenge against Selig for treating the Yankees and ARod in the acrimonious and detrimental way that he has. Someone can figure out what this will cost, but it really does not matter since the money will be made up in other avenues.
    Don’t wait for ARod and Cano decisions, but go all out and be proactive.
    Can you imagine the press conference with all these signees present.

15. MC says:

Spent the last hour or so reading about various places Cano can go and there are compelling arguments for the Nationals and Mariners to overpay. The Jays, have their rules about years and I don’t see them breaking that now, for Cano. The Cubs are being strangely quiet and while it doesn’t make sense for them to sign Cano, there is little about Epstein’s process that has made sense over the years, so they could drop a $200mm bid for the sake of bidding, and that’s already above the Yankee max. Of course there are the Tigers, Rangers and even the Met’s, but that’s much less likely. Seattle is in a real bind up there and this could be game changer for them.

16. MC says:

Beyond securing pitching, which actually shouldn’t be that difficult, weirdly (even with draft pick attached) the market has a quite a few 3-5′s, the Yanks should be looking at a young 3rd baseman. For me, that’s one I want to see most. Arod is never putting pinstripes on again and I’ve said that for a while. Even Olney said it in his column today, that should it be 11, 111, 211 or whatever games, the moment that suspension is served, and he is activated, he will be released, along with any remaining money owed. Which, actually, I’ve wanted to ask people on here about..If that happens, do the Yanks just owe salary? I know that he has those milestone bonuses, so if released, is that considered “guaranteed” money?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

They need a starting-caliber 3B. The FA market isn’t going to bring that. They’re going to have to get creative there.

I still want the one-year relationship with the Panda.

17. Robinson Tilapia says:

I need Knowshon Moreno to basically get every offensive play the rest of this game.

18. nycsportzfan says:

David Murphy signed with the Indians. I think its a ever small little bit better chance we get Grandy back or Beltran with Murphy now gone. Another domino drops.

19. nycsportzfan says:

Dan Haren is signing with Dodgers, so we can cross his name off the list as well, which makes me very happy!!